Josh Moon has some Malzahn info

TitanTiger

27 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Hopping on to a sinking ship though.

But if he leaves on a life raft, it’s still a win. Dude just needs an opportunity to get back in the game regardless of the overall outcome.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, DAG said:

Because they are out to fire Gus. This is known. It is not known whether Gus and Freeze will make a difference. It’s a big risk. He be better off waiting to see what happens at Auburn then apply for the job if Gus gets fired lol.

Ahhh, you meant unwise for Freeze.  I thought you meant unwise for AU.   Gotcha.

5 minutes ago, kwagoner said:

But if he leaves on a life raft, it’s still a win. Dude just needs an opportunity to get back in the game regardless of the overall outcome.

Doesn’t mean he needs to jump at a situation of desperation. His time will come.

1 minute ago, EagleEye67 said:

Ahhh, you meant unwise for Freeze.  I thought you meant unwise for AU.   Gotcha.

Exactly!

Let me get this straight (too much to read in this thread)..  Leath is digging in and doubling down on Gus. He doesn't want to fire him. The PTB and money men want Gus gone. Greene is just caught in the middle at this point.  My question is: Who has the power to fire Leath? And why haven't they pulled the trigger already? 

3 hours ago, DAG said:

But do you have a source or anything to back what you are saying? Any article whatsoever? If you have a glimmer of something for what you are saying then I am all ears, otherwise, I feel like all of this is based on the fact that you don't like that we hired a guy from Buffalo.

Man do a search of Greene and this guy....fanatical. He's not mad at a coach or anything.....He's going hard at this guy lol. He was protesting at his interview, waiting for the plane when it landed with him in it.....going hard😂 I've never seen anything like it

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

Doesn’t mean he needs to jump at a situation of desperation. His time will come.

Oh it will come. But he could come in at a time of desperation, dig our offense from the bottom of the trash can and  make it just mediocre and look like a good, reformed  OC. He could get a job even if Gus is let go.  Or do very well and have offers left and right. If things stay the same, he was “handcuffed” and Gus takes the blame.

Looks like a win/blowout win situation. (For Freeze, possibly Auburn)

Am I the only one that finds it odd that so far NOBODY from the AU admin has come out and vehemently denied these rumors? We’re almost halfway through the day after this leaked and it’s crickets.

34 minutes ago, Timbeaux38 said:

Bill Clark is a home-run... unfortunately everyone wants a monster name, so he wont happen.

Who is the next "Diamond in the Rough" head coach?

Who at LSU would have thought a 57.6% winning head coach from Michigan State would get the Bengal Tigers a Conference Championship in two years and National Championship in four?

Who would have thought a coach with only FCS and non-Power 5 FBS experience, with a 2-1 record against ranked teams (and modestly ranked at that, with wins over #25 and #20, and a loss to #23), would get Florida a National Championship in only two years, and in four years a second Natty, doubling Spurrier's count?

That is the trick. Find that coach. One thing in common with Saban and Meyer is they both had 15 years of college assistant coaching under their belt when they got their first head coaching job, and that job was with a small school. Both moved around a lot as assistants, and were not associated with juggernauts during their time as assistants. Both were associated with two conference championships each during their 15 year tenures as assistant coaches.

Where is the guy with a lot of experience as an assistant under a several different coaches at several different schools who then overachieved as a head coach? Where is the guy with 20 years of total coaching experience, but only about 5 years of head coaching experience?

Bob Stoops is a little different. 16 years as an assistant (there is that magic number again), but all of his head coaching experience has been at one school. In two years he had a National Championship.

Dabo Swinney is even more different. 16 years as an assistant (are we seeing a trend yet?), but a more limited coaching tree, and a successful transition from interim head coach to average head coach to elite program head coach.

Did anyone at Oklahoma expect 14 ten-win seasons out of 18 years when they hired Stoops? Did anyone expect Swinney to produce 8 ten-win seasons and a National Championship out of 11 years when Clemson decided to remove the "interim" label"?

What would have happened in Clemson had fired Dabo after his 2010 losing season and some other school had picked him up? What would have happened if another school had hired him away in his first few years? Same for Bob Stoops. My guess is they probably would have found similar success elsewhere.

1 minute ago, PigskinPat said:

Am I the only one that finds it odd that so far NOBODY from the AU admin has come out and vehemently denied these rumors? We’re almost halfway through the day after this leaked and it’s crickets.

This is the only thing that gives me hope that this story is for real.

2 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Image result for run silent run deep gif

1 minute ago, PigskinPat said:

Saw somebody say on 247 “The silence is deafening”, which is fitting. They’ll have to say something here soon, but the fact that they haven’t yet tells me that some wheels are turning behind the scenes. The end result? Who knows, but something is happening.

If this story is true as reported, can you people imagine the stress and turmoil of trying to make it happen,  while also trying to keep it quiet in case it doesn't happen?

1 hour ago, keesler said:

It's a far fetched notion for sure.  Crazy stuff.

I remember in mid to late 80s.  Bill Curry was UA coach, had lost twice or 3 times consecutively to AU.  Joab Thomas was president at UAT.  He came out with statement fully supporting Coach Curry.  Headlines in Birmingham News at the time from a UA Trustee said, Someone should tell Dr. Thomas that it is as easy to fire the university president as it is to fire the football coach.  Not as far fetched as you think.  And Curry was gone as I recall. (not sure about Joab Thomas -- think he came around).

It seems like a "boom or bust" situation.

If the PTB gets Gus fired, but the new coach they want backs out, then we still must hire somebody.  And we may have to choose from a pool of coaches with little more pizazz than Gus.

Better made plans have failed miserably.

3 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Saw somebody say on 247 “The silence is deafening”, which is fitting. They’ll have to say something here soon, but the fact that they haven’t yet tells me that some wheels are turning behind the scenes. The end result? Who knows, but something is happening.

Or maybe it's just a tempest in a teapot.  The teapot being AUFamily, 247, and the like.  

I have not kept up on the drama, but I recall Brandon Marcello saying AU was playing hardball with CGM when CGM asked AU for money to pay buyouts on the assistants he wanted to fire.

Personally, I would tell Gus he either would have to pay those buyouts out of his checkbook, or if he wanted the Bank of AU to foot the bill, it would cost him his current contract, which would have to be renegotiated as part of the deal. I would not go too far with the renegotiation, but the guarantee would drop, and the 50% in 30 days would be completely gone. Perhaps 50% in the first year, but no way 50% in the first 30 days.

Don't like that? We gave you everything you asked for. We gave you the assistants you wanted at the salaries and contracts they asked for. You have to make it work.

PM: “Regardless of anyone’s belief of whether the good trumps the bad or the bad trumps the good, the bigger question might be whether the Malzahn-Auburn marriage is irretrievably broken. It’s not healthy and really rarely has been. That’s why agreeing to a $49 million contract and, worse, guaranteeing 75 percent of it was so unwise. It’s difficult to see how Malzahn can prosper at Auburn after all this.”

https://auburn.247sports.com/Board/42/Contents/Phillips-unhinged-thoughts-Nov-27-Irretrievably-broken-125439917/

Just now, KolchakAU85 said:

If the PTB gets Gus fired, but the new coach they want backs out, then we still must hire somebody.  And we may have to choose from a pool of coaches with little more pizazz than Gus.

this im less concerned about honestly. I think we know Gus. he isn;t going to figure out how to program build all the sudden. id be fine just getting rid of him and rolling the dice with an up and comer until there is someone else available.

i know that probably sounds dumb, but id be much better failing, trying someone new, than failing with Gus.

fear of failing on a new coach shouldn't scare Auburn into keeping a failing coach.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

And the lack of a program.  Each year is a toss up. There is no guiding principle, no foundation, no direction, no focus, and no identity. We don't have a football program. Each year is unknown. We never seem to build or develop towards the future.

^^^What he said...

2 minutes ago, fasttimes said:

this im less concerned about honestly. I think we know Gus. he isn;t going to figure out how to program build all the sudden. id be fine just getting rid of him and rolling the dice with an up and comer until there is someone else available.

i know that probably sounds dumb, but id be much better failing, trying someone new, than failing with Gus.

fear of failing on a new coach shouldn't scare Auburn into keeping a failing coach.

Bravo!

4 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

PM: “Regardless of anyone’s belief of whether the good trumps the bad or the bad trumps the good, the bigger question might be whether the Malzahn-Auburn marriage is irretrievably broken. It’s not healthy and really rarely has been. That’s why agreeing to a $49 million contract and, worse, guaranteeing 75 percent of it was so unwise. It’s difficult to see how Malzahn can prosper at Auburn after all this.”

https://auburn.247sports.com/Board/42/Contents/Phillips-unhinged-thoughts-Nov-27-Irretrievably-broken-125439917/

You know what I believe though? Even though Sexton negotiated this for Gus, I have to imagine he probably warned  him of the consequences of such desire. You better win sir or crap will hit the fan.

7 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Yeah, that's the "negative" to this situation....but still could be very positive.

Now, they've dangled a Ferrari in front of us so we might now feel disappointed in "only" getting a Corvette.

But either is better than the rear-ended Pinto we have now.

Archived