2013 5* DE Carl Lawson signs with AU!

AUTUmike

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just thought it bwas a good idea to remind everyone how good Lawson is. http://www.hudl.com/athlete/794911/highlights/2692412

Impressive... We should probably start recruiting this guy.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, shouldn't someone start a thread on him already?! Too lazy to search.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

;)

when does rivals come out with new rankings? i know they just did not long ago, but interested to see where carl jumps too. as well as ernest robinson.

Last night on Eyes on Auburn, Mike with Rivals said that if Carl Lawson was 6'4" that he would be the number 1 player.

If I was Carl I would just wear high tops with two pairs of socks.

when does rivals come out with new rankings? i know they just did not long ago, but interested to see where carl jumps too. as well as ernest robinson.

Last night on Eyes on Auburn, Mike with Rivals said that if Carl Lawson was 6'4" that he would be the number 1 player.

That cOuld be one of the stupidest comments I have ever seen ... His production and performance is better than every other high school senior in the country, but gosh only if he was 1" taller ...

Hope he grows another inch by the end of the year so we can see what other stupid comment he comes up with.  That is right there with the idiotic reason for dropping bowers

That cOuld be one of the stupidest comments I have ever seen ... His production and performance is better than every other high school senior in the country, but gosh only if he was 1" taller ...

Hope he grows another inch by the end of the year so we can see what other stupid comment he comes up with.  That is right there with the idiotic reason for dropping bowers

His reasoning was solid. Most elite pro DEs are 6'4 and higher. He said even though Carl could be like Freeney 6'2 1/2 Dwight Freeney's don't come along often.

His reasoning was solid. Most elite pro DEs are 6'4 and higher. He said even though Carl could be like Freeney 6'2 1/2 Dwight Freeney's don't come along often.

Doesn’t mean it's doesn't happen. I point to Drew Brees just to prove my point that this is the dumbest comment someone could make. Reasoning is not solid. Just because someone isn’t prototypical doesn’t make them worth less. They can either play the position or the can’t.

Doesn’t mean it's doesn't happen. I point to Drew Brees just to prove my point that this is the dumbest comment someone could make. Reasoning is not solid. Just because someone isn’t prototypical doesn’t make them worth less. They can either play the position or the can’t.

Yeah because 6-6 250# is just way to big to play QB too...

cam-newton.jpg

Actually, it does make them worth less when not being prototypical means you're undersized.  If you'd don't think that Drew Brees would benefit from a few extra inches, then you're crazy. This is not meant to be a knock on either of them, they are both more than capable, but they are also the exceptions, not the rule.  If Mike think that CL and RN skill sets are similar enough, that its only RN's size that puts him over the top, then it's a valid argument.  It's not like he's advocating Auburn pulling his offer over an inch, all he's saying is that he might not be the #1 prospect in the country.

Hope he grows another inch by the end of the year so we can see what other stupid comment he comes up with. That is right there with the idiotic reason for dropping bowers

cam-newton.jpg

Calm down. I don't think anyone ever accused Cam of being too big to play QB. If anything, he was accused of skating by on his size and speed, despite being a mediocre passer (for the record, I am not suggesting that I believe that he is a mediocre passer, but others did). The fact of the matter is, size, build, and athleticism do matter in sports. At 6'4'' 155, I'm never going to be a stud LT, regardless of how good my technique may be. Prototypical builds are the prototype for a reason - they work. Sure there are tons of exceptions, but they are just that - exceptions. They are succeeding despite a natural disadvantage. If an analyst knocks a prospect's potential for his size, then that is completely reasonable.

cam-newton.jpg

Calm down. I don't think anyone ever accused Cam of being too big to play QB.  If anything, he was accused of skating by on his size and speed, despite being a mediocre passer (for the record, I am not suggesting that I believe that he is a mediocre passer, but others did).  The fact of the matter is, size, build, and athleticism do matter in sports. At 6'4'' 155, I'm never going to be a stud LT, regardless of how good my technique may be. Prototypical builds are the prototype for a reason - they work.  Sure there are tons of exceptions, but they are just that - exceptions. They are succeeding despite a natural disadvantage. If an analyst knocks a prospect's potential for his size, then that is completely reasonable.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRb6AAwYJ2HVM3XlZKmRPNXgbjiGWLjGRUYOl2yMHc7QukXo9xO

Height helps as far as making qb's have to adjust their throws into throwing lanes.  I would think arm length would be more important than height.  Just like in b ball a long wingspan can make up for a couple of inches

Height helps as far as making qb's have to adjust their throws into throwing lanes.  I would think arm length would be more important than height.  Just like in b ball a long wingspan can make up for a couple of inches

Sight lines are much more important than throwing lanes. Height trumps wingspan by a lot when it comes to QBs.

Sight lines are much more important than throwing lanes. Height trumps wingspan by a lot when it comes to QBs.

This. Wingspan is a much bigger deal for linemen than QBs because they need the reach to keep defenders at bay. QBs need to be able to see over the linemen to have a view of the entire field, rather than just having slivers of light between the big boys' helmets.

I bet Dwight Freeny has long arms.  It works both ways o lineman having long arms to keep defenders off balance d linemen uses them for the same reason.  I just want my d end to get to the qb.  I'd take a guy like Lawson all day on my team

I bet Dwight Freeny has long arms.

Not really. He just has a motor that never quits and A LOT of power.

If anything jumps out for him it's his speed.  He has a 6'10'' wing span that's pretty long for his size.  Find some 6'4'' guys and I bet it's as long or longer than theirs.  Like I said I want my d ends getting after qb's height doesn't help that.  It's just usually longer taller guys have longer taller limbs

Archived