Arik Armstead

ellitor

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cost isn't a factor for Auburn. Might as well not even get into discussing it :laugh:

Ain't that the truth. In fact I think I can vaguely remember a few years back that we dropped something like $180,000 on some kid from College Park.

Well the potential revenue might out weigh the actual cost.  If it cost that much to recruit a player what would the potential revenue be.For example If we recruit a a star player and Auburn starts winning more ball games I am sure more fans will come to the stadium, go to away games, buy  paperview subscriptions, buy merchandise etc... I am sure Jay Jacobs and Auburn are willing to give into those cost to field a great team to see that potential revenue.

Per ESPN article: UPDATE: It was once believed that Auburn was one of two finalists for the Armstead brothers. It just may be for younger brother, Arik Armstead.

"The (Auburn) coaches have done a really good job with Arik," Gus Armstead, the father of the two football players, told Jeffrey Lee of Auburnsports.com. "They have been real attentive with Arik. They have been out here to see him more times than some schools on the West Coast."

Hope it pays off.  That's about $30-40K per visit.  How many visits has AU made to AA ?

Why is it $30-40K per visit?  Are they flying in a G6?  [bling icon]

Personnel costs: $10K- $12K per trip; Coast-to-coast: $3K- $4K/hour operating costs

I am assuming 3k -4k operating costs is for the jet. 

What is the personnel costs that you are referring to?...salary for coaches?  If so than that would be recognized even if they didn't go to the west coast so I don't think that should be counted.

Cost isn't a factor for Auburn. Might as well not even get into discussing it :laugh:

Westie, I see you decided not to be accounting/econ major.  :laugh:

Of course not but to say Auburn is worried about how much they're spending on traveling to a recruit's place is inaccurate. :dunno:

Per ESPN article: UPDATE: It was once believed that Auburn was one of two finalists for the Armstead brothers. It just may be for younger brother, Arik Armstead.

"The (Auburn) coaches have done a really good job with Arik," Gus Armstead, the father of the two football players, told Jeffrey Lee of Auburnsports.com. "They have been real attentive with Arik. They have been out here to see him more times than some schools on the West Coast."

Hope it pays off.  That's about $30-40K per visit.  How many visits has AU made to AA ?

Personnel costs: $10K- $12K per trip; Coast-to-coast: $3K- $4K/hour operating costs

What is the personnel costs that you are referring to?...salary for coaches?  If so than that would be recognized even if they didn't go to the west coast so I don't think that should be counted.

Personnel = coaches + assistants.  Their salary costs have to be figured in as a fixed expense.  AU is paying them to either a) sit in their office and make phone calls, B) visit other recruits, c) visit one recruit, d) call in sick.  The cost doesn't go away.

Roughly figured personnel expenses:

2 assistant coaches @ $200/hr x 8 hours (coast to coast) x 6 trips = $19,200

Coach Chizik @ $1,750/hr x 8 hours x 3 trips = $42,000

$19,200 + $42,000 = $61,200/ 6 trips = $10,200/trip (this figure will be on the low side; this is how I calculate my employee costs, ie, the assigned task is going to cost me X amount of dollars.  Is the intended goal worth that amount of $ ?)

The sushi out there is AMAZING and they took Pelton.

Better Pelton than Rocker.

Better Pelton than Rocker.

Why ?  Does Rocker eat more than Pelton ?

Personnel = coaches + assistants.  Their salary costs have to be figured in as a fixed expense.  AU is paying them to either a) sit in their office and make phone calls, B) visit other recruits, c) visit one recruit, d) call in sick.  The cost doesn't go away.

Roughly figured personnel expenses:

2 assistant coaches @ $200/hr x 8 hours (coast to coast) x 6 trips = $19,200

Coach Chizik @ $1,750/hr x 8 hours x 3 trips = $42,000

$19,200 + $42,000 = $61,200/ 6 trips = $10,200/trip (this figure will be on the low side; this is how I calculate my employee costs, ie, the assigned task is going to cost me X amount of dollars.  Is the intended goal worth that amount of $ ?)

I understand how you are getting that now.

So really it is only costing Auburn operating cost of jet ($4k x 6 = $24k) extra to recruit Arik vs another recruit.  That was my point.  When you say it cost $30k - $40k per visit to me that is a little misleading because you make it sound like that is extra vs what any other recruit would be in the southeast region. 

So really it is only costing Auburn operating cost of jet ($4k x 6 = $24k) extra to recruit Arik vs another recruit.  That was my point.  When you say it cost $30k - $40k per visit to me that is a little misleading because you make it sound like that is extra vs what any other recruit would be in the south east region. 

Didn't say the expense is "extra", but that it is the cost of "doing business" in the pursuit of that one recruit.  The costs are allocated to one recruit versus 3-4 recruits, in the southeast as you say.  While I am glad that AA has AU high on his list the risk/reward issue to me doesn't seem good, and that is not an accounting formula, that's more of a distance/team/culture issue.  The $ question added makes the issue weigh even more heavy in the negative, imho.  IF, AA contacted AU initially then the pursuit of him was probably worth it, but not if we initiated the call when there are many recruits within 500- 750 miles of equal or near-equal caliber who are more familiar with AU and this part of the country/culture.  An additional way to consider the recruiting of only one candidate like this is that approximately 15 days of man power have been exerted.  Will that cost have been worth AA being/not being on the Plains ?  Don't know.

WDE !!!

PS YES, YES, YES......someone should show AA those financials to emphasize how much we want him.  AU has gone that far and paid that much with the greatest of hopes.  This should be made evident to him......which I am sure it has.

Ariz said in an article that he talks to Shaq a lot and they've talked of playing together to help a program, classes and etc.. I now Chip Kelly had visits with both of them, and then I think Washington rented a conference room at a local hotel and had this whole group of coaches and had jerseys, the whole shenanigans. So who knows who's gonna get him ? I hope its us.

So really it is only costing Auburn operating cost of jet ($4k x 6 = $24k) extra to recruit Arik vs another recruit.  That was my point.  When you say it cost $30k - $40k per visit to me that is a little misleading because you make it sound like that is extra vs what any other recruit would be in the south east region. 

Didn't say the expense is "extra", but that it is the cost of "doing business" in the pursuit of that one recruit.  The costs are allocated to one recruit versus 3-4 recruits, in the southeast as you say.  While I am glad that AA has AU high on his list the risk/reward issue to me doesn't seem good, and that is not an accounting formula, that's more of a distance/team/culture issue.  The $ question added makes the issue weigh even more heavy in the negative, imho.  IF, AA contacted AU initially then the pursuit of him was probably worth it, but not if we initiated the call when there are many recruits within 500- 750 miles of equal or near-equal caliber who are more familiar with AU and this part of the country/culture.  An additional way to consider the recruiting of only one candidate like this is that approximately 15 days of man power have been exerted.  Will that cost have been worth AA being/not being on the Plains ?  Don't know.

WDE !!!

PS YES, YES, YES......someone should show AA those financials to emphasize how much we want him.  AU has gone that far and paid that much with the greatest of hopes.  This should be made evident to him......which I am sure it has.

When our coaches go out west who is to say that one recruit this year is the only thing going on the trip.  Over and over we have heard that Grimes has contacts out west.  Reinforcing those contacts would be very important toward continuing our recruitments out their in the future.  Earlier we were after Watson and Az something from out there.

Somebody should show that to Arik to show how bad we want him. Thats a ton of money.

I think his dad knows how much money and effort CGC is putting into getting him to come play at Auburn.

WDE !!!

When our coaches go out west who is to say that one recruit this year is the only thing going on the trip.  Over and over we have heard that Grimes has contacts out west.  Reinforcing those contacts would be very important toward continuing our recruitments out their in the future.  Earlier we were after Watson and Az something from out there.

Going after one recruit on such a long trip should necessitate integrating others along the way, but the point stands that the primary goal is that one recruit and it's expensive.

Somebody should show that to Arik to show how bad we want him. Thats a ton of money.

I think his dad knows how much money and effort CGC is putting into getting him to come play at Auburn.

I hope he doesn't talk.  :laugh:

Just so Arik doesn't know.

lol. The NCAA just closed that loop hole. If 2010 was 2012 Cam Would have been ineligible under the new NCAA amended rule.

lol. The NCAA just closed that loop hole. If 2010 was 2012 Cam Would have been ineligible under the new NCAA amended rule.

I believe Cam had 2 to play 2,,,  Am I missing something?

yea, I don't really agree with it either. Cam, nor his father ever received any money from Auburn University.

Keep in mind the loophole started in 2008 with uat lineman Andre smith. Wasn't until the turds got upset that something happened.

Archived