Well, what do you think?

You seem to be in the minority.....lots of folks are eager to call it a year so they can continue their campaign against JJ. Reminds me of a couple UT friends who were eager for Fulmer to lose enough games that they could fire him. Eventually they got what they wanted and ....and I expect the same guys are now hoping that the same thing happens to Dooley. "The grass is always greener....."

Dooley was fired after last season. They brought in Butch Jones from Cincy.

So they did....forgot that....but what' that make....now on their third coach since Fulmer left about 5 years ago? And we've are on #3....probably going on 4 since Baird left after 16 years.....and lots of lean seasons for all of them including HB some years. Looks to me that AU's problem is about more than coaching....though I'm not sure what it might be.

I do agree it may be more than just coaching. However, I very much understand the game of baseball. We just lack basic fundamentals IMO. This isn't a one season thing either. There is not one aspect of the game that we are above par IMO. From everything I know, Coach Paw is a great guy. If he stays I will support and hope he turns things around. I just don't trust, that the product I have seen the last few years, will consistently win games. There are just to many flaws, IMO, and it has nothing to do with talent.

Really priez le disent :-\

Don't know what that means and not going to look it up. You understand the game of golf like most don't. I played this game at a level not many do. I wasn't a pitcher that doesn't understand the game either.

What the heck does that mean? So you weren't a pitcher and you didn't understand the game??? How many beers have you had.

As for your statement "You understand the game of golf like most don't"

You are correct....

That tells me you don't know the game...

Pitchers learn to pitch and what bag they should cover in a certain situation. They don't learn how to take a lead off of a bag. They don't learn how to run the bags. They don't learn how to talk in the field. They don't learn who the cut-off man is and how to line them up with the bag. They don't learn how to peak in and see what the pitch is and the location, which helps in positioning yourself in the field. They certainly don't learn how to hit. Most pitchers are absolutely lost on a field except for the raised part of it that is 60' 6" from the plate. There are a few Tim Hudson's out there, but not many.

My goodness get off your high horse...calm down take some drugs...or drink fewer beers I was actually better at BB then golf but that's another story.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well since this thread is supposed to be about the NCAA tourney chances, I'll get it back on topic.

With A&M's win over Vandy today, I'd say AU's chances went from 75% to about 30% of getting into the tournament. Another win by A&M and AU is done for the season.

Well since this thread is supposed to be about the NCAA tourney chances, I'll get it back on topic.

With A&M's win over Vandy today, I'd say AU's chances went from 75% to about 30% of getting into the tournament. Another win by A&M and AU is done for the season.

I am afraid you might be right. A&M is the biggest threat to knock us out IMO. Hopefully our resume is good enough to get an invite. I would feel a lot better about it with a W yesterday.

A win yesterday would have sealed the deal for AU. Alas, they have to sit around all weekend and wonder.

Our current RPI is ninth in the SEC with Arkansas at ten. There won't be ten SEC teams in. Tonight Arkansas beat Ole Miss (who was already in). The longer A&M and Arkansas play the more our chances dwindle. Out of sight, out of mind where the committee may be concerned.

Let's go hire Jim Case from JSU...a proven winner.

So was Pawlowski. "Proven Winner" doesn't mean much to me. More concerned about coaching ability and management style. Is a coaches' team fundamentally sound? When is he being aggressive vs. playing for a run? What's his philosophy on working the count? What's his recruiting ability based on the kids that actually attend Auburn and don't go to the pros from high school? Those are the things that matter.

Sitting around waiting and hoping for an invite is a direct result of not taking care of business during the season and SEC tournament. I'd like to see AU playing some more ball this year but don't think they have done what is necessary to get there....

So was Pawlowski. "Proven Winner" doesn't mean much to me. More concerned about coaching ability and management style. Is a coaches' team fundamentally sound? When is he being aggressive vs. playing for a run? What's his philosophy on working the count? What's his recruiting ability based on the kids that actually attend Auburn and don't go to the pros from high school? Those are the things that matter.

Put a name with your criteria list there Buddy...Jim Case would do just fine.

Put a name with your criteria list there Buddy...Jim Case would do just fine.

Never said he wouldn't. Was more harping on the "proven winner" comment.

Good comment Brad......CJP picked up win number 500 earlier this year....Case is at about 350 or so. What makes Case such a catch....they win a game every now and then against AU's mid-week line-up? "Proven winner" is vague term. .....and the two favorite successor coaching candidates on this board have mediocre records at small schools? Is that called "thinking big"?

CJP appeared, to me at least, to be a solid coaching hire at the time he was hired. at least the best i recollect. i believe his hire was generally considered an optimistic and positive one. if i recall, he was a solid coach at CoC. he has been given 5 years. fundamentals are lacking. pitching improved this year. i dont know of gabe got the best out of the hitters, which is ultimately the head mans responsibility. i stated earlier in the season (maybe preseason) that these kids have been playing ball for a whole lot of years and fielding/base running errors should not be made at what feels like a higher rate than they should be.

i have to give credit to CJP in creating a team that was able to fight back from behind an abnormal amount of times this year. i just wish we didnt get behind so often in the first place.

i suspect CJP will be our guy for next year. so i will support him and the team right up until the last game next year. but if we are not in the upper half of the sec, pushing for regular season title, sec tourney title and a making a serious run at the superregional then he needs to resign, not be fired.

we should have a solid team next year if everyone stays and improves.

When your 1 and done and you have your 4th losing conference record in 5 years, what does that say about the head coach.

I can report to you with 100% confidence that neither of those will occur. I believe that the Deese and Chizik dismissals are all that Gogue and Jacobs can stomach for one year.

I can report to you with 100% confidence that neither of those will occur. I believe that the Deese and Chizik dismissals are all that Gogue and Jacobs can stomach for one year.

I kind of think you are right. I just wonder what Coach Paw's contract situation looks like. If we are to a point where it is at a small buy-out.........

This is a senior-laden team. This year should have been the peak, with next year a rebuilding year. As far as improvement, when have we seen a player improve in the last five years? Most do like Dillon Ortman, to name just one. They come in here as freshmen, show a lot of promise and three years later they can't even get on the field. The longer they stay on Pawloski's team the worse they get.

As far as our pitching "getting better", it is not. The numbers are better but look around college baseball. Look at the scores in the SEC tournament. Everybody's pitching numbers are better because of the deadened bats.

We need a real baseball coach who's use to winning and winning big. We don't have a coach like that in place.

As of right now, according to warrennolan.com, our rpi has gone back up to 38; and just a thought for those who think there is no way the SEC gets ten teams in the NCAA's, the SEC has gotten 9 teams in with a 12 team conference in past years. It's like adding Texas A&M from the big 12 basically, so it's not as far fetched this year. Just an idea.

I think, in the end, our OOC schedule will cook our goose as far as the NCAA is concerned. We missed going one year because we didn't win over 50% of our games. There are two ways to remedy that: Either field a better team or make a weaker schedule. Coach Pawloski opted to go the weaker schedule route, canceled a three-game home series with Arizona and replaced them with the likes of Al. State. Also, last year we had Missouri as an OOC opponent. We did not replace them with a major opponent either.

While the watered down schedule did result in AU winning over 50% of our games, it will come back to haunt us on selection day. Next time we should try the "make a decent OOC schedule and field a better team" option.

Surprisingly going into today even with an RPI of 39 every projection have us in by the skin of our teeth.

The one thing that may get us in is the fact Auburn BEAT Florida and TAMU, the other two SEC bubble teams, on the road. The Florida series it was no doubt who the better team was. This one factor may go in our favor.

Baseball America in fact projects Auburn in and Florida and TAMU out and probably for this very reason.

Archived