2015 4* QB Kai Locksley (Texas signee)

ellitor

Is it just me or does anyone else think that it looks like Kai is actually a better passer than Gibson at this point?

He is. TG has struggled at QB which is why he has been exclusively at WR at camps so far this year.

Okay, thanks for the clarification.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If UMD could effectively recruit the region they could be one of the better programs in the new Big Ten East. The campus is inside the DC beltway and Baltimore is only about 30 miles away, that's a metro area upwards of 10 million people (about the same as the entire state of Georgia). But as it happens, the son of their OC---who has deep roots to the state and university---is looking elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad KL is interested in Auburn, but if it doesn't work out I hope he's a Terrapin.

WDE!

If UMD could effectively recruit the region they could be one of the better programs in the new Big Ten East. The campus is inside the DC beltway and Baltimore is only about 30 miles away, that's a metro area upwards of 10 million people (about the same as the entire state of Georgia). But as it happens, the son of their OC---who has deep roots to the state and university---is looking elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad KL is interested in Auburn, but if it doesn't work out I hope he's a Terrapin.

WDE!

It's probably a bad idea for any kid to play at a college where his dad is a coach. Dad could get fired or the son may be treated better/worse than other players, especially if the kid is a legit starting QB talent. It's just safer for the kid to go elsewhere.

WDE!

It's probably a bad idea for any kid to play at a college where his dad is a coach. Dad could get fired or the son may be treated better/worse than other players, especially if the kid is a legit starting QB talent. It's just safer for the kid to go elsewhere.

Plus all it takes is the perception that he is being retested treated better/worse than he deserves to destroy team chemistry.

WDE!

Plus all it takes is the perception that he is being retested treated better/worse than he deserves to destroy team chemistry.

Yep. Supposedly, that's the concern.

As a Maryland fan, I kinda wish Kai would remove us from his list...assuming we don't have a legit shot of course.

It's hurting us with other potential QB recruits.

You guys are killing me. You would pass on a blue chip QB because of what perception might be IF something happened? Crazy talk, I say. By that rationale Auburn should rescind the scholarship offer to Bobby Bentley's son. And couldn't we also argue that Kai NOT signing with UMD could create the wrong perception?

For the record, I attended Auburn and Maryland (99% Tiger, 1% Terp).

WDE!

By that rationale Auburn should rescind the scholarship offer to Bobby Bentley's son

Bobby Bentley isn't an on-field coach. There is a pretty big difference.

It doesn't surprise me at all that Lockley may be looking to get away from the awkwardness of playing directly under his father.

By that rationale Auburn should rescind the scholarship offer to Bobby Bentley's son

It doesn't surprise me at all that Lockley may be looking to get away from the awkwardness of playing directly under his father.

It also depends on what kind of relationship he has with his father. Some kids would love to play for their dads, others want to play for anybody but their dads.

The Bentley kid has already been playing for his dad, so if that's going to be a problem, they would know about it already. Plus, given the rate at which off-field coaches are being hired by other programs, there's no guarantee Dad will still be on our staff when Son hits college.

I'm sure if Kai's dad really wants him at Maryland, then Kai ends up at Maryland. But the kid's recruitment is playing out like Kai and his dad don't think that is the ideal situation. I'm sure his dad has a lot of say in how this is playing out. That's one of the reasons I think we are in the driver's seat here. Our staff is top notch and very respected and I'm sure the Locksley family wants Kai in that kind of environment.

The Gibson/Locksley debate is intriguing to me because I think Kai is a legit contender for the QB position against Queen, but Gibson is such an athlete that he could be elite at any skill/speed position. I really want all three, but if they all have visions of playing QB, no way that happens.

I'm sure if Kai's dad really wants him at Maryland, then Kai ends up at Maryland. But the kid's recruitment is playing out like Kai and his dad don't think that is the ideal situation. I'm sure his dad has a lot of say in how this is playing out. That's one of the reasons I think we are in the driver's seat here. Our staff is top notch and very respected and I'm sure the Locksley family wants Kai in that kind of environment.

The Gibson/Locksley debate is intriguing to me because I think Kai is a legit contender for the QB position against Queen, but Gibson is such an athlete that he could be elite at any skill/speed position. I really want all three, but if they all have visions of playing QB, no way that happens.

If they all 3 have visions of playing QB that can certainly happen. But not at Auburn.

• 2 weeks later...
Josh Newberg Recruiting Insider - Noles247 - 7 hours ago

Baltimore, Md. four-star quarterback Kai Locksley will make his final decision at his senior season opening game. Locksley has no leader, but he tells Ryan Bartow of 247Sports that he knows Florida State, Maryland and Auburn will make the cut when he narrows his list.

Locksley still needs to take several visits this spring and summer before his commitment. In May, Locksley will visit Baylor and Texas. He’s contemplating a visit to Florida in June and then he might revisit a few schools like Auburn, Florida State and Maryland before deciding at the end of August.

LINK

Josh Newberg Recruiting Insider - Noles247 - 7 hours ago

Baltimore, Md. four-star quarterback Kai Locksley will make his final decision at his senior season opening game. Locksley has no leader, but he tells Ryan Bartow of 247Sports that he knows Florida State, Maryland and Auburn will make the cut when he narrows his list.

Locksley still needs to take several visits this spring and summer before his commitment. In May, Locksley will visit Baylor and Texas. He’s contemplating a visit to Florida in June and then he might revisit a few schools like Auburn, Florida State and Maryland before deciding at the end of August.

LINK

This is the DT QB that is number 1 on my list. I like kids that have coaches as parents and this kid is very talented too. I have heard people say word is he may be leaning to FSU now. I hope that all the issues that J. Winston is having at FSU may be turning his family off and hope that he leans to AU.

It also depends on what kind of relationship he has with his father. Some kids would love to play for their dads, others want to play for anybody but their dads.

The Bentley kid has already been playing for his dad, so if that's going to be a problem, they would know about it already. Plus, given the rate at which off-field coaches are being hired by other programs, there's no guarantee Dad will still be on our staff when Son hits college.

Bentley's dad will be at AU when he is a player. Gut tells me he will most likely be an on field assistant coach at this time. FWIW.

I feel like we're in good shape

I think FSU leads FWIW.

While that is all fine and dandy, the fact that he mentioned us being in his top 3 is a plus and we could still potentially be in the picture.

I think FSU leads FWIW.

While that is all fine and dandy, the fact that he mentioned us being in his top 3 is a plus and we could still potentially be in the picture.

Is FSU looking at him as a QB or ATH? And does that even matter to him?

I think FSU leads FWIW.

Is FSU looking at him as a QB or ATH? And does that even matter to him?

Another important question to ask when it comes to any athlete that FSU recruits is: does he have the potential to play any other sports at a collegiate level?

I think FSU leads FWIW.

I am hoping that Winston's mess-ups at FSU (and he has a lot of them) are making Kai's family think twice about him going to school there.

I think FSU leads FWIW.

I am hoping that Winston's mess-ups at FSU (and he has a lot of them) are making Kai's family think twice about him going to school there.

theres a joke in there somewhere about being from Maryland and crab legs

I think FSU leads FWIW.

Potentially being in the picture is not quite the same as being in good shape.

I think FSU leads FWIW.

Would you rather us not be in his top 3?

I think FSU leads FWIW.

Would you rather us not be in his top 3?

Personally I think the kid ends up with his Pops at Maryland, just thought it was funny you said you felt like we were in good shape in one post then had regressed it down to just potentially being in the picture on the next. No biggie. But yes, I would rather be in the top 3 than not. WDE.

Archived