2013 4* RB Jordan Wilkins (Ole Miss signee)

RunInRed

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we'll still pursue Green and Dye pretty hard

I know we'd take 2, but would we take 3?

I wonder if the coaches are operating under the assumption that they might get Green or Dye, but not both?

I really doubt it, unless one of them holds out until the end, we miss on a bunch of other targets and they want to sign with us. Numbers are pretty tight this year.

"What do you think is going to happen to Mason, Blakeley, Grant and Robinson? All go down with injuries?"

Look, in value-of-recruits discussions I do NOT pretend to be more qualified than our coaching staff or a kazillion other folks out there. Looking at Wilkens film, projecting strengths & weaknesses of the probable 2013 O line, reading reviews about Wilkens & Loefflers historic RB skill preferences, and yes, factoring the other RBs into the mix, IMHO this guy is an SEC type RB waiting to explode more so than the others in Loefflers O. Mason's skills are almost night & day different from Wilkens but Mason will more likely be a situation rather than every down back. fwiw, IMO Dye would be an even better back than Wilkens.

What would you guys think about converting Wilkins to a wide receiver? He's a big, fast guy that can obviously catch the ball well and would be great blocking on the edge. Just food for thought.

I wonder if the coaches are operating under the assumption that they might get Green or Dye, but not both?

I really doubt it, unless one of them holds out until the end, we miss on a bunch of other targets and they want to sign with us. Numbers are pretty tight this year.

Roger that, thx

but he could be starting by mid season as a true frosh against SEC Ds. He's that good. IMO.

No offense; but I'd love to hear your reasoning behind this. Wilkins wasn't even top 2 on the coaches board, in fact, they were actually kind of slow-playing him as he wanted to commit to Auburn a while ago and IMO they didn't want to risk losing him so they took his commitment. Auburn is still recruiting Derrick Green and Greg Bryant; both of whom are better than Wilkins and higher on the board. Green is supposed to be in Auburn this weekend, as is Tyshon Dye.

To piggy back on your point, we'll still pursue Green and Dye pretty hard. Though he is a talented back, I agree Wilkins fills a need but wasn't exactly what they wanted.

Good points. Green is that bruiser back, #1 in the nation. Bryant is a really dynamic playmaker, currently committed to the Sooners. Dye is lower on our boards than those first two, but he's definitely an SEC caliber RB that our coaches would be happy with.

I wonder if the coaches are operating under theassumption that they might get Green or Dye, but not both?

We wouldn't take them both.

Happy and sad all at the same time.  (Vandy alum, for those who don't know.)  The kid couldn't possibly have made a bad decision.

If I were in his shoes, some things I'd have thought about.

1. I don't know that Vandy is a great social environment for a minority athlete.  It's been a long time, so maybe things are much better.

2. I don't know how long Franklin will stay in that job.

3. If education is important, Auburn's got a lot to offer.  A whole lot depends upon whether Auburn allows players to focus on education.  I taught at Vandy a little, and I know the athletes don't have anywhere to hide there.  Not saying they're all majoring in biomedical engineering, but they're well mixed into the courses everybody takes.

4. RB is the one position where I want my teammates to be big and ugly.  A Vandy back takes a lot of abuse, probably more than an Auburn back.

Vandy has better professors and a better overall education. However, AU does a better job challenging students. We were listed as number 1 in hardest classes in the southeast (ahead of both vandy and ga tech). Don't get me wrong, vandy is a good school. However, students can get an education that is almost as good with a better chance to win.

???  Number 1 in hardest classes??

Welcome Wilkins.  Work hard on bringing that championship home!

Happy and sad all at the same time.  (Vandy alum, for those who don't know.)  The kid couldn't possibly have made a bad decision.

1. I don't know that Vandy is a great social environment for a minority athlete.  It's been a long time, so maybe things are much better.

3. If education is important, Auburn's got a lot to offer.  A whole lot depends upon whether Auburn allows players to focus on education.  I taught at Vandy a little, and I know the athletes don't have anywhere to hide there.  Not saying they're all majoring in biomedical engineering, but they're well mixed into the courses everybody takes.

4. RB is the one position where I want my teammates to be big and ugly.  A Vandy back takes a lot of abuse, probably more than an Auburn back.

Vandy has better professors and a better overall education. However, AU does a better job challenging students. We were listed as number 1 in hardest classes in the southeast (ahead of both vandy and ga tech). Don't get me wrong, vandy is a good school. However, students can get an education that is almost as good with a better chance to win.

???  Number 1 in hardest classes??

Welcome Wilkins.  Work hard on bringing that championship home!

I know this has gotten a bit off topic but help us out with the hardest classes comment. Please tell us where we can read aout this. I would love to use this against my UGA friends.

Great pickup in Wilkins. He may be very good. What is up with Tenn and RB's? I think AU has pulled 2 4 star RB's from Tenn. the last 2 years and Vandy got a good one too. Can't Tenn recruit their own homestate anymore? The state of Tenn is not the best for pulling a ton of D1 talent; Tenn needs to get all they can. AU has done a really good job of getting some good players out of Tenn .

Crying for the Vols?! Who's crying for that buncha inbreds?!

Happy and sad all at the same time. (Vandy alum, for those who don't know.) The kid couldn't possibly have made a bad decision.

1. I don't know that Vandy is a great social environment for a minority athlete. It's been a long time, so maybe things are much better.

3. If education is important, Auburn's got a lot to offer. A whole lot depends upon whether Auburn allows players to focus on education. I taught at Vandy a little, and I know the athletes don't have anywhere to hide there. Not saying they're all majoring in biomedical engineering, but they're well mixed into the courses everybody takes.

4. RB is the one position where I want my teammates to be big and ugly. A Vandy back takes a lot of abuse, probably more than an Auburn back.

??? Number 1 in hardest classes??

Welcome Wilkins. Work hard on bringing that championship home!

I know this has gotten a bit off topic but help us out with the hardest classes comment. Please tell us where we can read aout this. I would love to use this against my UGA friends.

Great pickup in Wilkins. He may be very good. What is up with Tenn and RB's? I think AU has pulled 2 4 star RB's from Tenn. the last 2 years and Vandy got a good one too. Can't Tenn recruit their own homestate anymore? The state of Tenn is not the best for pulling a ton of D1 talent; Tenn needs to get all they can. AU has done a really good job of getting some good players out of Tenn .

I apologize I can't find the article, but i'm pretty sure it was a US News and Report article. It didn't rate us number 1, it merely said that we are one of the 8 hardest schools to get an A at in the Southeast. They did the 8 schools in each region. I'll keep looking and post when i find it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_162-37243170/grade-inflation-colleges-with-the-easiest-and-hardest-grades/

Kid is fast. Just look at his 4.10 on his scout profile

http://auburn.scout.com/a.z?s=6&p=8&c=1&nid=5739797

He is not 4.1 fast. More like 4.4 fast.

4.5 at best. Not that it matters

Looking at his video I am thinking Rudi Johnson speed.  If he plays like Rudi then we will all be thrilled.  Speed is not his best asset though for sure.

I'm sorry, but i am inclined to argue the 4.1 speed. Everyone knows that what is posted on the internet is true and accurate.  You guys just haven't figured that out yet.

Now, this is a world class athlete that should be on the track team as well.  I am seeing a future Hershel Walker.

All joking aside, i could care less what JW's actual 40 time is.  I am stoked that we have his commitment, can't wait to see his contributions to the team in the future.  No stacked expectations, or undue pressure.  I think he is going to be awesome for our beloved team.  He seems to be a good kid.  Clean cut, well spoken, and VERY smart.  I hope it all pans out for him!

WAR EAGLE JORDAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wedance:

As far as speed goes the real question is could Jordan beat tigerchris is a foot race ??? If he does he's world class if not he's Omac fast ...

As far as speed goes the real question is could Jordan beat tigerchris is a foot race ??? If he does he's world class if not he's Omac fast ...

TigerChris vs. Wade Christopher, 40 yd dash, who wins?

How dare you! Now this whole site will be in trouble!

Now we get no dessert and the site gets shut down...thanks a lot ....u.never mention the great one never ...

You just reminded me of this hilarious video The 40 starts at the 10:20 mark but the whole video is funny and worth watching...

Archived