Tuberville weighs in ...

RunInRed

Is it good enough to catch the runaway train in Georgia and Alabama? No, because no one is going to catch them."

The last sentence is telling...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, alexava said:

I agree with tubbs. Auburn got crucified for going behind his back to hire a coach before he was fired. Now some of the same people who crucified that movement are applauding this rumor. And Bruce pearl has not accomplished a tenth of what Gus has. 

Um Bruce has already caught Gus. They both have won a sec title. But it is not exactly apples to apples. Auburn winning a conference title and hanging a banner in basketball is the equivalent to vandy or miss st doing so in football. Bruce is special man. Gus is not. Gus just did something that chizik and tubs did before him and Bowden would of done if we were not on probation. We win in spite of our average coaches in football because Auburn is a great job in football. We are a terrible job in basketball and arguably the worst program historically in sec history.

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Um Bruce has already caught Gus. They both have won a sec title. But it is not exactly apples to apples. Auburn winning a conference title and hanging a banner in basketball is the equivalent to vandy or miss st doing so in football. Bruce is special man. Gus is not. Gus just did something that chizik and tubs did before him and Bowden would of done if we were not on probation. We win in spite of our average coaches in football because Auburn is a great job in football. We are a terrible job in basketball and arguably the worst program historically in sec history.

😄   Took Chiz and Gus about 3 years to win a National Championship....something that no AU coach had done in about 50 years.....FIFTY YEARS between national championships.....and Gus was back a few years later.    Gotta at least recognize that. 

And yes basketball never accomplished much before BP....mostly because AU fans did not take it seriously for most of the last 50 years.   Talk about average coaches, look at the people hired to coach our basketball from 1960s forward.    BP certainly turned things around but he had a pretty low hurdle to get over. 

21 hours ago, channonc said:

I'm sure I'm about to state a very unpopular opinion, but I'm not sure he's completely wrong in his assessment. I thought Jetgate was ridiculous and still think that there is a stain on Auburn because of it. I also was not supportive of getting rid of CTT in 2003, so TIFWIW. While I wish we didn't have such strong armed donors, where I think he gets it wrong is to assume that it's not like that at most schools-- at least most schools who expect (and also invest) in facilities, coaches, etc. to compete for championships don't have these types of donors who expect and in turn wield a lot of power and influence around the program. Unfortunately, the good and the bad come with success, and strong-armed donors/boosters can be a mix of both. While I think Auburn has had trouble luring a top coach to Auburn, I don't think it is for the things he cites, but rather our inferiority complex that seems to come out during times like these. Just scroll through a couple of threads and you will see what I mean. Many fans think that "no way would [INSERT BIG NAME HERE] ever come here because..."

I also agree that Auburn is a mess right now, but again, I think that is a temporary situation. Look at Alabama during the Shula years. They were a mess. They ended up getting out of it and dominating. We have the same opportunity to turn it around provided that we are willing to do what it takes.

I like and admire CTT, and will always be grateful for what he has done at Auburn. All that being said, I'm fine with him stating his opinion and think he was bound to be asked all things considered.

While I rooted against the PTB in 2003 because I thought they were making a huge mistake, I'm rooting for them now. Clearly, a naive President signed a mediocre coach to a contract extension that shouldn't have even been considered.

If Auburn had stuck to their guns and hired Petrino, we would be celebrating a couple of national championships. He was that good. Of course, he would have found a pretty secretary and gone to the NFL to self-destruct, but we were in a great position to dominate the SEC at that time. Then Tubs brought us down the long slide to mediocrity. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

😄   Took Chiz and Gus about 3 years to win a National Championship....something that no AU coach had done in about 50 years.....FIFTY YEARS between national championships.....and Gus was back a few years later.    Gotta at least recognize that. 

And yes basketball never accomplished much before BP....mostly because AU fans did not take it seriously for most of the last 50 years.   Talk about average coaches, look at the people hired to coach our basketball from 1960s forward.    BP certainly turned things around but he had a pretty low hurdle to get over. 

Not to nitpick, but they won the Natty in year 2, FWIW...

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

That was not a low hurdle, man. To dig us out of the mess that was was AU hoops post-Cliff Ellis and turn things around was a MONUMENTAL TASK.

Now, if you're saying comparing him to his predecessors t hen yes I agree it is easier for him to look favorable because of the laughable names we hired; to be be better than Lebo and Barbee isn't that big of a deal. But it was not a low hurdle to dig the program out of the hole we were in. Lol we didn't even have enough scholarship players to scrimmage in practice that's how craptastic of shape the program was in.

13 hours ago, Kaoz said:

Is it good enough to catch the runaway train in Georgia and Alabama? No, because no one is going to catch them."

Yep. Tubs like Gus are their own worst own enemies. Tommy use to talk a lot of smack back in the day about bama and uga. “Bring on Saban” bla bla bla. Now that? 

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

That was not a low hurdle, man. To dig us out of the mess that was was AU hoops post-Cliff Ellis and turn things around was a MONUMENTAL TASK.

Now, if you're saying comparing him to his predecessors t hen yes I agree it is easier for him to look favorable because of the laughable names we hired; to be be better than Lebo and Barbee isn't that big of a deal. But it was not a low hurdle to dig the program out of the hole we were in. Lol we didn't even have enough scholarship players to scrimmage in practice that's how craptastic of shape the program was in.

Don't know  how long you've been around but about every incoming AU coach inherited nothing in the way of good ball players....players usually bailed out when a new coach arrived but BP definitely did a better job building things back up but keep in mind it was his 4th season when he had his first winning season.  His energy and charisma is what kept people off his back long enough for him to get things going forward...JMO.

11 hours ago, AU64 said:

MBCSNS is nothing more than organized opinion.  Dye should have won 1983.  Tater Tot should have won 1991.  Tubs should have won 2004.

Clown show was recognized in 2010 and choked away on fake punt in 2013.  Outliers.  Who frick'in cares at this point?

On 11/27/2018 at 2:48 PM, milehighfan said:

I still remember the 05 IB and Auburn could have beaten bama as bad as they wanted but Tubervile took his foot off the gas in the second half. I kept wondering why? I still don't know the reason.

It wasn't the second half. Tubs took his foot off the accelerator in the second quarter. 

On 11/27/2018 at 2:07 PM, alexava said:

I agree with tubbs. Auburn got crucified for going behind his back to hire a coach before he was fired. Now some of the same people who crucified that movement are applauding this rumor. And Bruce pearl has not accomplished a tenth of what Gus has. 

Yeah, ol' Pine Box Tommy wouldn't know anything about negotiating with another entity behind anyone's back, right? Or using something as flimsy as "am I duck hunting or am I interviewing" games on an annual basis to leverage money from an employer, would he? 

2 hours ago, Scribe Tiger said:

Yeah, ol' Pine Box Tommy wouldn't know anything about negotiating with another entity behind anyone's back, right? Or using something as flimsy as "am I duck hunting or am I interviewing" games on an annual basis to leverage money from an employer, would he? 

Exactly Scribe.  tupperware is just a bitter former failed coach who will take every opportunity to dis Auburn.  Has been doing that since he "resigned" and we still gave him the 5million buyout.  I do not have any respect for him or his vengeful comments.  Wish that Bill Cameron would not have him on his 106.7 show.

5 hours ago, Scribe Tiger said:

This. Tub's getting pissed off about negotiating behind peoples back? :rollin:

10 hours ago, oracle79 said:

MBCSNS is nothing more than organized opinion.  Dye should have won 1983.  Tater Tot should have won 1991.  Tubs should have won 2004.

Clown show was recognized in 2010 and choked away on fake punt in 2013.  Outliers.  Who frick'in cares at this point?

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.....at least the 2010 guys won it on the field....and 2013 got there with a flawed team.   Seemed important at the time :)

Tubs is a poster boy for making a mess of things!  He mailed it in while at Auburn and look at the bush league manner in which he left Texas Tech.  Then look at his mess at Cincy. 

Yeah, ole buddy Tubs looks in the mirror to find out how to make a mess of things. 

Just go away Tub. 

On 11/28/2018 at 12:17 AM, Kaoz said:

And that’s why Tubs needed to go and why I think Gus needs to go as well. We need somebody with the energy, vision, and b**** to avoid this mindset. Tubby was on “E” in 2008 and needed to go- his performance at TT and Cincy confirmed that. Anything he’s saying now just sounds like sour grapes to me

On 11/29/2018 at 6:09 AM, AU '76 said:

Exactly Scribe.  tupperware is just a bitter former failed coach who will take every opportunity to dis Auburn.  Has been doing that since he "resigned" and we still gave him the 5million buyout.  I do not have any respect for him or his vengeful comments.  Wish that Bill Cameron would not have him on his 106.7 show.

Well, WNSP had him on because they are a well known Bama propaganda outlet. They and Mobile Bama Network Affiliate WZEW are in the same building, use the same studios and are owned by the same huge Bammers. WNSP was the station that fired Neal McCready in 2007 when he refused to adhere to a directive from management to stop being so "anti-Bama." The sudden termination resulted in then-Montgomery Advertiser Auburn beat report Jay G. Tate removing himself as a WNSP source and calling out the station on what they did during an on-air segment. 

I have little doubt Tuberville knew about all that as it traveled like wildfire through statewide sports circles. For him to go on that station and spout this stuff would be disappointing if I had higher expectations of Tuberville. 

On 11/28/2018 at 1:47 PM, Tiger said:

AU had some outstanding years under Smith and Ellis. Lebo and especially Barbie, were disasters.

On 11/28/2018 at 10:41 AM, AU64 said:

he had a low hurdle that he superman jumped over, Im not even sure why we're comparing the two situations lol. Auburn couldve had alot more chances to win nattys but they got screwed over by luck at least 5 different seasons, not to count the seasons that would end in one loss to LSU or UGA keeping them from the conf title. 

the basketball program just hasnt been good at any point, and its hard to hire a real coach when you cant be good in a dream scenario anyway. Like we wouldve never got Bruce even if he didnt have the "prove yourself with a second chance" situation going on. salutes also have to be given to the BoT to realize basketball is a sport. damn shame them and the fans didnt follow what is the better sport for years

On 11/27/2018 at 1:23 PM, cctiger said:

7 to 88, you are so right! Tubs is just bitter right now. There is another Pat Dye out there somewhere just waiting for the opportunity. 

...And it might be Gus Malzahn. Look at the comparison between the first six years for both coaches. 

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

4 hours ago, Rednilla said:

...And it might be Gus Malzahn. Look at the comparison between the first six years for both coaches. 

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

I take it that you are not much of a fan of Coach Dye? I'll take his first 6 years over Malzhan's any day of the week. I think at the least we were much more competitive game to game than what we are seeing now. 

On 11/29/2018 at 9:31 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This. Tub's getting pissed off about negotiating behind peoples back? :rollin:

I honestly dont want to hear what Tubbs has to say. That dude made a career out of whining about how hard it was to win in the SEC. That and constantly reminding everyone how good his 2004 team was. Granted, they were a great team. But if he had done half as much recruiting and instilling a killer instinct in his players as he had done politicking, he would have had more than 2 10 win seasons in 10 years. He was a descent coach with one great year. Nothing more. 

2 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

I honestly dont want to hear what Tubbs has to say. That dude made a career out of whining about how hard it was to win in the SEC. That and constantly reminding everyone how good his 2004 team was. Granted, they were a great team. But if he had done half as much recruiting and instilling a killer instinct in his players as he had done politicking, he would have had more than 2 10 win seasons in 10 years. He was a descent coach with one great year. Nothing more. 

Tubs has some legit stuff to bitch about but the crap he has been bitching about is the same stuff he did. Hypocrisy at its best. 

Didnt Tuberville walkout on a couple of recruits to take Cincy job..........He must never unpack.............like the old Van Halen song "One Foot out the Door" 😂

29 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Didnt Tuberville walkout on a couple of recruits to take Cincy job..........He must never unpack.............like the old Van Halen song "One Foot out the Door" 😂

He travels in a pine box.  It's a lot cheaper.

Archived