Malzahn the likely replacement

Rednilla

One thing I haven't heard anyone mention is, if we choose Gus, there's a good chance he can steal Chad Morris (assuming he doesn't get the head coaching job for NC State). I do find it interesting in all of the coaching search discussions that there is not a lot of talk about who they could land as OC and DC. I'll admit, I wasn't overly happy with the Chizik hire UNTIL he hired Gus. Then I thought it was a great hire.

You're right. What made me change my mind about Chizik was the staff he put together and Gus was a huge factor.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is auburn. We don't want none of this 62-0 crap. We want 7-3 with a good D.

/sarcasm

7-3 is too high scoring. We want 3-2.

One thing I haven't heard anyone mention is, if we choose Gus, there's a good chance he can steal Chad Morris (assuming he doesn't get the head coaching job for NC State). I do find it interesting in all of the coaching search discussions that there is not a lot of talk about who they could land as OC and DC. I'll admit, I wasn't overly happy with the Chizik hire UNTIL he hired Gus. Then I thought it was a great hire.

Why would Chad Morris come to AU to stand on the sideline while Gus calls the plays??

You're right. What made me change my mind about Chizik was the staff he put together and Gus was a huge factor.

His staff & recruiting made me think he learned from his time with Tubs & Brown. Had he let his OC & DC do their jobs, enforce weight training & player development he might still be here.

Is that game on tv?

ESPN 3

42 - 0 Arizona state 3rd qtr w9:42 left in qtr.

Sorry.. Arkansas State...42 - 0 Arkansas State end of 3rd qtr... ball on MTU 4.

Is that game on tv?

ESPN 3

14:48 4th qtr...ARST field goal...ARST 45 -0

This is auburn. We don't want none of this 62-0 crap. We want 7-3 with a good D.

/sarcasm

If you have the spread offense, it'll be more like 62-35 against Furman instead of 42-0. I'll take the shutout d and ball control offense any day.

There is no logical reason why a spread team has to have a bad defense.

true. There are times Gus went 3 and out, but every offense does that. The fact that Auburn's defense has allowed more 3rd down conversions than it's stopped the last 4 seasons is the reason the defense was worn out. Defense has to get itself off the field from time to time.

Correct. Oregon says hi. Our issue is scheme. Tampa 2 allows too much interior space in the secondary. In my opinion, anyway. Gimme a 4-2-5. Not a 4-3 nickel, but an honest to goodness base 4-2-5.

true. There are times Gus went 3 and out, but every offense does that. The fact that Auburn's defense has allowed more 3rd down conversions than it's stopped the last 4 seasons is the reason the defense was worn out. Defense has to get itself off the field from time to time.

They are handed a short field too often. IMO. Why? Who cares. Give me a killer D with a good O vs a killer O and a good D. Everyday.

Yet they almost always do.

Of course, so do a lot of pro-style. But I don't know if this is as true as it seems on the surface. Don't most of the spread teams play in conferences with a lot of other prolific spread teams? A lot of points would make sense in that case.

Is that game on tv?

ESPN 3

End of 4th qtr:

ARST 45 MTU 0

Is that game on tv?

ESPN 3

End of 4th qtr:

ARST 45 MTU 0

B.S.

Spread teams can't play D.

Correct. Oregon says hi. Our issue is scheme. Tampa 2 allows too much interior space in the secondary. In my opinion, anyway. Gimme a 4-2-5. Not a 4-3 nickel, but an honest to goodness base 4-2-5.

The SEC says 'hi' to Oregon's "D". As for the Tampa 2, I don't disagree there.

It's MTU. What conference is this again? Can't believe there is a REAL discussion about D and MTU in the same sentence. lol.

Why would Chad Morris come to AU to stand on the sideline while Gus calls the plays??

Why wouldn't he want to coach under his mentor at an SEC school? If Gus is a great head coach, then he will let his OC do his job and work with him to get even better.

Why wouldn't he want to coach under his mentor at an SEC school? If Gus is a great head coach, then he will let his OC do his job and work with him to get even better.

Morris has been mentioned for some HC positions

It's MTU. What conference is this again? Can't believe there is a REAL discussion about D and MTU in the same sentence. lol.

It's the Sunbelt. Same conference as Arky State. And today's game was for the conference championship. Coming in MTSU and Arky State each had a single conference loss. It was like vs. like, and there's nothing wrong with discussing the defense. Your comment strikes me as inane.

Archived