***2017 4* JUCO QB Jarrett Stidham Signs with AU!!! (12/14/16)

Elephant Tipper

3 minutes ago, AuburnArch13 said:

I highly doubt someone like Kelley Taylor or Jay Gouge would care enough about who our OC is for them to like for Gus to hire anyone. But I'd think that they might care enough about who our OC isn't for them to nix someone. 

Lol. I thought you meant big money boosters and BOT guys. My bad.

So best case scenario would be enrolling Stidham,  hiring young Briles as qb coach, retaining Lashlee as OC for a year, having something on the order of an 11+ win season next year, Lashlee hired at a different school after next year's bowl game, and Briles sliding over to the OC/qb coach spot.

Let it be written, let it be done.

Edited by SumterAubie
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

So best case scenario would be enrolling Stidham,  hiring young Briles as qb coach, retaining Lashlee as OC for a year, having something on the order of an 11+ win season next year, Lashlee hired at a different school after next year's bowl game, and Briles sliding over to the OC/qb coach spot.

Let it be written, let it be done.

Best case would be Stidham sign with AU on Monday before KB gets hired should that not be AU.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Of course Gus was familiar with Rhett for several years, but he had never given the play-calling responsibilities to him until 2015.

My point is Chizik got Gus from Tulsa on the strength of his #1 ranked offense, a program that can easily run up scores on the AAC. Chizik took a big chance on him on in "some" people's eyes. We were laughed at and criticized for hiring a "high school coach" by everyone...even our own fans.

It (the risk) wouldn't be much different this time with Kendal, esp if he was brought in as a QB Coach because Rhett appears cemented as OC for 2017. Worst case in that scenario is Rhett leaves in 2018 and Kendal is promoted to OC. Kendal will have learned from his dad, Gus and Rhett.

Young guys have to start somewhere and learn from someone(s).

I don't know that learning from Gus and Rhett is much of a selling point IMO 

9 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Of course Gus was familiar with Rhett for several years, but he had never given the play-calling responsibilities to him until 2015.

My point is Chizik got Gus from Tulsa on the strength of his #1 ranked offense, a program that can easily run up scores on the AAC. Chizik took a big chance on him on in "some" people's eyes. We were laughed at and criticized for hiring a "high school coach" by everyone...even our own fans.

It (the risk) wouldn't be much different this time with Kendal, esp if he was brought in as a QB Coach because Rhett appears cemented as OC for 2017. Worst case in that scenario is Rhett leaves in 2018 and Kendal is promoted to OC. Kendal will have learned from his dad, Gus and Rhett.

Young guys have to start somewhere and learn from someone(s).

Appreciate the level headed post and I agree with you. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

If JS believes what he says then learning from Rhett appears to be a strong selling point.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Lol. I thought you meant big money boosters and BOT guys. My bad.

Kelley Taylor is a pawn.....nee........ :wavey:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Never said they were a selling point to Kendal. In fact, the biggest selling point for Kendal to AU in any capacity is because of Art's relationship with Gus.

Just now, VipersStrike1 said:

No appear to it. Neither did he regress. He progressed.

To each his own I suppose. To me,  it appeared he was forcing passes too much in 2015. To me it appeared  they (Gus, Lashlee, and Marshall) were trying to force Marshall to be more of a passer.

This is why I didn't say he regressed. I said he appeared to regress. I knew his stats improved,  but it looked forced to me. Look, I'm not taking anything away from Marshall. He was phenomenal. 

I just hope we aren't putting all of our eggs in one basket and making coaching decisions based on the preferences of a kid who may or may not sign. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Appreciate the level headed post and I agree with you. 

NP. The majority of my posts are level-headed. I call all facets of AU football how I see em, good, bad or ugly, regardless if the board agrees with em or not.

IF we land Stidham, "most" here will do back flips. "Some" will continue to toot White's horn.

IF we don't land Stidham, "most" will continue to toot White's horn.

That's just how it is.

21 minutes ago, ellitor said:
23 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

If JS believes what he says then learning from Rhett appears to be a strong selling point.

Heck... I'll take that to the next level and say if you believe with Stidham AND Gatewood say.  So, either these players don't know what they are talking about or a bunch of board posters are wrong and Rhett is actually a pretty good QB coach.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

To each his own I suppose. To me,  it appeared he was forcing passes too much in 2014. To me it appeared  they (Gus, Lashlee, and Marshall) were trying to force Marshall to be more of a passer.

This is why I didn't say he regressed. I said he appeared to regress. I knew his stats improved,  but it looked forced to me. Look, I'm not taking anything away from Marshall. He was phenomenal.

Cool. And you're entitled to your opinion that he appeared to regress.

My opinion is that he progressed. Part of that was due to the addition of Duke Williams making sick catches. Part of it was due to defenses scheming on the ZR. Part of it was due to the losses of Robinson, Kozan, Mason and Prosch and that unstoppable running game. I watched Marshall become more accurate and deliberate with his passes in 2014. I'm sure part of it was scheme from the coaches, putting Williams in the slot, and making quick, deliberate slant passes a strength that season. Many of those slants were knocked down by defensive linemen, which kept his stats from being even higher.

It just so happened Marshall had the arm strength to make those passes, thus ALL of his passing stats improved (minus one more INT). Regardless if it was coaching scheme, taking advantage of Duke Williams underneath and Sammie Coates deep, taking what the defense was giving them or Marshall's arm strength or a combination of them all, Marshall progressed in the passing game in 2014.

29 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I just hope we aren't putting all of our eggs in one basket and making coaching decisions based on the preferences of a kid who may or may not sign. 

I highly doubt we are. If we can bring Kendal aboard, great. If not, I still think we sign Stidham.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

The AUFamily account is not affiliated with Auburn University so it can post player edits with pics of recruits in AU uniforms just as recruits and fans do.

These player edits pretty much happen for all recruits these days. The recruits seem to like it and the fans do too. Nothing at all wrong with it.

24 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

NP. The majority of my posts are level-headed. I call all facets of AU football how I see em, good, bad or ugly, regardless if the board agrees with em or not.

IF we land Stidham, "most" here will do back flips. "Some" will continue to toot White's horn.

IF we don't land Stidham, "most" will continue to toot White's horn.

That's just how it is.

I agree that if we land Stidham there will be a few that will still be in Whites corner. I will say that if we don't land Stidham - it will be a huge loss and I think most Au fans will be extremely disappointed. At this point we are the favorite and I think it is mostly out of circumstance - TAM out, FL too late, etc. I wish he would just go ahead and commit. 

And from what I understand - we wanted to bring in KB some time ago and it was shot down. Maybe that would change if the NCAA would would clear him publicly. maybe not. Of course Stidham would be already on board if that happened. 

I think as others have said it may also depend on where KB will land. 

4 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I agree that if we land Stidham there will be a few that will still be in Whites corner. I will say that if we don't land Stidham - it will be a huge loss and I think most Au fans will be extremely disappointed. At this point we are the favorite and I think it is mostly out of circumstance - TAM out, FL too late, etc. I wish he would just go ahead and commit. 

And from what I understand - we wanted to bring in KB some time ago and it was shot down. Maybe that would change if the NCAA would would clear him publicly. maybe not. Of course Stidham would be already on board if that happened. 

I think as others have said it may also depend on where KB will land. 

If we get Stidham, then I think White will make a great back-up...and Viper knows my feelings on White.

16 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I will say that if we don't land Stidham - it will be a huge loss and I think most Au fans will be extremely disappointed.

For me, it would be the biggest punch in the gut in recruiting ever. To have A&M THIS far in the rearview mirror at this stage was unfathomable one month ago.

He is 100% essential at making a legit SEC Championship run next season. Without him, IMO, our chances drop below 50%. It is that drastic.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

If we get Stidham, then I think White will make a great back-up...and Viper knows my feelings on White.

Not only will he be a great back-up, but he'll be better than he was this year because he'll finally have a real hill to climb to try to be #1. One of the great advantages to landing solid talent is that it tends to make all of the others on the roster step up their game.... especially those with a known competitive streak like Sean,

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Heck... I'll take that to the next level and say if you believe with Stidham AND Gatewood say.  So, either these players don't know what they are talking about or a bunch of board posters are wrong and Rhett is actually a pretty good QB coach.

I hope JS and JG are right. I wasn't referring to his qb coaching as much as I was the offensive product lately. According to this board last year, we sucked because Rhett was calling the plays and Gus needed to take over. Now this year Gus is basically an idiot and Rhett was given the keys, and the only reason our offense doesn't hum is because Gus meddles. I don't know who deserves the blame anymore for some of the stuff we're treated to, but I don't know that I want any possible coach learning from the guy that thinks 3 Cox-cats in one game is a good idea. That was mainly my facetious point.

1 minute ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I hope JS and JG are right. I wasn't referring to his qb coaching as much as I was the offensive product lately. According to this board last year, we sucked because Rhett was calling the plays and Gus needed to take over. Now this year Gus is basically an idiot and Rhett was given the keys, and the only reason our offense doesn't hum is because Gus meddles. I don't know who deserves the blame anymore for some of the stuff we're treated to, but I don't know that I want any possible coach learning from the guy that thinks 3 Cox-cats in one game is a good idea. That was mainly my facetious point.

I think the blame is based on where you are in the season.  The blame at the beginning of the year is squarely on Gus.  He was too focused on getting John ready and didn't have the team or a game plan ready. Whether there were outside influences or anything like that involved, who knows, but the cause and result are obvious. If he would have just named Sean the starter a few days into the Fall, and started developing a game plan based on that, learning what all of his weapons can do in the process, we could have been undefeated early on. 

At the end of the year, I can't say I honestly blame anyone... that was all just desperation to try to get ANYTHING to work when we were playing with 1/3rd of a deck.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Not only will he be a great back-up, but he'll be better than he was this year because he'll finally have a real hill to climb to try to be #1. One of the great advantages to landing solid talent is that it tends to make all of the others on the roster step up their game.... especially those with a known competitive streak like Sean,

Like most I think Stidham will beat out SW even though I am an SW fan. He is bigger faster and has shown he can pass at the collegiate level. But like you I know SW is a competitor and he will push Stidham and (might) even beat him out. Either way we will be better.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Like most I think Stidham will beat out SW even though I am an SW fan. He is bigger faster and has shown he can pass at the collegiate level. But like you I know SW is a competitor and he will push Stidham and (might) even beat him out. Either way we will be better.

If Stidham signs with AU he will be the starter day one. 

• Like 9

I have not been able to read everything since the lock down has been removed on here, but I saw this from a few hours ago.  

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tamu-football/texas-am-reportedly-not-in-mix-for-jarrett-stidham/

Edited by Yates1876