AU Draft stock thread

toddc

16 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

First round money is not lottery money and all indications are that his family is not hard up for money

Which makes it even better for him to go lower in the round for a better team as opposed going lottery to an unstable one. 

Ever since the new cba negotiations guys don't care as much about the lottery. It's more structured now, guys care about that second contract more than anything.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKW5vy8nMd-/?igshid=gpzwdss074lc

Regardless of the product on the court, it feels like it’ll take a miracle to retain this kid. Just a huge name brand 

I don’t think it’ll take a miracle at all. With Auburn being banned from postseason play this year he could easily decide he wants to take a shot at it next year.

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

I don’t think it’ll take a miracle at all. With Auburn being banned from postseason play this year he could easily decide he wants to take a shot at it next year.

That’s assuming that it matters more to him than fame on the next level. All of us are assuming, I just know that historically, once a basketball guy reaches this level, he’s usually outta there 

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

That’s assuming that it matters more to him than fame on the next level. All of us are assuming, I just know that historically, once a basketball guy reaches this level, he’s usually outta there 

It doesn’t have to mean more to him than fame. Most kids have dreams growing up. All basketball players dream of going and playing in the NBA. Many of them also have dreams of having special moments in the NCAA tournament. You can have both dreams and I think most do. If Cooper does I think there’s a very real possibility he will stay to get one shot at the NCAA tourney.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

If Cooper does I think

That’s what I was saying in the first half of my post. The conversation is essentially coming down to what matters to him more, and neither of us know. All my second half was saying is, it’s rare that a guy that becomes that big comes back, regardless of the reason. We’ll see though 

On 1/21/2021 at 3:02 PM, cole256 said:

Which makes it even better for him to go lower in the round for a better team as opposed going lottery to an unstable one. 

Ever since the new cba negotiations guys don't care as much about the lottery. It's more structured now, guys care about that second contract more than anything.

So I’m a 20 year old basketball star and you’re telling me my options are: move to NY or LA and get paid millions to play with my childhood heroes like Lebron and KD as a backup PG with zero pressure and the best coaching and development resources in the world, or live another year in a (admittedly nice) dorm in Auburn, AL getting paid nothing to potentially play in a tournament Auburn might not even be eligible for. Tough choice. 

I love Auburn basketball and obviously hope he sticks around to play with Jabari, I’m just not getting my hopes up. Being able to recruit off of 3 straight 1st round picks is nice too.

1 hour ago, Dunndone414 said:

to potentially play in a tournament Auburn might not even be eligible for.

@Dunndone414 FWIW there has been no rumor of AU potentially having a postseason ban beyond this season.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@Dunndone414 FWIW there has been no rumor of AU potentially having a postseason ban beyond this season.

Sure, be until we hear for certain, it can’t be ruled out. And the Coopers of all people may have reason to be cynical about assuming what the NCAA will or won’t do. So I don’t think @dunndone414 is crazy to throw that out there as a potential factor.

So are we thinking we lose Cooper and Flanigan? Just cooper? Thor?

just checked nbadraft (saw someone say its a legit source) Flanigan is the only AU top 50

2 hours ago, AuburnArch13 said:

Sure, be until we hear for certain, it can’t be ruled out. And the Coopers of all people may have reason to be cynical about assuming what the NCAA will or won’t do. So I don’t think @dunndone414 is crazy to throw that out there as a potential factor.

@AuburnArch13 Didn't say nor imply he was crazy to throw that out. Just passing on that no one connected to AU has heard any rumblings of it, which is a good sign on that front atm.

1 hour ago, Auhud08 said:

So are we thinking we lose Cooper and Flanigan? Just cooper? Thor?

@Auhud08 Way to soon to have a good idea on Coop. Haven't heard any rumbling on Thor. TBH I would tell Flan to leave if he keeps this type of season up. Not sure of how much more of a ceiling he can make for himself after this season.

Coop and Thor can really benefit from at least one more year in the program. Flanigan has come a long way fast. Didn’t expect this after last year. Shows what a year focused on improvement can do. 

14 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Coop and Thor can really benefit from at least one more year in the program. Flanigan has come a long way fast. Didn’t expect this after last year. Shows what a year focused on improvement can do. 

I agree on Coop and Thor.

I also think Flanigan can definitely benefit from another year at Auburn. HE seems to continue his ability to get better at his game the more he plays. I think one more year will make him as ready as he can be for NBA. He still needs to work on his sense of when to drive and when to pull up. He is so aggressive he needs to be able to pull up and shoot those floaters and mid range jump shots. He also could work on his ball handling and control.

26 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I agree on Coop and Thor.

I also think Flanigan can definitely benefit from another year at Auburn. HE seems to continue his ability to get better at his game the more he plays. I think one more year will make him as ready as he can be for NBA. He still needs to work on his sense of when to drive and when to pull up. He is so aggressive he needs to be able to pull up and shoot those floaters and mid range jump shots. He also could work on his ball handling and control.

To be honest they will want flanningan for his size and athleticism to play defense more than anything. 

If the first round projections hold for Flanagan he should certainly go. It has seemingly came out of nowhere for him. He should get it while he can. Coop and Thor are just barely touching their potential. But $ is $. When you are 18-20 years old,a year seems like forever and they don’t want to postpone paychecks. I wouldn’t have. 

43 minutes ago, cole256 said:

To be honest they will want flanningan for his size and athleticism to play defense more than anything. 

Exactly what I was thinking.

Talking about going PRO or not reminds me of the Coach Calipari 30 for 30 on ESPN. He will be totally up front with his players and actually encourage them to go IF they are at their ceiling. I'm sure Bruce is the same way. He knows where some of these kids come from and what benefit it is for them and their family. I used to be against the rule but I feel differently now. I want these kids to be successful in life and get paid for their hard work they have put in. And their parents. 

If they really are that close in getting Wesley Cardet, I think Flanigan would be the most dispensable. Lockdown wing defender who's slash first...he'd tell you that he loves facilitating and works on it fervently too. 

He PROJECTS to be alot like Flanagan, although you'd obviously like to keep the OG version instead. There's no other Cooper coming and I don't think we'll find another Thor

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If they really are that close in getting Wesley Cardet

@Dual-Threat Rigby 1. Who & 2. Where are you getting that info from? In the last 247 article on him Auburn was not even mentioned. Bama is supposedly the team to beat.

FWIW someone connected to the program says on Sharife he only leaves this year if he gets a lottery grade. Says a lottery grade as of now is not expected & thus he plans on coming back. Also says as of now if Sharife came out this year he would project to being the 4th or 5th PG off the board. If he waited til the next draft he would be the favorite to be the 1st PG off the board.

17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FWIW someone connected to the program says on Sharife he only leaves this year if he gets a lottery grade. Says a lottery grad as of now is not expected & thus he plans on coming back. Also says as of now if Sharife came out this year he would project to being the 4th or 5th PG off the board. If he waited til the next draft he would be the favorite to be the 1st PG off the board.

Call me selfish, but I really, really want to see Coop back next season on a team that has had a year to grow up with him. Might could make a real run, yeah?

I could see the lottery part but the other part man I don't know

1. Cade Cunningham (objectively a worse point guard than Cooper and a couple other names, but he's that dude as an overall talent) 

2. Suggs 

3. Daishen Nix (?)

4. Jared Butler (?)

I think Cooper's 3rd, and I think he could finish there positionally next next draft...I dunno 

on the other hand, I just don't see the guy leaving for something like a 11-14th pick. He could be the 3rd PG and still play himself into a top 8 pick if he can get that 3 up...or maybe even move up a bit positionally if the defense somehow takes a noticeable jump 

Archived