Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

Just now, drewzums343 said:

Venables is my dream hire but no way in hell it happens

Apparently he interviewed earlier today but said "thanks but no thanks" source: al.com so TIFWIW

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

I think they intended to all along. They knew he wouldn't go along with their bs. Really, it was not much more than a "pretend" interview.

It was the best this board has been in years 

Just now, Auburn Tiger said:

I’d bet dollars to donuts Jordan-Hare will be packed out next season. The one thing we have to bargain with, and we won’t do it. 

Clark is used to coaching in front of a 15% capacity, so won't make much difference to him

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

My point is, this evidently is not a big enough gut punch to the PTB. I think the only thing that would cause change is for things to get really bad financially in the coming seasons. If the PTB is willing to let a “sun belt” coach walk because he wanted autonomy, then it really didn’t bother them that much and that’s scary.

I've given up on gut punches. They all will take that stubborn, redneck, I'm always right attitude to their grave. It's not gonna change.

6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Why did we have to **** up Billy Napier? I was so happy. We all were. 

I don't think they thought he had the b*** to say no. 

5 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Since the search is already at rock bottom, why don't we just offer the head coach at Elon whoever he is.

He already turned us down!!!!

1 minute ago, AUBwins said:

I don't think they thought he had the b*** to say no. 

Then you negotiate? We're not middle schoolers getting in one fight and splitting. Reconsider your stance.

I think others are right. We made sure he'd say no.

1 hour ago, chimes said:

Can y’all imagine turning down a job offer for literally five times more than what you currently make, with exponentially more resources at your disposal? Can you fathom what it would take for you to say no to that?

Well, sure, if I was confident I had better opportunities in the foreseeable future.

I'm sure Napier is not just comparing the current Auburn opportunity to his current employment situation.

7 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

The problem is the first guys were forced to say no and the second guys were never even contacted. If Bill Clark was truly the best candidate that Auburn COULD hire no one would be mad. 

We will interview them, but we will make it impossible for them to accept the job unless they agree to be our bitch. Simple as that.

Just now, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Missed this earlier. If that’s true about Gus then good for him. 

06E141C9-ACDB-465C-B7E0-ECDB8E51D758.jpeg

If that's the case, that's...delicious, considering the plot.

I can't wait for the 30 for 30.

1 minute ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Missed this earlier. If that’s true about Gus then good for him. 

06E141C9-ACDB-465C-B7E0-ECDB8E51D758.jpeg

Because Gus cared about his player and wants to see them succeed! He knows that KEVIN steele as a head coach means they won't even get the opportunity.

6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Why did we have to **** up Billy Napier? I was so happy. We all were. 

This can be said about every quality candidate since the Tuberville days.  Chizik, Gus, (new HC).....many good candidates said no thanks after showing interests. I hoped a new AD outside of the good ol boy network could put pressure on the idiots to GTH out of the way.  I am the dummy it seems

2 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Bill Clark, eh? And the crowd goes mild. 

I'm less than mild. Like naked grilled chicken with no seasoning or sauce.

8 minutes ago, Auburn Tiger said:

I’d bet dollars to donuts Jordan-Hare will be packed out next season. The one thing we have to bargain with, and we won’t do it. 

Next year? Sure, it will be as it should (no need to sabotage a new coach from the start no matter how unpopular), but if next season doesn't go well and recruiting doesn't start off hot then year 2 could start to see a noticeable drop off.   

4 minutes ago, Auburn Tiger said:

What could Gus have done to keep Steele from ascending?

Maybe the talks over the years of him having  pics of the PTB are true lol

Archived