Transfer Quarterbacks Being Tracked

Zeek

5 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I wouldn’t be mad at Vandagriff. I just hope he ain’t as inept as the back channels are saying he is. 

I think he came from a small school, so the learning curve is probably pretty steep.  This may be why he is falling behind in the QB room.   I have not read that, just a thought. 

4 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I think he came from a small school, so the learning curve is probably pretty steep.  This may be why he is falling behind in the QB room.   I have not read that, just a thought. 

Todd Monken’s offense is supposedly more complex because of his stints in the NFL 

Edited by ClaytonAU
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

Todd Monken’s offense is supposedly more complex because of his stints in the NFL 

There you go....makes even more sense now. 

21 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I say bring him in either way. Very talented QB. 

Edited by WarEagleHunter1221
  • Like 2

The right transfer QB would be great but right now even more important then the QB is the O-Line. A weak O-line can make a great QB look average at best just like a great O-line can make an average QB look great. We need at least two SEC Caliber O-Line starters out of the Portal.  

I know that the spring game doesn't really tell you a lot about a team but it can tell you a lot about individual players. We have the makings of a very strong D-Line this year so seeing how some of our younger players on the O-line compete against that D-Line in the Spring game is very important. I really want to see how players like Smith, Langlo, Jernigan, Johnson, and Wright if he has moved to O-Line.  Defense will be vanilla so you won't learn much about how they adjust to Blitz's and multiple looks but you should get an idea about how well they do mano a mano and if they have a mean streak.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

The right transfer QB would be great but right now even more important then the QB is the O-Line. A weak O-line can make a great QB look average at best just like a great O-line can make an average QB look great. We need at least two SEC Caliber O-Line starters out of the Portal.  

I know that the spring game doesn't really tell you a lot about a team but it can tell you a lot about individual players. We have the makings of a very strong D-Line this year so seeing how some of our younger players on the O-line compete against that D-Line in the Spring game is very important. I really want to see how players like Smith, Langlo, Jernigan, Johnson, and Wright if he has moved to O-Line.  Defense will be vanilla so you won't learn much about how the adjust to Blitz's and multiple looks but you should get an idea about how well they do mano a mano and if they have a mean streak.

We have to get ready to go guys for the line. Only way to do that is to go portal. Rarely is a freshman ready to go in the SEC. I’m hoping now that bowl season is over we will see some movement on the OLine front.  If we could get us three good transfer OLinemen then the QB will follow. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

We have to get ready to go guys for the line. Only way to do that is to go portal. Rarely is a freshman ready to go in the SEC. I’m hoping now that bowl season is over we will see some movement on the OLine front.  If we could get us three good transfer OLinemen then the QB will follow. 

I approve of this comment. As Bo Jackson would say' "Just Do It"

5 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Absolutely. That's an aspect I think a lot of us aren't considering enough, myself included. Gotta make sure the guy we get will be able to pick up the playbook. Imho, if you grab Vandagriff, also grab a guy like Sears as insurance

On 12/30/2021 at 8:26 PM, au302 said:

Someone on On3 said jaws would drop when the QB news dropped but then went dead silent. Guess this is what he was referencing

10638630.gif?width=600&fit=bounds

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Beaker said:

Anybody hearing the Caleb Williams to Auburn? Anything to it?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

A couple threads on TNOS. Supposedly some thread on OU 247 about it making sense because Caleb went to Russell Wilson camps as a kid and Russ is a big Austin Davis guy. NFL type offense here. Just extremely far-fetched as of right now imo, but that would be sweet  

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I think he would be a great fit but I am not getting my hopes up just because in the interview he did not flat out say he would return to OU.

Caleb Williams is a pipe dream IMO.

Cam Ward....He then threw for 4,648 yards and 47 touchdowns with 10 interceptions this fall as UIW made the second round of the FCS playoffs. He owns school records for career passing TDs (71) and yards (6,908).

- if we haven't offered a 6'3" QB with a quick release who is 5:1 in TD to INT, then someone should be seriously questioned.

I would take Caleb Williams, but if he won't stay at OU, would he select Auburn, knowing we have a 600# gorilla in the corner that I should not mention?  

Recruit them both 24/7 and pray one of them comes to the Plains. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

Caleb Williams is a pipe dream IMO.

Cam Ward....He then threw for 4,648 yards and 47 touchdowns with 10 interceptions this fall as UIW made the second round of the FCS playoffs. He owns school records for career passing TDs (71) and yards (6,908).

- if we haven't offered a 6'3" QB with a quick release who is 5:1 in TD to INT, then someone should be seriously questioned.

I would take Caleb Williams, but if he won't stay at OU, would he select Auburn, knowing we have a 600# gorilla in the corner that I should not mention?  

Recruit them both 24/7 and pray one of them comes to the Plains. 

Big gap going from tiny, even for FCS, to SEC starter.  Could be some concern if he is next level ready immediately...which is what we need.

Also, his OC went to Wash State so most think that's a lock for him to go there 

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

I think we do get a transfer QB and I think the hope would be to get him prior to classes starting back up so that he can go through spring ball.  Is it paramount that he go through spring ball as a transfer with college playing experience.....no.  Is it highly preferred.....yes, to learn the playbook and work with Davis.  The way the defense is coming together with signings, transfers, players returning, I don't think Harsin will want to waste the potentially good defense we possibly have or run the risk of the starter only having the summer to prepare, assuming that the starter is not TJ or DD (which I don't think will be the case with the OL still a major issue).  I would be fine with any of the ones that have been mentioned to this point.....Vandagriff, Beck, Gabriel, Ward, Williams.  I think any of the latter three would be an upgrade due to mobility and accuracy.  The first two are unknowns since they have not seen the field or if so, very little to get a read on.  So far, I like the direction we are headed in.  My hope is that currently, we have a full court press (24/7) on transfer OL and QB.  Will be interesting to see where we are at after signing day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Big gap going from tiny, even for FCS, to SEC starter.  Could be some concern if he is next level ready immediately...which is what we need.

Also, his OC went to Wash State so most think that's a lock for him to go there 

Man you are a 'dream crusher'.    Haaahaaahaha.  

I know you are 100% right.  I've even seen the ICU stadium and seen their competition play as my son went on a recruiting trip there.  Tiny  chance a 'typical' kid comes from such and starts in the SEC.   But it is hard not to see great potential in his skills and stats.  

I don't track this or dig into the weeds enough to pretend to know anything, but if his OC got promoted and moved on, it would be a long shot to sway him from such an attraction, if he had an offer there.

I read he had a conversation with Lane Kiffen this week, so I am sure we aren't the only SEC program looking hard at him.....he will have plenty of offers for us to compete against.  Who knows, maybe he could become our "Kurt Warner" type story. 

Thanks for the tidbits in the details you shared.  Always fun  - 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Man you are a 'dream crusher'.    Haaahaaahaha.  

I know you are 100% right.  I've even seen the ICU stadium and seen their competition play as my son went on a recruiting trip there.  Tiny  chance a 'typical' kid comes from such and starts in the SEC.   But it is hard not to see great potential in his skills and stats.  

I don't track this or dig into the weeds enough to pretend to know anything, but if his OC got promoted and moved on, it would be a long shot to sway him from such an attraction, if he had an offer there.

I read he had a conversation with Lane Kiffen this week, so I am sure we aren't the only SEC program looking hard at him.....he will have plenty of offers for us to compete against.  Who knows, maybe he could become our "Kurt Warner" type story. 

Thanks for the tidbits in the details you shared.  Always fun  - 

Yeah, he only has 3 or 4 offers. Wash St, Arizona State, VA Tech, and one other I think.  He seems to be mich more hyped on message boards than by programs needing a starter QB.

If he was starter ready (or coaches at least thought that) he'd have a lot more offers. He's the 2nd highest rated QB in the protal and highest with any starting experience. I have no idea what coaches are thinking, but trying to draw conclusions from their actions.

He's going to enroll in a school in the next week or so...clock is ticking. Most of these guys whom aren't getting a degree in may (like Leota) will be signing really soon so they can go through winter workouts and spring practice 

Edited by W.E.D
  • Thanks 1

Calzada is apparently visiting today per some pay sites.  He'd be such a massive disappointment.  He's worse than TJ.

I'm a bit scared of how many ppl will buy into him b/c "he beat bama"

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

49 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Calzada is apparently visiting today per some pay sites.  He'd be such a massive disappointment.  He's worse than TJ.

Maybe “jaw-dropping” was meant in a negative way!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

He is apparently our backup option if we do not land one of our top two targets.

• Thanks 1