2013 3* OG/C Khaliel Rodgers (USC signee)

RunInRed

The 25 scholarship rule is a SEC rule and not an NCAA rule, I believe.  But I agree with everything  that you said!!

The NCAA passed the rule in January. All schools are limited to 25 now.

FWIW, there are Letter Of Intent (to sign a scholarship at a future date) limits and Initial Counter (for first time scholarships) limits.  The NCAA has had a 25 Initial Counter limit for a while now.  The LOI limits are what have changed in recent years. 

That is what I thought, they never passed a hard twenty five number.  They can enroll up to 25 but can sign as many as their conference allows. 

^^^^^^^This is incorrect...

[urlhttp://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/01/sec_learning_to_live_with_new.html]Read this article[/url]

The NCAA has passed the same 25 + EE exemptions if a team signs under 25 in the previous class while maintaining 85 limit the whole year just as the SEC has done. Conferences can place more restrictions as the Big 10 have done but they can not go beyond the new NCAA/SEC rules on signing players.

I was not aware that the NCAA passed this, but it still allows for signing back if you do not sign 25 the year before and your numbers work out, so you could sign more and count back if they are early enrollees, is that correct? 

That is correct as long as the team is at or under 85 at all times. One more footnote. Let's say a team signs 23 players for a class. They would be able to sign 27 the next year if 2 are EEs and the team is under 85 players on roster. Let's say 1 of those 23 are not in school come the next NSD. You would think that a team could sign a 28th player if they had room under the 85 cap. That is not the case. Because of the new rules the team in this example has a max of 27 players it can sign no matter how many from the previous class are not in school or did not quality.

Sounds like this rule was passed to stop what  :devil: was doing.

Actually it was passed because of Nutt and to a lesser extent Tubs signing and putting kids in Juco.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's an interesting little tidbit.  USCw is expecting their next two commits to be Nico Falah on July 11 and Jalen Ramsey (dammit) on July 16.  Falah is a talented OL who is projected as an OT, but is versatile enough to play OG. Because of last year's class and overall depth chart, OL is not a priority this year, especially because of the limited numbers, and they need a tackle more than a guard.  Keep in mind, July 11, that's tomorrow.

Here's an interesting little tidbit.  USCw is expecting their next two commits to be Nico Falah on July 11 and Jalen Ramsey (dammit) on July 16.  Falah is a talented OL who is projected as an OT, but is versatile enough to play OG. Because of last year's class and overall depth chart, OL is not a priority this year, especially because of the limited numbers, and they need a tackle more than a guard.  Keep in mind, July 11, that's tomorrow.

Interesting if it turns out that way. It would only leave 5 spots left for Rodgers at USC.

Interesting if it turns out that way. It would only leave 5 spots left for Rodgers at USC.

Yeah, 5 slots total; but based on positions of need, how many slots do you think for OG?  I'm thinking zero.  The more this plays out, the more I start to believe that "pretty boy and bench press" are more concerned about the Bigelow/ Rodgers/ Sills/ Irvin-Sills "package" than they are letting on.

Mike Farrell ‏@rivalsmike

if he doesn't choose #USC I'd be stunned @hpenau: @rivalsmike easy call? Meaning which school? (For Rodgers)

if he doesn't choose #USC I'd be stunned @hpenau: @rivalsmike easy call? Meaning which school? (For Rodgers)

I am not saying he is wrong, but Farrell is one of the worst prediciton makers, if not the worst, among national analysts on any site.

I am not saying he is wrong, but Farrell is one of the worst prediciton makers, if not the worst, among national analysts on any site.

I don't know that I'd go that far.  I've seen him hit the nail on the head more than a few times.

I was following all the national guys picks last year towards the race to NSD. Farrell was the best by only missing 1 down the stretch?

quote author=cookedw link=topic=45341.msg910332#msg910332 date=1341938050] Farrell ‏@rivalsmike

I was following all the national guys picks last year towards the race to NSD. Farrell was the best by only missing 1 down the stretch?

Lets just hope he is "stunned" and KR becomes an Auburn Tiger

The 25 scholarship rule is a SEC rule and not an NCAA rule, I believe.  But I agree with everything  that you said!!

FWIW, there are Letter Of Intent (to sign a scholarship at a future date) limits and Initial Counter (for first time scholarships) limits.  The NCAA has had a 25 Initial Counter limit for a while now.  The LOI limits are what have changed in recent years. 

That is what I thought, they never passed a hard twenty five number.  They can enroll up to 25 but can sign as many as their conference allows. 

[urlhttp://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/01/sec_learning_to_live_with_new.html]Read this article[/url]

The NCAA has passed the same 25 + EE exemptions if a team signs under 25 in the previous class while maintaining 85 limit the whole year just as the SEC has done. Conferences can place more restrictions as the Big 10 have done but they can not go beyond the new NCAA/SEC rules on signing players.

I was not aware that the NCAA passed this, but it still allows for signing back if you do not sign 25 the year before and your numbers work out, so you could sign more and count back if they are early enrollees, is that correct? 

That is correct as long as the team is at or under 85 at all times. One more footnote. Let's say a team signs 23 players for a class. They would be able to sign 27 the next year if 2 are EEs and the team is under 85 players on roster. Let's say 1 of those 23 are not in school come the next NSD. You would think that a team could sign a 28th player if they had room under the 85 cap. That is not the case. Because of the new rules the team in this example has a max of 27 players it can sign no matter how many from the previous class are not in school or did not quality.

Actually it was passed because of Nutt and to a lesser extent Tubs signing and putting kids in Juco.

Actually, the Nutt rule is the 28 player cap rule the SEC imposed in 2009.  The present rule was instigated by the SEC in 2011 after the Big Ten and some in the media railed against the SEC recruiting "advantage" when another SEC team (cough... Auburn) won the NC.   Slive and the presidents caved to the pressure and also proposed it as a NCAA rule. 

http://blog.al.com/solomon/2009/05/sec_passes_limit_on_football_s.html

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/06/sec_adopts_roster_management_r.html

P.S. Slive and the Presidents would be a great name for a band.

Actually, the Nutt rule is the 28 player cap rule the SEC imposed in 2009.  The present rule was instigated by the SEC in 2011 after the Big Ten and some in the media railed against the SEC recruiting "advantage" when another SEC team (cough... Auburn) won the NC.   Slive and the presidents caved to the pressure and also proposed it as a NCAA rule. 

http://blog.al.com/solomon/2009/05/sec_passes_limit_on_football_s.html

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/06/sec_adopts_roster_management_r.html

P.S. Slive and the Presidents would be a great name for a band.

I know and understand all that and even the the 28 rule was the immediate result of the Nutt Impact (no jokes. This is a family site.) but it was just as much an impact on the subsequent 25 rule. Mods can you take the 25 rule posts out of the Rodgers thread and make a 25 rule thread? TIA

New Free Article on Rodgers

Justin Hokanson

AuburnSports.com Senior Recruiting Analyst

The nation's No. 1 offensive guard prospect has narrowed his schools of interest to two, USC and Auburn. Eastern Christian Academy (Md.)'s Khaliel Rodgers, a Rivals100 player, breaks down the latest.

"I'm down to Auburn and USC," Rodgers said. "Nobody is leading, they are 50/50. I've been to each school two times, I have a great relationship with all the coaches. I may be committing this week, I may commit next month."

Rodgers is being recruited to Auburn by linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen and offensive line coach Jeff Grimes, as well as USC defensive coordinator Ed Orgeron and offensive line coach James Cregg.

Rodgers and his family met with his high school coach on Monday, discussing the pros and cons of each situation. He feels confident he possesses all the information needed to make the right decision.

"I'm definitely in a great position, two of the top programs in the nation. They are both top notch in academics and football, great head coaches. The only real differences is distance, and Auburn has that over USC. But that's for my family, I don't care about distance. With that said, USC is still a great school. I pray about it all the time," Rodgers said.

"They both have great traditions. Their rivalries are great. I've yet to be at the Auburn-Alabama game, but watching '30 for 30', it's crazy. I've been to the USC-UCLA game, that's a great rivalry. It's the people down at Auburn, everybody knows each other. USC, you can't go to Los Angeles and find a USC hater, they are all about that school."

Rodgers talks about the similarities and differences in the two programs, similarities first.

Khaliel Rodgers will decide between Auburn and USC.

"Auburn is definitely back to competing for national titles. They will probably have one more year to go, and USC is just getting back to the point where they are back as national title contenders. They are both far from home," Rodgers said.

And differences?

"Well, Auburn is in the SEC. They've owned college football for six years now, and Auburn just won a national title. I believe USC did too, little further back," said Rodgers. "But they can be very different. They have different styles, the competition may be different in SEC vs. Pac-12.

"USC is in a big city, where Auburn is in a small town. Coming from Delaware, I'm a city-boy, but I loved going to the country in Virginia with my grandpa, so I am good with either one. It kind of is an advantage for Auburn because I did grow up in the country, and where Auburn is, you really don't have any distractions. I'm mature enough to not have distractions even at USC though, I'm focused on football."

A key dynamic in Rodgers recruitment has been the fact that two of his Eastern Christian Academy teammates are committed to USC and Auburn. Kenny Bigelow is pledged to the Trojans, while Jahmere Irvin-Sills is pledged to the Tigers. Rodgers is adamant that their commitments are not the sole reason for his interest in the two schools.

"No way," Rodgers said. "Both schools have great tradition, I might want to play in the SEC against harder competition, so I'd like to go to Auburn. But then again, I'd like to go out west and play, USC is one of the top programs out there. But no way am I choosing those two schools because of Kenny and Jahmere."

Rodgers last visited Auburn on June 8-10. Unfortunately, that was the same weekend the tragic shootings took place in Auburn, claiming the lives of two former football players. Rodgers had a unique experience, as he witnessed the heartbreak of the Auburn team first hand. That experience grew him closer to the Tigers' players.

"I think I have a closer bond with Auburn, because I've been in a situation with them already. I've been with them at the scene of the shooting. I've seen players crying, but they stuck together. I've been to USC, but I feel like I have a closer bond with Auburn."

Two future Auburn players Rodgers has come to know are five-star commits Carl Lawson and Dee Liner. Rodgers had some epic battles against both at the Rivals100 Five-Star Challenge in Atlanta.

"Those are some funny, funny guys. They are cool people, I love Dee and Carl," Rodgers said. "They didn't really push me the first day atthe Challenge, but they talked about Auburn a lot. They want me to commit. I talk to Dee all the time."

For now, it appears to be a waiting game for Rodgers. He maintains he could commit tomorrow, he could commit in a month.

Watch the video on this page also.. He calls out Monty and RN for an upcoming camp in Atlanta.

I think he's simply being diplomatic in that article.  That's a genuine, yet cautious p.r. delivery not designed to reveal too much.  I don't think what he talks about gives us an edge per se.  However, I love that the players we do get come to Auburn for that very reason.

I think he's simply being diplomatic in that article.  That's a genuine, yet cautious p.r. delivery not designed to reveal too much.  I don't think what he talks about gives us an edge per se.  However, I love that the players we do get come to Auburn for that very reason.

I see your point as well.

I have to admit that, until now, I wasn't overly concerned about whether we got this kid or not but after reading the article and watching the video, I AM SOLD!!  I want this kid in O&B!  Seems like a kid in the mold of a Reese Dismukes that plays with a nasty streak.  Gotta love that he is calling Monty and RN out also because it shows that this kid is fearless and feels he has something to prove.  War Damn Mr. Rodgers!!

I have to admit that, until now, I wasn't overly concerned about whether we got this kid or not but after reading the article and watching the video, I AM SOLD!!  I want this kid in O&B!  Seems like a kid in the mold of a Reese Dismukes that plays with a nasty streak.  Gotta love that he is calling Monty and RN out also because it shows that this kid is fearless and feels he has something to prove.  War Damn Mr. Rodgers!!

Everyone should see the video....dude's tough, mean, and is 100% convinced he's the baddest thing on the field.  Put that guy on my team. 

Yes, these two hi-lighted sentences jumped out to me, but who knows.

Rodgers last visited Auburn on June 8-10. Unfortunately, that was the same weekend the tragic shootings took place in Auburn, claiming the lives of two former football players. Rodgers had a unique experience, as he witnessed the heartbreak of the Auburn team first hand. That experience grew him closer to the Tigers' players.

"I think I have a closer bond with Auburn, because I've been in a situation with them already," said Rodgers. "I've been with them at the scene of the shooting. I've seen players crying, but they stuck together. I've been to USC, but I feel like I have a closer bond with Auburn."

Two future Auburn players Rodgers has come to know are five-star commits Carl Lawson and Dee Liner. Rodgers had some epic battles against both at the Rivals100 Five-Star Challenge in Atlanta.

"Those are some funny, funny guys. They are cool people, I love Dee and Carl," Rodgers said. "They didn't really push me the first day at the Challenge, but they talked about Auburn a lot. They want me to commit. I talk to Dee all the time."

I've seen pictures on recruiting sites that make him look a little soft or puggy but Rogers is one bad dude.  I would live to get a guy like this.  To call out Adams you have to have a lot of confidence. 

We are looking for a guard. He is the best guard in the country. Enough said.

I've seen pictures on recruiting sites that make him look a little soft or puggy but Rogers is one bad dude.  I would live to get a guy like this.  To call out Adams you have to have a lot of confidence. 

I thought the same thing, but on the Rivals video, he is super quick and very strong.

I wonder what coach or person has been speaking with Rodgers.  Rodger made the statement that we're a year away from competing for championships.  I don't necessarily agree but I wonder who he's been talking to about it.  Just curious, not trying to stir the pot.

I wonder what coach or person has been speaking with Rodgers.  Rodger made the statement that we're a year away from competing for championships.  I don't necessarily agree but I wonder who he's been talking to about it.  Just curious, not trying to stir the pot.

Based on getting blown off the field 4 times last season it would be a logical statement from the outside looking in.

Archived