Supreme Court Slaps Down the NCAA Unanimously

AUGoo

No outlandish, non-student related gifts to attract athletes to your school (court says a "no Lamborghini rule" is okay) but schools CAN offer academics related, non-salary compensation. Read Kavanaughs concurrence - he rips the NCAA a new one. May see non athlete students tuitions increase to pay for athletes, and more borderline pro basketball players staying in collegr another year. Otherwise, the rich in college football will get richer because the ability to compensate (nicer dorm paid for?) goes to the rich. Don't fret, do Michigan or aTm with monster endowments get all the great players now? No, there are still factors other than money.

• AUGoo changed the title to Supreme Court Slaps Down the NCAA Unanimously
13 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Send the amateur world in a further tailspin, have NCAA close its doors and say you guys figure it out. 

Sign me up.

Amateurism has been a joke for 20 years.  Select few are getting rich off the backs of 100 kids that receive a fraction of their worth.  

College football as we know it will not exist in 5 years( probably less). I think it will separate into 2 systems- A “ minor league” for the NFL where “ students “ aren’t really students but play for a school. Those schoools will be the Alabama’s, Clemsons, Ohio States, Oklahoma’s , Georgia’s, etc. where the fan base is all about winning and chest-thumping. The other will be the schools where an education is first and sports second. Probably the Norte Dames,  Georgia Tech’s, Stanford’s,etc . I hope Auburn chooses the latter. I have 4 kids. Two have graduated from Auburn and 2 are currently enrolled there. One was on the dance line and one is in the band now. They love Auburn and want the team to win, but don’t love Auburn less when we don’t. Keeps it in perspective for their dad that it’s just a game

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

It’s not . It is a business.

I’ll remember that from now on and treat it as such. Stinks, though.

• Like 3

The greed of a few are ruining one of America’s greatest pastimes. This mess has been brewing for many years. I’m not sure if things can be reigned in at this point. 

• Like 3

I still fail to see what this change is going to do to football that hasn’t already been done with the CFP era. That should be where people are griping…the system has already been pivoted to the same few blue bloods getting the main event slots and the playoff spots. At least with this situation, someone with enough profit like A&M or Auburn could maybe buy themselves ahead of Oklahoma or ND one day. 

2 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

No outlandish, non-student related gifts to attract athletes to your school (court says a "no Lamborghini rule" is okay) but schools CAN offer academics related, non-salary compensation.

Out of curiosity I did a search and several schools offer auto mechanics classes. No P5 but still a few with football teams. Does this mean I can have the Lamborghini for a class project? 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Sign me up.

Amateurism has been a joke for 20 years.  Select few are getting rich off the backs of 100 kids that receive a fraction of their worth.  

Out of curiosity and serious question, who are the “select few” that you speak of?

I think that this ends college sports as we know them. Contrary to the the benefits outlined in earlier posts, it really is uncapping Pandora's box onto the slipperiest of slopes.

"schools CAN offer academics related, non-salary compensation"...Lawyers will have a field day by exercising the broadest possible definition of this. 

For example: Billy Bob is allowed to have a job and be a college football star. He gets an internship with a big booster for 250K / year but doesn't have to show up a day. You can't tell me this isn't going to happen. The NCAA can't keep their thumb on compliance as things were, there's no way they are going to be able to police/monitor anything. The schools that can get the most money into the hands of their athletes will find athletic success.

Only a small fraction of schools make a profit from their athletic programs. This doesn't help that one bit. Schools may be forced to decide on being a primarily athletic institution or an academic one. I would not be surprised to see less than 40 D1 teams within 10 years. Fielding competitive teams will be financially impossible for most.

Also...

• I can't see this being good for the fans. It will drive TV contract and ticket prices through the roof. I can easily see fan support declining because of this. 
  • It hammers the "team spirit" aspect of college sports. Granted, this is already on the way out, but still, this is why so many of us love college sports. 
  • It will make major college sports "me" sports, like the pros. We already have enough of that. 

Thus is the nature of mankind. Profit at the expense of all.

Edited by madkat7
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, jluvah said:

Out of curiosity and serious question, who are the “select few” that you speak of?

The few are the coaches and the admins and TV exec making 10x what they made a decade or two ago while the ones risking their livelihoods essentially got nothing more

Edited by W.E.D

42 minutes ago, madkat7 said:

I can't see this being good for the fans. It will drive TV contract and ticket prices through the roof

lmao where have you been since 2000???  NIL isn't causing the SEC TV deal to increase by 300 MILLION PER YEAR.  

It hammers the "team spirit" aspect of college sports.

That's absurd.  There is plenty of team spirit in non-college sports

It will make major college sports "me" sports, like the pros. We already have enough of that.

Who is we?  The NFL is the biggest sport in the US by a far margin.

The pearl clutching over some kids actually getting paid a fraction of what their worth/value they bring to the school is out of control 

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

"So, Bubba, you want to be a music major. These extra things we give you have to be related to studies. So here, let's start with this guitar Hendrix used onstage back in '68. Of course, if you don't like it you can sell it to the highest bidder. Super Alum over there, he collects these things so if you want to sell....."

Between this, the other moneymaker things that will probably pass and the transfer without sitting out a year rules, the game we have known and loved for our lifetimes is going to undergo drastic changes. I don't like these changes but thankfully I'm not forced to watch college football either.

PS:I'm not saying I won't watch it, but if the changes get the consequences I expect them to get, then we do have options.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 2

I can see it now. Tennessee football players sign up for a new restaurant management degree. It will focus on the profitability and strategy of happy meals at McDonalds. They will or course have to sample many happy meals over the course of 3-4 years. I hear the prize inside is a good one up there. 

Maybe this will finally remove the guise of amateurism from NCAA football and basketball. Time to create professional minor leagues for those sports and those that are good enough that don’t want the college experience can go straight to that option. Minor league baseball has been around for over a century and NCAA baseball has never been better or more popular. This whole “it will ruin college sports” argument is a bunch of horse💩. The athletes that are making millions for the “academic institutions” need to be compensated appropriately, the trick is how to do that

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, fredst said:

Maybe this will finally remove the guise of amateurism from NCAA football and basketball. Time to create professional minor leagues for those sports and those that are good enough that don’t want the college experience can go straight to that option. Minor league baseball has been around for over a century and NCAA baseball has never been better or more popular. This whole “it will ruin college sports” argument is a bunch of horse💩. The athletes that are making millions for the “academic institutions” need to be compensated appropriately, the trick is how to do that

I love how these guys are all like “ this is ruining college sports.” But we just paid multi million dollars to fire an underachieving coach and now building a multimillion dollar athletic facility for our football team only , but players getting paid is ruining college football. Right. 

• Like 3

I don't really know what the end result of these changes will be....if its good or bad. But i do think this was inevitable. There is a shift happening right now in how people make money. With the world wide reach everyone has you are going to see a lot more people making money off simply having a lot of followers on social media. Athletes are in a prime position to benefit off that new ability because our society has always been attracted to the uber talented. A HS kid that can do some crazy dunks can easily get a couple 100K followers and you better believe companies are going to start figuring out that can get some great marketing by paying these kids to do plugs for their products. 

So i think this kind of change is what had to happen if we wanted to save some semblance of college football. The NCAA has been too slow to adapt and basketball is already feeling the impact of that failure to adjust with there now being multiple minor leagues that guys can choose instead of going the college route. It was not going to be long before the same thing happened the other sports as well. This rule change gives colleges a chance to pull those players back. Because the one thing colleges can offer to these athletes that the minor leagues can not is a way to build their brand. Go to this college and you instantly gain a ton of fans and notoriety and that helps kids build up their fan base. Will that be enough to offset the signing bonuses the minor leagues can offer?? Probably not if they are offering 6+ figures but maybe it will help keep a few of the really talented players in the game. 

And at the very least i think this does level the playing field for schools. We all know the Bamas and Ohio States of the world already are allowed to get away with things that other colleges can not. And yeah some schools will have an advantage due to fans and boosters who are willing to spend obscene amounts of money. But i think this along with expanding the playoff is going to reduce the strangle hold that 3-4 colleges have on getting their pick of all the best athletes. 

• Like 1

It's not ruining college football. College football has been evolving, specifically the past few years with the changes that have taken place. It's going to be different in some ways but just go with. You have two options, watch or don't watch. Reminiscing of the good ole days is fun but those days are relative to our age. The golden age of sports is your childhood because you didn't know enough for it not to be glorious. My wonder years were the 70's. Someone else's is now. 

• Like 3

This was inevitable. The system has gotten really crazy with assistant coaches making millions, and players being penalized because somebody bought them a meal.  But I'm not sure I'm going to like the brave new world. Schools can get creative with educational expenses. (How decked out will the players laptops be?), but the real game changer is still players being able to profit on their own likeness.  How many $100 autographs can a school commit to for a top recruit?  I'm starting to think we should just all go Ivy league on sports. Rooting for my semi-pro college team just has limited appeal to me.  We'll see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

The few are the coaches and the admins and TV exec making 10x what they made a decade or two ago while the ones risking their livelihoods essentially got nothing more

What are you talking about?  Nothing!! Tell that to thousands of students paying $30k a year to go to school.   Tell that to the majority of student/athletes that have to pay to play at their schools.  

Why don’t we just do away with college sports and go to the European model of sports? That way no one will complain about “players not getting their fair share”!  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Why don’t we just do away with college sports and go to the European model of sports? That way no one will complain about “players not getting their fair share”!  

This would be a good option actually