2013 3* OG/C Khaliel Rodgers (USC signee)

RunInRed

I agree with this also.  I put him in my list of possibilities of recruits we sign in ellitor target thread.  We still have decent shot.  His rectuotment is far from over.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thought I was post this tidbit.  In the rivals chat, it was said some still feel good about getting Rodgers in the end.

I agree with that as well. Mainly because of the person Lane Kiffin is. If you guys thought what Saban did to Philon was bad last year. That is nothing compared to what Kiffin would do. USC has NO NEED for an interior lineman in this class. IMO Kiffin is holding Rodgers to keep Bigelow. I would not be surprised that even if Rodgers is an EE Kiffin will come up with some excuse to make Rodgers wait til NSD. Then when NSD comes and Kiffin has Bigelow's NLI he is liable to leave Rodgers out in the cold and take 3 of the 6 players left they are recruiting heavily that do actually fill needs at USC. I hope the coaches realize this and stay with Rodgers til the end unless we get Crowder.

E, do you think the coaches would take both K. Rodgers and T. Crowder if they both ended up wanting to come to AU?

Just thought I was post this tidbit.  In the rivals chat, it was said some still feel good about getting Rodgers in the end.

I agree with that as well. Mainly because of the person Lane Kiffin is. If you guys thought what Saban did to Philon was bad last year. That is nothing compared to what Kiffin would do. USC has NO NEED for an interior lineman in this class. IMO Kiffin is holding Rodgers to keep Bigelow. I would not be surprised that even if Rodgers is an EE Kiffin will come up with some excuse to make Rodgers wait til NSD. Then when NSD comes and Kiffin has Bigelow's NLI he is liable to leave Rodgers out in the cold and take 3 of the 6 players left they are recruiting heavily that do actually fill needs at USC. I hope the coaches realize this and stay with Rodgers til the end unless we get Crowder.

E, do you think the coaches would take both K. Rodgers and T. Crowder if they both ended up wanting to come to AU?

If there was a decommit or more attrition to give us room then yes.

Tigers and Tigerettes, watch the Rodgers situation closely. I think we have a real chance of getting him, especially if Kiffin and USC take Silas Redd from PSU. When researching the NCAA transfer rules for the PSU situation I found something VERY INTERESTING. From the NCAA Press Release...

• A school subject to scholarship limits due to an infractions case (USC) is allowed to accept transfers from Penn State but cannot exceed the scholarship limits specified in its infractions report. Athletically-related financial aid may not be canceled during the period of the award and these schools are not permitted the same exception allowed to schools not under Committee on Infractions sanctions.

What this means is if USC takes Redd they must still not exceed 18 in this signing class and 75 overall. They are at 16 now and recruiting 6 kids very hard to fill those last 2 spotsat positions of need. If they take Redd then they have 6 guys for 1 spot left. With Rodgers not being a player they need at all other than to ensure Bigelow I believe taking Redd makes Rodgers very expendable for USC. Definitely popcorn material IMO.

Tigers and Tigerettes, watch the Rodgers situation closely. I think we have a real chance of getting him, especially if Kiffin and USC take Silas Redd from PSU. When researching the NCAA transfer rules for the PSU situation I found something VERY INTERESTING. From the NCAA Press Release...

• A school subject to scholarship limits due to an infractions case (USC) is allowed to accept transfers from Penn State but cannot exceed the scholarship limits specified in its infractions report. Athletically-related financial aid may not be canceled during the period of the award and these schools are not permitted the same exception allowed to schools not under Committee on Infractions sanctions.

What this means is if USC takes Redd they must still not exceed 18 in this signing class and 75 overall. They are at 16 now and recruiting 6 kids very hard to fill those last 2 spotsat positions of need. If they take Redd then they have 6 guys for 1 spot left. With Rodgers not being a player they need at all other than to ensure Bigelow I believe taking Redd makes Rodgers very expendable for USC. Definitely popcorn material IMO.

Good, no, excellent research "E".  Problem is, he'd better hurry, because with all these other opportunities we have, there's not much room left, even with a 23-25 cap.  As I said in another thread, we don't NEED to sign any OLs (would be nice), and we are now in a "best available" mode.  Rodgers falls in that category, but if some of the others start filling those spots (D Green, Bryant, Seal-Jones, Matthews, I Jones, Treadwell, Brantley, Howard, Crowder, Wiggins), he cannot wait until December to decide.  Yes, I deliberately left M Adams out, because he has a spot no matter what happens.

i have no basis for this other than hope ... i think this kid flips over to us.  i just think after a bunch of months of comparing kiffin stories/experiences with chizik stories/experiences ... in addition to reading the tea leaves (someone send him ellitor's analysis of the situation) ... he will realize his overall college experience will be better at Auburn.  Maybe i'm wrong and he is a big city boy ... but that interview from him last month just makes me believe he would be happier in auburn.

kid is going to be successful wherever he ends up, though.  he has talent.

i have no basis for this other than hope ... i think this kid flips over to us.  i just think after a bunch of months of comparing kiffin stories/experiences with chizik stories/experiences ... in addition to reading the tea leaves (someone send him ellitor's analysis of the situation) ... he will realize his overall college experience will be better at Auburn.  Maybe i'm wrong and he is a big city boy ... but that interview from him last month just makes me believe he would be happier in auburn.

kid is going to be successful wherever he ends up, though.   he has talent.

He'll do better on the Plains.

E, found this on CBS's site.

USC senior defensive end Devon Kennard is likely to miss the 2012 season after tearing a pectoral muscle during a weight training session on Thursday, sources confirmed to CBSSports.com.

Kennard, a 6-3, 260-pound senior from Phoenix, started five times and made 29 tackles as a 2011 junior and was expected to play a key role on the line for the Trojans this season.

Instead, he'll likely have surgery and take a redshirt year. If that happens, he will be eligible to play again in 2013.

You have kept up with USC better than anyone.  Will this effect their numbers?  Obviously, this is one scholarship they were planning on having open next year and now it looks like it will be spoken for if it plays out like is assumed above.

They are most likely going to take RB Silas Redd from PSU and according to some on other boards that will put them at their 75 max scholarship limit when some DE from Kentucky commits sometime this week.

right...

They are close to 75 and were expecting this player to leave the program after 2012.  Now, it appears he will be in the program for 2013 and on scholarship.  Wouldn't this eliminate the possibility of bringing in another player in 2013 unless additional attrition takes place?

Yea, you are right Todd, assuming that is how it plays out. I think Rodgers definitely will have a spot until the end, assuming Crowder does not commit (which I am not banking on at this point). Obviously if we just go bonkers and Matthews, Adams, Bryant/Green, Kearse, RSJ, and Howard all commit, he will be left on the outside looking in, but that would be a phenomenal problem to have. The end of this class will be fun to watch, because it will be nothing but studs committing from now until signing day.

They are most likely going to take RB Silas Redd from PSU and according to some on other boards that will put them at their 75 max scholarship limit when some DE from Kentucky commits sometime this week.

Did you read my post on this page 5 above yours? It kind of explains that in detail.

Rodgers is still in play whether USC has room or not.  I believe the distance will become a factor.

I agree but USC getting Silas Redd would make things easier for Auburn I believe.

Rodgers is still in play whether USC has room or not.  I believe the distance will become a factor.

I agree but USC getting Silas Redd would make things easier for Auburn I believe.

Redd supposedly going out to USCw thise weekend.

USCw just got another DE does this help?

Can't hurt.

If you look at who they have and who they are getting and who they are still recruiting, there is almost no way they cannot have a couple of people "decommit".

I have been saying this all along too, the distance and the Momma factor will come into play before its all over. I got the feeling that he was very torn on this decision and that his heart wasn't completely in to it. He has now had time to "be a USC commit", an honor he may have wanted long before AU came into the picture. He can now always say he accomplished that goal. 

But now he has had time to absorb the reality of what that will entail and the reality might not match the dream. Things can change at that point. One of the realities is that he knows his Family can come see him at AU a lot more than at USC. Another reality is that it was obvious that he really liked Auburn a lot and had become good friends with Lawson and Liner. Finally, he also knows he would be playing in a position of need at Auburn, along side two of the very best back to back OL classes ever put together by one team. I agree, I also don't think this is over.   

E, why do they want Redd?  Don't they have the #1 and #2 backs on scout already committed?  What the heck is Kiffen doing?

I'm not E, but I'll give it a shot.  USCw doesn't have "experienced" depth.  Redd will give them that.

E, why do they want Redd?  Don't they have the #1 and #2 backs on scout already committed?  What the heck is Kiffen doing?

He is stockpiling talent just like Pete Carrol did.  I may dislike that team but they always gring in great talent and it does not matter how many they have at each position. Players want to play there. I remember in the Carrol days they had like 4 RBS ranked in the top 10 from like two classes.  I also remenber one year they had an entire o-line class, I mean a whole o-line from one class, that was ranked in the top ten at their position.  It is like Bammer and linebackers.

USC has great players, and they always have. USC is one of best all-time programs, and definitely the best on the West Coast.

The numbers crunch is beginning to take it's toll on them from NCAA sanctions. They can't afford major injuries at key positions, or they will fall down the NC rankings.

2013-2014, that program is really gonna be hurting from low scholarships numbers.

Archived