2015 3* S Ben Edwards (Stanford signee)

EagleDamnWar

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People said we would be fine after Ben decomitted. Mikey said he was tired of people saying we would be "fine." Was I wrong in taking that to mean that Mikey does not think we will be fine because of this de-commitment? Yes it is too bad Ben decided to look around. But lets not make this in to more than it is. It's a high school player who as never played a snap of college ball deciding he may not want to go to AU. We may not replace him with a player ranked as highly but we can probably find another safety prospect. Will he be as good as Ben? Who the hell knows. A million different ways a reasons that could turn out. I thought EF was going to be the best safety ever when he signed and how'd that turn out?

Bottom line is that we were fine when Calloway, Yeldon, Foster, Drew, and Lattimore decided not to go to AU and we'll be fine if Ben doesn't come here either. Just another example of people falling in love with a recruit and forgetting that there are plenty more out there.

There ain't much way to spin this decommitment into a positive. It's the loss of a four-star player at a position of need. Maybe we will find a great replacement, maybe not but "we'll be fine" every time something unfortunate happens is wearing thin.

Ha! So we won't be fine because Ben Edwards is going to another school (maybe)? Too bad I was really excited about the direction of our program.

It really is too bad he decided to decommit because we do need some bigger safeties. But I promise....we'll be fine with or without him.

This class won't be as fine if we don't get an equivalent replacement. That fact should be unarguable.

This class won't be as fine if we don't get an equivalent replacement. That fact should be unarguable.

Another spot open that wont be filled by a LB...how irate are you?

Not irate at all, yet. The staff is aiming at signing three or four true linebackers. If they succeed, my level of irateness will be near zero. If they fail to sign at least three, it will be the same ol' same ol' from me and you'll just have to deal with it.

Disappointing this D staff couldn't retain Edwards, another in the line of Evans, Foster, etc. decommits on that side of the ball. Not the end of the world but this doesn't exactly improve the Auburn section of ole Ellis' resume. Together with our lower half SEC D's since he's been at Auburn ole Ellis' coordinating of recruiting oversight/closing/retention may or may not be on track to produce something more than the "bend and usually break" Ds he's coordinated so far. But he's a good interview.

This has to be the dumbest post in AUFamily history. WTF are you talking about? You do realize that last year was Ellis Johnson's first year at AU and what he and the rest of the D staff did with the D last year was incredible. Bend don't break? The D in 2013 was the worst in AU history and what he built last year with mostly the same people was just a short of a miracle.

As for Foster and Evans....... bid friggin whoop. One player, who this staff was going to keep just because he was committed to AU, that is going to be processed at uat and one player who has never taken a snap in college. Plus the character of Evan's is about as good as Nick Saban. Lie Lie Lie.

And I'm not sure why this isn't talked about more here, maybe this isn't known by most , but do you know who was calling for a return on the kick six? Who was the one who recognized the need to put a return guy, Davis, back during the uat field goal? Ellis Johnson.

Edwards decommitted because of Trey Matthews. Trey will start for AU for 3 years. Does this hurt depth? Yep. No fact about it. Is AU going to give up on Edwards. Nope. DC will continue to recruit him and AU will be in this till the end. No matter if he commits to Stanford.

And as far as safety recruiting. AU has it's #1 guy committed. And has several already committed who could/will play at safety. I hate losing a 4* guy like Edwards. Hate it actually but at the end of the day AU will be fine. And AU is still in it for Roundtree. My understanding is they were never 100% sure Edwards was going to stick so being cautious they get recruiting Roundtree. And no one here, including myself knew this.

There ain't much way to spin this decommitment into a positive. It's the loss of a four-star player at a position of need. Maybe we will find a great replacement, maybe not but "we'll be fine" every time something unfortunate happens is wearing thin.

Ha! So we won't be fine because Ben Edwards is going to another school (maybe)? Too bad I was really excited about the direction of our program.

It really is too bad he decided to decommit because we do need some bigger safeties. But I promise....we'll be fine with or without him.

Not irate at all, yet. The staff is aiming at signing three or four true linebackers. If they succeed, my level of irateness will be near zero. If they fail to sign at least three, it will be the same ol' same ol' from me and you'll just have to deal with it.

Disappointing this D staff couldn't retain Edwards, another in the line of Evans, Foster, etc. decommits on that side of the ball. Not the end of the world but this doesn't exactly improve the Auburn section of ole Ellis' resume. Together with our lower half SEC D's since he's been at Auburn ole Ellis' coordinating of recruiting oversight/closing/retention may or may not be on track to produce something more than the "bend and usually break" Ds he's coordinated so far. But he's a good interview.

This has to be the dumbest post in AUFamily history. WTF are you talking about? You do realize that last year was Ellis Johnson's first year at AU and what he and the rest of the D staff did with the D last year was incredible. Bend don't break? The D in 2013 was the worst in AU history and what he built last year with mostly the same people was just a short of a miracle.

As for Foster and Evans....... bid friggin whoop. One player, who this staff was going to keep just because he was committed to AU, that is going to be processed at uat and one player who has never taken a snap in college. Plus the character of Evan's is about as good as Nick Saban. Lie Lie Lie.

And I'm not sure why this isn't talked about more here, maybe this isn't known by most , but do you know who was calling for a return on the kick six? Who was the one who recognized the need to put a return guy, Davis, back during the uat field goal? Ellis Johnson.

Edwards decommitted because of Trey Matthews. Trey will start for AU for 3 years. Does this hurt depth? Yep. No fact about it. Is AU going to give up on Edwards. Nope. DC will continue to recruit him and AU will be in this till the end. No matter if he commits to Stanford.

And as far as safety recruiting. AU has it's #1 guy committed. And has several already committed who could/will play at safety. I hate losing a 4* guy like Edwards. Hate it actually but at the end of the day AU will be fine. And AU is still in it for Roundtree. My understanding is they were never 100% sure Edwards was going to stick so being cautious they get recruiting Roundtree. And no one here, including myself knew this.

BRA-FREAKIN-VO!!! :bow:

Ellis appreciates you sniffing his boxers. But that's okay, somebody here recently jumped on me for reminding folks about the AUF crowd that touted Ted Roof. His reasoning? Roof has been great everywhere he coached...except Auburn. Pure genius. The direction ole Ellis is headed is hardly encouraging. I'll give you Foster but losing top recruits after they verbal is okay if you have adequate depth or a realistic plan B. So if you're satisfied with his "potential" more power to you. Losing Evans being "big friggin whoop" doesn't suggest much cerebral activity prior to your post, just anger.

Bump.... just like to see it back up again. Made my day a little better.

Nobody has said that we didn't want Edwards, we do. He is at a position however, that we happen to be pretty deep at currently. Tray Matthews may have scared him off. But the fact we firmed up Atkinson this weekend made losing Edwards sting a little less.

aucanucktiger, WTF? Did Ellis take your girlfriend?

Been sitting on that Ted Roof comment a minute haven't you?

I am going to bookmark these posts. We an revisit later... <_<

Between the debbie downers and the sunshine pumpers logic is becoming hard to find. If you want to discuss the effectivenes of our defensive coordinator in coaching I'd suggest the football forum not the recruiting. Unless of course you would like to discuss the effictiveness of the coaches recruiting. In which case you might want to create a new topic so that people looking for real news can find it in an orderly manner.

Ellis appreciates you sniffing his boxers. But that's okay, somebody here recently jumped on me for reminding folks about the AUF crowd that touted Ted Roof. His reasoning? Roof has been great everywhere he coached...except Auburn. Pure genius. The direction ole Ellis is headed is hardly encouraging. I'll give you Foster but losing top recruits after they verbal is okay if you have adequate depth or a realistic plan B. So if you're satisfied with his "potential" more power to you. Losing Evans being "big friggin whoop" doesn't suggest much cerebral activity prior to your post, just anger.

I see I'm getting trolled here. Nice job.

Im going with Dixie and WDE here. Take a deep breath canuck - I do not understand how you could possibly think CEJ has been a failure. Let alone compare him to Ted Roof. Did your account get hacked?

Personal attacks & name calling are for some reason remembered. Everybody has their share of prediction mistakes. My opinion re the direction this coordinator is taking the program is a legit, arguable point. Doesn't involve name calling (take it to the woodshed to get it off your chest - I never visit that playground for the brilliant anyway). Nothing personal to Johnson or those unbendingly in his corner. I'll grant you my doubting Ellis at this point is a bold move going into this season since chances are better we won't give up as many points/big plays against good teams this season. fwiw, the Roofies weren't as bad as the "No Russell Wilson!!!" crowd. The reasoning of many keyboard warriors was that going after him would "send a bad message to Kiehl Frazier, Barrett Trotter and Clint Moseley" and "mess up their chemistry". Some of us took some real shots from folks (mostly not around anymore) that thought we should NOT make a play for Wilson. Anyway, we'll soon see. I didn't say names re the pro-Roof or anti-Wilson crowd, you can call me out by name if you're into that and I'll eat crow when Johnson doesn't owe half his paycheck to Malzahn/Lashlee.

Mikey is exactly correct. We've got to build the kind of depth that bama and LSU have. In other words a roster full of 4 or 5 star players. As can be seen by Kozan & Lawson's problems, we are only a play away from having key players out for the year. So this "we'll be fine" is not going to cut it when we lose a key commitment like Edwards and others.

Yea right. We should never take 3 star players even though the coaches may see something in them. Players like Dee Ford, an NFL first round draft pick should never become players at AU.

Not what I meant at all. I trust the coaches evaluation much better than mine or anyone else's behind a computer screen, but when they have offered an elite prospect like Edwards and flipped him from a major power like Ohio State, it would be nice to hold onto him. I just get tired of seeing fans say "we'll be fine". I've seen it too often during the Shug, Barfield, Bowden, & Tuberville years when we lost out on a major player that went on to be a key player at another school. TN fans were saying they would be fine when Cadillac flipped to us. Look where they are now.

Personal attacks & name calling are for some reason remembered. Everybody has their share of prediction mistakes. My opinion re the direction this coordinator is taking the program is a legit, arguable point. Doesn't involve name calling (take it to the woodshed to get it off your chest - I never visit that playground for the brilliant anyway). Nothing personal to Johnson or those unbendingly in his corner. I'll grant you my doubting Ellis at this point is a bold move going into this season since chances are better we won't give up as many points/big plays against good teams this season. fwiw, the Roofies weren't as bad as the "No Russell Wilson!!!" crowd. The reasoning of many keyboard warriors was that going after him would "send a bad message to Kiehl Frazier, Barrett Trotter and Clint Moseley" and "mess up their chemistry". Some of us took some real shots from folks (mostly not around anymore) that thought we should NOT make a play for Wilson. Anyway, we'll soon see. I didn't say names re the pro-Roof or anti-Wilson crowd, you can call me out by name if you're into that and I'll eat crow when Johnson doesn't owe half his paycheck to Malzahn/Lashlee.

Love to talk to about the absolute MESS that went on behind the scenes with Roof. Not a Roof guy but he didn't exactly get a fair share at AU. And if Gus has his way he would have promised Wilson, like he did Marshall, the starting QB job. Same guy who screwed with Roof did this with Gus.

Not saying Ellis is going to set records at AU but what he did last year was an excellent coaching job. And his staff on D is elite. Chances are he succeeds at AU. My opinion.

And I'm not here to sunshine pump. Offering the D tackle this weekend has me :dunno: . The LBers are still going to be a concern. DE position is a concern in terms of getting to the passer. NM getting a "ticket" is >:( . WTHeck was he thinking. Lots to be concerned with this year. But AU is still going to be good/great. Ever team has concerns this time of the year.

How are the coaches(for any school) suppose to hang on to a high school kid that changes his mind? Some of you have lost touch with reality. So Cadillac is the reason TN has hired some bad coaches? :dunno:

Mikey is exactly correct. We've got to build the kind of depth that bama and LSU have. In other words a roster full of 4 or 5 star players. As can be seen by Kozan & Lawson's problems, we are only a play away from having key players out for the year. So this "we'll be fine" is not going to cut it when we lose a key commitment like Edwards and others.

Yea right. We should never take 3 star players even though the coaches may see something in them. Players like Dee Ford, an NFL first round draft pick should never become players at AU.

Not what I meant at all. I trust the coaches evaluation much better than mine or anyone else's behind a computer screen, but when they have offered an elite prospect like Edwards and flipped him from a major power like Ohio State, it would be nice to hold onto him. I just get tired of seeing fans say "we'll be fine". I've seen it too often during the Shug, Barfield, Bowden, & Tuberville years when we lost out on a major player that went on to be a key player at another school. TN fans were saying they would be fine when Cadillac flipped to us. Look where they are now.

I'd say we are on par or right behind LSU in terms of depth. Another recruiting class and we will be right with LSU. As for uat, no team in the country is on par with their talent. Not one team, including fsu, is even close. But Nick is only going to beat you with talent as his coaching is sub par to AU and LSU. No matter what the media says.

How are the coaches(for any school) suppose to hang on to a high school kid that changes his mind? Some of you have lost touch with reality. So Cadillac is the reason TN has hired some bad coaches? :dunno:

Funny thing is AU is still very much in the picture. Kid is confused and should have never committed to a school in the first place.

People said we would be fine after Ben decomitted. Mikey said he was tired of people saying we would be "fine." Was I wrong in taking that to mean that Mikey does not think we will be fine because of this de-commitment? Yes it is too bad Ben decided to look around. But lets not make this in to more than it is. It's a high school player who as never played a snap of college ball deciding he may not want to go to AU. We may not replace him with a player ranked as highly but we can probably find another safety prospect. Will he be as good as Ben? Who the hell knows. A million different ways a reasons that could turn out. I thought EF was going to be the best safety ever when he signed and how'd that turn out?

Bottom line is that we were fine when Calloway, Yeldon, Foster, Drew, and Lattimore decided not to go to AU and we'll be fine if Ben doesn't come here either. Just another example of people falling in love with a recruit and forgetting that there are plenty more out there.

If you look at it that way then in theory we might have a championship if we recruited one more better safety or linebacker I.e. Vonn Bell

My opinion re the direction this coordinator is taking the program is a legit, arguable point.

If only that was the extent of it.

Littering every single defense-related thread with the "Ole Ellis" routine- while peppering your comments with inaccuracies such as Ellis Johnson having been at Auburn more than one year (I mean, come on, if you were saying he'd been here 7 instead of 6, that would be something entirely different)- is not legit.

Also, to suggest that Edwards and Foster decommitting and Evans never committing are the dominant theme of Auburn's defensive recruiting in the Malzahn/Johnson era- and not Lawson, Adams, Daniel, Williams (Tre and Andrew), Davis, Moncrief, Roberts, Bessent, Ruffin, Bridges, McBryde, Lambert, Russell, etc- is neither legit nor arguable. It's just wrong.

As for Roof, if you really can't understand that *everybody* who worked for Gene Chizik failed to do as well as they have at other stops- except for Jay Boulware, somehow- then you're just not paying attention. Even Malzahn's offense eventually became incapable of scoring under Chizik.

Feel free to dislike Coach Johnson. You're not the only one. Just focus a little bit, get your facts together and try to limit your thoughts on the matter to relevant threads.

Dangit, now I'm complicit furthering the threadjack. But Edwards isn't an Auburn commit anymore, so it's okay, right? :)

I'm on my phone, just checked the thread. Somebody tell me how Edwards decommiting is CEJ's fault. Also, where the heck did Ted Roof come from in this convo?

I'm on my phone, just checked the thread. Somebody tell me how Edwards decommiting is CEJ's fault. Also, where the heck did Ted Roof come from in this convo?

+1. What's up with the whole "since EJ has been at AU" thing? You mean the ONE season? The one in which he inherited one of the worst AU defenses of all time and made them somewhat respectable? Wow.

I watched the Bama and FSU games this weekend. Auburn's D played both about as well as anyone. Some lapses and improvement is still needed, but I'm glad we have Ellis.

Archived