My fear is it's too quiet

AUght2win

Meh, we are limping to the finish line and wrapping up a tough year. Is what it is. If we somehow miraculously beat the Updykes and won whichever weed eater bowl we get sent to, you’d see a different dynamic heading in to spring. Momentum, or lack thereof, is a crazy thing.  

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

This whole “this is what I expected stuff is a load of bullsh*t! Did you expect 6-6? Maybe. But nobody expected us to look like a strong contender all the way through October only to get embarrassed at home by Mississippi St, and then promptly go to SC and get embarrassed there. This is about as bad as you can end a season. And if Harsin can somehow keep excitement alive enough to hold our recruits and pick up some more good ones, I’ll be in complete shock and awe. We have absolutely nothing going for us as a football program right now. All we heard all offseason was that this guy “hates losing”. But his actions say otherwise. His postgame pressers are f’ing ridiculous. He just pretends this crap was all part of his plan somehow. I agree with OP. If this team had the intensity and culture that they were supposed to have under him we’d see it this week and last week. The only attitude I see is a “nothing matters because we can still beat Bama” attitude. Odds are Bama rolls in and shows our guys just how bad things can get if you don’t have a winning attitude. 

The simple fact of the matter is that we have regressed as a football program under Bryan Harsin so far. There is less positivity at this point than there was last year. We are worse in recruiting, and there isn’t even the hope that the AD can make a change and bring us a “home run hire”. Oh and throw in the fact that we’ve had such piss poor roster management that the best player on our team could just up and leave after the season is over and nobody would even blame him.

We are stuck in quick sand and there isn’t a way out if we don’t land some better recruits soon. 

It does feel like we need something to stop the bleeding and spark some positivity. People saying "good, keep it quiet and professional" are ridiculous. Saban has blown gaskets for years in pressers and pregame shows strategically to help his team. Another common thing is getting a silent commit to go public to regain some morale. 

I need to see something from this team that they aren't just fine with the way things are going. And no, it doesn't need to be behind closed doors. Things are so bad we as the fanbase and recruits out there watching need Harsin to show us that this stuff isn't acceptable. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I'd like to hear Mike Bobo is as good as gone. I'm very concerned the entire staff is going to stick around.

What the hell would we have to look forward to next year if they all come back? Auburn would be slipping into irrelevancy faster than any of us imagined.

I don't think Harsin knows what he got himself into. I'd like to go ahead and cut bait and hope he's offered a job at Washington or Oregon if MC bolts. I know it's year 1 but there are red flags that cannot be ignored. Recruiting is DREADFUL.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Meh, we are limping to the finish line and wrapping up a tough year. Is what it is. If we somehow miraculously beat the Updykes and won whichever weed eater bowl we get sent to, you’d see a different dynamic heading in to spring. Momentum, or lack thereof, is a crazy thing.  

This is the exact sentiment I fear is in the football building and want to see Harsin disavow.

1 minute ago, woodford said:

What the hell would we have to look forward to next year if they all come back? Auburn would be slipping into irrelevancy faster than any of us imagined.

I don't think Harsin knows what he got himself into. I'd like to go ahead and cut bait and hope he's offered a job at Washington or Oregon if MC bolts. I know it's year 1 but there are red flags that cannot be ignored. Recruiting is DREADFUL.

I'm not ready to give up on him. The wins at LSU, at Arky, and against a top 10 team this year were nothing short of unexpected. The guy is capable. 

But wth has happened these last few weeks is what we all are shocked by. That's why it's not cool to carry on business-as-usual. I need a video to leak of a Bo Davis like tirade or Harsin to fire someone or just come out and make some kind of statement. 

It's like the ship is sinking but the alarm bells aren't ringing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I don't think there's any way on God's green earth Auburn beats Alabama on Saturday considering the circumstances. I can't believe the spread is only -18. I would take Alabama -28 if I could. If Harsin and Bobo can't make adjustments against OM, TAMU, MSU, and USC's defense then how in the hell will they be able to do it against the greatest CFB coach of all time? Nothing (this season with this roster) suggests that Auburn has a prayer in this game.

Edited by woodford
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, woodford said:

I don't think there's any way on God's green earth Auburn beats Alabama on Saturday considering the circumstances. I can't believe the spread is only -18. I would take Alabama -28 if I could. If Harsin and Bobo can't make adjustments against OM, TAMU, MSU, and USC's defense then how in the hell will they be able to do it against the greatest CFB coach of all time? Nothing (this season with this roster) suggests that Auburn has a prayer in this game.

Three weeks ago most would have picked us. Public sentiment seemed to be we'd be favored over the tide at Home as a 9-2 or (at worst) 8-3 team. Nuts how bad this stretch has been for us.

2 hours ago, creed said:

The B&Moaners, the I know how to fix it, and now the Drama Queens. What the hell is next...LOL. 

You. The not-give-a-shitters.

Edited by Swamp Eagle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Doesn't matter how good the offense is if we absolutely collapse under pressure.

Bobo's fade call at Penn State on 4th and goal. The choke job against Mississippi State. The 4th and 1 call and not even using Tank on the final drive at USC.

There's no recruit or development that is worth a coordinator who is literally costing us games.

Like I said I won't complain. Realistically speaking this wasn't ever supposed to be a high powered offense. In the offseason the plan was to make the offense serviceable and capable of chewing clock. Then, lean on the defense to win games. They have done that. Thats why I'm personally more upset at the defense. Not trying to make excuses though. Bobo has made a few bone headed calls. Kiesau or Zak Hill may just be a better fit. If we're going to run the Boise offense let one of them be OC 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, e808 said:

If he is such a hard nosed pissed off type of guy. Why not rain down on the refs when ur players are getting screwed over on the field. 

Whining to a ref about a call when your team should just be taking care of business so that the refs are not a factor seems like the farthest thing from "hard nosed" I can think of. If you want to run a disciplined program you lead by example.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I'm not ready to give up on him. The wins at LSU, at Arky, and against a top 10 team this year were nothing short of unexpected. The guy is capable. 

But wth has happened these last few weeks is what we all are shocked by. That's why it's not cool to carry on business-as-usual. I need a video to leak of a Bo Davis like tirade or Harsin to fire someone or just come out and make some kind of statement. 

It's like the ship is sinking but the alarm bells aren't ringing.

The week of the A&M game there were reports that we were sloppy in practice. Then, this stretch happens. I'm trying to be careful because I don't want to come across as a Harsin guy. I am an AU guy. I'm also trying to be realistic. We can debate if it's coaching, lack of depth, poor culture until we're blue in the face. In reality, it's been a combo. Everyone needs to calm down big time. No one should be happy. I'm glad we still have high standards, but we have got to stop living in this fantasy land of running off coaches every year.

Harsin is not the first nor last coach to not have complete buy in during his first year. The question is does he recognize this and will he take steps to fix it (run a bunch off). I watched and supported the last six years as we ran full back whirlybirds and extremely terrible offense. I'm more than happy to give this guy a few years 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pat Fossum said:

Whining to a ref about a call when your team should just be taking care of business so that the refs are not a factor seems like the farthest thing from "hard nosed" I can think of. If you want to run a disciplined program you lead by example.

Obviously u don’t have an idea what I am talking about . Do u think McCain ejected in the PSU game was fair, the moultry ejection was fair and the hit on Kobe was fair. All those plays affected the team . Showing some fire let’s ur players know u care. All those calls were BS. When the refs are screwing ur team u should be heard don’t sit there and take it.

If that’s leading by example by letting the refs screw u and don’t say anything then Auburn needs a new coach

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I don't know if anybody else feels that way. We've lost three straight games. We went from a top 15 team, beating 2 ranked teams and controlling our own destiny in November, to this. We've fallen off a cliff harder than I can remember in quite some time. Add to the fact that recruiting doesn't seem to be going great either.

But it's eerily quiet. Nothing noteworthy of Harsin throwing down the gauntlet or challenging his players. No reports of team leaders showing any desperation. No rumblings of staff changes. Our program feels completely dead.

What's going on? There should be a lot of friction, frustrating, and desperation to stop this skid. I don't see any of it. It's like we're resigned to it. 

I'm not saying Harsin is leaving or getting canned. But it seems like we with what he preaches, he and our program should be teeming with red-faced intensity right now. It's like he's checked out...

He didn't sound checked out in his post game radio comments. He did say he was tired of talking about what needed to be done and wanted to see some action. I expect it's been a tough week of practice.

About it being too quiet, some things are best kept out of the public eye.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don’t know what we’re supposed to be hearing 

Bobo gone. Harsin tightening or loosening grip on coordinators. Starting spots reopened. Brutal or intense practices. Players-only team meetings. Problem players kicked to curb. Coaches upping intensity on recruiting. 

I don't know. The stuff you typically hear when someone is trying to right the ship. Especially when things are this bad off kilter. 

• Like 1

Hopefully it means we are focused. Sometimes keeping your mouth shut is exactly what you need. We definitely don’t need distractions with sound bytes or rumors. Right now the concentration needs to be solely on upsetting Bama. Otherwise, there is not much other that needs to be said about the last few weeks. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, au302 said:

Like I said I won't complain. Realistically speaking this wasn't ever supposed to be a high powered offense. In the offseason the plan was to make the offense serviceable and capable of chewing clock. Then, lean on the defense to win games. They have done that. Thats why I'm personally more upset at the defense. Not trying to make excuses though. Bobo has made a few bone headed calls. Kiesau or Zak Hill may just be a better fit. If we're going to run the Boise offense let one of them be OC 

What makes you think Hill would come? He has a good gig at ASU.

7 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Three weeks ago most would have picked us. Public sentiment seemed to be we'd be favored over the tide at Home as a 9-2 or (at worst) 8-3 team. Nuts how bad this stretch has been for us.

I don’t think Vegas would have us favored but I do agree more people would’ve given us a shot if we were 9-2 or 8-3

• Like 1

7 hours ago, au302 said:

Like I said I won't complain. Realistically speaking this wasn't ever supposed to be a high powered offense. In the offseason the plan was to make the offense serviceable and capable of chewing clock.

If that was the plan, it was a huge failure. 

Auburn ranks 92 in average TOP. This offense has not consistently attempted to establish the run all season long. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, e808 said:

Obviously u don’t have an idea what I am talking about . Do u think McCain ejected in the PSU game was fair, the moultry ejection was fair and the hit on Kobe was fair. All those plays affected the team . Showing some fire let’s ur players know u care. All those calls were BS. When the refs are screwing ur team u should be heard don’t sit there and take it.

If that’s leading by example by letting the refs screw u and don’t say anything then Auburn needs a new coach

Obviously I don’t. You say that as if you went into some sort of great detail in your original post. A lot of people have been crying about calls and not just the targeting calls. The final punt that was not fielded against SC seems to have had people worked up. I figured this was another one of those. 

I didn’t get to see much of anything with the hit on Kobe with the exception of the hit itself in real-time. No sideline reactions and on to a commercial break. The camera man seemed to be out on lunch break. Seems like when I was watching in real time that Harsin did get upset with the call on Moultry. Of course I don’t believe any of those were “fair”.

I still maintain I’d rather not have a football coach acting like a toddler. Practice harder, put more time into preparation. I’d argue that getting out there and doing workouts and conditioning with your team (which he did) shows a lot more to your players than anything we’re talking about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pat Fossum said:

Obviously I don’t. You say that as if you went into some sort of great detail in your original post. A lot of people have been crying about calls and not just the targeting calls. The final punt that was not fielded against SC seems to have had people worked up. I figured this was another one of those. 

I didn’t get to see much of anything with the hit on Kobe with the exception of the hit itself in real-time. No sideline reactions and on to a commercial break. The camera man seemed to be out on lunch break. Seems like when I was watching in real time that Harsin did get upset with the call on Moultry. Of course I don’t believe any of those were “fair”.

I still maintain I’d rather not have a football coach acting like a toddler. Practice harder, put more time into preparation. I’d argue that getting out there and doing workouts and conditioning with your team (which he did) shows a lot more to your players than anything we’re talking about.

So judging by ur statement Kirby, Saban and Coach Pearl are all toddlers then. Because when their players screw up they get on them and when the refs screw up get on them.

I am sure teams practice hard but a bad call is a bad call. 

The fans don’t see the alleged conditioning drills. We see what happens on the sidelines during game day. If u think a coach fighting for u on game day after a bad call is being a toddler u entitled to ur opinion.

Edited by e808
  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

I’ll be fishing. I get better reaction from Bass these days.