***2017 4* JUCO QB Jarrett Stidham Signs with AU!!! (12/14/16)

Elephant Tipper

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Rich has blocked a number of things at AU since he has been here regardless of what other higher in the food chain thought.

Based on my conversations with him, he's very much a combination of a letter of the law man and a what the staff wants man.  He tends to lean letter of the law, but he will also make recruiting determination based on not wasting the staff's time. I don't know that he'd enjoy the extra scrutiny that adding a Briles to the staff would include, but if the NCAA signs off on him, then it wouldn't be the kind of scrutiny that he feels is an issue.

22 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

It's called bringing in fresh ideas.  That's how any organization keeps itself from getting stagnant. 

Fresh ideas that we have no idea whether he actually has because he's worked under his Dad for two years. But alrighty. 

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Based on my conversations with him, he's very much a combination of a letter of the law man and a what the staff wants man.  He tends to lean letter of the law, but he will also make recruiting determination based on not wasting the staff's time. I don't know that he'd enjoy the extra scrutiny that adding a Briles to the staff would include, but if the NCAA signs off on him, then it wouldn't be the kind of scrutiny that he feels is an issue.

Bruce Pearl would not agree.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AuburnArch13 said:

There have been numerous national articles slamming Baylor and the Briles family at large for how they've handled things this year, especially following the #CAB nonsense they pulled. Sexual assault on college campuses generates a lot of media attention these days for better or for worse. If we hire either Briles, any alleged sexual misconduct by one of our players becomes part of an already existing narrative in a way that it otherwise wouldn't. I'm not sure that that's something the university wants to take on. 

I'm also not sure that the University would want to send any message no matter how tacit to its female students or fan that it condones any of what went on at Baylor.

big difference in national perception b/w Kendall and Art.

19 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Chizik hired Gus after 3 years as an OC.

Gus hired Rhett after 1 year as an OC in the Southern Conference.

Obviously, I need to post more.

Gus proved at Tulsa and Arky that he could be successful as an OC. Gus was familiar with Rhett as he has been with Gus his whole coaching career with the exception of his one year with Samford. Neither of your examples are similar to Kendall as my argument was that we don't know whether it's Kendall or his dad that is running the offense. 

11 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Fine. Where was this statement several pages back?

I have not seen an issue today that needed that said. I missed the fiasco yesterday. When I got online it was already out of hand so I locked the thread. I am taking early prevention to not have to do that again.

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Gus proved at Tulsa and Arky that he could be successful as an OC. Gus was familiar with Rhett as he has been with Gus his whole coaching career with the exception of his one year with Samford. Neither of your examples are similar to Kendall as my argument was that we don't know whether it's Kendall or his dad that is running the offense. 

Didn't Kendall coach offense at Baylor this year?  His dad wasn't there.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Rich has blocked a number of things at AU since he has been here regardless of what other higher in the food chain thought.

Image result for goldberg spear gif

;)

I'm assuming _aufamily on Instagram is the same as this board?  What was up with the picture of Stidham in an Auburn uniform yesterday?  If that was supposed to be him, seems kind of weird to post a picture of somebody thats not committed, especially since pretty much the entire football team follows _aufamily on IG.

Sorry, a bit off topic from all the Briles chatter.

3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Fresh ideas that we have no idea whether he actually has because he's worked under his Dad for two years. But alrighty. 

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2016/02/auburn_gus_malzahn_meets_with_art_briles.html

You may not have an idea, but I'm betting Gus does.

I know Rich fairly well and he has a lot of "clout" because of his previous and current connections with the NCAA. But I honestly think he can hinder the development of a program when he sees something that may or may not be there. Of course he has been very instrumental in how the NCAA looks at Auburn. The media may not get it but they (NCAA) do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VipersStrike1 said:

So you literally posted an article about Gus meeting with ART Briles... not Kendall... which is who I'm talking about. Am I missing something? 

5 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

I'm assuming _aufamily on Instagram is the same as this board?  What was up with the picture of Stidham in an Auburn uniform yesterday?  If that was supposed to be him, seems kind of weird to post a picture of somebody thats not committed, especially since pretty much the entire football team follows _aufamily on IG.

Sorry, a bit off topic from all the Briles chatter.

The AUFamily account is not affiliated with Auburn University so it can post player edits with pics of recruits in AU uniforms just as recruits and fans do.

1 hour ago, VipersStrike1 said:

HAHA! YOU SEE THIS? THIS IS BLOOD! Great promo from 2/20/1988! Almost got Flair banned on WTBS and Jim Crockett's wrestling license yanked.

Sorry...back on topic..........

What promo was that? I can't see the pic for whatever reason. . 

7 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Didn't Kendall coach offense at Baylor this year?  His dad wasn't there.

Yes he did and they averaged 2 points more than Auburn this year.

28 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Marshall's passing progressed from 2013 to 2014.

2013: 143.17 efficiency, 59.4% completion percentage, 14 TDs

2014: 151.09 efficiency, 60.8% completion percentage, 20 TDs

Key word *appeared*

9 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Image result for goldberg spear gif

;)

Damn! LMAO! I should have posted that in reply to gctiger asking if Saban may hire K. Briles and thus get Stidham.

20 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Of course we know he has them.  He's OCing a system that is different than ours.  

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Of course we know he has them.  He's OCing a system that is different than ours.  

Alright Lion

7 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Yes he did and they averaged 2 points more than Auburn this year.

Averaging two points more in the score-happy Big 12 should work out to say, 15 points less in the SEC.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I know what you suggested and I'm saying they for the most part would like Gus to get KB.

I highly doubt someone like Kelley Taylor or Jay Gouge would care enough about who our OC is for them to like for Gus to hire anyone. But I'd think that they might care enough about who our OC isn't for them to nix someone. 

33 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Of course Gus was familiar with Rhett for several years, but he had never given the play-calling responsibilities to him until 2015.

My point is Chizik got Gus from Tulsa on the strength of his #1 ranked offense, a program that can easily run up scores on the AAC. Chizik took a big chance on him in "some" people's eyes. We were laughed at and criticized for hiring a "high school coach" by everyone...even our own fans.

It (the risk) wouldn't be much different this time with Kendal, esp if he was brought in as a QB Coach because Rhett appears cemented as OC for 2017. Worst case in that scenario is Rhett leaves in 2018 and Kendal is promoted to OC. Kendal will have learned from his dad, Gus and Rhett.

Young guys have to start somewhere and learn from someone(s).

Edited by VipersStrike1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

So you literally posted an article about Gus meeting with ART Briles... not Kendall... which is who I'm talking about. Am I missing something? 

So zero chance Gus met Kendal nor Art talked about Kendal. All Gus came back with was Art info only. Nothing else?