Arik Armstead

ellitor

Yeah, I'm with the other "page 122ers" on this one...just don't see AA re-locating this far away from Sac.  He obviously is very tight-knit with his fam, which is respectable.  From being down to just AU and ND a couple weeks ago, now to half the PAC28 teams showering him with jerseys, videos, hotel conference room celebrations, etc., just don't see him making the move to the Lovliest Village.  Hope I'm wrong and he shox the West Coast Sunday p.m.  Most likely re-upping with Cal.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I'm with the other "page 122ers" on this one...just don't see AA re-locating this far away from Sac.  He obviously is very tight-knit with his fam, which is respectable.  From being down to just AU and ND a couple weeks ago, now to half the PAC28 teams showering him with jerseys, videos, hotel conference room celebrations, etc., just don't see him making the move to the Lovliest Village.  Hope I'm wrong and he shox the West Coast Sunday p.m.  Most likely re-upping with Cal.

i think the "future 123ers" will pick ND ...

When they have these things in front of the church and family and friends it's sure not to tell them they are going across the US to play ball.

Not really true, Kids these days just want the attention, the chance to make a spectical of their announcement. It's quite sad really. I prefer the guy that just signs and faxes his LoI in and it's announced by the University. These grand specticles are stupid and a waste of money and time. but that what the kids like these days. It's just a "Look at me!" moment.

Why can't the kid announce in front of his family and friends at his church? He's earned the moment and deserves the respect by working hard to receive a D1 football scholarship.

Just posted on Facebook that everyone would know his college choice on Sunday at 3...

Glad we can celebrate Sunday or move on. Appreciate Arik doing this Sunday. The staff can make calls Sunday night (I think) to other players if he does decide to stay out West. I like the kid and his family. They are such a good fit for Auburn given their values, but good luck regardless to the family and Arik.

War Eagle !

What's this all about?

@GregBiggins Greg Biggins

Gus Armstead mentioned #Oregon, along with #UCLA were the only 2 schools who didn't neg recruit and that impressed them, fwiw

What's this all about?

Gus Armstead mentioned #Oregon, along with #UCLA were the only 2 schools who didn't neg recruit and that impressed them, fwiw

I'm hoping that is in reference to the west coast schools only.  I don't see what Chizik would have to say negatively about the schools he doesn't regularly have to deal with.  I found this also....

"Still, it was interesting that the Armstead family noted that so many programs have bashed others during recruiting - a common ploy in an effort to demean a rival program while promoting their own colors."

None of the schools in play are "rivals" for us. 

Funny, doing some more reading and there is some negative recruiting going on by other media outlets.  Specifically, I'm reading a piece saying distance to home, newly upgraded facilities, playing with Shaq Johnson, playing in a 3-4 instead of a 4-3, and playing time are all benefits for Cal over Auburn.  I guess they don't have any other DE's on the team, that we don't/won't run a 4 DE set, don't have any facilities worth mentioning in Auburn, and that playing with Shaq is more important than playing with his brother.  Media spin spin spin! 

Take it with a huge grain of salt but somebody posted on another site that the SEC granted the waiver. We will know if that was true tomorrow.

Take it with a huge grain of salt but somebody posted on another site that the SEC granted the waiver. We will know if that was true tomorrow.

Hope it's true. Armond could play too. Both are good athletes.  :we:

HUGE GRAIN!!!  I saw the thread on 247.  The original poster created a thread saying Rumors Abound and dropped a bomb of the rumor is that the waiver was granted but than the OP never said anything else.  I hope it is true but I would not get my hopes up.

Same rumor was posted on Rivals but they were getting this from 247. Everyone (mods from the AU sites) say that Arik is not going to AU. 1 day before he announces, it looks like we are on the outside looking in... unless of course this waiver thing is even remotely true.

Either way you have to tip your hat to the coaches - they gave it all they had.

Dude, that grain would be like a boulder on Wile E. Coyote's head!

What's this all about?

What's this all about?

I'm hoping that is in reference to the west coast schools only.  I don't see what Chizik would have to say negatively about the schools he doesn't regularly have to deal with.   I found this also....

"Still, it was interesting that the Armstead family noted that so many programs have bashed others during recruiting - a common ploy in an effort to demean a rival program while promoting their own colors."

You don't think Chizik tried to show Arik that nothing good defensively has come out of Oregon (or of any Pac12 school other than USC for that matter) for the past decade?

What's this all about?

What's this all about?

I'm hoping that is in reference to the west coast schools only.  I don't see what Chizik would have to say negatively about the schools he doesn't regularly have to deal with.   I found this also....

You don't think Chizik tried to show Arik that nothing good defensively has come out of Oregon (or of any Pac12 school other than USC for that matter) for the past decade?

I guess "negative recruiting" is pretty subjective. I don't see anything wrong with pointing out our strengths and maybe even tactfully addressing some issues/problems at schools that a recruit is considering. That's just me. I know some people or recruits prob don't like anything considered negative coming up. I guess it depends on the particular topic and how it is conveyed that makes the biggest difference.

Also, I am proud of our coaches going hard after AA. He is worth the effort regardless if we get him. If we don't, maybe just being in the final group will help us in the future out west.

What's this all about?

What's this all about?

I'd file that under fact.  Meanwhile, a coach saying Auburn was going to get the hammer before the NCAA cleared us, would be speculation. 

Negative recruiting is how you look at it. If you tell a recruit another school is about to go on probation when you don't really know if it is true that is negative recruiting and everybody will agree. If you tell a recruit that a school is on probation and will not be able to have 85 scholarships or play in a bowl game if it is true is it negative recruiting some will say yes some will say no.

Any recruit who is actually rating schools would already know aboy\ut a probation so I don't think it is necarry to bring it up.

Now is where it gets harry. If I am recruiting a position player who might have the potential to play at next level is it negative recruiting to say that my school has put x number of players into NFL at that position where other school has only put Y numbers in with Y being much less than X. That is factual it is a fair comparison but is it negative recruiting.  I don't think it is but I can see how others would say it was.

The way to recruit and stay at the highest level is to emphasize how many players your program can show who improved, received SEC honors, All American Honors other awards, made it to next level, beauty of campus, education programs, etc.  Don't volunteer information about competing schools but have the information available if recruit asks you a direct question.

From all I have heard our coaches have always taken the High road and it works.  Most recruits will get the actual information about programs abilities online anyway so our coaches don't need to cut other schools down. Kids already will see that information online.

I hope we get Arik if not thank you for coming here it has been a pleasure to see a family do an inteligent job at looking at all possibilities and making an informed decision. If we don't get him I believe biggest reason is distance from home which is a very legitimate reason. 

If you are reading this Arik please decide for Auburn.

Best of luck to you and your family either way.

Funny, doing some more reading and there is some negative recruiting going on by other media outlets.   Specifically, I'm reading a piece saying distance to home, newly upgraded facilities, playing with Shaq Johnson, playing in a 3-4 instead of a 4-3, and playing time are all benefits for Cal over Auburn.  I guess they don't have any other DE's on the team, that we don't/won't run a 4 DE set, don't have any facilities worth mentioning in Auburn, and that playing with Shaq is more important than playing with his brother.  Media spin spin spin! 

Well Auburn has newly upgraded facilites and a Shaquille Johnson coming to our basketball team next year.... I hear this Armstead guy likes basketball too, right?

Don't take this as good news:

@sb_joedavidson: Arik Armstead family looking for Auburn hat to go with Oreg,Cal,Wash,USC,UCLA,NDame in appreciation of schools tomorrw.

Archived