Transfer Quarterbacks Being Tracked

Zeek

Hank Bachmeier would be a good one but I doubt he leaves Boise. We need to get somebody soon so we can build a transfer offense around him. It needs to be a known commodity too so getting the other pieces like WRs and OLs will be easier to convince. I trust the coaches but I gotta admit I'm getn a bit antsy with spring semester just around the corner.

Edited by AU80cruiser

Haven't heard much about who we're talking to at the moment. Hoping Calzada isn't in the plans... not a fan.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, struttinduck01 said:

Every day that passes is another day closer to TJ being our starting Quarterback. 

Love the handle! But Dee Davis and Holden Geriner aren't to be dismissed out of hand. 

Also, don't forget that a lot of QB battles will be decided in spring. 

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Haven't heard much about who we're talking to at the moment. Hoping Calzada isn't in the plans... not a fan.

Calzada= A poor man's Bo Nix. Everything people thought was wrong with Nix is even more wrong with Calzada. I'm hoping we can do better.

This staff has shown a reluctance to play true freshmen. Hunter at RB was the exception, but look at the other class of '20 signees, some highly rated. D. Davis isn't the only one who didn't see the field. Given that, unless there's some extreme emergency I don't see Holden Geriner playing much in '21. So, we have to have a transfer or maybe two should Davis leave.

• Like 1

Vandagriff hasn’t been able to grasp the playbook at UGA and is running QB4 right now at UGA. Just saying he’s got a little bit to go before he’s a big time starter at a P5 conference. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Vandagriff hasn’t been able to grasp the playbook at UGA and is running QB4 right now at UGA. Just saying he’s got a little bit to go before he’s a big time starter at a P5 conference. 

That does not bode well for our staff having interest. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That does not bode well for our staff having interest. 

Dude has a ton of talent obviously, but there’s a reason he isn’t farther up on the depth chart. 

Think our fanbase saw him as a legacy and immediately wanted him because that’s kinda what we do. 

That being said, if anyone could mold him into a beast I think Harsin + Austin Davis could do way better than Kirby Shart and Todd Monkin.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Dude has a ton of talent obviously, but there’s a reason he isn’t farther up on the depth chart. 

Think our fanbase saw him as a legacy and immediately wanted him because that’s kinda what we do. 

That being said, if anyone could mold him into a beast I think Harsin + Austin Davis could do way better than Kirby Shart and Todd Monkin.

Well, he was also a 5* recruit with all the physical tools in the world.

But *if he does* struggle with any playbook, then I could see it severely affecting any position he might occupy on Hars's wish list.

That said, I totally agree with your last statement. Seems going to Ohio State worked out just fine for Justin Fields. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AUinGA44 said:

The following has absolutely ZERO merit to it, so if you want concrete info, this ain’t it.

That being said, the Dawg fans I’m friends with (which is a large number) are convinced that the loser of the Carson Beck and Brock Vandagriff battle will transfer to Auburn and kill it under Harsin. The Bama friends I have, (also an alarmingly large number) do not want the above transfer to take place.

In all honesty, I look for Beck to transfer after the bowl game and possibly Brock in the spring. If Stetson or JT stays, Brock is rumored to bolt. 

Just some rival QB chatter. WDE

BIL (big Dawgs fan) was telling me he’s read where UGA will have some QB transfer drama this off season. 

Would gladly take Beck or Vandagriff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Love the handle! But Dee Davis and Holden Geriner aren't to be dismissed out of hand. 

Also, don't forget that a lot of QB battles will be decided in spring. 

I'm hoping that there will be some more Quality QBs to go into the portal after the bowl season. That is only way, I think we can get someone in for spring. But if they are experienced at all, then coming in the fall might work, like Finley did.

But I'm not too confident to come out of the spring with Finley/Davis/ Geriner our starter potentials. 

And I hope that in the bowl game, if they are giving DD some playing time, I hope it isn't only a running package for him. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AUinGA44 said:

The following has absolutely ZERO merit to it, so if you want concrete info, this ain’t it.

That being said, the Dawg fans I’m friends with (which is a large number) are convinced that the loser of the Carson Beck and Brock Vandagriff battle will transfer to Auburn and kill it under Harsin. The Bama friends I have, (also an alarmingly large number) do not want the above transfer to take place.

In all honesty, I look for Beck to transfer after the bowl game and possibly Brock in the spring. If Stetson or JT stays, Brock is rumored to bolt. 

Just some rival QB chatter. WDE

I will happily take this scenario.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

I haven't heard anything about him failing to grasp the playbook, but of course that could be true. Being QB4 doesn't really imply anything however - he is a true freshman behind two upperclassmen "co-starters" and QB3 is a 4-star redshirt freshman who has been there a full year longer than him (Carson Beck).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, metafour said:

I haven't heard anything about him failing to grasp the playbook, but of course that could be true. Being QB4 doesn't really imply anything however - he is a true freshman behind two upperclassmen "co-starters" and QB3 is a 4-star redshirt freshman who has been there a full year longer than him (Carson Beck).

The playbook thing is just what I’ve heard from my UGA buddies, a couple in the know. Could be nothing but definitely something to watch with Brock if he stays at UGA or moves elsewhere. 

15 hours ago, roe4christ said:

I agree wholeheartedly.  The thought of going into the season with TJ as our starter, is concerning.  Now if DD (??) or HG (true freshman and does not know the playbook) ball out in the spring, that is a different story.  If we are depending on a transfer, I hope it is someone that we know of that is not yet entered, otherwise the pickings seem slim.

What if TJ balls out in the spring??

Edited by W.E.D
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

And I hope that in the bowl game, if they are giving DD some playing time, I hope it isn't only a running package for him. 

I don't think Harsin even knows how to do that, lol. 

Nah, I think that anyone who gets under center will run a complete offense, for numerous reasons. At least that's what we saw in those cupcake matches early in the season. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AUreo said:

What’s up with all the Vandagriff rumors? Would be great to have him here but he isn’t even in the portal.

Speculation. He's a 5* QB that is behind a RSFR 5* QB. Who are both behind another 5* QB who will be the starter next year. 

5* QBs typically don't want to ride the beach for 3+ years. With the way UGa runs their offense, they probably shouldn't 

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

What if TJ balls out in the spring??

He may. Doesn't mean a thing to me. Especially when they don't allow QB tackling. One of Finley's weaknesses is his inability to get rid of the ball quick enough as he goes through his progressions. Spring won't tell me he is improved.

And I remember going to A-Day when Cam came in, and after all I could think of...man this guy can't throw the ball. 

I was wrong...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

I think we will like what we see out of TJ and that’s not saying he can’t be beat out next year either. Talent is there, just need the o line in place. 

I'd love for it to happen but I don't think we have the OL in place now or will next year.

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

He's a True Freshman. That's pretty much 99.9% of True Freshman. 

I wouldn't read too much into that 

7 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

He may. Doesn't mean a thing to me. Especially when they don't allow QB tackling. One of Finley's weaknesses is his inability to get rid of the ball quick enough as he goes through his progressions. Spring won't tell me he is improved.

And I remember going to A-Day when Cam came in, and after all I could think of...man this guy can't throw the ball. 

I was wrong...

OK, but to the person I was responding to seems to believe only two QBs have yhe chance of balling out in the spring.

It's nit a perfect barometer. But you can be taken away from spring.