2022 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

1 minute ago, Ausburn2 said:

Was thinking more like 1968.. It has all been one long day since then:cheers:👈

What I was getting at is that he's more worried about the PBR he's got in his hand right now more than the 12 or so he drank yesterday...(You know I love ya, @augolf1716)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Ja’kobi Walter

Edited by toddc
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, toddc said:

Ja’kobi Walter

Several other posts by that Twitter account during their trip to Auburn, including rolling through the papered trees of Toomers

2 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Several other posts by that Twitter account during their trip to Auburn, including rolling through the papered trees of Toomers

It'd be pretty hard not to fall head over heels in love with Auburn if this past weekend was the official visit. I mean, it's an easy thing to do when there's nothing special going on, but with the whole atmosphere, especially for a basketball recruit to see what kind of home court advantage he'd be playing with...

• Like 5

disclaimer:  I know less about basketball than I wish to admit.   But I started watching Auburn basketball when I got to Auburn and yeah, I saw the best years in the 80's along with Ruthie and her posse.  

After glancing at 247  and the 2022 class, how does Duke have 4 of the top 10 kids committed and I have to scroll way way down to find our only good looking commit (no offense Tre D)?   Surely we can attract someone besides a PG who wants to run and gun and block shots right?

I think our top two commits are both PGs and I am worried about replacing 14 feet of offensive mayhem who bring a block party to every game.  Are we hoping for transfers to replace Kessler and Smith?  

It's 'over-reaction Monday' in my house, so that is my over-reaction question.  

16 minutes ago, Beaker said:

disclaimer:  I know less about basketball than I wish to admit.   But I started watching Auburn basketball when I got to Auburn and yeah, I saw the best years in the 80's along with Ruthie and her posse.  

After glancing at 247  and the 2022 class, how does Duke have 4 of the top 10 kids committed and I have to scroll way way down to find our only good looking commit (no offense Tre D)?   Surely we can attract someone besides a PG who wants to run and gun and block shots right?

I think our top two commits are both PGs and I am worried about replacing 14 feet of offensive mayhem who bring a block party to every game.  Are we hoping for transfers to replace Kessler and Smith?  

We'll be fine. Recruiting will really ramp up even more now that we have the #1 team and if we make a big run in the tourney. It's not gonna pay off this season because you still have to build relationships with these guys but more eyes are on us than ever before.

Also, I think Bruce has to recruit a certain type of highly rated player. With the rotation and depth he runs you aren't going to be able to take a lot of the super great players because their personalities just won't mesh well with "team" ball and having to share the load with 5-6 other guys.

Right now I only think Jabari is leaving. Kessler *might* if he gets a first round grade. Zep is the only senior on the team and could still come back for a covid season. If we lose Jabari then we will still have Kessler and Williams with a more experienced Green, KD, Cardwell, and Moore. All of who will only be juniors next season.

Edit: Just want to clarify that I don't think all highly ranked players are egotistical or anything but I don't there are many that would be okay with how Jabari is used. We have so many set plays that don't involve him and he is just such a team player that he's fine with *only* scoring 14 ppg.

Edited by tgrogan21
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Apparently, we got out-NIL-ed for some top recruits during the investigation period as reported by the paysites. Hopefully, the #1 ranking will soon attract some other recruits... we had a number of visitors here on saturday.

Edited by AUreo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Just want to clarify that I don't think all highly ranked players are egotistical or anything but I don't there are many that would be okay with how Jabari is used. We have so many set plays that don't involve him and he is just such a team player that he's fine with *only* scoring 14 ppg.

Jabari is an incredibly special player on several different levels. Humility is one of them. If there is a flaw in his game, it's probably that he's too humble. He doesn't know how good he can be just yet, I don't believe. Probably isn't going to happen until he's in the NBA, either.

But if he *does* figure out exactly how good he is by the end of the year, and learns to be just a little bit more the assertive team leader that he can be...well, we're already tough for anyone in the country to beat, but I think that would take us to another level.

• Like 6

On 1/24/2022 at 9:04 PM, Beaker said:

Are you asking why top recruits wanna go to Duke?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

Are you asking why top recruits wanna go to Duke?

I know dumb question, but 4 of the top players onto a roster with some players returning.   

I am just jealous and see the fun our players have playing for Bruce and would think head to head, we would have a couple of the top 25.

-frustrated Auburn fan who is always looking at the pipeline

14 hours ago, Beaker said:

I know dumb question, but 4 of the top players onto a roster with some players returning.   

I am just jealous and see the fun our players have playing for Bruce and would think head to head, we would have a couple of the top 25.

Just that we’re in the conversation for recruits also being offered at Duke is huge. It’s great that we’re #1 in the country right now, but we’re not at the Duke/Kansas/Kentucky level. Not even close. 

There’s also something to the thought of looking in the 15-100 range over the very elite. The elites are one and done. Recruits below that level can be there a few years and help maintain a consistent program. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Beaker said:

I think Coach K is retiring after this season correct? If that is the case then that is kind of surprising they are able to bring in 4 out of the top 10 players. 

As for AU, i would suggest to not worry so much about it. First off we really don't get much information recruiting wise from the basketball side of things. Its typically right before a guy is planning to sign we'll see their name pop up. So we don't really know what is going on behind the scenes. Secondly, Duke knows for a fact that most of their starting lineup is going to turn after this season. Its not as certain with AU what we will have coming back next season. And finally, we got BP and he is going to sign good players and put a wining product on the court each season. Last season was a bit of an anomaly with Coop eligibility issues and then the G-league coming out of no where as an option for players. But Bruce has earned the benefit of the doubt in my eyes.   

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies...I just saw how we messed around and didn't capitalize after 2013 in football. 

I love how Bruce basically owns Atlanta and we have a bit of a pipeline in NJ (?) it seems for some talent. 

20 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Thanks for the replies...I just saw how we messed around and didn't capitalize after 2013 in football. 

I love how Bruce basically owns Atlanta and we have a bit of a pipeline in NJ (?) it seems for some talent. 

NJ? Never seen anything come from that.

He is good w/ Atlanta and even most of GA. He needs to do more in ALabama. That one is a head scratcher.

He's seems to be trying more out west to w/ Texas, and Az, but man that is tough pull to east alabama....

18 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

He is good w/ Atlanta and even most of GA. He needs to do more in ALabama. That one is a head scratcher.

He's seems to be trying more out west to w/ Texas, and Az, but man that is tough pull to east alabama....

I don't know all the names but I thought I heard Ira Bowman (assistant coach?) had landed a couple of our recent big names from that region and there was a kid we were recruiting up there.   Now that is old news, but I thought we had a bit of an 'in' up there.  

5 hours ago, steeleagle said:

He got Westry.

On 1/25/2022 at 11:34 AM, Rednilla said:

Jabari is an incredibly special player on several different levels. Humility is one of them. If there is a flaw in his game, it's probably that he's too humble. He doesn't know how good he can be just yet, I don't believe. Probably isn't going to happen until he's in the NBA, either.

But if he *does* figure out exactly how good he is by the end of the year, and learns to be just a little bit more the assertive team leader that he can be...well, we're already tough for anyone in the country to beat, but I think that would take us to another level.

This and getting the Allen Flanigan from last year.  😲  Watch out!

23 hours ago, zeroforwinger said:

It’s great that we’re #1 in the country right now, but we’re not at the Duke/Kansas/Kentucky level. Not even close. 

Z, the words "not even close" are subjective so we can't define what they mean.  I think about it from the perspective of a recruit who is only 16, 17 years old.  They don't know Rupp. They can be told about UK's "history," but I question how much it matters to them because they haven't lived it.   I would think the last 5 years might be more impactful.  In that short time period we have held our own with Kentucky (aren't we 5-5).  I don't pretend that we are there yet, but I would argue we are "closer" than "not even close," however that might be measured, at least in the eyes of young recruits.   

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

He got Westry.

But he is from PA, and just went to AZ like TyTY Washington did to play for a better team and competition.

So have no clue how Ira or the coaches connected with him...He seems like an outlier in regards to recruiting hotbeds for AU....

We will see how this next recruiting cycles goes for serious interest from players from Texas, out west of up north. 

It's still tough to pull the top 15-30 guys from other areas other than around GA....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Z, the words "not even close" are subjective so we can't define what they mean.  I think about it from the perspective of a recruit who is only 16, 17 years old.  They don't know Rupp. They can be told about UK's "history," but I question how much it matters to them because they haven't lived it.   I would think the last 5 years might be more impactful.  In that short time period we have held our own with Kentucky (aren't we 5-5).  I don't pretend that we are there yet, but I would argue we are "closer" than "not even close," however that might be measured, at least in the eyes of young recruits.   

I think not close refers to a bunch of things and not just recruits and recent wins and loses.   KY has a following unmatched by anyone.    It’s facilities are top notch and they play to over 20,000 every home game.   
Auburn is just in the process of discussing a basketball only facility.   Auburn is behind.   It appears that it’s trying to catch up but will take time.   If it can continue to trend at its current level for the next decade, it will become a power in the basketball field.  

I hope we are in on some bigs. If we lose Jabari and Walker (both former 5*s) we could be in serious trouble next year. But I'm pretty sure CBP has a Plan B.

Just now, autan said:

I hope we are in on some bigs. If we lose Jabari and Walker (both former 5*s) we could be in serious trouble next year. But I'm pretty sure CBP has a Plan B.

No we couldn't. We'll still have Dylan Cardwell and Jaylin Williams even if both of the starters down low leave, and they're pretty danged good. Now, we won't have backups to sub in like this year, probably, if both guys leave (though it's not impossible that Bruce could pull a rabbit out of his hat), but even as is, we're at least a Tournament team next season, too, barring injury.