2015 3* S Ben Edwards (Stanford signee)

EagleDamnWar

To Crazy:

-D-Mon is highly unlikely to be 1 and don

-While Rudy is a converted RB he baled out this Spring at Safety and trending thought is he could easily be a starter in 2015

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One player does not make or break teams at AU; and losing one commit, who seemed a little wishy washy anyway, does not make or break a recruiting cycle---especially 6-7 months before NSD!!!!

Don't sleep on Roundtree. He has been a favorite if our staff for awhile. We slowed on him after taking all of our S slots. He still has us in his Top 6 and we could easily press him hard for an OV. He would be a name that I considered an upgrade from BE.

To BSCI: Ah! My bad.

Lol how did you find my post in all this garbage?! Bwahahahaha.

Just clicked on the star. It takes you to the last unread post.

Here is the reality for safety recruiting for the class of 2015. The staff went into this year planning to sign 2 safety commits. This was before the Tray Matthews option came open. I agree with many others that losing Edwards, if that holds through NSD, does hurt depth but I disagree with the thought the we have to replace him immediately. We still have 2 safeties in this class in Tray and Colbert. They staff may replace Edwards with another safety in this class but with 2 already on board I would not be surprised if they don't.

To add to the safety discussion, we just got a commitment from Davis Jr, who will most likely be a safety in the 2016 class. He is big, and athletic. We are in very nice shape at this position.

One additional note, I heard today on 247 that Rudy Ford is looking really good at the safety position now too.

Bottom line is that we were fine when Calloway, Yeldon, Foster, Drew, and Lattimore decided not to go to AU and we'll be fine if Ben doesn't come here either. Just another example of people falling in love with a recruit and forgetting that there are plenty more out there.

We weren't nearly as fine as we would have been if all those guys had signed with Auburn. Throw in top LB A. J. Johnson, who also decommitted from AU, and those six might have made enough difference to put another NC trophy in the Arena.

Bottom line is that we were fine when Calloway, Yeldon, Foster, Drew, and Lattimore decided not to go to AU and we'll be fine if Ben doesn't come here either. Just another example of people falling in love with a recruit and forgetting that there are plenty more out there.

We weren't nearly as fine as we would have been if all those guys had signed with Auburn. Throw in top LB A. J. Johnson, who also decommitted from AU, and those six might have made enough difference to put another NC trophy in the Arena.

Sorry but in my view it's a fruitless argument playing the "if only " game about recruits....the guys we hoped to get and didn't ....or the guys who were leaning somewhere else and were somewhat of a surprise when they signed with AU. All a school can do is play the kids that sign their LOI and I see no gain moaning about the ones that "got away" or how much better we could have been, etc. etc.

We got Cam and Nick by way of other SEC schools and without those two guys we would not have seen either shot at a BCS in my view.....so it seems that your argument is totally one sided....only talking about the guys that got away and not mentioning the surprises that came our way and made a huge difference.

My opinion re the direction this coordinator is taking the program is a legit, arguable point.

If only that was the extent of it.

Littering every single defense-related thread with the "Ole Ellis" routine- while peppering your comments with inaccuracies such as Ellis Johnson having been at Auburn more than one year (I mean, come on, if you were saying he'd been here 7 instead of 6, that would be something entirely different)- is not legit.

Also, to suggest that Edwards and Foster decommitting and Evans never committing are the dominant theme of Auburn's defensive recruiting in the Malzahn/Johnson era- and not Lawson, Adams, Daniel, Williams (Tre and Andrew), Davis, Moncrief, Roberts, Bessent, Ruffin, Bridges, McBryde, Lambert, Russell, etc- is neither legit nor arguable. It's just wrong.

As for Roof, if you really can't understand that *everybody* who worked for Gene Chizik failed to do as well as they have at other stops- except for Jay Boulware, somehow- then you're just not paying attention. Even Malzahn's offense eventually became incapable of scoring under Chizik.

Feel free to dislike Coach Johnson. You're not the only one. Just focus a little bit, get your facts together and try to limit your thoughts on the matter to relevant threads.

Dangit, now I'm complicit furthering the threadjack. But Edwards isn't an Auburn commit anymore, so it's okay, right? :)

Good post!

Sorry but in my view it's a fruitless argument playing the "if only " game about recruits....the guys we hoped to get and didn't ....or the guys who were leaning somewhere else and were somewhat of a surprise when they signed with AU. All a school can do is play the kids that sign their LOI and I see no gain moaning about the ones that "got away" or how much better we could have been, etc. etc.

We got Cam and Nick by way of other SEC schools and without those two guys we would not have seen either shot at a BCS in my view.....so it seems that your argument is totally one sided....only talking about the guys that got away and not mentioning the surprises that came our way and made a huge difference.

I was responding to the "we were fine without them" statement, not crying about the ones that got away. We were fine without them, very likely would have been finer with them.

I was responding to the "we were fine without them" statement, not crying about the ones that got away. We were fine without them, very likely would have been finer with them.

I don't see how anybody could argue against that.

I could say with the previous inept coaching staff we could have had all 5 stars across the board and still would have been underdeveloped and incapable of coaching them the basics of catching and tackling. RF has not gotten past the practice squad and RE, we'll see. So woulda, coulda, shoulda is irrelivent to the argument of this coaching staff and the perceived failures. JMO though

Nobody gives break downs in disappointing situations, such as this, like me....It basically comes down to this....It sucks

Nobody gives break downs in disappointing situations, such as this, like me....It basically comes down to this....It sucks

Your breakdown of 'it sucks" is definitely unique to you.

gotta have team chemistry to win college football championships ... Not just talent. Some of these kids may have hosed it up ... Maybe not, but we will never know.

Of course I would like to have had their talent AND good team chemistry

gotta have team chemistry to win college football championships ... Not just talent. Some of these kids may have hosed it up ... Maybe not, but we will never know.

Of course I would like to have had their talent AND good team chemistry

Don't forget that when we miss on one guy, we usually end up with someone else on the roster we would not have had room for. Between talent and chemistry of those we missed on and those we added, it's an impossible what-if game trying to say what might have been.

Archived