2013 4* RB Jordan Wilkins (Ole Miss signee)

RunInRed

Looks like I'm not alone in saying he's a great fit...and apparently he WAS high on our board:

Auburn in contention for nation's top recruiting class after recent string of commitments

Published: Friday, July 20, 2012, 10:14 AM Updated: Friday, July 20, 2012, 10:29 AM

9983399.png By Matt Scalici, al.com

In a span of just under two weeks, Gene Chizik and his Auburn coaching staff have taken Auburn's 2013 recruiting class from being a strong, solid group among the nation's top 15 or so, to being a serious contender for the nation's best overall recruiting class. The big move has come thanks to a series of high-profile commitments, including commitment stolen away from the Tigers' in-state rival.

"Auburn is on a big recruiting roll right now and has really built up momentum heading into the start of fall drills when the focus will shift more toward the team," said Auburn Undercover recruiting analyst Bryan Matthews. "Winning a key in-state battle for 4-star athlete Jason Smith, taking 5-star linebacker Reuben Foster away from Alabama and then landing a 4-star running back in Jordan Wilkins over the past nine days has elevated Auburn's class into the Top 5 of the 247Sportsteam recruiting rankings."

The addition of Wilkins on Wednesday gives the Tigers another high-profile offensive play-maker in a class that appears to be geared toward giving new offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler plenty of elite skill position athletes to utilize in the future.

"I think Jordan Wilkins is a very important pickup for Auburn," said Matthews. "He fills a big need as a big, powerful running back to fit the offense Auburn is transitioning to under Scot Loeffler and he was the Tigers' No. 1 running back target. Auburn coaches evaluated a number of running backs across the country and settled on Wilkins as the top guy after seeing him in-person this spring. Anytime a schools gets its top target at a need position, it's a big-time pickup."

With the Tigers now entrenched among the top classes in the nation heading into the fall, a handful of Chizik's top remaining targets could give Auburn the opportunity to push for the top overall class in the 2013 cycle.

"Auburn definitely has the potential to close strong and maintain its spot in the Top 5 and perhaps push for a higher finish," said Matthews. "There are several top prospects on Auburn's board that could provide a big boost including 5-star defensive tackle Montravius Adams, 4-star offensive guard Tyrone Crowder and 4-star athlete Jayron Kearse."

Auburn also has its eye on yet another Alabama commitment, Autauga Academy tight end O.J. Howard. While the elite tight end remains committed to the Tide, Auburn is expected to continue actively pursuing the star play-maker right up until National Signing Day.

Related topics: Jason Smith, Jordan Wilkins, Reuben Foster

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he may be the best of the bunch.

He could be and maybe I am wrong but I think the Michigan coaches had him higher as they went after JW hard before pursuing DG.  However when I watch the films it seems JW does not have great speed like most of our RB recruits.  Rudi proved you don't have to a be a blazer if you have the strength and vision.  Elusiveness is also something that can't be measured and JW has it.  However the effectiveness of how his skills will translate from the the not so great Tennessee high school system to the SEC is impossible to predict.  DG and BG seem to have more potential but our coaches love what JW brings to the table or they would not have accepted this commit so early.

He's the best of the RBs we have committed!!  :thumbsup:

He's far and away the best RB we have committed. He's bigger,stronger,faster and has much stronger character than any other RB that's committed to us. If I were to bet on JW vs the other RB commits we have so far, I'd take JW 99 times out of 100.

He's far and away the best RB we have committed. He's bigger,stronger,faster and has much stronger character than any other RB that's committed to us. If I were to bet on JW vs the other RB commits we have so far, I'd take JW 99 times out of 100.

And you'd have a win percentage of .990!!  Amazing if you think about it!

He could also be the worst of the RBs we have committed!!!(think before you react)

I think he may be the best of the bunch.

He could be and maybe I am wrong but I think the Michigan coaches had him higher as they went after JW hard before pursuing DG.  However when I watch the films it seems JW does not have great speed like most of our RB recruits.  Rudi proved you don't have to a be a blazer if you have the strength and vision.  Elusiveness is also something that can't be measured and JW has it.  However the effectiveness of how his skills will translate from the the not so great Tennessee high school system to the SEC is impossible to predict.   DG and BG seem to have more potential but our coaches love what JW brings to the table or they would not have accepted this commit so early.

Could be, but if Michigan was dead set on taking a RB this class it may have just seemed safer to go after JW given DG's stretched out time table.  If they missed on JW (as they did) it would still give them time to pursue another RB. Whereas if they put all their eggs in the DG basket, the risked being left out in the cold late in the game. I also think that in some respect this is what AU did. Though this in no way means either school saw JW as a consolation prize. I think either school would take him as their first an only back and be completely satisfied. In fact some have even speculated he is CL's favorite of the bunch.

He could also be the worst of the RBs we have committed!!!(think before you react)

If you take the mean of all RBs committed, he's pretty average.  ;)

this has been an interesting RB recruiting cycle ... wilkins, dye, green and bryant have all been thought of as "the best" by different AE posters ...

i really, really like wilkins' apparent high character - simply dont know anything about the other 2 guys remaining - i have read positive character type comments on bryant and green.  they are all impressive athletically

this has been an interesting RB recruiting cycle ... wilkins, dye, green and bryant have all been thought of as "the best" by different AE posters ...

i really, really like wilkins' apparent high character - simply dont know anything about the other 2 guys remaining - i have read positive character type comments on bryant and green.  they are all impressive athletically

Both Green and Bryant have the reputation of being excellent students and all-around good people.

• 3 weeks later...

From his first game last night...

St. Benedict 34, McNairy Central 14: St. Benedict...running backs Jordan Wilkins and Sean Peck added one (TD) each for the Eagles...Wilkins, an Auburn commitment, had 84 yards rushing on 17 carries.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/aug/18/prep-roundup/

Got to see Mr. Wilkins in action last night. Not a terribly in interesting game given the level of overall play and what seemed to be a penalty enforced about every other down. Not another D1 prospect on the field. Wilkins generally had DL's in is face about the time he got his hands on the ball for most of the night so not able to tell much about how he would fare under more optimal conditions.

A few overall observations:

Build - he's every bit of 6'1" and likely 210, but looked as if he needed another 15 or 20 lbs on his frame in preparation for college ball.

Durability - played essentially the entire game on both sides of the ball, RB, Free Safety and even punted, and always appeared to be "fresh". Did wear a brace on one of his legs, but there was no noticeable limp in either his walking or running.

Attitude - flashes of aggressiveness, but for the most part was "careful" about where he chose to run. This surprised me a little given his build.

Elusiveness - not terribly elusive or shifty....more typical big body running style

Speed - good, but not elite, speed....looked good against inferior competition.

Lean - good lean once he got up a head of steam, but with the defenders in the backfield like they were it was often difficult for him to get going.

YAC - never saw him tackled by a single player and did a respectable job of gaining an additional 2-3 yards beyond what other backs would have gained.

Away from the ball - not coached well on carrying out fakes...much room for improvement, but at times was a very good blocker.

Hands - didn't see a pass thrown his way. Also didn't return kick-off's or punts so apart from risking injury or saving his energy for O & D positions, some question as to why since he was the best back on the field.

In sum, he appears to be a very good back on a very bad team. It appeared that when he was determined to do something then he did it, and that with proper motivation, level of competition and support and some improved coaching that he could be a very good addition to the team. Having seen a very similar build Jovon Robinson in action last year, the two have different running styles. JR appears to be more elusive and have greater speed. Wilkins appears to be more of a potential bruiser after some further development.

Hope to watch him again in a few weeks when they are up against better competition.

There are more coming soon. I meant to get them all up this morning but had real work to do. I only got the first half of this game. I think this kid has some real potential but we'll see how the season unfolds.

Archived