Was last night a precursor to an offensive identity in 2019?

StatTiger

We know how our SEC opponents are going to play against Auburn this year. Stop the run and force Bo to pass the ball. Since Auburn's OL is not likely going to be able to enforce its will on most SEC-caliber defensive fronts, this will certainly present a challenge for the CGM strategy.

7 hours ago, ChltteTiger said:

Is there any evidence to suggest Nix can take a pounding? Just wondering. He certainly isn't as big as JG.

No, to date we have not seen that evidence. If that threat is removed it eliminates an entire dimension from this offense which in turn makes it more difficult for the RBs and OL. The same thing would happen if Joey wasn't able to pass well. I guess we'll find out on both scores soon.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChltteTiger said:

Is there any evidence to suggest Nix can take a pounding? Just wondering. He certainly isn't as big as JG.

Hopefully, Nix will run smart when he does carry the ball. Unlike Sean White, who never met a linebacker he didn't like.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/15/2019 at 12:33 PM, Carnell said:

Man that sounds easy because Gus wants to run the ball it will be that way.  Problem is it will not be easy because defenses are going to be gearing up to take this away since they figure the can cover receivers since our pass plays are limited.

We dont have a Screen passing program to control blitzes and our opponents will certainly take advantage of that.  A screen game can also be used as an extension of our run game and another way of using our running back to generate impact plays.  

Using two running backs in the zone read attack so the defense will not know which side the play is going to and also making a double option into a triple option.

It is a good strategy to employ the running attack a the primary weapon but gus has got to evolve that attack and what worked in the past wont work now without evolving the scheme.

I am not ready to be hennie penny and say the sky is falling just yet but I am very concerned about the direction of the program.

We're 4-0 with two wins over ranked opponents, one of which was on their home field with 100k+ in attendance. No, the sky is not falling.

Looks like stat was right. Not a dominant game on the ground but 190 yards isn’t half bad considering they held us to 19 last year.

Looks like we’ll be run first. I hope we see a rotation of backs still. If I recall Kam only had one carry, same for Malik, and same for Joiner.

Regardless of your opinions on Boobee he has it in him to take over an entire drive and march the distance of the field. Did it against both Oregon and TAMU.

Edited by Zeek
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Looks like stat was right. Not a dominant game on the ground but 190 yards isn’t half bad considering they held us to 19 last year.

Looks like we’ll be run first. I hope we see a rotation of backs still. If I recall Kam only had one carry, same for Malik, and same for Joiner.

Regardless of your opinions on Boobee he has it in him to take over an entire drive and march the distance of the field. Did it against both Oregon and TAMU.

Shivers was given several carries, though, which I liked seeing. I want the ball in his hands often for the same reason I want them in Schwartz's hands often: either one can take it to the house on any given play.

10 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Shivers was given several carries, though, which I liked seeing. I want the ball in his hands often for the same reason I want them in Schwartz's hands often: either one can take it to the house on any given play.

True, but even Shivers only got 6 carries. He has to stop being used as a Receiving target though. It’s not his fault but I think every reception he has had this year has been for negative yards. He could slip through on some HB Angle routes but the screens don’t really work.

Shiv could put up at least 50 yard/ a game (even as RB2) if used correctly. Some plays he doesn’t make much of a gain but most of those are due to blocking/predictability of the play call. 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 3:37 PM, SumterAubie said:

Hopefully, Nix will run smart when he does carry the ball. Unlike Sean White, who never met a linebacker he didn't like.

I laughed lol. Sean had the heart of a lion in a chihuahua’s body. 

So far he has done an amazing job at not taking hits. He’s barely been sacked, when he runs he gets down or out of bounds, and he’s leagues above our last few QBs at getting rid of the ball in bad situations.

Cam’s 6’6” 250 lbs and has been struggling with non-contact injuries.

Staying healthy has more to do with luck, flexibility (good stretching as well as diet), and making smart self-preservation decisions.

Edited by Zeek

On 9/16/2019 at 9:48 AM, leglessdan said:

With Nix, I don't feel he needs to be used extensively in the power run game, but a ZR keeper every 5-6 runs would keep the defense honest enough to be effective. At 6-2 210, he isn't exactly frail. 

I think he is about the same size that Nick Marshall(6-1 & 215 lbs). Bo is maybe a few pounds lighter but not enough difference to put the 'frail" label on Bo.  I believe we are going to see more of Gatewood in the coming games with Gus letting Joey fling the ball enough to make defenses nervous when he comes in the game. Joey needs to be able to have 5-7 plays or maybe more for Joey each game.

Edited by doc4aday
  • Like 1

You know what baffles me? All of these negative Nancy AU fans on this board. We are freaking 5-0, with the BEST RESUME in college football,  a kick ass D, a super exciting offense that has improved week to week, and yet there are still so many on here  that had rather bitch about Gus instead of praise him. #baffled

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AUBURNJAC said:

You know what baffles me? All of these negative Nancy AU fans on this board. We are freaking 5-0, with the BEST RESUME in college football,  a kick ass D, a super exciting offense that has improved week to week, and yet there are still so many on here  that had rather bitch about Gus instead of praise him. #baffled

You might wanna read around the board the past couple of weeks. Not too many people complaining now. Gus has implemented many things that has improved the team tremendously. For the moment we're pretty happy for the most part . Sure there are still things we can improve on,  but for the first time in a couple years, it looks like Gus is being PROACTIVE in making the changes to push this team towards success. It's a welcomed sight.

• Like 1

You are exactly right my friend! I was actually quoting an individual but accidentally replied to whole thread. (See whoever it was that used the word "baffle"..)