2013 5* CB Mackensie Alexander (Clemson signee)

AuburnWarVet

Regardless of size after watching our pass coverage (or lack thereof) the last couple of years I would love to see us sign this kid. I may get hammered for saying this but right now I think I would rather have a five star corner than a five star linebacker.

Aint nobody going to hammer you shug for that. I'd like to have this kid and anybody else for that matter who can help us fix our problems on defense. We haven't had much going for us on that side of the ball for a couple years now.

i'm right there with you, bud. as my original post said, which PCBAuburnafan hammered me for, is that we should all be just as excited, if not more, about alexander as we are for foster since M. Alexander is arguably the best recruit in the country (#4 overall by ESPN). but, apparently, since alexander is 5'10" and 185 pounds, this disqualifies him from "even being considered a top 20 prospect." strange.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regardless of size after watching our pass coverage (or lack thereof) the last couple of years I would love to see us sign this kid. I may get hammered for saying this but right now I think I would rather have a five star corner than a five star linebacker.

Aint nobody going to hammer you shug for that. I'd like to have this kid and anybody else for that matter who can help us fix our problems on defense. We haven't had much going for us on that side of the ball for a couple years now.

i'm right there with you, bud. as my original post said, which PCBAuburnafan hammered me for, is that we should all be just as excited, if not more, about alexander as we are for foster since M. Alexander is arguably the best recruit in the country (#4 overall by ESPN). but, apparently, since alexander is 5'10" and 185 pounds, this disqualifies him from "even being considered a top 20 prospect." strange.

You better listen to those who disqualify him on size. Size matters. That's why that undersized, three-star Johnny Manziel will never amount to anything.

How many game would we have been in had we covered receivers on 3rd down? I honest to God got to the point that if they had 3rd and 18 I figured 50/50 chance to get off of the field. I liked the way a couple of our young guys aggressively covered toward the end of the year but we need help in the secondary.

You better listen to those who disqualify him on size. Size matters. That's why that undersized, three-star Johnny Manziel will never amount to anything.

Lets be fair. If he wasn't the best player in college football, nobody would know who Manziel was.

Lets be fair. If he wasn't the best player in college football, nobody would know who Manziel was.

Touche

LOL yeah, funny how it works that way. He wouldn't be anything if he wasn't the best.

I really hope we get this young man. I'm not sure how realistic our chances are, but he is a great player, at a position, that is a big need for us IMO. I hope he see's the light and becomes the next Thorpe winner from Auburn University.

Will we have to wait unti NSD on his decision?

I really hope we get this young man. I'm not sure how realistic our chances are, but he is a great player, at a position, that is a big need for us IMO. I hope he see's the light and becomes the next Thorpe winner from Auburn University.

I heard on the radio yesterday that the opportunity for early playing was an important factor in his decision. I think that bodes well for us.

How many game would we have been in had we covered receivers on 3rd down? I honest to God got to the point that if they had 3rd and 18 I figured 50/50 chance to get off of the field. I liked the way a couple of our young guys aggressively covered toward the end of the year but we need help in the secondary.

On the topic of the size of a CB there is also this point. A 5'10" 185 pound CB covering a WR like a glove would probably be better than a larger CB trailing the same WR by 2 yards. Admittedly this would just be a guess on my part and I have no documents to prove it.

On the topic of the size of a CB there is also this point. A 5'10" 185 pound CB covering a WR like a glove would probably be better than a larger CB trailing the same WR by 2 yards. Admittedly this would just be a guess on my part and I have no documents to prove it.

Makes sense to me. Until he imploded I think Tyrann Mathieu (5-9 170) played some pretty good ball. He also was an undersized 3 star no one wanted. Got to hand it to Les for spotting him.

you have no idea how nice it is to find a person on here who is reasonable.

you have no idea how nice it is to find a person on here who is reasonable.

your welcome

I think we do have some good corners on our team, butt they were playing in a system that set them up to fail. I really don't think early playing time will happen at the cb position.

I think we do have some good corners on our team, butt they were playing in a system that set them up to fail. I really don't think early playing time will happen at the cb position.

I hope you're right. Martinez said last year they wanted to play tight man but corners didn't have skills (coaching or talent?).

Makes sense to me. Until he imploded I think Tyrann Mathieu (5-9 170) played some pretty good ball. He also was an undersized 3 star no one wanted. Got to hand it to Les for spotting him.

He just needed the few extra lbs in his brain

Yes.

Yes.

A few lbs to the brain.... was his problem.

I heard on the radio yesterday that the opportunity for early playing was an important factor in his decision. I think that bodes well for us.

Yeah, probably so..

Yeah, probably so..

Yes it does but having our DB coaches is even a bigger plus for us...Melvin Smith and Harbison had been working him hard prior to their moves to Auburn and they both have outstanding track records of player development

It would really be nice to get this kid to beef up our secondary. However, I think our chances of getting him is about 30-40%..

It would really be nice to get this kid to beef up our secondary. However, I think our chances of getting him is about 30-40%..

Think I'd say they're a little better than that for this reason. 2 of the schools he was highest on were Clemson and MSU. Charlie Harbison from Clemson and Melvin Smith were the guys recruiting him to those schools and are both on staff at Auburn now. We may not get him but I like our chances to be better than 30 - 40%

Archived