2013 2* QB Mitch Stults (Murray State signee)

Altima

I have always wanted a quick crafty little cracker to be a WR for us. I miss watching Tre do his thing as a RB. Sometimes us white boys can run a little!!!

Tre was not that crafty. He just showed a lot of heart in the one game versus Bama.

What has ever happened to Tre Smith? My daughter was IN LOVE with him! Got a picture with him, caught his nasty sweat band after A-Day game, and we ordered her his USED bowl game jersey, which she promptly put on her pillow and slept with....EEEWWWW! Of course, she was about 15 then. LOL

I actually have an AU hat signed by: Tubbs, Cooper Wallace, Tre Smith, and James Willis

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kid has the football "something" that cannot be taught. With 25 scholarships to offer, not sure why we could not take a chance on this kid.

Kid has the football "something" that cannot be taught. With 25 scholarships to offer, not sure why we could not take a chance on this kid.

You know how many non-prospect kids there are that have good looking highlight reels on a yearly basis? A LOT.

This kid is a good athlete, but lets head back down to reality: he's a 5'7 160lb white kid. In what alternate dimension is that an "SEC player"? You act like 25 scholarships is a lot for a team that just finished a season in which I could count on about 1 hand the total number of players that looked to be SEC caliber.

Need I also remind you that showing "the football 'something' that cannot be taught" is a lot different in the SEC than it is in 3A HS football in Alabama. Alabama's 250-pound NFL linebackers aren't going to fall for his dinky spin-move.

Because we are already going to be near number crunches on scholarships for both the 25 and 85 limits? I don't understand when everyone on this board finds some kid who is decent in high school and want to offer him a scholarship. Half our recruiting class would be undersized white kids that don't compete athletically with Kentucky

He is not the only 5'8 ish kid who can make a defender miss in high school. Guys like Wes Welker are the exception not the rule. Guys like Jacquizz Rodgers got scholarship offers by a number of SEC and other BCS schools and Darren SProles was an All American and High School football player of the year in Kansas. Just because they are cut in the same mold does not make them even close to equal from a talent perspective.

You offer these guys that don't fit the physical measurements desired from your players but potential have some intangibles to make up for it a walk on scholarship. If they are good enough, they will earn a walk on scholarship.

You know how many non-prospect kids there are that have good looking highlight reels on a yearly basis? A LOT.

This kid is a good athlete, but lets head back down to reality: he's a 5'7 160lb white kid. In what alternate dimension is that an "SEC player"? You act like 25 scholarships is a lot for a team that just finished a season in which I could count on about 1 hand the total number of players that looked to be SEC caliber.

Need I also remind you that showing "the football 'something' that cannot be taught" is a lot different in the SEC than it is in 3A HS football in Alabama. Alabama's 250-pound NFL linebackers aren't going to fall for his dinky spin-move.

After the type players the previous staff brought in that are no longer on scholarship because of their attitude problems and thuggish behavior ... .

I have always wanted a quick crafty little cracker to be a WR for us. I miss watching Tre do his thing as a RB. Sometimes us white boys can run a little!!!

Tre was not that crafty. He just showed a lot of heart in the one game versus Bama.

I hope you are not saying he didn't show a lot of heart in other games. Some of us think he was one of the most gutsy little guys to wear orange and blue. I do realize I'm in the minority on this board. Like many other players TS had to deal with a lot of negative comments by "fans".

My problem with Hamilton is the fact that they are a 5A school somehow playing in the 3A band... I graduated from Hamilton in 1990, and we always played in 5A. A former coach at Hamilton is now in a position of power at the AHSAA, and magically Hamilton becomes 3A. Not discounting the kid's talent, but they are playing against undermanned teams. I know his dad, and from what I have seen he's a pretty good and upstanding kid...

:wareagle:

PS. Hamilton is a major bammer town, more so than even Russelville and the like. Sanderson and Hollingsworth were both Hamilton products that played for bammer in the late 80's / early 90's...and are considered demigods in that town to this day...

I thought he was pretty crafty with that overhead flip for the TD against Florida. You didn't like that?

I thought he was pretty crafty with that overhead flip for the TD against Florida. You didn't like that?

It's possible we have different definitions of crafty. In football a crafty player to me has the wiggles and shakes like Mitch does. Tre was more of a hard nosed, physical runner for his size.

Sorry I chose a word that caused an argument here. My intent was to describe a person who might lack "measurables" but has all the "intangibles" and uses them for success. So everyone is right here!! WDE everyone!!! BTW, Ellitor, U still rock brother even if we don't agree on Tre being "crafty". Thanks for all you do to keep us informed with such great and nearly always accurate info.

Although I liked Tre a lot he really only had that one game he was the star in. But it was a great one game!!!!

Realistically the kid has no potential at an SEC school. I'm glad he's a good HS QB but as far as football he wouldn't get offers from the UABs of the world. He's a D III player at best and probably not a qb at that level. If he wants to give walk on a shot I'm all for it especially if he can bring a good family and student to AU and the community that's even better.

I would say more like a D II player. He could probably play for UWA, or a school like that.

You have to wonder why coaches would spend time right now recruiting walk-ons. But I guess you have to try to convince a few kids to accept an invited walk-on offer before signing with a lower tier school like Air Force. Would be doing the kid a disservice because he would never see the field. Gus is always thinking ahead though. He is not conceding the TAMU game (or any other game)and needs someone to run scout team. Mitch Football could probably do it but for his sake take the AF offer. By the way this lower tier school would have probably whipped our tails last year with their 2-stars just like Vandy.

Just curious, would it have made a difference if he was black?

What has ever happened to Tre Smith? My daughter was IN LOVE with him! Got a picture with him, caught his nasty sweat band after A-Day game, and we ordered her his USED bowl game jersey, which she promptly put on her pillow and slept with....EEEWWWW! Of course, she was about 15 then. LOL

He is floating around the Montgomery area. Not sure exactly what he does. Saw him at Pizza Perfect one day at lunch and he has hung out with one of my coworkers a couple times at a football party.

Sorry, this kid maybe a good little player, but no way is he D1 material.

I think we all agree that he is probably being contacted as an "invited" walk-on...

But... Let's not degrade the kid on his abilities. This kid has the potential work his way into a "Garrett Harper" role sooner, rather than later.

Does anyone remember Garrett Harper??? He was a "little white kid" that played high school ball with Keihl Frazier, and put up crazy numbers. Malzahn invited him to walk-on in 2011, and he turned heads all through camp. By the Utah State game, he not only made the dress list, he made the travel squad AND the 3-deep at wide reciever. All while making some noise on special teams and even blocking a punt!

I don't know this Stults kid, and I've never seen him play... but, Gus isn't stupid. If he thinks he kind find a spot for him on this roster, so be it! Just because he is not on scholarship doesn't mean he can't play... And, just because he his "little", doesn't mean he's not D1 material. This kid has WAY more ability than Garrett Harper. (p.s. - I hope Garrett's doing good at SMU)

Just curious, would it have made a difference if he was black?

I am white - and yes, yes it would make a difference! lol You know "White Men Cant Jump" is based on a true story, right?

Ok enough fun with that - lets back off of pulling the race card out over that comment.

I would take a chance on him. He has more heart than some presently occupying our roster.

Sorry, this kid maybe a good little player, but no way is he D1 material.

I think we all agree that he is probably being contacted as an "invited" walk-on...

But... Let's not degrade the kid on his abilities. This kid has the potential work his way into a "Garrett Harper" role sooner, rather than later.

Does anyone remember Garrett Harper??? He was a "little white kid" that played high school ball with Keihl Frazier, and put up crazy numbers. Malzahn invited him to walk-on in 2011, and he turned heads all through camp. By the Utah State game, he not only made the dress list, he made the travel squad AND the 3-deep at wide reciever. All while making some noise on special teams and even blocking a punt!

I don't know this Stults kid, and I've never seen him play... but, Gus isn't stupid. If he thinks he kind find a spot for him on this roster, so be it! Just because he is not on scholarship doesn't mean he can't play... And, just because he his "little", doesn't mean he's not D1 material. This kid has WAY more ability than Garrett Harper. (p.s. - I hope Garrett's doing good at SMU)

Harper left because he knew he would never see the field when Gus left. It must be frustrating for a walk-on to know you're better than a lot of players on scholarship but you're not going to take a snap. Most only last one year for that reason alone.

Archived