***2017 4* JUCO QB Jarrett Stidham Signs with AU!!! (12/14/16)

Elephant Tipper

3 minutes ago, AuburnArch13 said:

This seems to me a non-sequitur. Whether  or not the NCAA finds that Kendal Briles provably committed any rules violations is completely independent of whether his actions were morally defensible. Moreover it says even less about the PR issues and media spotlight it would put on the team. If the powers that beat have told Gus that we aren't bringing Briles on board, I can't imagine anything the NCAA says would change their minds. 

Pretty sure the PTB except maybe Rich McGynn would like Gus to bring in KB.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'll be having a adult beverage or two in SF today. 

Where's your hangout?  You can pm if you don't want it publicly known or ignore it altogether if you don't want me to know.  I'm always interested in discussing football while consuming adult beverages.  

Either way, it's all good.  

2 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

To be sure I understand you here: You're hearing the NCAA is going to clear Kendall of the alleged recruiting violations that surfaced in the news awhile back, or they are going to clear him of any involvement/knowledge in the Title IX, rapes, gang rapes, and sexual assault issues at Baylor, or both?

Recruiting stuff. Has Kendal been accused for the other stuff? News to me. 

• Like 1

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Recruiting stuff. Has Kendal been accused for the other stuff? News to me. 

None that I know of, but I think a lot of that stuff at Baylor is going to keep coming out over time, and I have no idea if Kendall was or will be implicated.  I was just asking that question to see if you knew more.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Wow! I apologize to the non-wrestling fans on the board for what I started.

Ouch!  I hope those were directed towards Saban and not me. 

22 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

It seems to be the case. I'm still a little, yea right, that Rhett is a deal breaker for Stidham. 

This is what I have been saying.  It just seems too strange to be true. 

If JS can't "read" what the lack of QB development has been under Lashlee,  will he be able to read defenses? He may have all the talent in the world  BUT if he can't read what the defense is giving him,  how different will JS be from JJ6? 

OK that may be a bit of a stretch, but seriously, HOW can he be THAT sold on Lashlee? 

Something seems afoot at the circle K

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

PR issues? AL.com would be the only one who would care. Might last a week. 

There have been numerous national articles slamming Baylor and the Briles family at large for how they've handled things this year, especially following the #CAB nonsense they pulled. Sexual assault on college campuses generates a lot of media attention these days for better or for worse. If we hire either Briles, any alleged sexual misconduct by one of our players becomes part of an already existing narrative in a way that it otherwise wouldn't. I'm not sure that that's something the university wants to take on. 

I'm also not sure that the University would want to send any message no matter how tacit to its female students or fan that it condones any of what went on at Baylor.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Ouch!  I hope those were directed towards Saban and not me. 

Mine was to you for suggesting it but it was in good fun. I wanted to say something else jokingly but it was not family friendly.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

This is what I have been saying.  It just seems too strange to be true. 

If JS can't "read" what the lack of QB development has been under Lashlee,  will he be able to read defenses? He may have all the talent in the world  BUT if he can't read what the defense is giving him,  how different will JS be from JJ6? 

OK that may be a bit of a stretch, but seriously, HOW can he be THAT sold on Lashlee? 

Something seems afoot at the circle K

Well in JS's words he gives Rhett a lot of credit for developing Nick & Sean & does not put the blame on him for JJ.

3 minutes ago, AuburnArch13 said:

There have been numerous national articles slamming Baylor and the Briles family at large for how they've handled things this year, especially following the #CAB nonsense they pulled. Sexual assault on college campuses generates a lot of media attention these days for better or for worse. If we hire either Briles, any alleged sexual misconduct by one of our players becomes part of an already existing narrative in a way that it otherwise wouldn't. I'm not sure that that's something the university wants to take on. 

I'm also not sure that the University would want to send any message no matter how tacit to its female students or fan that it condones any of what went on at Baylor.

Slippery slope. Let's not delve into this topic.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Well in JS's words he gives Rhett a lot of credit for developing Nick & Sean & does not put the blame on him for JJ.

watching the last game you can see JJ clutching the ball, second guessing his reads. You can coach someone all you want but if they have a mental block its hard for them to get pass that and its something they have to do on their own. A coach can call plays to help but that also makes an offense predictable. 

• Like 4

Viper posted a link this morning already 3 pages back but here is the embed of an interview with Stidham from last night.

So we want to hire a guy who's only been working as an OC for two years... exclusively under his Pops... but want to get rid of Rhett imagegif

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Mine was to you for suggesting it but it was in good fun. I wanted to say something else jokingly but it was not family friendly.

It's all good!   Glad that I could briefly entertain you guys. 

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

OK. I can see that.  BUT it's not like we pass the ball a lot... 

Nick's interceptions dropped,  but again extreme lack of passing especially in 2013. He even appeared to regress in 2014. 

Sean has been a serviceable QB. He improved between year 1 and 2.   But he is an injury waiting to happen. That's not on Lashlee. 

JJ6 though... He has not show one ounce of improvement since arriving. He has steadily regressed. Year after year. I just dont understand not putting SOME of that on his position coach.  

I also think age may have something to do with it. Maybe that's why JS likes KB and Lashlee so much... 

Who knows. If I had to pick,  JS or a new OC, normally I say OC. No single player is more important than that,  but this time... I'm not sure of. We desperately need something new on offense. If it ain't broke,  don't fix it... Well it's broke,  and it ain't being fixed... The fact that now my 6 year old knows after a 1st, we will hurry to the line and run right up the middle... That's terrible. 

If Gus doesn't make a move at OC, he better hope to God we land JS,  likewise he better hope that he is as good as everyone thinks he will be. 

32 minutes ago, ellitor said:

And I doubt Rich cares, since he knows that Kendall was not the cause of a very screwed up system at Baylor, so he's no compliance risk here.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

And I doubt Rich cares, since he knows that Kendall was not the cause of a very screwed up system at Baylor, so he's no compliance risk here.

Rich will surprise sometimes on what he thinks are risks or just plain poor taste.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I was thinking a little higher up the food chain and not necessarily in the athletic department, but point taken.

13 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

So we want to hire a guy who's only been working as an OC for two years... exclusively under his Pops... but want to get rid of Rhett imagegif

It's called bringing in fresh ideas.  That's how any organization keeps itself from getting stagnant. 

Just now, AuburnArch13 said:

I was thinking a little higher up the food chain and not necessarily in the athletic department, but point taken.

Rich has blocked a number of things at AU since he has been here regardless of what other higher in the food chain thought.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Rich has blocked a number of things at AU since he has been here regardless of what other higher in the food chain thought.

I was suggesting that those higher up in the food chain would be agreeing with his hypothetical veto in this case. Also that they may veto even if he does not.  

9 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

So we want to hire a guy who's only been working as an OC for two years... exclusively under his Pops... but want to get rid of Rhett

Chizik hired Gus after 3 years as an OC.

Gus hired Rhett after 1 year as an OC in the Southern Conference.

Obviously, I need to post more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AuburnArch13 said:

I was suggesting that those higher up in the food chain would be agreeing with his hypothetical veto in this case. Also that they may veto even if he does not.  

I know what you suggested and I'm saying they for the most part would like Gus to get KB.

4 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Chizik hired Gus after 3 years as an OC.

Gus hired Rhett after 1 year as an OC in the Southern Conference.

Obviously, I need to post more.

Let's try not to incite an argument.

14 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Nick's interceptions dropped,  but again extreme lack of passing especially in 2013. He even appeared to regress in 2014.

Marshall's passing progressed from 2013 to 2014.

2013: 143.17 efficiency, 59.4% completion percentage, 14 TDs

2014: 151.09 efficiency, 60.8% completion percentage, 20 TDs