2013 3* OG/C Khaliel Rodgers (USC signee)

RunInRed

we are recruiting elite guys.  against elite colleges.  this is going to happen.  i say leave the offer on the table till signing day or if we decide we like another guy better and he commits to us.  we need inside OL.  we dont NEED inside OL.  we may have to have an elite tackle play OG.  it is better than having a walkon play OG.  i think we will end up with another OG and rodgers will either sign with us or not in addition to that ...

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess is that he will commit to USC, unless CJG can pull some magic from his hat..... :(

I still think his USC offer is probably contingent on him being an EE.

I typically don't agree with the hard line approach with recruits, but in this case if I were the Auburn coaches I would tell KR he has an offer with us ready for his acceptance unless we get a commitment from another guard.  At that point, he'd be SOL and there is no turning back.  We could get that commitment tomorrow, next week, next month, or next year, but when and if that happens he would have no offer.

We are being treated like a backup plan in every sense of the word.

IMO there is no room for pride in recruiting as in letting it get in the way of getting good players. I am not saying we are a back up plan but IF we are then so be it. I still want him and will welcome him with open arms if he commits to Auburn.

Or even worse we force him into a commit he isn't ready to give and when Dec rolls around he flips leaving us only a month and a half to find a late replacement.

My guess is that he will commit to USC, unless CJG can pull some magic from his hat..... :(

I typically don't agree with the hard line approach with recruits, but in this case if I were the Auburn coaches I would tell KR he has an offer with us ready for his acceptance unless we get a commitment from another guard.  At that point, he'd be SOL and there is no turning back.  We could get that commitment tomorrow, next week, next month, or next year, but when and if that happens he would have no offer.

IMO there is no room for pride in recruiting as in letting it get in the way of getting good players. I am not saying we are a back up plan but IF we are then so be it. I still want him and will welcome him with open arms if he commits to Auburn.

Or even worse we force him into a commit he isn't ready to give and when Dec rolls around he flips leaving us only a month and a half to find a late replacement.

Good point.

Good to see a top tier program other than Auburn (& I guess W. Va) on his offer list.

I'm gonna disagree with that, his stock is up there especiually after his work this summer. We may have just lost him to USCw. I'm pretty sure he will be an early enrollee, anybody know? Wonder if USCw can accommodate that...

To each his own.  The perception of being a backup plan to any other school, including USC, can also hurt Auburn with other recruits.  If I'm Kiffin, if I go up against AU with any other recruit I would remind said recruit of the KR situation.  Do you really want to commit to USC's backup?

Some coaches are very hard line with that and agree with giving a "commit or get lost" ultimatum, while others are not.  I simply am proposing a "commit while you can" ultimatum to KR.      

To each his own.  The perception of being a backup plan to any other school, including USC, can also hurt Auburn with other recruits.  If I'm Kiffin, if I go up against AU with any other recruit I would remind said recruit of the KR situation.  Do you really want to commit to USC's backup?

Some coaches are very hard line with that and agree with giving a "commit or get lost" ultimatum, while others are not.  I simply am proposing a "commit while you can" ultimatum to KR.      

The reality is every person is different and have their own #1 choices and back up plans. Combine that with the new NCAA 25 limit scholly rule there is not enough spaces for everybody so most teams will have a back up plan sign with them. Back up plans are not perception but reality depending on the individual situation. Again let's not let our pride get in the way of getting good football players and men. I believe the coaches have Rodgers #1 on their board at OG and as long as they feel they have a real good chance of getting him then they wait on him just like they are waiting on the #1 DT on their board in Monty Adams which has become an AU clemson battle.

Nothing wrong with telling a kid he could miss the boat while waiting, but I would shy away from the ultimatum approach.  Like was stated earlier, it could cause a premature commitment (can't wait to see the jokes on this one), and leave us in the lurch come signing day.  

Spanky across the state uses this approach, which in itself is reason not to do it.  These kids and their parents are starting to catch on to weeman's antics, and they will catch up to him at some point.  

The way I look at it, these elite recruits are being woo'd by every major program in the country.  They have to pick one, and it is not feasible for us to believe that every one of them will make the right choice and pick Auburn.  The only time I have a problem with it is when certain vertically challenged coaches strong-arm commits just so that other programs don't get them.  Say what you want, but I truly believe this happened a few times over the past couple years.  

The reality is every person is different and have their own #1 choices and back up plans. Combine that with the new NCAA 25 limit scholly rule there is not enough spaces for everybody so most teams will have a back up plan sign with them. Back up plans are not perception but reality depending on the individual situation. Again let's not let our pride get in the way of getting good football players and men. I believe the coaches have Rodgers #1 on their board at OG and as long as they feel they have a real good chance of getting him then they wait on him just like they are waiting on the #1 DT on their board in Monty Adams which has become an AU clemson battle.

The 25 scholarship rule is a SEC rule and not an NCAA rule, I believe.  But I agree with everything  that you said!!

I think we lost him. He wants to play with Kenny. We still have a shot but...

Slightly OT but recruiting interior OL is the one and only position that I preferred the Tuberville method. Recruit a bunch of DT's and move the one's that aren't cut out for the position to OG. DT's are almost always going to be more athletic than an OG at the hs level.

The 25 scholarship rule is a SEC rule and not an NCAA rule, I believe.  But I agree with everything  that you said!!

The NCAA passed the rule in January. All schools are limited to 25 now.

From Khaliel's personal twitter account

FaithFamilyFootball ‏@Sapp_SoLaidBack

Ugh I'm bout to have so press ,news, and interviews.. This week a big one..am I ready? ‪#hyfr‬

Auburn & USC

From Khaliel's personal twitter account

Ugh I'm bout to have so press ,news, and interviews.. This week a big one..am I ready? ‪#hyfr‬

Auburn & USC

Hopefully in that order!!!

FWIW, there are Letter Of Intent (to sign a scholarship at a future date) limits and Initial Counter (for first time scholarships) limits.  The NCAA has had a 25 Initial Counter limit for a while now.  The LOI limits are what have changed in recent years. 

FWIW, there are Letter Of Intent (to sign a scholarship at a future date) limits and Initial Counter (for first time scholarships) limits.  The NCAA has had a 25 Initial Counter limit for a while now.  The LOI limits are what have changed in recent years. 

That is what I thought, they never passed a hard twenty five number.  They can enroll up to 25 but can sign as many as their conference allows. 

I am starting to get that feeling.  I hope I'm wrong, and it has nothing to do with Bigelow.  I'd love to have Rodgers independent of his relationship of KB.

Come on Khaliel!

It's hard to turn down your dream offer.  Hopefully this kid does the right thing for himself, and not let anyone/anything pressure him into a decision he regrets.  And that includes coming to Auburn if his heart isn't truly in it. 

War Eagle Khaliel! 

It's hard to turn down your dream offer.  Hopefully this kid does the right thing for himself, and not let anyone/anything pressure him into a decision he regrets.  And that includes coming to Auburn if his heart isn't truly in it. 

War Eagle Khaliel! 

+1

That is what I thought, they never passed a hard twenty five number.  They can enroll up to 25 but can sign as many as their conference allows. 

^^^^^^^This is incorrect...

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/01/sec_learning_to_live_with_new.html

Read this article

The NCAA has passed the same 25 + EE exemptions if a team signs under 25 in the previous class while maintaining 85 limit the whole year just as the SEC has done. Conferences can place more restrictions as the Big 10 have done but they can not go beyond the new NCAA/SEC rules on signing players.

War Eagle Khaliel! 

+1

Yes, please! We only want the players who want to be here!

If that's KR, great. If not, then he should go where he wants to go.

^^^^^^^This is incorrect...

[urlhttp://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/01/sec_learning_to_live_with_new.html]Read this article[/url]

The NCAA has passed the same 25 + EE exemptions if a team signs under 25 in the previous class while maintaining 85 limit the whole year just as the SEC has done. Conferences can place more restrictions as the Big 10 have done but they can not go beyond the new NCAA/SEC rules on signing players.

I was not aware that the NCAA passed this, but it still allows for signing back if you do not sign 25 the year before and your numbers work out, so you could sign more and count back if they are early enrollees, is that correct?  You seem to be on top of recruiting info, I shouldn't have questioned you!!!  Thanks for the link, E.  Sounds like this rule was passed to stop what  :devil: was doing.

I thought it was already said he couldn't be a EE

You are thinking of Foster who we recently found out can't be an EE.

Has there been any news as to whether or not KR was able to get into Summer School in order to finish early?

Archived