Rookie WR Seth Williams gets waived by Broncos

SRBautigerfan

Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 6.31.54 AM.png

Btw, not my intention to bash former or current players, just trying to inform others of the latest news.  

Edited by SRBautigerfan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He probably should have stayed, but he got drafted by the worst possible team. Broncos are ridiculously deep at WR.

I can't imagine he isn't going to get picked up by someone else

$15k a week for the practice squad isn't too bad while he learns 

• Like 1

It’s unfortunate, he’s really talented. That allure of money and something new isn’t what it always seems. I think he knew deep down he wasn’t an elite WR, but just wanted to get out of Auburn. Hope he gets another chance. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Normally not into the "should've stayed a year" thing, but he would have benefited a ton from a year under Harsin or in any real passing offense. 

And real coaching

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Normally not into the "should've stayed a year" thing, but he would have benefited a ton from a year under Harsin or in any real passing offense. 

I think him and AS would’ve tbh. I think both are 1st round talent but it takes more than that at that next level. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

And real coaching

Exactly. 

Gonna be a real eye opener when Auburn WRs magically start getting drafted higher than the 4th round.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think him and AS would’ve tbh. I think both are 1st round talent but it takes more than that at that next level. 

For sure. Hopefully Schwartz can overcome it. Still probably cost himself some money though. I love the talent in our WR corps this year but I think those dudes are likely still starting in a much more friendly offense. No reason for them to think the QB play was going to get a ton better but they still could have learned a ton about how to play their position. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

For sure. Hopefully Schwartz can overcome it. Still probably cost himself some money though. I love the talent in our WR corps this year but I think those dudes are likely still starting in a much more friendly offense. No reason for them to think the QB play was going to get a ton better but they still could have learned a ton about how to play their position. 

I’m a little worried for AS for two reasons

1. he has been dealing with injuries limiting him getting necessary reps 

2. He has had inconsistent hands in camp 

3. the learning curve 

He essentially has elite speed which made him a viable option but I want to see him have an enduring career at the next level 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

I'm not sure Schwartz would have gone a lot higher.  3rd round seems about right for him, maybe top of the 3rd/back of the 2nd...but there are a ton of good talented WRs in that range.  Seth def would have been better than 6th and probably made a team.  He just doesn't have the pure speed Schwartz has.  if AS ran a 4.55 he wouldn't get drafted at all.

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'm not sure Schwartz would have gone a lot higher.  3rd round seems about right for him, maybe top of the 3rd/back of the 2nd...but there are a ton of good talented WRs in that range.  Seth def would have been better than 6th and probably made a team.  He just doesn't have the pure speed Schwartz has.  if AS ran a 4.55 he wouldn't get drafted at all.

Exactly you aren’t sure. But what I am sure of is he would’ve been utilized as a much more diverse wide receiver, which if anything would’ve benefited his game. Imo, I am all about maximizing opportunity because I want him to have an enduring career.

You  just gave your opinion that if he would’ve ran a much slower 40, he wouldn’t have been drafted at all. That’s problematic to me because that speaks to his craft. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

Exactly you aren’t sure

Right, b/c I nor anyone can really accurately predict the future.

But what I am sure of is he would’ve been utilized as a much more diverse wide receiver, which if anything would’ve benefited his game. Imo, I am all about maximizing opportunity because I want him to have an enduring career.

Right, don't disagree.  WR/TE and probably then OL will be the most beneficial on offense.  Still think AS is a bit limited as a WR outside his speed game.  You've even put some critics above to that effect.  He's got elite straight line speed, but average 3 cone and really lower end length/hand size.  He's also in the lower 5% of of NFL WRs, which would impact his ability to stay healthy.  Another knock against him.

You  just gave your opinion that if he would’ve ran a much slower 40, he wouldn’t have been drafted at all. That’s problematic to me because that speaks to his craft. 

I mean, I'm not sure I understand this, especially when you similarly said "He essentially has elite speed which made him a viable option".  I don't think he'd would've been a viable option if he couldn't run a 4.25. 

We're saying the same things here.

Edited by W.E.D

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Exactly you aren’t sure. But what I am sure of is he would’ve been utilized as a much more diverse wide receiver, which if anything would’ve benefited his game. Imo, I am all about maximizing opportunity because I want him to have an enduring career.

Yup. Craft. That's the whole point. This guys never learned how to be complete college WRs. How reasonably can they be expected to become successful NFL WRs?

Darius Slayton. Literally the only Malzahn WR to ever have meaningful NFL success. All we need to know. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I mean, I'm not sure I understand this

Let me help you so we don't have to keep arguing over and over. It is irrelevant that you think he had minimal opportunity to increase his draft stock. (The point that you were making). My point is, maximize the most of your opportunities. He would definitely be a better WR with better coaching. So we really aren't saying the same thing because if we were, I don't think you would have the opinion that "he wouldn't have gone much higher."

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Darius Slayton. Literally the only Malzahn WR to ever have meaningful NFL success. All we need to know. 

Who was the highest drafted?  Coates at 3.87?  Just barely ahead of Schwartz at 91?

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yup. Craft. That's the whole point. This guys never learned how to be complete college WRs. How reasonably can they be expected to become successful NFL WRs?

Your second paragraph is spot on. So pathetic. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Let me help you so we don't have to keep arguing over and over. It is irrelevant that you think he had minimal opportunity to increase his draft stock. (The point that you were making). My point is, maximize the most of your opportunities. He would definitely be a better WR with better coaching. So we really aren't saying the same thing because if we were, I don't think you would have the opinion that "he wouldn't have gone much higher."

This may be the disconnect.  I never said he would have minimal opportunity to increase his draft stock.  He has some limitations outside straight line speed that would limit his NFL draft ceiling, not that he wouldn't have opportunities under a better offense to increase his draft stock.

I did say AS would probably have gone slightly higher (15-30 picks) and believe SW would have gone A LOT higher due to better offense/coaching.  1st round WR talent is pretty elite.  I'm not sure these guys are Ja'mar Chase to Waddle type players.  They would have been better though in another offense, that's for certain.

I'm looking forward to the future of guys being used correctly as much as possible vs the s*** we've had for the last decade

It's hard getting in the NFL. It's harder when you have to play catch up in learning the position. It was worse he was drafted by them. Patriots or a team like that would've been better. But this is just the beginning. Many of the wr's that are known now weren't known coming out and were waived and stuff until they got their opportunity

39 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'm not sure Schwartz would have gone a lot higher.  3rd round seems about right for him, maybe top of the 3rd/back of the 2nd

This is exactly what you said bro. I 110% disagree. I think with the right coaching and his pure athleticism, he absolutely could've been a first round pick.

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That is the sad thing. DS had no business being a 5th rounder. In fact, I remember him saying a major reason he left early was due to the fact that he wasn't being able to show his full ability. Dudes are legit leaving early to get proper coaching

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Dudes are legit leaving early to get proper coaching

That... is pathetic.  Our current WR's have already received more instruction under this staff than they would've in 4 years under the old staff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1