2015 3* S Ben Edwards (Stanford signee)

EagleDamnWar

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It happens, happens to most schools. Hopefully we all realize we don't live and die with the commitment of 1 recruit. He had a bright future at AU and will have one wherever he goes. The stark truth is he will be replaced and we will carry on.

Time will tell on that. We still have 4 Safeties and Stars combined committed or enrolled for this class when you count Tray.

I'm just worried does it hurt our chances with Holland and Norton

Likely won't matter. The staff is going after Holland hard but consider him a luxury because they are happy with Darrell Williams and McBoom as the LBs in this class.

Without parsing the language too much...the..."doing what's best for me"..... and "I've got to move on" leads me to believe that he was unhappy about something that happened after he flipped to AU....someone we recruited or something :dunno:

Would have been nice for him to stick but I've said previously, once a player "flips" the first time, it is easier to do it again. Not sure what he thought he would find at AU that OSU could not offer when he committed to us....guess he is still looking for that "something".....hope he finds a place where he is happy.

Hoping this won't effect Holland...

Doubt it. Think we lose Holland straight up.

Kind of the way things seem to be trending now. Not sure why we seem to be missing on our top targets lately. We seem to get red hot for a while and then start trending downward.

I understand that some is due to potential playing time, but Holland has a great chance of being in the rotation as a freshman and starting as a sophomore.

We really need D Linemen in this class. We are going to be real thin here in 2015.

Of course long time till signing day. Season we have this year can change lots of recruits mindset.

Hoping this won't effect Holland...

Doubt it. Think we lose Holland straight up.

Kind of the way things seem to be trending now. Not sure why we seem to be missing on our top targets lately. We seem to get red hot for a while and then start trending downward.

I understand that some is due to potential playing time, but Holland has a great chance of being in the rotation as a freshman and starting as a sophomore.

We really need D Linemen in this class. We are going to be real thin here in 2015.

Of course long time till signing day. Season we have this year can change lots of recruits mindset.

McBoom was the top target for the staff not Holland. Although we are still pursuing him hard the staff considers him a luxury now.

Two public commitments with two subsequent de-commitments. The next school to get Edwards' commitment shouldn't start celebrating. Until he signs somewhere, his word alone means what?

Two public commitments with two subsequent de-commitments. The next school to get Edwards' commitment shouldn't start celebrating. Until he signs somewhere, his word alone means what?

Thought same thing.

I love the line of "I have to do what's right for me". Be a man, and give the reason. Is it playing time? Is your heart leading you somewhere else? I know you don't owe anyone an explanation, but leaving it like this opens you up for speculation and ridicule. I have no problem with a commit choosing another school if they feel that is where they should be. Good luck to this young man, and I hope we don't have to see him much in the future if he is as hard a hitter as everyone is saying.

What on earth would you ridicule him for? "Be a man"? Good lord.

Simply meant that when you commit/decommit from schools like this young man has done, he opens himself up for all the haters to blast him. I, personally, have no issue with him decommitting, but would like to see a reason. Like I said before, he doesn't owe anyone a reason, but just once, I'd like to see something other than "doing what's best for me and my family" or "business decision". These comments spark all the hatred that someone must be paying more, or offering a better car, etc.

had to do it, I couldn't wait anymore," Edwards told 247Sports. "Words can't even explain. I grew up watching Auburn football. It's really just a dream come true and I can't wait to be here and play." Yes, and I'm sure whoever you flip to, you'll be "Done" with recruiting. Good luck, where ever you end up.

Hate to lose one but lets be honest with Matthews transferring in and the other guys at that position this is not a big deal, just sign a lb or dl in his place.

Looks like Stanford may be the next school to get a decommitment from Edwards. Just kidding of course. Really hope the kid has finally found a perfect fit. Wish him well.

It happens, happens to most schools. Hopefully we all realize we don't live and die with the commitment of 1 recruit. He had a bright future at AU and will have one wherever he goes. The stark truth is he will be replaced and we will carry on.

Time will tell on that. We still have 4 Safeties and Stars combined committed or enrolled for this class when you count Tray.

Didn't say would be replaced with another S, referring more to his spot in the overall numbers.

I'm going to take the Mikey approach with safeties. I think we have under-recruited the safety position over the last several years. Therezie, Whitehead, & King are all seniors. I'll also mention that Moncrief very well could be a one & done like D'haquille if he has a big year. One of our back-ups is a concerted running back that was not highly recruited at safety. While I am just as excited as anyone with Tray Matthews, he still has to prove that he's a changed individual and that he can stay out of trouble. Stephen Roberts will likely redshirt to add weight before he can gain experience. So that leaves Markell Boston and Joseph Turner. Both are guys that we are HOPING are very underrated, diamond in the rough. I think Jordan Colbert is a solid safety prospect. Elijah Sullivan & Monty Atkinson are STAR prospects, so I'm not sure if they will have a shot at safety. But we are also hoping that they are underrated, diamond in the rough type players. We NEED elite talent at that position. Edwards was a big hitter that I thought was also a solid prospect. I believe we still need 1-2 more safeties in this class, and preferably those with elite talent.

Archived