Josh Moon has some Malzahn info

TitanTiger

1 minute ago, aucom96 said:

Gus is a small time coach and thinks like one. He looks for tricks and shortcuts instead of building a solid foundation. This is what his scheme was all about. He used built-in substitution advantages over the defense with his no huddle offense. Once those advantages were removed, our "Auburn Fast" went the way of the dodo. He wrote a book. He thinks he has the game figured out and he doesn't. So lacking talent and depth on the offensive line? The scheme has an answer, we just don't execute. Have completely predictable and limited passing routes? If it works in theory, it should always work...so execution again. Feeding the ball 30 times between the tackles to a 180 pound RB? It should work, just bad execution. 

Gus needs to be in the Sunbelt at best. He can't handle the talent and coaching that the SEC has. 

Jay Tate thinks his approach on offense is still rooted somewhat in his high school days.  High school coaches for the most part have to make it work with the players they get.  There's really not much recruiting at that level for most schools.  You get who is zoned for you or who can pay to come to your private school and you fit them in to what you're doing.  I think on a cognitive level he gets that he can recruit better players, but he doesn't seem to grasp roster management, particularly on the offensive side.  So we'll sign one OT in three classes but have 13 WRs over the same period.  Crap like that.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ijs... they could simply fire him. So many here have said the cash is there. I see tons of posts validating Gus sucks as a HC that’s it’s nauseating. So what’s the hold up?? Either the money is not there like some here say or maybe Gus has the biggest money backer in his corner. I’m not about to overthink this...it seems to me Leath left it up to Gus’s main supporter (Harbert who helped iron out the extension in the first place) and said I’m going to DC, don’t spend another dime and y’all sort this crap out cause I don’t know crap about football anyway. All the while Greene is chilling in the shadows waiting to hit the you fired button.

4 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Put me in the very skeptical group that this reduced buyout is even a real thing:

1) The university hasn't made a statement

2) Undercover 247 was the one who started it.

WBRC said they confirmed the story that 24/7 put out.

No one has made a statement because there hasn't been anything officially agreed upon.  It just appears at this point they floated this proposal out there and Gus called their bluff, which they didn't expect.

Until I see this being reported by more prominent sources, this whole episode is hard to believe. Gus is forfeting multi-millions just to work at Auburn? Give me a break. When it starts running on ESPN, CBS, FoxSports etc, then I'll believe this.  Honestly, this has a very shady feel to it. Like someone is trying to mess with our recruiting class. 

Dude, no one is going on the record with a televised roundtable on ESPN.  There are multiple places saying this is what is happening behind the scenes.  Plugging your ears and closing your eyes doesn't change it.  To your earlier point, if it's total BS being stirred up to hurt recruiting, Auburn would have made a statement shooting it down.  The fact that they aren't saying anything only makes it more likely, not less.

7 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Put me in the very skeptical group that this reduced buyout is even a real thing:

Until I see this being reported by more prominent sources, this whole episode is hard to believe. Gus is forfeting multi-millions just to work at Auburn? Give me a break. When it starts running on ESPN, CBS, FoxSports etc, then I'll believe this.  Honestly, this has a very shady feel to it. Like someone is trying to mess with our recruiting class. 

Haha 7-5 messes with the recruiting class. 

6 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

You are right about prominent sources- the only TV outlet to report it is some station in Bham. The only other sources are internet click bait sites. Maybe that will change soon?

27 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

So is this just a regular scheduled daily flight? Lol

This flight tracker garbage needs to die. That plane is owned by Raycom Media/Retirement System of Alabama (thats why there's a giant RTJ golf logo on the plane). Raycom is based in Montgomery and owns the transcripts in Norman, Oklahoma. This is all over google.

Raycom Media Inc. and Community Newspaper Holdings Inc., The Norman Transcript’s parent company, announced Monday they have agreed to merge, forming one of the nation’s largest privately owned media groups.

https://www.normantranscript.com/news/business/raycom-media-inc-cnhi-announce-merger/article_8209dc18-17df-5c37-a9a5-8850cb890eb2.html

3 hours ago, CR said:

Tate said AU offered this deal confident that Gus would reject it and they would negotiate a buyout at that point, Instead, he called their bluff, and now they are stuck. An absolute mess for everyone involved. Sorry if this is old news I can't keep up with the thread.

This is what I don't get.  If Gus rejects it, there's no obligation to negotiate anything.  He's not violating the terms of his CURRENT contract -  all he has to do is demand that AU fulfill their half of the existing contract.  No "buyout negotiation" required.

AU played right into Sexton's hands again on this one.

Gus won the game of chicken (didn't flee from an arrangement he should have fled from).

Now you admit defeat, pay him his buyout, and bring in this guy that has essentially agreed to come in  for the right price. If he doesn't really exist you take the small option and save some money to be spent towards the facilities instead of a coach. Fans will groan we didn't get the big name but to be frank someone like Bill Clark has as much of a chance of succeeding at Auburn as any "proven" coach that would realistically come here.

No matter what we decide to do it needs to happen ASAP.

11 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Jay Tate thinks his approach on offense is still rooted somewhat in his high school days.  High school coaches for the most part have to make it work with the players they get.  There's really not much recruiting at that level for most schools.  You get who is zoned for you or who can pay to come to your private school and you fit them in to what you're doing.  I think on a cognitive level he gets that he can recruit better players, but he doesn't seem to grasp roster management, particularly on the offensive side.  So we'll sign one OT in three classes but have 13 WRs over the same period.  Crap like that.

What about the everybody knows what play to expect from personnel thing? I just feel that he has very remedial problems that on the lowest level of coaching would be addressed

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Dude, no one is going on the record with a televised roundtable on ESPN.  There are multiple places saying this is what is happening behind the scenes.  Plugging your ears and closing your eyes doesn't change it.  To your earlier point, if it's total BS being stirred up to hurt recruiting, Auburn would have made a statement shooting it down.  The fact that they aren't saying anything only makes it more likely, not less.

I'm not plugging my ears and closing my eyes, I'm using basic logic that says what kind of fool would allow millions to be ripped away from him? What kind of fool would allow tighter restriction to be put on him, for essentially nothing in return, except a job in Auburn? What is being reported (by small-time outlets BTW), goes against natural human instinct. Anyone with half a brain would keep trying, and if their employer didn't like the result, then they can fire me, but I'm not giving them money that was agreed upon at an earlier date. 

Gus could get fired and have enough money for generations. Are ya'll really thinking he did this out of the goodness of his heart? You really think he wants to be at Auburn so bad that he gave up $5, $10, $15 million dollars? Yeah, I'm skeptical.

why do we keep rehashing Gus' shortcomings as a coach? Everybody I mean everybody who doesn't have their head up their keester knows them by now and nobody can argue otherwise. Can we stay with discussion of events? We need more breaking news!

Just now, cole256 said:

What about the everybody knows what play to expect from personnel thing? I just feel that he has very remedial problems that on the lowest level of coaching would be addressed

I miss the days when Auburn ran about 10 plays out of the same formation and the defense had to guess which play was coming while going fast.  Hopefully with a true “dual threat” Qb Auburn can get back to fast.

2 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

I'm not plugging my ears and closing my eyes, I'm using basic logic that says what kind of fool would allow millions to be ripped away from him? What kind of fool would allow tighter restriction to be put on him, for essentially nothing in return, except a job in Auburn? What is being reported (by small-time outlets BTW), goes against natural human instinct. Anyone with half a brain would keep trying, and if their employer didn't like the result, then they can fire me, but I'm not giving them money that was agreed upon at an earlier date. 

Gus could get fired and have enough money for generations. Are ya'll really thinking he did this out of the goodness of his heart? You really think he wants to be at Auburn so bad that he gave up $5, $10, $15 million dollars? Yeah, I'm skeptical.

You cannot get in Gus' head so stop trying.

2 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

The type of fool who thought it was smart to use 4 different QBs on a prominent national televised game.

19 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Gotcha, like when the national media was all over Bruce and our Auburn beat writers said there is no way he is gone or connected to Person.  National media pummeled us for Cam, nothing to see either like the local guys said.  Prominent is local for Auburn

1 minute ago, TigerFanAU said:

Anyone with half a brain would keep trying, and if their employer didn't like the result, then they can fire me, but I'm not giving them money that was agreed upon at an earlier date. Gus could get fired and have enough money for generations. Are ya'll really thinking he did this out of the goodness of his heart? You really think he wants to be at Auburn so bad that he gave up $5, $10, $15 million dollars? Yeah, I'm skeptical.

Nobody really knows what is going on, but if they really are trying to re-negotiate his contract, my guess would be that they want to structure the buyout differently. I think Gus would still demand his entire pay (who wouldn't) but AU is wanting to reduce the huge buyout in the first 30 days and lengthen the time it takes to pay him off (including language of no payments when he gets another job, etc). That is my guess. I agree that nobody would sit down at the negotiating table and take less when the contract has already been signed. 

Here's the problem with giving him a reduced buyout and essentially restructuring his contract.

If Sexton is involved with the restructuring, and why wouldn't he be, then we're just going to handcuff ourselves to Gus for additional seasons. Yes, seasons plural. Think about it from Gus' perspective. No one would reduce their buyout without guarantees that they wouldn't be immediately fired. Imagine agreeing to a reduced buyout and then getting fired immediately after.

This is entirely speculation but if we go through with the reduced buyout then I think we're stuck with Gus for not only next season but at least another season after that. That being said, if we retain Gus and win 9+ games I don't want the sunshine pumpers back in force. We know who Gus is and he's had just shy of a decade to grow and improve as a coach. He is a guy that will consistently lose 4-5 games every year.

Quite frankly the bar for Auburn football should be higher than 4-5 losses on average.

I can only think of one reason for Gus to accept a revised contract that reduces his financial position.  Could it be that he and Sexton were told the contract was improperly executed and there is going to be litigation over the terms when he is fired?

If litigation were to follow, it would not be good PR for AU.

The entire Gus saga is one for the books.

4 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

You cannot get in Gus' head so stop trying.

No I can't. If all this is true, then I am truly baffled on the inner workings of this man. Calling whacky football plays is one thing, taking away generational money from kids, grandkids, great-grandkids is on an entire different level. Giving up money that was contractually given to him fair and square, and allowing tighter restrictions on his coaching hires, just wow. I won't believe it until someone signs on the dotted line.

13 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

There are a few things at play here that I don't think you're grasping.  

First, Gus is not primarily motivated by money.  The money was just a means to an end and that end was job security.  It was merely a tool that he felt would keep the wolves at bay and stop the negative recruiting being used against us saying he was on the hot seat.

Second, Gus is not in a position of strength right now.  Last year he had Arkansas coming after him.  But after dropping the turd he did this season, there is no other big offer out there.  If he leaves Auburn, it will be to take a significant step down.  Texas Tech might be the best he could hope to get and he knows that no job he could get at this point will afford him the same chance to win at the highest levels than the one he has right now.

Third, Gus is very stubborn and prideful.  He doesn't want to go out having failed and he's hellbent on the belief that he can fix this and prove everyone wrong who doubts him.  Taking a lower tier job like Texas Tech, Louisville, Purdue, etc would be failure to him.  

Finally, these "small time outlets" are far more connected to people on the inside at Auburn than anyone at CBS, ESPN or other national outlets would be.  These guys have been covering Auburn for years, even decades in some cases.  Dismissing it because it's not plastered on ESPN yet is completely assbackwards when it comes to stuff like this. 

He already has plenty of money.  And even accepting a reduced buyout, he'd have plenty of money.  He's not a guy who lives ostentatiously.  He can have the same satisfying standard of living on a $12-16 million buyout that he can have on $32M.  A guy can only spend so much money in his life, particularly if getting more "things" isn't really a big motivator for him.

12 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

If you take the reporting at face value, Gus will stay as long as he's allowed to no matter the circumstances.  He wants to win a natty.  He's not doing that at Texas Tech, Louisville, or Colorado.  If giving up some leverage means he can stay here and try to win, then that's what he'll do.  At this point, I fully expect him back unless our PTB just decide to fire him and pay the full buyout.

He isn't doing it at Texas Tech or Louisville most likely... but given the right alignment of the stars, he COULD win one at Colorado. POSSIBLY Louisville. But I doubt it. Colorado absolutely could win one if everything lined up perfectly.

11 hours ago, Aunonymous said:

Auburn athletics (specifically football) is a revenue generator & isn't funded by tuition, student fees, etc.  Running Auburn football & running the rest of the university are two very different things.  While the increased prestige, licensing, etc. that comes with being a successful football or basketball school is nice, it's not a big deal for the academics.  

Yeah that isn't completely true. Someone talked about it the other day in some thread about buyouts being paid with student funds.  No idea who it was, but I know someone said that in a post with Mods posting and people agreed so...

10 hours ago, 1auburn1 said:

Lessee....coach takes buyout cut to make him easier to fire next year.   “Great” for recruiting.  Next coaching prospects see how Auburn forced changes to a contract so now no coach worth a flip would ever want to accept the job.  

Great job AU Admin!   JABA

Auburn didn't FORCE Gus to sign anything. They put a contract in front of him they effectively neutered him, no one expected Beta Gus to submit, but that's exactly what HE did. Auburn forced nothing on him.

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

All our National Prominence is doing is exposing him as a hack. He needs to be coaching somewhere where his goofy offense works and he doesn't look so silly. Also he must be somewhat of a masochist to STILL want to be here, at this point.

This isn't necessarily the truth. Look on Twitter. People from North Texas to Colorado, to Virginia Tech are calling for their schools to hire Gus. 

He isn't the one that is looks like an idiot in this situation... We are for wanting him out. Apparently us wanting him out is beyond peoples comprehension.

1 hour ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Isn't the buyout actually $16 mil up front and $ 4 mil a year for 4 years? so the $ 32 mil figure isn't correct (as far as being up front), right?

In the event Malzahn is fired without cause Auburn owes him 75 percent of the total remaining money on the deal — half of that within 30 days, the other half in installments over the next four years. The math here isn’t that complicated, but Malzahn’s buyout would work out to about $32.1 million if Auburn fired him on Dec. 1, 2018. This is before he effectively neutered himself yesterday.

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

And 9 guards. I just don't get it. If he was recruiting guards who had the wingspan to play OT, then that would be a lot better.... But he doesn't. Its mainly OGs and WRs 

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

That being said, if we retain Gus and win 9+ games I don't want the sunshine pumpers back in force. 

Look at the 2019 schedule- easily toughest in the nation. Look at how badly the roster has been mismanaged. Do you honestly see 9 wins next year? The only sunshine pumpers will be the delusional types.

5 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I miss the days when Auburn ran about 10 plays out of the same formation and the defense had to guess which play was coming while going fast.  Hopefully with a true “dual threat” Qb Auburn can get back to fast.

I think the substitution rule changed everything for the HUNH. Now that it slows the game down considerably, you are 100% correct. The only way to get this offense working is to have a DT QB, keep the same personnel in the game, have about 10 plays with the QB keep being one of them, and to go fast. That is it. Gus may as well just come out and say he is the OC because that is the truth anyway. Give him a DT QB and let him do what he used to be good at - running the offense his way with nobody standing in his way. That is why he was hired anyway. He is not a CEO coach. If the O does not work, there is nobody to blame but him. You then fire him after next season and move on...

It still does not solve the problem of building a PROGRAM, but it will correct the team for a year. 

2 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Look at the 2019 schedule- easily toughest in the nation. Look at how badly the roster has been mismanaged. Do you honestly see 9 wins next year? The only sunshine pumpers will be the delusional types.

With Oregon having their QB back (supposedly), they will be picked to win the Pac whatever. Sounds familiar. The 2019 schedule is brutal. Oregon (in TX), AT FL, AT LSU, AT TAM and of course Uga and AL. It will be interesting. 

3 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Yeah that isn't completely true. Someone talked about it the other day in some thread about buyouts being paid with student funds.  No idea who it was, but I know someone said that in a post with Mods posting and people agreed so... 

That's definitely not accurate.  For Gus' buyout, I believe regular TUF funds aren't even going to be tapped, it would be big-name donors (think Broadway Club level) making special contributions. 

Archived