2013 3* OG Wilson Bell (FSU signee)

AuburnWarVet

This staff seems to looking at a lot of 3* guys. Why.

The coaches could care less how many stars are next to there names.

Unfortunately, if properly coached, the higher rated (more stars) guys tend to win more games than the lesser rated guys. It is a fact that the school with higher ranked recruiting classes (again more stars) tend to win more football games. Chizik and staff were the exception to that rule.

wde

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plenty of very good ball players are/were 3 stars. Brumbaugh was a 3 star as was Fairley. What you want is a coaching staff that can get as many true 4-5 stars as possible and find those diamonds among the 3 & 2 star guys. Let's hope these 3 stars coming to AU are the diamonds.

The coaches could care less how many stars are next to there names.

Unfortunately, if properly coached, the higher rated (more stars) guys tend to win more games than the lesser rated guys. It is a fact that the school with higher ranked recruiting classes (again more stars) tend to win more football games. Chizik and staff were the exception to that rule.

wde

^^^This. Since Chiz screwed up with our recruits people tend to think 3 stars are just as good as 5 stars but people need to understand that 5 stars almost always end up being better than 3 stars when you have decent coaching. Every once in awhile a diamond in the rough is found but that is rare

And I think offering these lower rated players is really just Gus keeping his options open to fill up this class if the big targets (Monty Adams, Carl Lawson, Derrick Green, Reuben Foster) dont choose Auburn

Does every other thread about a 3* that AU is looking at have to devolve into an argument about whether 3* players are as good as a 4* or even a 5*?!? Why don't we just accept that if our coaching staff is recruiting a "3*", that they think he's a good fit for AU. Whether he's a good fit because one of the higher ranked guys that the coaches wanted is not interested OR if the staff just thinks the player is better than his Rivals/Scout/ESPN/whatever ranking would portend, who knows. Either way, to have a food fight about it every time gets tiresome. I want whoever the coaches want that also wants to come be an AU tiger. It's that simple. :wareagle:

Now back to Wilson Bell...

Does every other thread about a 3* that AU is looking at have to devolve into an argument about whether 3* players are as good as a 4* or even a 5*?!? Why don't we just accept that if our coaching staff is recruiting a "3*", that they think he's a good fit for AU. Whether he's a good fit because one of the higher ranked guys that the coaches wanted is not interested OR if the staff just thinks the player is better than his Rivals/Scout/ESPN/whatever ranking would portend, who knows. Either way, to have a food fight about it every time gets tiresome. I want whoever the coaches want that also wants to come be an AU tiger. It's that simple. :wareagle:/>

Not to mention we have spots to fill and and coachable talent is better than the all American that thinks his stuff don't stink

Does every other thread about a 3* that AU is looking at have to devolve into an argument about whether 3* players are as good as a 4* or even a 5*?!? Why don't we just accept that if our coaching staff is recruiting a "3*", that they think he's a good fit for AU. Whether he's a good fit because one of the higher ranked guys that the coaches wanted is not interested OR if the staff just thinks the player is better than his Rivals/Scout/ESPN/whatever ranking would portend, who knows. Either way, to have a food fight about it every time gets tiresome. I want whoever the coaches want that also wants to come be an AU tiger. It's that simple. :wareagle:/>

+1

OG, lifetime Auburn fan, it's his dream offer, kid is big and solid, 6' 4"- 296, if this is a commitable offer this kid is ours. Took the UCF offer as a bird in the hand. Now he is getting offers from Auburn, USCe, Ole Miss, FSU, Texas Tech and a ton of mid level schools.

This one is a head scratcher. With so much young talent at guard, not sure why we are going after a flyer that will need a redshirt year if he pans out. It's nothing against him as a player, just the strategy.

I would think we'd throw this scholarship on the defensive side of the ball (say cornerback).

This one is a head scratcher. With so much young talent at guard, not sure why we are going after a flyer that will need a redshirt year if he pans out. It's nothing against him as a player, just the strategy.

I would think we'd throw this scholarship on the defensive side of the ball (say cornerback).

Where is this talent at OG that you speak of? We have a lot of OT talent, but little depth at OG.

Personally I think auburn should take 3 OL each season seeing how we have had tremendous attrition at this spot. Remember that 2010 class? Slade is the only one that has really contributed. 2011 we have already lost westerman. I like this move as I think this will help gusrantee we get at least 2 kids in this season

The OG runs a 4.65 and thats just what CGM needs for his offense.. something that big, pulling and blocking... I love the thought.

Wow! That's a hell of a 40 for a 300 pounder!

Where is this talent at OG that you speak of? We have a lot of OT talent, but little depth at OG.

I think we have 5 OL Redshirts already that should help us this year.

I want as many 4 and 5 stars as the next guy. With that said: this kid has been a life-long Auburn fan, and AU is his dream school! Seems to be a good kid with no qualifying issues. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this the type of athlete we want at AU?

Oh by the way, he is still in High School, he weighs-in around 300 lbs, and runs a 4.65, forty. I'll take em, how bout Y'all?

Only one of the redshirts is a pure guard, Kozan. We have 3 guards on the roster, Slade (Jr), Danzey (Jr) and Kozan (RFr). With Bell we would have 2 pure guards coming thru the system together, ready to be there when Slade and Danzey graduate. I read where at 6'4", 296, there is hardly any fat on this kid and he can move.

Only one of the redshirts is a pure guard, Kozan. We have 3 guards on the roster, Slade (Jr), Danzey (Jr) and Kozan (RFr). With Bell we would have 2 pure guards coming thru the system together, ready to be there when Slade and Danzey graduate. I read where at 6'4", 296, there is hardly any fat on this kid and he can move.

Kind of makes me wonder why he is just a 3 star. Now I am as bad as everyone else talking about stars etc...

Kind of makes me wonder why he is just a 3 star. Now I am as bad as everyone else talking about stars etc...

Not sure, but maybe he is not at a larger school, and therefore does not get quite as much attention from the recruiting services. It could also be that he is not just stellar at the camps/combines and other stuff used to evaluate the recruits.

Not sure, but maybe he is not at a larger school, and therefore does not get quite as much attention from the recruiting services. It could also be that he is not just stellar at the camps/combines and other stuff used to evaluate the recruits.

Thanks for the info!

Personally, I think when he took that "bird in the hand" UCF offer back in November, he was probably put on the shelf mentally by the bigger schools. But in January he picks up an offer from Ole Miss then comes FSU and Auburn. He will probably get more SEC offers now too. Happens every year, good players get overlooked or undervalued on a staff's board. Back then we were after Rodgers and were only taking 1 OG. The new staff feels different and I am glad because I think he will be a good player.

Personally, I think when he took that "bird in the hand" UCF offer back in November, he was probably put on the shelf mentally by the bigger schools. But in January he picks up an offer from Ole Miss then comes FSU and Auburn. He will probably get more SEC offers now too. Happens every year, good players get overlooked or undervalued on a staff's board. Back then we were after Rodgers and were only taking 1 OG. The new staff feels different and I am glad because I think he will be a good player.

Great info, thanks!!

I think it's okay to take a few highly reguarded 3s in every class. If AUburn has a little depth to redshirt these guys, they can be developed into some really solid o-lineman. Similar to what Nebraska used to do. Get them in and work on them physically and schematically.

not sure what "pure" anything this kid is ... but pushing 300 and that kind of linear speed for that size has to make you take a look at the kid. that is moving pretty good for that size. how that translates to his first couple of steps and lateral quickness is another thing, but it is an indication of his athleticism ... if true. i would like for every OL to redshirt. same goes for bell.

Thanks for the info!

Blount is 6A region 1. One of the biggest and toughest regions in the state.

Thanks for the info!

Blount is 6A region 1. One of the biggest and toughest regions in the state.

Chris Samuels was a coach there a couple of years ago. I was wondering why uat didn't offer him.

Archived