Report: Signee Kalvaraz Bessent Arrested

RunInRed

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How could you ever trust this kid?I am sure the coaches told him how much we needed him,yet he still went out and got himself involved in selling drugs only two or three days after signing day. Better to go ahead and cut the cord now

What have you been smoking?

Most of your comments on this thread are just complete nonsense. Life is all about being given second chances....Cam got one, Nick got one, Dyer got two or three, Dismukes got one, Eric Smith got about 5 or 6. Why make your "no marijuana" stance on Bessent? Where were you calling for the others to be kicked off the team? I don't know you but you sound very hypocritical and self righteous.

By the way, I hold AU players to a higher standard than regular University students but I also believe in giving kids a second chance if they make a bad life decision. He wasn't driving "high" or even smoking pot in the car (as far as we know) so I fail to see the seriousness of the crime. If he was putting others at risk, it would be a different story but from the details that have been released that isn't the case.

So, I'll say what others have been saying. GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry to say but if any of you believe he was in a car and did not know there was pot in there I don't know what to tell you.....I do have some land on the moon that I'm selling really cheap if you're interested.

It MAY not have been his, he may not have smoked it at all, but it is his JUDGEMENT that he went off with people in a car where there was drugs. Its a maturity issue and IMO shows a lack of good decision making. This is a nearly 20 year old kid and I think he has two kids of his own.....come on. THREE DAYS AFTER SIGNING DAY. I feel pretty certain all these recruits get a speech from Gus when they sign......"You are an AU man now, you do what you need to do in school and keep your nose clean because once you signed that letter you represent Auburn, and we won't tolerate players who tarnish that". That includes making wise decisions about the company you keep.

How will Gus handle this, IDK. I think he will take a wait and see approach to let the facts come out and make a decision then, but honestly in the end I think he cuts him loose. Gus just doesn't seem to play with this stuff and after seeing the problems that arose under Chizik I'm sure he has a good reason why. Sometimes letting a good player go is the BEST thing to do for the entire team.....look at Michael Dyer. I guess Gus will do what he feels is the best thing to do for both AU and for this young man. Gus has shown all of us that he knows better than we do and he will do what is the best thing for AU and for the team, period.

This, 100%. It has nothing to do with high horses or illegal vs should be legal. It's all about putting yourself in situations that set you up for failure, and that includes associating with people who make bad choices.

I did drug interdiction for 5 years. Believe me, if there is 202 grams of marijuana in a car, you can smell it no matter how it is packaged or sealed. If you didn't know what the smell was, believe me, you'd ask what it was that smelled so bad.

That being said, we have to wait for the process to play out a little further before we can cast aspersions onto anything except for poor decision-making skills (which, for the record, are not illegal yet). I hope information comes out that he just got in the car 30 seconds before that and he'd never met the people before.

So, tl;dr: wait and see from our moral high ground? :gofig:/>

To say that anyone in a car with 8 ounces of pot in it will know by the smell or he "just had to know" (seriously?) is very possibly inaccurate for more reasons than I care to mention here.

My gut tells me best case scenario he knew he was riding with some smokers, but the jury is still out on all this, and we don't even know if that is true.

I'm not speaking offhand. I searched for drugs for a living for 5 years with a drug dog. I've been in a lot of cars with weed in them.

That much pot will have an odor, and even if you can't identify that odor, you will notice it. That's not opinion, that's biology and chemistry.

are you saying you can smell weed in a bag?

The question is, what are the team rules about this situation? Do any of you know for certain? If he broke team rules, he should be dealt with accordingly. If he didn't, then he should stay. Captain Obvious has spoken! ;D

Yes.....he definitely broke team rules by being in a car with pot. But, officially, he's not yet enrolled or on the team. :-\

I'm sorry to say but if any of you believe he was in a car and did not know there was pot in there I don't know what to tell you.....I do have some land on the moon that I'm selling really cheap if you're interested.

It MAY not have been his, he may not have smoked it at all, but it is his JUDGEMENT that he went off with people in a car where there was drugs. Its a maturity issue and IMO shows a lack of good decision making. This is a nearly 20 year old kid and I think he has two kids of his own.....come on. THREE DAYS AFTER SIGNING DAY. I feel pretty certain all these recruits get a speech from Gus when they sign......"You are an AU man now, you do what you need to do in school and keep your nose clean because once you signed that letter you represent Auburn, and we won't tolerate players who tarnish that". That includes making wise decisions about the company you keep.

How will Gus handle this, IDK. I think he will take a wait and see approach to let the facts come out and make a decision then, but honestly in the end I think he cuts him loose. Gus just doesn't seem to play with this stuff and after seeing the problems that arose under Chizik I'm sure he has a good reason why. Sometimes letting a good player go is the BEST thing to do for the entire team.....look at Michael Dyer. I guess Gus will do what he feels is the best thing to do for both AU and for this young man. Gus has shown all of us that he knows better than we do and he will do what is the best thing for AU and for the team, period.

This, 100%. It has nothing to do with high horses or illegal vs should be legal. It's all about putting yourself in situations that set you up for failure, and that includes associating with people who make bad choices.

I did drug interdiction for 5 years. Believe me, if there is 202 grams of marijuana in a car, you can smell it no matter how it is packaged or sealed. If you didn't know what the smell was, believe me, you'd ask what it was that smelled so bad.

That being said, we have to wait for the process to play out a little further before we can cast aspersions onto anything except for poor decision-making skills (which, for the record, are not illegal yet). I hope information comes out that he just got in the car 30 seconds before that and he'd never met the people before.

To say that anyone in a car with 8 ounces of pot in it will know by the smell or he "just had to know" (seriously?) is very possibly inaccurate for more reasons than I care to mention here.

My gut tells me best case scenario he knew he was riding with some smokers, but the jury is still out on all this, and we don't even know if that is true.

I'm not speaking offhand. I searched for drugs for a living for 5 years with a drug dog. I've been in a lot of cars with weed in them.

That much pot will have an odor, and even if you can't identify that odor, you will notice it. That's not opinion, that's biology and chemistry.

Of course it will have an odor. That's where the concealment part comes in. Using your logic it would be impossible for someone to hide the odor of marijuana. That's not even considering masking smells like cologne, cigars, cigarettes, fresheners, etc.

For all I know he could have known something was up. However, to say he had to know because he would have undeniably smelled the pot because 8 ounces were involved is ridiculous. It's safe to say that many people have been in a car containing that much weed and never known it.

Does anyone know for sure if Kalvaraz was selling drugs?

:dead:

According to Oxford Tiger, he was selling drugs to elementary school kids and providing hookers.....

I'll answer this one too. Yes, it is possible. Some weed is so strong in odor that you can put it in multiple ziploc baggies and still smell it. That doesn't mean the odor can't be concealed from a passenger in some cases.

Of course it will have an odor. That's where the concealment part comes in. Using your logic it would be impossible for someone to hide the odor of marijuana. That's not even considering masking smells like cologne, cigars, cigarettes, fresheners, etc.

For all I know he could have known something was up. However, to say he had to know because he would have undeniably smelled the pot because 8 ounces were involved is ridiculous. It's safe to say that many people have been in a car containing that much weed and never known it.

I rarely look under the seats in my car and would have no idea what's under them. Have they said who's car it was? Using your logic, KB gets in the passenger seat of someone else's car and should look under the seat before proceeding to sit down. If evidence comes out that KB was selling the drugs or if he was driving under the influence (which we all know he wasn't) then kick him off the team. Otherwise, Gus will handle all punishment internally.

I think I'll go check under my seats now.

I think I'm most upset that they were stupid enough to speed with that in the car. Actually that someone smoked before making the run as well. Smh

I rarely look under the seats in my car and would have no idea what's under them. Have they said who's car it was? Using your logic, KB gets in the passenger seat of someone else's car and should look under the seat before proceeding to sit down. If evidence comes out that KB was selling the drugs or if he was driving under the influence (which we all know he wasn't) then kick him off the team. Otherwise, Gus will handle all punishment internally.

I think I'll go check under my seats now.

I'm not sure who you're responding to with all of this. All I'm saying is that unless we get more information on what happened, we shouldn't assume Calvarez knew the pot was in the car. It is possible to conceal that much pot in a car and a passenger not know. It's happened before and will again.

But not 8 ounces separated into 4 bags for distribution and placed under the seats. You can jabber all you want, I'm giving you a professional opinion based on experience in drug interdiction. If you want to believe otherwise, then that's just on you. It's half a pound of marijuana. Unless packaged specifically for concealment and transport, then the odor will be there. Your "concealment" logic works the other way too...if those things could completely negate an odor, how do drug dogs work?

I wasn't there, I do not have all the facts, and am certainly not saying he is at fault for anything. I am just bringing some professional knowledge about these things to the table. Take it or leave it, doesn't matter to me.

Uniquivocally, yes.

Go put some cookies in a plastic bag, leave it there for an hour, and then sniff the bag. You will smell the cookies. Bags are not airtight, and the odor will transmit through even the plastic.

The cop was able to search the car because he smelling weed smoke, so the claims that Bessent didn't know there was weed under the seat are bogus. And honestly, if this were any other team's signee I think most of us would be calling BS at that excuse.

As Chizik said after the armed robbery idiots, you are innocent until proven guilty in the courts, but playing for Auburn is a priviledge not a right. If this were simple possession and if he was already on campus then I would understand just punishment. However, IMO because this kid did this just days after he signed, I would kick him to the curb. Auburn is better than this.

So you're saying because it smelled like weed, KB definitely knew what was under his seat? Makes perfect sense. :-\

No. I'm saying because the cop smelled weed, Bessent doesn't get the benefit of the doubt on not knowing there was weed in the car. It's not that hard to understand.

But not 8 ounces separated into 4 bags for distribution and placed under the seats. You can jabber all you want, I'm giving you a professional opinion based on experience in drug interdiction. If you want to believe otherwise, then that's just on you. It's half a pound of marijuana. Unless packaged specifically for concealment and transport, then the odor will be there. Your "concealment" logic works the other way too...if those things could completely negate an odor, how do drug dogs work?

I wasn't there, I do not have all the facts, and am certainly not saying he is at fault for anything. I am just bringing some professional knowledge about these things to the table. Take it or leave it, doesn't matter to me.

Yeah, only we're not talking about a drug dog, we're talking about a human passenger. (Are you saying a drug dog never misses?)

You admit you weren't there and have no first hand knowledge yet are 100% positive you know he had to have smelled something. That's priceless. You are trying to use your "credentials" to make a preposterous assumption.

He may have been smoking one when the lights went on for all I know. He could also have never been aware anything was up.

Yeah, only we're not talking about a drug dog, we're talking about a human passenger. (Are you saying a drug dog never misses?)

You admit you weren't there and have no first hand knowledge yet are 100% positive you know he had to have smelled something. That's priceless. You are trying to use your "credentials" to make a preposterous assumption.

He may have been smoking one when the lights went on for all I know. He could also have never been aware anything was up.

There was no mention of cigarette butts found or smoking in the car.

The police report said the cop smelled that some had been smoked. That gave him probable cause to search the car.

I wasn't talking about cigarettes and I don't think what I mentioned happened I was just giving two extreme examples to point out that we don't have enough info to know what happened for certain.

Either way....it's still a hot mess for an athlete. Let's just hope this kid comes out on the other side of it a lot smarter and with his future as an Auburn Tiger not in jeopardy. He is very young and there's always hope for redemption.

Either way....it's still a hot mess for an athlete. Let's just hope this kid comes out on the other side of it a lot smarter and with his future as an Auburn Tiger not in jeopardy. He is very young and there's always hope for redemption.

Amen. The only way he could possibly continue on at AU is if he walks a tight line from here on out, assuming the incident doesn't result in him leaving before he gets here.

Archived