2015 4* RB Kerryon Johnson commits to AU!

tombigbeetiger

I live in Madison too and have several friends who go to MA and who play with him. Have gone to a lot of their games as well. They all say 100% AU and most are big Bama fans who have just given up hope to ever get him.

MA recruit athletes, that's one reason why there is so much talent. I really don't see the problem with this but you hear a lot of criticism about it. Who cares if they offer scholarships based on athletics? They are a private school....they can do that. Plus those kids are getting a TOP education as MA is a tough school.

they are being penalized for the fact that they are a private school.......I agree that they should take advantage of that fact.

The reason for the criticism is bc of the public schools inability to recruit due to the rules from the AHSAA causing a very unlevel playing field. But the wonderful AHSAA allows private schools to play in the public school league even though it has a private school league. Other states allow private schools to play in the public school leagues but restrict them in the playoffs to a certain degree. California being an example. Look at the playoff brackets in major sports in 1A-5A in the recent years and you will see them littered with private schools. Not exactly a level playing field. Not saying they should not take advantage, just saying that's where the criticism comes from.

Doesn't the AHSAA require private schools to play up two classifications from their attendance numbers, or something like that, to level out the playing field? It seems like I remember that from a few years back when Briarwood was kicking everybody's rear ends in 3A.

I don't think so. I went to a private school, 1A classification, and played all the 1A schools in our area. Every now and then we would schedule 2A teams but not often. If we were forced to play up, just because we were a private school, we would probably get murdered every game! The playing field would not be level at all. My senior class had 31 people for crying out loud. However, our baseball team could kick 6a baseball teams all over the place. Our only main rivals were American Christian out of Tuscaloosa in the 1A classification.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found it. "The AHSAA uses grades 10-12 to configure enrollment and multiplies the number by 1.35 to figure private school participation in public school athletics." It may not move the school up two classifications but it could in some cases. Private schools that participate only in Private School athletics are not affected.

According to the article that I posted, they are not playing up.

I wonder if that number is the adjusted number or the actual enrollment? If it is actual enrollment then the AHSAA is not going by their own rules.

3rd Paragraph.

http://highschoolsports.al.com/news/article/5400683244727820341/ahsaa-reclassification-by-the-numbers-where-your-school-fell-in-terms-of-enrollment-for-2014-16/

Found it. "The AHSAA uses grades 10-12 to configure enrollment and multiplies the number by 1.35 to figure private school participation in public school athletics." It may not move the school up two classifications but it could in some cases. Private schools that participate only in Private School athletics are not affected.

Ahh, even with the multiplier, that still wouldn't help my school out much. We weren't just private school athletics though. It is funny that Madison Academy was the the largest 3A school at 284 and W.S Neal was the smallest 4A school at 285. Madison Academy must have pulled some strings to stay 3A.

I live in Madison too and have several friends who go to MA and who play with him. Have gone to a lot of their games as well. They all say 100% AU and most are big Bama fans who have just given up hope to ever get him.

MA recruit athletes, that's one reason why there is so much talent. I really don't see the problem with this but you hear a lot of criticism about it. Who cares if they offer scholarships based on athletics? They are a private school....they can do that. Plus those kids are getting a TOP education as MA is a tough school.

they are being penalized for the fact that they are a private school.......I agree that they should take advantage of that fact.

The reason for the criticism is bc of the public schools inability to recruit due to the rules from the AHSAA causing a very unlevel playing field. But the wonderful AHSAA allows private schools to play in the public school league even though it has a private school league. Other states allow private schools to play in the public school leagues but restrict them in the playoffs to a certain degree. California being an example. Look at the playoff brackets in major sports in 1A-5A in the recent years and you will see them littered with private schools. Not exactly a level playing field. Not saying they should not take advantage, just saying that's where the criticism comes from.

Doesn't the AHSAA require private schools to play up two classifications from their attendance numbers, or something like that, to level out the playing field? It seems like I remember that from a few years back when Briarwood was kicking everybody's rear ends in 3A.

I played at Briarwood our last 2 yrs in 3A and first in 5A.

The AHSAA made a rule where students at a private school count as 1.34 as opposed to one student. That bumped our number high enough to put us in 5A. We were going to move up to 4A anyways.

Like I said many times before KJ is one of the strongest if not the strongest commitment we have

Also, he is one of our best athletes. So proud to have him on our team!

Like I said many times before KJ is one of the strongest if not the strongest commitment we have

Also, he is one of our best athletes. So proud to have him on our team!

Talked to his HS basketball coach (KJ is not playing this yr) a short while ago. I asked him if he felt he would stick with auburn and he said as long as we do not recruit him to play defense then we should sign him. I brought up that he would play safety at the UA game hence his response about the defense. That made me feel better about the situation.

Ahh, even with the multiplier, that still wouldn't help my school out much. We weren't just private school athletics though. It is funny that Madison Academy was the the largest 3A school at 284 and W.S Neal was the smallest 4A school at 285. Madison Academy must have pulled some strings to stay 3A.

Yeah those same strings the updykes use to reel in all those 5 stars........

$$$$$$$$

No link JMO.

Someone is being worked. uat thinks they have a great shot at flipping KJ. And if KJ were one of the strongest commits we have he would not be visiting uat.

KJ isn't going anywhere.. I'm surprised our two best sources are hearing differently though.

I'm hearing a lot of smoke from the other side. Have for a while. And these guys know. With KJ visiting uat everyone should be concerned. He is a priority for uat.

Well I think we can all agree if he did change his mind he wouldn't play games with it, he'd tell everybody

Agree 100%. He's not the type to play games.

KJ isn't going anywhere.. I'm surprised our two best sources are hearing differently though.

I'm hearing a lot of smoke from the other side. Have for a while. And these guys know. With KJ visiting uat everyone should be concerned. He is a priority for uat.

If KJ is legitimately a concern then if he were to flip it would in the end be one of the biggest screw jobs a recruit has ever done to a school. I don't see that in KJ's character. He has been one of the strongest recruiters for AU publicly and behind the scenes. Usually when a kid is a legit flip candidate they stop recruiting for their committed school. KJ is and has been recruiting for AU strongly since the day he committed. He has maintained from day 1, including the day he committed to AU, that he would OV Bama and FSU because he felt he owed them that much. Now I don't agree with his thinking there but I can respect it because that's been his word all along. With all due respect WDE I just won't believe he is a legitimate flip candidate til he stops recruitoing for AU or actually flips.

FWIW here's another reason I don't see KJ flipping. He is set to play RB in college. Bama likes him as a safety and just got a EB in Damien Harris.

If KJ is legitimately a concern then if he were to flip it would in the end be one of the biggest screw jobs a recruit has ever done to a school. I don't see that in KJ's character. He has been one of the strongest recruiters for AU publicly and behind the scenes. Usually when a kid is a legit flip candidate they stop recruiting for their committed school. KJ is and has been recruiting for AU strongly since the day he committed. He has maintained from day 1, including the day he committed to AU, that he would OV Bama and FSU because he felt he owed them that much. Now I don't agree with his thinking there but I can respect it because that's been his word all along. With all due respect WDE I just won't believe he is a legitimate flip candidate til he stops recruitoing for AU or actually flips.

E, I love you man. But you guys have to start waking up. Alabama has done this the last 3 years. All situations were different, but they all have the same underlying theme. It's not enough for Bama to have the #1 class. They won't to top it off by undermining our class. They have their class almost fully intact and now they are going to spend January going after one or more Auburn recruits to get them to flip. And I have no doubt that Saban and Smart can use KJ's performance at the UA game and practices to show him that they can make him an elite safety just like they did with Barron, Lester, HaHa, Collins, etc.... I'm in total agreement with WDE. If he was one of the most solid recruits, he wouldn't be visiting UAT. Period.

Archived