Zeek's Case for Lane Kiffin

Zeek

52 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Deion is the only candidate that 99% of fans would be behind.  Kiffin 50/50...he's a flake and a weirdo...I'm sure the fraternity crew would love it.  After two bad coaches, they need to just give Deion the go...would be excited, and in no way can be worse than the last 2.  Minimal risk other than $$$

Imagine Deion, Bo, and Chuck all laughing it up around Auburn together. 

I don't buy 99% of the fans being behind the hire. I have seen conversations between what I would call the three main internet candidates (Sanders, Freeze, Kiffen) be about equal. I don't see him bringing the AU Family together in one big cohesive unit anymore than I do Kiffen or Freeze.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Not that my opinion matters…

Kiffin = great OC

Kiffin =bad and lazy HC

I’ll take 8-1 from someone that is “bad and lazy”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I don't buy 99% of the fans being behind the hire. I have seen conversations between what I would call the three main internet candidates (Sanders, Freeze, Kiffen) be about equal. I don't see him bringing the AU Family together in one big cohesive unit anymore than I do Kiffen or Freeze.

The only thing that is going to bring everyone together is winning.  I'm for whoever can do that.

• Like 2

Kiffin  would be yearly  “is he staying” drama (he’s a pure hired gun) but 
checks most boxes and I could get onboard.  I don’t care for him and GREATLY believe Prime to be a superior option, but he’s the practical and very very expensive plan b

36 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Portal has been the priority there. Plus their NIL has been really weak and facilities kind of mediocre.

Kiffin has publicly dissed Jimbo for buying players and I would think it has to do with the NIL and OM just can’t compete.  It appears to me that Kiffin is a competitive SOB and there has to be a reason he doesn’t seem to be in recruiting.  If he can’t compete with HS kids because of the lack of NIL he goes the portal route.  That can’t last forever at any school.

This could all change for him if he comes to Auburn as our NIL bank is exploding and, as you have said, our facilities our a plus.  JMO.

• Like 1

I know this was posted in another thread, but does anybody know if this video is a parody? If it is serious, the contrast to Deion could not be more stark.

• Haha 1

Like others have mentioned, I question Kiffins commitment to recruiting on a personal level, and even though he's got more experience and has made changes, his past abandonment of Tennessee after one year and high profile failure at USC still loom in my mind. 

If he was the hire I'd be excited about it and hope for the best, but I don't know if I'm as high on him as some on here seem to be. 

I think success for Kiffin at AU would largely be dependent on him bringing in a great staff to help him out and balance out his weakness in recruiting.

I think Prime would be the best option.

But, I don’t understand why people trash other options..

If we hire Kiffin, it will be a fantastic hire. He would relish going toe to toe with Saban..

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Kiffin  would be yearly  “is he staying” drama (he’s a pure hired gun) but 
checks most boxes and I could get onboard.  I don’t care for him and GREATLY believe Prime to be a superior option, but he’s the practical and very very expensive plan b

People don't leave Auburn by choice.

28 minutes ago, mdp5150 said:

Why does everyone think Deion is a “can’t miss” coach? 
He’s been a college coach FOR TWO WHOLE YEARS. He’s finishing up a third year. Oh yeah, the program is extremely small, a budget of about 2 million. 

There are a few threads that go into it in great detail

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

49 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I like Deion but to say “no way he’s worse” is crazy. Dude had no P5 experience and is jumping from HBCU to the highest level of college football. It is not a large logical leap to see how he could fail horribly.

Again I don’t think he would but let’s not pretend he makes more sense than Lane.

I think even if Deion lost every game he wouldn’t be worse that Harsin as a coach

• Haha 1

Another earlier post point - so far it’s a low coach turnover year.  Few openings. A very good thing. Bu If Prime actually is ready to leave Jax st and we create an opening at ole miss.   To me, a total nightmare scenario.  Sorry, but prime vs lane in recruiting isn’t a fair fight.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I’ll take 8-1 from someone that is “bad and lazy”

You can cherry pick all the stats you want to try to justify you opinion of him. I don’t care.  That said, here are his wins this year:

Troy, Central Ark, GT, Tulsa, ky, vandy, Auburn, TAM…not exactly the powerhouses of 2022 college football. 

Fundamentally, here are my cliff notes why I think he is a bad HC. 

Juvenile, wanderlust, immature, lazy recruiter, surface attention only to being a HC, etc.  

I’m not changing my mind and I’m not trying to change your mind. 

BTW, I used to live in PC and spent a lot of time roaming the beaches. Fun place. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

You can cherry pick all the stats you want to try to justify you opinion of him. I don’t care.  That said, here are his wins this year:

Troy, Central Ark, GT, Tulsa, ky, vandy, Auburn, TAM…not exactly the powerhouses of 2022 college football. 

Fundamentally, here are my cliff notes why I think he is a bad HC. 

Juvenile, wanderlust, immature, lazy recruiter, surface attention only to being a HC, etc.  

I’m not changing my mind and I’m not trying to change your mind. 

BTW, I used to live in PC and spent a lot of time roaming the beaches. Fun place. 

I sort of agree with this when people just point to a record and say he'll be able to do it here automatically. No he'd be able to do that here with that schedule. 

But I don't agree with the lazy stuff. I don't know why people think they can measure a person's intangible stuff. I also disagreed with all the people doing it with Sanders.....We don't know these men personally

• Like 2

Whether it's the portal, NIL, whatever ... we need a coach who can go toe-to-toe with Bama and UGA.  Those guys have recruiting machines running.  Although, I have heard there's 'donor fatigue' at Bama.  Anyways ... we don't have to win every battle but we have to get our share, capture the legacies, etc. ... not get our clock cleaned like what's happening today.  We're not even a factor.

So who can do that PLUS everything else coaching at Auburn entails?  They all have pluses and minuses.

• Like 5

I believe Kiffin is a great OC. His coaching leaves a lot to desire and his defenses have been bad to downright atrocious every where he has been a head coach. I mean, he made Auburn look like the Chiefs offense this year and needed an onside kick to beat us. His analytics would cost Auburn 2-3 losses a year guaranteed. He can do that at Ole Miss because there really isn’t any pressure on him like it would be here. They will not fire him if he wins 8-10 games a year. That can’t be said at Auburn. Also, his lack of recruiting is really a red flag. I also wonder how much passion he has to take over a program like Auburn and realize that if he hasn’t made the playoffs in 3 years he is done. I think Kiffin is in the perfect place honestly. Yes, I would like him as a head coach, could do a lot worse, but I also feel like his record this year has been inflated by the teams they have played. Even last year, we beat them and he doesn’t do too well in big games. He beats the Arkansas’ and Miss States of the league but not much after that. Again, would he want to jump in a situation where the stakes are higher? His personality just does not seem like a good fit…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Imo you have to be honest with yourself as to what was being said as far as what stopped recruits from wanting to come here to really be able to intelligently speak on what can fix it. 

Also someone needs to question why didn't it work at USC. Everything was set up for your success and you couldn't do it.

USC was on probation from the Carroll/Reggie Bush era Kiffin's entire time as HC there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mdp5150 said:

Why does everyone think Deion is a “can’t miss” coach? 
He’s been a college coach FOR TWO WHOLE YEARS. He’s finishing up a third year. Oh yeah, the program is extremely small, a budget of about 2 million. 

No one believes this who is being honest. There are risks with all the coaches mentioned here including Deion. People just trying to convince us their coach is better. Personally I think Kiffin has the least risk, but would be happy with any of the 4 candidates mentioned.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

USC was on probation from the Carroll/Reggie Bush era Kiffin's entire time as HC there.

Yes and he also had a team overloaded on NFL talent in a conference with only 2 maybe 3 teams with a pulse. His back ups had more talent than 80% of that league

• Like 1

It's kinda funny we throw names out there... Deion, Danny Hugh, Kiffin, Aranda, Rhule, Gundy etc and we just assume they would all coming running if AU called... Remember last time, supposedly Harsin was 4th or 5th on the list...Reports are that Danny Hugh is the only one that would drop what he was doing and take a call from AU

• Like 1

Just now, cole256 said:

Yes and he also had a team overloaded on NFL talent in a conference with only 2 maybe 3 teams with a pulse. His back ups had more talent than 80% of that league

They weren't overloaded with said talent in 2010.  Kiffin took the job and shortly after, USC got hammered with a 2-year postseason ban and a loss of 30 scholarships over the next three years among other things.  As a result they had kids transfer out including their starting DE and lost the #1 recruit in the country that year, OT Seantrel Henderson.  In the wake of that, USC went 8-5 after a 9-4 year in Carroll's last season there.

From there, every year crippled USC a little more being down 10 schollies per year.  His records:
2011: 10-2 (won P12 South)
2012: 7-6
2013: 3-2 (fired)

Whatever reasons you want to ascribe for what happened a decade or more ago at USC, "being set up for success" isn't one of the problems.  They were kneecapped right out the gate by the NCAA and it started showing its effects quickly as existing players graduated or got drafted. 

There are reasons to favor other coaches over Kiffin or to ding Kiffin (every coach on this list has plusses and minuses) but this ain't one of them.

• Like 2

in case yall need something else to worry about bill o'brian has surfaced as a potential candidate. i know some bama fans are not happy with him. so does he get a serious look and how would he rate with you guys?

• Dislike 2