Report: Signee Kalvaraz Bessent Arrested

RunInRed

So, let's flip this a bit.....

If this was a boy on a full academic scholarship at AU, would it be your opinion that AU should pull their scholarship offer?

I had a friend my first year at AU that was coming in as a freshman and had a full ride academic scholarship, was arrested in June with a rather good sized bag of pot in his car in his hometown....and he lost his academic scholarship with a quickness. Extremely gifted kid, a 4.0 honors grad.

Ownership was acknowledged by your friend is what I'm understanding your post to say. KB has not acknowledged ownership. Even if it is KB's, then the amount your friend had seems comparatively substantial. The reports are conflicting about quantity in KB's situation. 20 grams stated in one post and 200 grams in another. Also depends on how long ago your friend's situation occurred. Seems to be more lenient these days.

Pull the scholarship ? In your friend's situation as described, yes. In KB's ? Few facts are known. Wait.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this kid is not inherently bad, and just made a poor decision by getting into that car, then coming to Auburn would be of great benefit to him....a change of scenery, a much better environment, and a chance to grow up and find his way to a better life. I am not against that at all. He's young and he obviously needs some guidance. But this would need to be it. No more stupid choices that result in another arrest.

I don't disagree with this at all. This coaching staff has the capability to mold these young boys into men and I am all for second chances. Again....I also know because he has shown us as much that Malzahn will make the BEST decision...not only for KB but for this team as well. He saw first hand what happens to a locker room when you let certain behaviors "slide". He'll get all the facts, probably have a very LONG discussion with the other coaches and KB and make a decision based off that.

Here's the thing about teenagers (cause I am right in the middle of raising one)......its NEVER their fault, its always someone else's fault. Its just their inherant nature to lay blame to others for their mistakes. I think if you see KB own up to CGM that he made a very BAD choice, you may see Gus have more leniency with him. That is what we have taught our son....you will get MUCH further with us by admitting your wrongs and then showing growth from it. That's how boys become MEN. Because teens ARE going to make bad choices, its just how they are wired.....its what they DO in response that matters.

Because he was ARRESTED and charged with a felony, that's why. Academics or not, these university still have charachter standards. I know two of the scholarships he got he had to go thru an interview process for.

Why would a university like Auburn award that much money to someone that they knew was a known drug user and was ARRESTED for as much, when there are hundreds of kids lined up behind him just as smart and just as deserving keeping their nose clean.

And his parents refused to pay for AU for him, he ended up going to Jefferson State for a while and then I don't know what happened to him....but he let drugs and poor decision making RUIN a very, very big opportunity. He was going to major in Pharamacy. It was very sad. But he did it to himself, no one else to blame.

Again, whether gifted athletically or academically, there should be (and there are) standards these universities should hold to, but it seems many times the athletes are held to a much lower standard for the sake of football and $$$$ than their academic peers who are JUST AS IMPORTANT to a university IMO.

That's true. I agree, as a Mom with 3 hard working kids on academic scholarships.

If a kid at another school was arrested with massive amounts of weed and a gun under his seat and the scent of burnt marijuana inside the car, how many posters here would honestly believe the kid had no idea what was happening?

Most of us would be jumping to all kinds of conclusions, which points out a double standard on this board, but doesn't change the fact that we don't know all the facts at this point and the wise position to take is, "wait and see."

So, let's flip this a bit.....

If this was a boy on a full academic scholarship at AU, would it be your opinion that AU should pull their scholarship offer?

I had a friend my first year at AU that was coming in as a freshman and had a full ride academic scholarship, was arrested in June with a rather good sized bag of pot in his car in his hometown....and he lost his academic scholarship with a quickness. Extremely gifted kid, a 4.0 honors grad.

That should not have effected his academic scholarship.

I hate the double standards we have in society. We love the genius of someone like the Beatles and hail them for all they gave the world of music in the 60's but never accept that those guys were smoking pot (and other drugs) during their most successful years. The kid is obviously smart with a 4.0 and other academic achievements. Why not let him go about his life as he wants as long as he upholds the academic standards that are expected?

Because those are the rules?

I will never understand the logic of "I think it should be legal therefore I don't have to follow the law." That's not a principled stand, it's just being a criminal by definition. Is it right? No, probably not, and I foresee in the next 10 years that it will be legalized, and I have only small issues with that. The problem with the logic is that if it is applied broadly it leads to nobody following any law. Not saying you are advocating that, just that it's one logical end to that process.

The more curious logic to me, though, is the one about the Beatles. Am I reading it right that you are attributing their genius entirely to the drugs the did? I'm not saying you're wrong (Yellow Submarine says hello), but that's a strong causal inference to make.

I am going to quote someone else from this thread on your legal questions because I thought he discussed it so eloquently it deserves to be said again.

The only argument to support a claim that pot is bad is that it is illegal (most places) -- but so were a lot of things before the stupids were kicked back under their rock. Interracial marriage, believing in certain religions in the wrong time and place, believing the earth was round, wearing clothes of two different fabrics, and women coming outside during their period were at one time capital offenses that any idiot can see were not just laws; the law doesn't justify itself.

Those laws were put on the books by people who wanted to use pot as a political cudgel; a means to criminalize behavior, not because it was harmful, but because that behavior was linked to groups who held an ideology that was counter to the PTB.

It is in fact anti-american to believe their should be laws for any other reason than to protect one person's rights from their violation by another person. All laws based on tastes and preferences are unjust and should be ignored or violated as a matter of conscience.

As for my Beatles reference, I do not attribute their genius as musicians to their drug use. However, you can not separate the two. They accomplished incredible things as musicians while using drugs (not because) and positively influenced many generations of musicians. I could have picked another example than the Beatles. There are plenty of successful people in the world that smoke pot, unfortunately most of them do it in secret.

To revoke someones academic scholarship just because of pot could be actually hurting the University. What if that kid is a genius that contributes greatly to society while continuing to smoke pot? If that happens AU has cost themselves because I doubt the kid will do that at AU now.

If a kid at another school was arrested with massive amounts of weed and a gun under his seat and the scent of burnt marijuana inside the car, how many posters here would honestly believe the kid had no idea what was happening?

Most of us would be jumping to all kinds of conclusions, which points out a double standard on this board, but doesn't change the fact that we don't know all the facts at this point and the wise position to take is, "wait and see."

A wise reading of the situation, TT.

To revoke someones academic scholarship just because of pot could be actually hurting the University. What if that kid is a genius that contributes greatly to society while continuing to smoke pot? If that happens AU has cost themselves because I doubt the kid will do that at AU now.

He would be a dumb genius who would only become dumber. Pot doesn't make a person smart(er).

This kid needs a mentor quick. Pot and a handgun? He needs some new friends at the very least, this path is old and cliché.

Every year we lose some of the better recruits for various reasons and when looking through the commit list I said who is least likely to make it on the team. And just by chance he was one of the ones I picked to not make it smh. Hopefully the dude is not guilty for his sake and the teams. If he is, it's another high recruit that didn't make it smh.

He would be a dumb genius who would only become dumber. Pot doesn't make a person smart(er).

True, pot does not make a person smarter. However, it can help the creative thought process and sometimes allow a train of thought that someone might not have looked at otherwise.

I am not advocating everyone be stoners. I am just saying that you should not assume failure because of pot.

We all know the answer to that question.

The best thing for KB is to sing like a bird and hang it all on the driver in return for some misdemeanor charge.

Actually, if I were one of the guys in the car, I would sing for KBs sake, with a hopeful understanding that when he makes it big and goes to the NFL I'd get some compensation.

Hopefully the facts will play out. Then, and only then, can there be judgement. Is it a case of wrong place, wrong time? Maybe, but it does speak to the crowd the kid is hanging with. He could use a change of scenery one way or the other.

Why don't we hold the trial here? I can sew the costumes and Bird's uncle Goober can be the judge. And, look at all the expert witnesses we already have lined up and prepared to testify. The only thing more abundant than the legal expertise at our disposal, is our social and moral hypocrisy.

Why don't we hold the trial here? I can sew the costumes and Bird's uncle Goober can be the judge. And, look at all the expert witnesses we already have lined up and prepared to testify. The only thing more abundant than the legal expertise at our disposal, is our social and moral hypocrisy.

I suspect Gus will be the final arbiter of the kid's immediate future at Auburn. I'll defer any judgement that i might have to him. It is, after all, his team.

True, pot does not make a person smarter. However, it can help the creative thought process and sometimes allow a train of thought that someone might not have looked at otherwise.

I am not advocating everyone be stoners. I am just saying that you should not assume failure because of pot.

Pot doesn't improve the creative process either. Pot makes a person less inhibited in what they express, not inducing their creativity.

All the people I knew in prep school who toked but stopped when they entered their professional careers have done well, because they were smart already. The ones who didn't stop are employed only because their fathers own the company. One who stills tokes would still be chasing gig after gig with his mandolin if he didn't have his father's company to lean on. Btw, his "creative" mandolin playing wasn't all that hot either.

the fact that he's not talking isnt exactly a good sign. friends involved or not. he's about to start an important part of his life that will shape his future. at some point you have to decide which direction to go. for some it's in your 20's. this is his point right now.

He's probably not talking because talking before you get a lawyer is stupid.

Thanks for that link!

It was great. I watched the entire thing and learned a lot.

JMO but it's all about picking friends. Seems to me that most young guys who end up in jail do so because they make bad friendships.....and even knowing their friends are trouble they continue to hang with the same guys until they get caught doing something that draws jail time.

Giving KB the benefit of the doubt here on who the junk belonged to, unless this was his first trip to Fla with those guys, he was putting himself at risk and should/could have known better. No matter what the outcome, the big question is: Will he learn anything from this? An amazing number of young men do not learn from their first opportunity to make a change in their lives and friends.

Pot doesn't improve the creative process either.

We will just have to agree to disagree then at this point.

U are the most clueless person I've ever heard of! A couple of yrs ago, 4 bammers went on a stroll and what do u know, they were pulled over by the police. Guess what was in their car, under the PASSENGER'S seat? U guessed it, weed. Now hold on, this May shock u right here, the person that took the blame was not a starter on the team, 2nd, he was an incoming FRESHMAN who was wait for it............ In the passengers seat! Now he took the blame while the other 3 starters for BAMA posed for pictures with officers down at the precinct. Do u think any of those guys were removed from the team? Nope, a little tap on the hand and that was it! As bad as the justice system is, ur still INNOCENT until proven guilty, but not in ur court huh?

.......It MAY not have been his, he may not have smoked it at all, but it is his JUDGEMENT that he went off with people in a car where there was drugs. Its a maturity issue and IMO shows a lack of good decision making.......

That's all true enough, but unfortunately, human males don't typically reach mental maturity until their mid-twenties. So immaturity and lack of judgement at 19 doesn't necessarily indicate hopelessness.

We need to be careful about setting unrealistic expectations of maturity for these kids. In part, that is what the next four years should be about.

Maybe you are right and his judgement and character are set. But let's at least see what the facts are before we decide to write him off.

.......It MAY not have been his, he may not have smoked it at all, but it is his JUDGEMENT that he went off with people in a car where there was drugs. Its a maturity issue and IMO shows a lack of good decision making.......

That's all true enough, but unfortunately, human males don't typically reach mental maturity until their mid-twenties. So immaturity and lack of judgement at 19 doesn't necessarily indicate hopelessness.

We need to be careful about setting unrealistic expectations of maturity for these kids. In part, that is what the next four years should be about.

Maybe you are right and his judgement and character are set. But let's at least see what the facts are before we decide to write him off.

I don't think its an unrealistic expectation to tell a kid to not hang out with friends that are driving around with a gun and weed in a car.

Did someone suggest that? If so, I missed it.

Archived