Pat Dye on F-Bomb

Mikey

24 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Are people forgetting we got TWO TDs from our defense? Bama's D has not been good and we still needed 2 non-offensive TDs to win that one. That is not sustainable. 

Beating Alabama in anything will do that. Beating Bama is always good. Making Saban blow his top with the "unfairness" claim makes it all the more better. Them thinking they had a shot and then not getting it was beautiful. Some AU fans will continue to believe they can kick the ball while Lucy pulls it away again and again. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Perfect . So if he was able to do that against Bama with a freshman QB, I am going to be expecting big things in the future .

Yep. Our schedule was ridiculous this season but anything less than 10-2 next season will be unacceptable imo. Regardless of the iron bowl outcome, he will be gone if can’t beat either UGA or LSU at home. Bookmark this 

Listening to Pat Dye I really want to believe him when he says AU football is headed in the right direction. Coming off a big win over Bama it´s easy to believe it. But how many times have we heard the same thing during the Gus era? Over and over we have heard how we´ve turned the corner, righted the ship, put the past behind us, etc. Gus has always been wildly inconsistent. Go back to 2017 when he was on the verge of another mediocre season and then pulled off wins over GA & Bama.

Having said that, I don´t think we need to make a coaching change right now. But let´s face it, Bama played a weak schedule this year and they were not that good this year. LSU exposed them and AU just exposed them further.

On 12/4/2019 at 11:33 PM, Mikey said:

First off, the only time I watch Pawwwl is on the Monday after AU wins an Iron Bowl, so I'm not a regular viewer. However, Dye had a segment on there Monday that was interesting.

He had some nice comments about Pat Sullivan and his family. Then he got down to football.

Dye says we have a national championship quality QB on the team, we just need to surround him with good people. Mentioned Nix's current string of 167 passes without an interception which is amazing for anyone, let alone a freshman.

He said the defensive staff, current players and incoming recruits are already NC quality.

The program is on the tracks and heading in the right direction if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot. Pawl asked about Auburn being self-destructive from time to time. Dye said it's because people care too much. "Every time just one hair gets out of place, too many people want to jump in and "help"." He compared it to a person raising two kids and then grandma and brother and others want to jump in a make changes when the parent is doing a perfectly fine job. He said he had to put up with it, Tommy (Tuberville) had to put up with it and now Malzahn is having to deal with it.

Dye said every member of the Auburn family, be it fat cat donor, student or or just people supporting the team as best they can should get behind the program and pull together like a family should. He said the baseball team was in the College World Series, the basketball team was in the Final Four and football can get there too if we'll be supportive and pull together.

I haven't always agreed with Pat Dye, but on F-Bomb's show Monday he was spot-on.

I'm going to have to agree with ya this time @Mikey. We really dont have much choice either way and we might as well enjoy what we can. We all know some of the issues and have opinions on what could be fixed and how to do so, but ultimately it's Gus's baby and as long as the team fights for him there's really nothing else to say. It is what it is, maybe he can put all the pieces together. A few new offensive staff additions would go a long way towards uniting folks behind him. Wde

Moving in the right direction would mean firing the OL, WR, QB and possibly the RB coaches and hiring legit quality replacements along with an OC who is given free reign over his O. 

Anything outside of this is Gusball as usual. 

2 hours ago, keesler said:

Whatever happened to all that smoke that was boiling up the week before Thanksgiving about Kevin Steele?  IIRC, you and WDEWDE had heard some serious stuff going on behind the scenes.

The new math:

48-45 = (CGM)+ 2 (years)

1 hour ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I’m not Gus defender by any means and was completely done with him after UGA but some of these posts are just ridiculous. Facts are facts, no other coach has had this much success against Saban

Hopefully, we have higher expectations than little brother.

if we had bammers schedule we’d like be in the playoffs right now.

Would have still lost to LSU. Who knows about Tennesee since they are better this year and beat us last year.

Use whatever excuse you want, we beat Bama with a true freshman QB, something that has never been done. 

What year was that QB from Clemson last year? I can't really remember.

2 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I’m not Gus defender by any means and was completely done with him after UGA but some of these posts are just ridiculous. Facts are facts, no other coach has had this much success against Saban and if we had bammers schedule we’d like be in the playoffs right now. Use whatever excuse you want, we beat Bama with a true freshman QB, something that has never been done. 

I keep seeing that.

Total number of wins versus Saban, right? 

How many coaches have played Saban as many times as Gus has?

Are there any coaches that have a better winning percentage than Gus vs Saban? 

19 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Are there any coaches that have a better winning percentage than Gus vs Saban? 

Dabo comes to mind.... 50%  They have met 4 times  

13 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

Dabo comes to mind.... 50%  They have met 4 times  

Urban Meyer 50%.  They've met 4 times.  

9 hours ago, keesler said:

Whatever happened to all that smoke that was boiling up the week before Thanksgiving about Kevin Steele?  IIRC, you and WDEWDE had heard some serious stuff going on behind the scenes.

@keesler It died before we played Samford as had been posted a few times that week.

8 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

It (as well as every other possible replacement for Gus) was mostly predicated on Auburn losing the Iron Bowl and again looking weak on offense doing it.  When that didn't happen, Gus coming back was pretty much inevitable.

It was known or at least reported though before the IB that Gus was going to be back even had Bama destroyed us.

9 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I’m not Gus defender by any means and was completely done with him after UGA but some of these posts are just ridiculous. Facts are facts, no other coach has had this much success against Saban and if we had bammers schedule we’d like be in the playoffs right now. Use whatever excuse you want, we beat Bama with a true freshman QB, something that has never been done. 

how old are you? my havens, lets just play a one game season then because we are still not making the playoffs either way, piss on bama/saban it's either playoffs are bust so far we are in the bust category. 

11 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

how old are you? my havens, lets just play a one game season then because we are still not making the playoffs either way, piss on bama/saban it's either playoffs are bust so far we are in the bust category. 

Old enough to know how to spell heavens and know the difference between or/are

11 hours ago, keesler said:

It all hinged on Gus losing in the Iron Bowl. Steele wasn’t interested in being HC anyway. Nevertheless, here we are.

5 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

It all hinged on Gus losing in the Iron Bowl. Steele wasn’t interested in being HC anyway. Nevertheless, here we are.

What about the report from Philip Marshall that came out before the iron bowl that even if we got blasted Gus was likely safe? Nobody connected with the program refuted that at all so I assumed it was good info.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

It was known or at least reported though before the IB that Gus was going to be back even had Bama destroyed us.

I think that was what a certain segment felt would happen, perhaps even the majority.  But people talk a lot of things until they see an ugly 38-14 loss on that ginormous Jaybotron to their most hated rival.  I believe had we gotten hammered, the ones wanting him gone would have won the day.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

What about the report from Philip Marshall that came out before the iron bowl that even if we got blasted Gus was likely safe? Nobody connected with the program refuted that at all so I assumed it was good info.

I tend to think PMarsh is a mouthpiece for a certain faction of the PTB at Auburn.

42 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I tend to think PMarsh is a mouthpiece for a certain faction of the PTB at Auburn.

I know that but still nobody connected to the program on any AU site refuted his article. When they feel he or his info is wrong the usually say it.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I know that but still nobody connected to the program on any AU site refuted his article. When they feel he or his info is wrong the usually say it.

Well it was a tenuous issue that could tilt either way depending on what happened last Saturday.  I don't think anyone felt a great need to refute it.  If Gus won, everyone know what would happen.  If it was a close loss, probably the same.  But if we got crushed, all bets were off and no one needs to advocate against PMarsh for that to happen.

48 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I think that was what a certain segment felt would happen, perhaps even the majority.  But people talk a lot of things until they see an ugly 38-14 loss on that ginormous Jaybotron to their most hated rival. I believe had we gotten hammered, the ones wanting him gone would have won the day.

Probably, but this team wasn't hammered to that extent by any other opponent. If LSU couldn't do it in Baton Rouge the likelihood of UAT beating AU at home by something like 38-14 was extremely small.

On 12/4/2019 at 11:33 PM, Mikey said:

First off, the only time I watch Pawwwl is on the Monday after AU wins an Iron Bowl, so I'm not a regular viewer. However, Dye had a segment on there Monday that was interesting.

He had some nice comments about Pat Sullivan and his family. Then he got down to football.

Dye says we have a national championship quality QB on the team, we just need to surround him with good people. Mentioned Nix's current string of 167 passes without an interception which is amazing for anyone, let alone a freshman.

He said the defensive staff, current players and incoming recruits are already NC quality.

The program is on the tracks and heading in the right direction if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot. Pawl asked about Auburn being self-destructive from time to time. Dye said it's because people care too much. "Every time just one hair gets out of place, too many people want to jump in and "help"." He compared it to a person raising two kids and then grandma and brother and others want to jump in a make changes when the parent is doing a perfectly fine job. He said he had to put up with it, Tommy (Tuberville) had to put up with it and now Malzahn is having to deal with it.

Dye said every member of the Auburn family, be it fat cat donor, student or or just people supporting the team as best they can should get behind the program and pull together like a family should. He said the baseball team was in the College World Series, the basketball team was in the Final Four and football can get there too if we'll be supportive and pull together.

I haven't always agreed with Pat Dye, but on F-Bomb's show Monday he was spot-on.

When firing a coach it has to be considered who will replace him and how much time will he need to overcome the chaos created by taking the program in a different direction. Recruiting, specific player position type, and coordinator jobs would all have to change and be dealt with. Not an easy, snap your fingers type job in the SEC. See Arkansas, Tennessee, Ole Miss and Jimbo Fisher at A&M about that. It is rumored that five or six primary boosters make the final decisions on who goes and who stays at Auburn with one having veto power over all the others. Until that one, Abbeville's favorite son changes his mind Malzahn will coach Auburn until further notice. 

31 minutes ago, Auburn1954 said:

When firing a coach it has to be considered who will replace him and how much time will he need to overcome the chaos created by taking the program in a different direction. Recruiting, specific player position type, and coordinator jobs would all have to change and be dealt with. Not an easy, snap your fingers type job in the SEC. See Arkansas, Tennessee, Ole Miss and Jimbo Fisher at A&M about that. It is rumored that five or six primary boosters make the final decisions on who goes and who stays at Auburn with one having veto power over all the others. Until that one, Abbeville's favorite son changes his mind Malzahn will coach Auburn until further notice. 

From an old 2013 article, post-Lowder, just an excerpt...mathematically speaking, what are your thoughts on what to expect of his influence in 2020, and isn't he one of the ones who reportedly, most ardently, wants a change? 

"Auburn University's Board of Trustees unanimously elected Trustee James Rane today to lead the board in the coming year.

Rane, who serves as chairman, president and CEO of Great Southern Wood Preserving Inc., has served on the board since 1999. He was reappointed to a second seven-year term in 2012..."

Archived