What is our identity?

ValleyTiger

2 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

You tell me. It damn sure isn't obvious.

This runs deeper than singular play calls or the performance of one position coach's group or Bo Nix vs TJ Finley or the chosen coverages or the lack of pass rush. We've got our personnel shortcomings, but at times we look completely different from week to week. Why is that? Don't give me this chess not checkers BS.

We're not the downhill rushing attack that we heard so much about during the offseason. 

We're often confused on defense. Asking that square peg to go into a round hole at the very last second confused.

What exactly is the paradigm that we're trying to achieve on either side?

It sure as hell seems to me like there's too many cooks in the kitchen.

It's not going to matter who we send out at QB or safety or nickel or left guard ,etc etc until we decide to put them in more advantageous positions to succeed. 

Preseason is over. It's big boy SEC football time.

Screenshot 2021-09-27 1.17.51 PM.png

Screenshot 2021-09-27 1.17.33 PM.png

Screenshot 2021-09-27 1.17.23 PM.png

Screenshot 2021-09-27 1.17.00 PM.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AUCE05 said:

You have to set stretch goals.  Outside of Bama/UGA, Auburn has a similar talent level as everyone else on the schedule (per 247).  It is not that off of a goal.  Arkansas is in the 50s for talent and they have beat two ranked teams.  

The biggest reason for Arkansas' success IMO is OL. Arky has a much better OL and the HC is a beast of an OL coach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Probably a lot.   

Their basic philosophy has not changed much.   Pittman inherited a lot of the same type players he likes to use.  Big ,aggressive players.   esp OL.

Pittman also has top shelf Coord's in Kendal Briles (with Art helping behind the scenes) and Barry Odom running the defense and Pittman on the oline like a mad dog on their asses.  They are a well coached team and the players bought in almost immediately.  You could see a visible difference in their energy and fight on the field last year.

I swear I saw many of our players quit vs a G5 team, it looked like they intentionally loafed and took off plays at times. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Tigerpro2a said:

The biggest reason for Arkansas' success IMO is OL. Arky has a much better OL and the HC is a beast of an OL coach.

+1 Pittman is one of the best OL coaches and uga hated to see him leave.

Add in Kendal Briles w/Art helping game plan on offense (reminiscent of Baylor's style) and Odom calling the defense and you have well coached (albeit less talented) team. They get s#!t done. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

We won 6 games on a full SEC schedule. Throw in the 3 patsy's and we are easily at 9 last season. 

I agree that it was going to be tough no matter what, but it still is not an unbelievable goal. 

We won two of those games by pure luck and with the help of the refs so... That takes it down to 4 wins, yes throw in the cupcake games sure takes us up to 7 wins so I'm still close with my calls. 😎

Edited by autiger88
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

LOL I guess you didn't see where I said that in my post. 

I agree though with everything you said. Bryles knows how to scheme to maximize their advantages and hide flaws. Odom is a very good DC. They have no where near the talent of us, or the team they just beat Saturday, but you said it best....THEY GET SH$T DONE.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, keesler said:

Add in Kendal Briles w/Art helping game plan on offense (reminiscent of Baylor's style) and Odom calling the defense and you have well coached (albeit less talented) team. They get s#!t done. 

and they still lost to bama by 7+ touchdowns  and other games by 27 or more points last year.   

2 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

You tell me. It damn sure isn't obvious.

This runs deeper than singular play calls or the performance of one position coach's group or Bo Nix vs TJ Finley or the chosen coverages or the lack of pass rush. We've got our personnel shortcomings, but at times we look completely different from week to week. Why is that? Don't give me this chess not checkers BS.

We're not the downhill rushing attack that we heard so much about during the offseason. 

We're often confused on defense. Asking that square peg to go into a round hole at the very last second confused.

What exactly is the paradigm that we're trying to achieve on either side?

It sure as hell seems to me like there's too many cooks in the kitchen.

It's not going to matter who we send out at QB or safety or nickel or left guard ,etc etc until we decide to put them in more advantageous positions to succeed. 

Preseason is over. It's big boy SEC football time.

I'm not sure what we are right now Valley but we need to lean on what we are good at. With these 2 RBs and an OL that is above average at run blocking, we should be a running team about 2/3rds of time imo. So with 75 total plays we would run it 50 times and pass it 25 times, or less.  Mix in the pass to keep defenses honest and off the QB, make those passes count, use the TEs, but with the issues we have had in the passing game, we have to rely on our 2 very good RBs. 

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

I'm not sure what we are right now Valley but we need to lean on what we are good at. With these 2 RBs and an OL that is above average at run blocking, we should be a running team about 2/3rds of time imo. So with 75 total plays we would run it 50 times and pass it 25 times, or less.  Mix in the pass to keep defenses honest and off the QB, make those passes count, use the TEs, but with the issues we have had in the passing game, we have to rely on our 2 very good RBs. 

Good luck with that.  

With receivers who are out of position and can't catch, a QB who is inaccurate,  and an OL that can't pass pro,  DC's will just load the box to stop the run all day long.  I know squat about FB, but that seems pretty obvious to me right now.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Good luck with that.  

With receivers who are out of position and can't catch, a QB who is inaccurate,  and an OL that can't pass pro,  DC's will just load the box to stop the run all day long.  I know squat about FB, but that seems pretty obvious to me right now.

They're doing that already and it'll continue.

So with all of the deficiencies that you just listed hindering the passing attack, what should we do offensively to be successful? 

20 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

They're doing that already and it'll continue.

So with all of the deficiencies that you just listed hindering the passing attack, what should we do offensively to be successful? 

Remember that part about I know squat about FB?

Im guessing changing QBs and WR coach are steps to attempt to remedy the problem.

Kinda stuck with the OL.

Hoping Bobo earns that check this year, or CBH steps in again.

21 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Good luck with that.  

It's obvious to me too but that's what we need to do when we consider the deficiencies we have in the pass game.  So QBs, WRs and TEs have to at least make the defense play honest to make our run game go. We have 2 of the best running backs in the league/nation and that has to be the focus.

Edit: On "SEC in 60", I just watched Miss State complete 2 long drives against LSU. When MSU passed on those 2 drives not a single pass traveled over 7 yards with some good YAC on a few of them. That's how they kept the LSU defense from stacking up on their running game.

Edited by IronMan70
  • Like 1

Sometimes I think that people forget we are trying to change from a high school offense that we have been running for the past decade.

Ultimately I think we want to be a run first/play action pass type team with a lot of passes to the tight end. 

To run the system that we really want to run, it will take time and talent. 
So our identity is “new”.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i wonder how much of that talent arkie has are chads guys grown up? i think it is too early to freak out. harsin was left with some talent and very little in others. you cannot blame a first year coach for the oline tanking. he had to run some off which is normal that does not see eye to eye with the way he wants to do things. everyone says our dline is too small. i just do not think you change  how a line reforms in one year. the oline is better than they were so there is some coaching being done. i feel bad for corn but we do not know if he was told to straighten them out or lose his job ahead of him being fired. so mr quiet i went a hell of a long way around the block to say i agree................lol

You are right that he is not responsible for the olines poor performance, however I can blame him for continuing to run the same zone blocking schemes that our line is clearly not suited for.  He can implement cross blocking schemes, run misdirection, negative influence plays, trap and draw plays.  He could run playaction passes to he receivers finding open areas between linebackers DBs.  As for as our DL being small, GSU on Saturday had a small DL but they were very effective with the stunts they ran.  You are right that Harsins inherited a great majority of the weaknesses on the team but he is not trying to mitigate that weaknesses by continually running the same stuff that isn't working.  Can anyone say Gus

Edited by Carnell
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

That is what we are trying to figure out.  We have a new coach  New football philosophy, new culture  and we  Do not have the type of talent  yet that our new coach needs to run his system properly.     It is the price you pay for a new coach but if you give it some time it will be worth it.    Look at Arkansas.    They looked way worse than we do early last year.  Their  change of type play was not as drastic as ours' is.    They are doing fine right now.   This stuff takes time.    

They also have one of the best in the business as their OC and another at DC.  What we are doing on offense is not as drastically different from what we have been doing as some would suggest.  Harsin runs a spread offense that he has called a spread power run.  He and Bobo may be butting heads some over the pro style sets Bobo has been calling, but make no mistake, Harsin is a spread guy.

1 hour ago, Carnell said:

You are right that he is not responsible for the olines poor performance, however I can blame him for continuing to run the same zone blocking schemes that our line is clearly not suited for.  He can implement cross blocking schemes, run misdirection, negative influence plays, trap and draw plays.  He could run playaction passes to he receivers finding open areas between linebackers DBs.  As for as our DL being small, GSU on Saturday had a small DL but they were very effective with the stunts they ran.  You are right that Harsins inherited a great majority of the weaknesses on the team but he is not trying to mitigate that weaknesses by continually running the same stuff that isn't working.  Can anyone say Gus

Great points. It has always intrigued me how Gus went from being one of the best at mitigating weaknesses when he first got to Auburn to being the mirror opposite by the time he left.

2 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Sometimes I think that people forget we are trying to change from a high school offense that we have been running for the past decade.

Ultimately I think we want to be a run first/play action pass type team with a lot of passes to the tight end. 

To run the system that we really want to run, it will take time and talent. 
So our identity is “new”.

I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing, but Harsin's teams have always ran a spread system with a power run game.  That sound familiar?

10 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

They also have one of the best in the business as their OC and another at DC.  What we are doing on offense is not as drastically different from what we have been doing as some would suggest.  Harsin runs a spread offense that he has called a spread power run.  He and Bobo may be butting heads some over the pro style sets Bobo has been calling, but make no mistake, Harsin is a spread guy.

Ark  has one of the best and  one of the best.  Yet they still only won 3 games last year,  lost to bama by 7+ td's   and other teams by 27+.    First year head coaches struggle in the SEC.  we are not entitled to anything different.

9 hours ago, AUCE05 said:

What is your point?  I stated we rely on our elite RBs and pass to our many TEs. We set goals (every team has goals). 8-10 wins is a reasonable goal to work towards.  You are rambling and not making a point or staying on topic.   

That’s one of the most frustrating issues. Our go-to quick pass is that worn out screen that every team runs successfully, except for us.   Utilize TEs and RBs in the passing game, get creative.  It’s the same boring Offense again. We haven’t had creative play calling since 2013 IMO.  But I see wonderfully creative play calling when watching other college games on Saturday.  Not all teams, but plenty of them.  Really wish we had opened the checkbook to the point where we could have lured in one of those talented offensive coordinators.  Bobo just doesn’t seem to have it. Same old, same old. Unless something changes dramatically, which is certainly could, (something definitely just changed) regardless of the goal, (and eight wins is a perfectly reasonable goal), we just aren’t in a position to meet our goals. 

26 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Ark  has one of the best and  one of the best.  Yet they still only won 3 games last year,  lost to bama by 7+ td's   and other teams by 27+.    First year head coaches struggle in the SEC.  we are not entitled to anything different.

And they had us beat until once aga8n the refs bailed us out with garbage calls

8 minutes ago, MaitlandTiger said:

That’s one of the most frustrating issues. Our go-to quick pass is that worn out screen that every team runs successfully, except for us.   Utilize TEs and RBs in the passing game, get creative.  It’s the same boring Offense again. We haven’t had creative play calling since 2013 IMO.  But I see wonderfully creative play calling when watching other college games on Saturday.  Not all teams, but plenty of them.  Really wish we had opened the checkbook to the point where we could have lured in one of those talented offensive coordinators.  Bobo just doesn’t seem to have it. Same old, same old. Unless something changes dramatically, which is certainly could, (something definitely just changed) regardless of the goal, (and eight wins is a perfectly reasonable goal), we just aren’t in a position to meet our goals. 

Bobo has been a meh coach for a while. He did good things in the 2000s, but the last decade he has been a bad HC and a bad OC who never made a difference with his QBs. 

57 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Our roster is in much better shape than Arkansas's was last year.  Much.

• Facepalm 1

13 hours ago, Carnell said:

it was stated when harsin and company got here that our kids had no fundamentals. most of the board even says our oline| is not that good so what makes you think they can do any better in a different blocking scheme? same way when run blocking versus pass blocking. they struggle to pass bock altho they do get some run blocking. harsoi cannot perform miracles his first year. hell gus left us what seven or eight tight ends? i get your frustration but you have to give the man time. he deserves two or three years just like we give everyone else to get his program running. i want to win but now but it is what it is. the man is a winner so give him a chance.

14 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing, but Harsin's teams have always ran a spread system with a power run game.  That sound familiar?

Maybe so, but that is not what BOBO runs and he is the OC. I was strictly going based off What Bobo has done in the past.