Stelter: 'Too Early to Know' if CNN+ Was 'a Success or a Failure'

DKW 86

They should have never launched with the change in ownership. Some group in management obviously believed that the new ownership wouldn't shut it down if they had already launched.  That was a serious miscalculation.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AU9377 said:

They should have never launched with the change in ownership. Some group in management obviously believed that the new ownership wouldn't shut it down if they had already launched.  That was a serious miscalculation.

If the product was successful, new ownership wouldn't have mattered. They would have welcomed it. $$$ talks and the product sucked. Period!

53 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

If the product was successful, new ownership wouldn't have mattered. They would have welcomed it. $$$ talks and the product sucked. Period!

They weren't online long enough to determine that.  Warner Bros/ Discover is developing a multi platform streaming service similar to Disney, Netflix etc.  Therefore, they weren't going to spend any more money promoting and developing something that will eventually be part of the platform they have under development.  That is just a fact, regardless of what you hear on Fox and Newsmax.

• Facepalm 1

35 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

They weren't online long enough to determine that.  Warner Bros/ Discover is developing a multi platform streaming service similar to Disney, Netflix etc.  Therefore, they weren't going to spend any more money promoting and developing something that will eventually be part of the platform they have under development.  That is just a fact, regardless of what you hear on Fox and Newsmax.

They were online long enough to hemorrhage millions. That is all it takes to shut down such an abject failure. Truth despite what CNN tells you.

A source close to Discovery said new management reviewed CNN+’s numbers once the merger between WarnerMedia and Discovery closed earlier this month.

They realized that CNN+’s massive $1 billion investment wouldn’t justify its subscriber growth. 

In other words, when your product rocks you make millions and when it sucks you lose millions and shut it down.

Edited by AUFAN78

16 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

They were online long enough to hemorrhage millions. That is all it takes to shut down such an abject failure. Truth despite what CNN tells you.

A source close to Discovery said new management reviewed CNN+’s numbers once the merger between WarnerMedia and Discovery closed earlier this month.

They realized that CNN+’s massive $1 billion investment wouldn’t justify its subscriber growth. 

In other words, when your product rocks you make millions and when it sucks you lose millions and shut it down.

What CNN tells me?  Whatever.  If it was as simplistic as you make it sound, but it isn't.  I simply don't care enough to argue about it.  You can believe the sky is whatever color you want.  It doesn't impact my day.   I was simply pointing out a few facts.

The fact was that other streaming services were Laughing out loud about CNN+. I will post up later the highly successful Breaking Points rollout from nothing that totally eclipsed CNN+ rollout. It was obvious to many people that CNN just assumed it knew wtf it was doing and horribly misfired. 

Btw, I looked up Faux News and their subs only total about 200k or so. They aren’t truly successful either. They just didn’t have the horrific expenses that CNN+ had. 

13 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I simply don't care enough to argue about it.

I get it. It would be difficult for you to argue against the truth.

Breaking Points: 700K Subscribers from an initial $50K Investment?

Successful BP Mock CNN+ as it crashes....This is before CNN pulls CNN+

McKinzey Consulting Predicted CNN would get 2M in the first year and would settle at 18-20M Subscribers. 4X their average night time viewers. 

• Haha 1

It sounds like the original strategy was to spend a ton of money up front to build it, knowing it would take a couple of years or more to become profitable.  They treated it more like a startup than an extension of an established brand.  Whether that is a good strategy or not I can't say.

But they were told that the new corporate owners post-merger preferred that they wait to launch the channel and that they're preferred strategy was to put all their properties under one app/service bundle to create value.  They already signaled for instance that the Discovery+ streaming service would be folded into HBO Max, and I think they wanted to do the same with the CNN+ content.  The people involved with CNN+ were advised it would be better to wait until after the merger to launch the CNN+ stuff to cause the least disruption and to let the new ownership steer how it would be presented.  The people involved chose to ignore that advice and this is the result.  The merger happened and the new owners said, "We don't agree with this startup mentality and we tried to telegraph this to you beforehand."

It was a colossally stupid move born of hubris.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

I get it. It would be difficult for you to argue against the truth.

The truth is what Titan posted above.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, AU9377 said:

The truth is what Titan posted above.

Part of a story. Megyn just gave it to you full on. Pay attention.

Edited by AUFAN78

9 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

"CNN+, we'll make even more of what NO ONE IS WATCHING and charge them $60/year to watch it."

There you have it. CNN is such a full bore s*** storm that they are indeed unwatchable. CC showed us they had ZERO Integrity, Character, Ethics. DL showed us that they would lie about what even their own people said were lies. They are dead last in ratings and to be honest, if CNN was honest about the numbers they would likely be 4th or 5th on cable. Zucker turn3ed them into the Propaganda Wing of the DNC. They destroyed Bernie Sanders and anyone else, female victims of AC included into fodder for their BS Cannon. 

Edited by DKW 86
  • Sad 1