Men vs Tennessee Game Thread

Maverick.AU

Let's see:  3 for 27 from the tree point stripe, 27% shooting from the field, 11% from the charity stripe.

That speaks volumes about this team, and it ain't very good.

Oops, maybe I wasn't supposed to mention that.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

Let's see:  3 for 27 from the tree point stripe, 27% shooting from the field, 11% from the charity stripe.

That speaks volumes about this team, and it ain't very good.

Oops, maybe I wasn't supposed to mention that.

We were 14 of 19 from the line. What are you even talking about? We lost a 3 point game on the road Vs the number 2 ranked team in the country while we were terrible offensively. 

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

We were 14 of 19 from the line. What are you even talking about? We lost a 3 point game on the road Vs the number 2 ranked team in the country while we were terrible offensively. 

I think many have forgotten what a truly bad basketball team looks like. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jgarrett7 said:

I think many have forgotten what a truly bad basketball team looks like. 

Which is a good thing. 

5 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Which is a good thing. 

True. Just gets a little old when the world ends after every loss. Even best teams lose a few games every year.

Edited by Jgarrett7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

And why, for the umpteenth time this season, were we terrible offensively. Nice trend.

2 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

And why, for the umpteenth time this season, were we terrible offensively. Nice trend.

Because we are toast when we can't make a bucket? If that's your point, I agree. BUT, we lost by a bucket to the number 2 team in the nation. And that means they suck , too?  Geesh, guy. Get a grip. No team wins every game and no team wins multiple NCAA tournaments but the absolute greatest of all time. 

Geesh.

4 hours ago, 1716AU said:

On the road. Historically great defensive team. We are Not a talented team. Oh the team we were playing is only ranked in the top 5…. Like it’s college basketball. I’m honestly floored we weren’t blown out especially with how bad we played on offense. Our coaches put us in a great position to steal one with a great game plan.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

Yeah brother, never even mentioned firing BP,  but you translate comments, which are seemingly true this season, how you see fit. 

Whatever. You speak as if you could coach better, and we could do better with a different coach. I give everyone a pass for negativity during games, as I am as guilty as anyone when emotional and into the game. You post negatively after everyone else has taken a deep breath. It's a process, as they say.

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Thanks 1

Call it what it is, this team is good but that's it, they're not great. They may have some great moments mixed in but if they were the weather, every day would be partly sunny with a chance of rain. Yesterday was ugly for both teams offensively. We played very well defensively and I've never seen that many shots rattle around the rim and come out as I did yesterday. It's frustrating, they played messy, the refs missed some calls but all in all we were in it at the end. UT is better than they looked yesterday and we are too. Our guys don't quit. I thought after the 4 point play that we were toast but Green got us right back in it. What we have is a scrappy blue collar team. No more, no less. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Definitely a foul at the end but I have to wonder if the flop call earlier in the half might have influenced the ref. Looks like he's standing there watching this and yet no whistle.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, gr82be said:

Definitely a foul at the end but I have to wonder if the flop call earlier in the half might have influenced the ref. Looks like he's standing there watching this and yet no whistle.

Which is BS. Go back and look, Green clearly lands on the foot of the defender so he goes down rather than roll an ankle. Never should have been a flop call. Poor officiating again. You would think they look at a few calls during the halftime break to verify how they did first half, but I doubt they are intelligent enough for introspective reflection. 

5 hours ago, gr82be said:

They called a foul on Green also when the UT guard flopped virtually identical to the played they called the flop on Green.  Sometimes I think the refs have already made up their minds that they are NOT going to make a call on certain shots, or that they ARE going to on others.  No question they had NO intention of calling a foul on that last shot. 

• Like 1

They simply did not officiate any of those plays well yesterday. The foul they called on KD when Vescovi hit the three was incredibly soft and that free throw was a massive point. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

On the road. Historically great defensive team. We are Not a talented team. Oh the team we were playing is only ranked in the top 5…. Like it’s college basketball. I’m honestly floored we weren’t blown out especially with how bad we played on offense. Our coaches put us in a great position to steal one with a great game plan.

I tried to give my gma the same vibe leading up to the game. I thought we’d get 30 balled and score even less than we did. This defense we played has been called everything short of generational all season. 

Even though our shooters are bad enough to where an open look isn’t an open look, we still generated a ton of open looks and didn’t get as many fouls as we probably should’ve. This was one of our top 3-5 performances all season 

• Thanks 1

I will never not get pissed when a player - - namely KD Johnson or Al Flan - - passes up a good/semi open shot to take a contested one from the same spot on the floor. Absolutely infuriating

CBP has to get a shooter this year from the portal this time.  Our guys played some good D Saturday. But we were helped by the fact UT is in a bit of a slump right now. Uncharacteristic for the Vols to miss so many open shots and be careless with the ball. Last shot was very close to being a 4 point play. But Refs were never going to call a foul no matter how flagrant.

Game like this once again a good PG being able to control pace and  when shots aren't falling being able to make others shots easier is paramount. Being able to attack the goal and putting pressure on the refs would be beneficial as well. 

The reason LeBron could dominate teams and keep games close when his team wasn't really that good was because of how he could dictate tempo. Pretty much what makes LeBron LeBron, what made him one of the greatest as opposed to another superstar is that one trait. 

It's super important. Once again not necessarily something you can just go to the box score and see....it's one of those intangible things that's super important that we have lacked that I'm sure if we had it.....I'd say probably an extra 4/5 wins on the year easy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Game like this once again a good PG being able to control pace and  when shots aren't falling being able to make others shots easier is paramount. Being able to attack the goal and putting pressure on the refs would be beneficial as well. 

Exactly what I was trying to say.  We haven't had an alpha floor general since Harper, IMO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/5/2023 at 5:01 AM, bigbird said:

KD needs to backup Westry on the bench. 

Amen. 

Play to the crowd all you want riding the bench; at least your man won’t be headed the other way for an easy two

• Like 2