2017 JUCO ATH D'Anfernee McGriff

RunInRed

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we also already have a suitable nickname for him too.

Justin Hokanson@JHokanson 52s

That nickname would only make sense. RT @mbbowden: @MichaelWarchant @JHokanson the crime dog?

Good idea! Reminds me of Fred McGriff when he was with the Braves. BOOM!

He was the second guy that popped in my head! Didn't he win a World Series with the Bravos? Maybe D'Anfernee will help us win a Natty too!

sorry i didnt read the thread but what position are we anticipating.

WR/HB/TE - I think he reminds me of CJ Uzomah/Ricardo Louis.

But faster

Way faster. Might be fastest kid in this class. Especially at that size.

He's a very physical guy that you can give the ball to numerous times in a row, takes the beating, delivers a beating, and keeps going play after play. When I saw him at the beginning of last year I thought to myself that the Leon coach was going to get him injured very quickly as much as he called QB keepers. He kept it up all season and stayed relatively healthy.

He is an inside WR. Recruiting analyst say that anyway. I hope he has good hands. If he does, look out. Ricardo Louis might be the best athlete on the team, but you wouldnt know it if you threw the ball at him.

He is an inside WR. Recruiting analyst say that anyway. I hope he has good hands. If he does, look out. Ricardo Louis might be the best athlete on the team, but you wouldnt know it if you threw the ball at him.

But on one miraculous night in November all was right in the world. :)

I definitely laughed at this one.

I definitely laughed at this one.

Louis looked pretty good in the spring game. Hopefully he will show out this fall. I think he will.

From his highlights, he's got REALLY good agility for a guy of his size. My concerns (and honestly, they are very small concerns and I'm just nit picking) are:

1) His top-end speed isn't great, but I think that is something that he can work on, and

2) He needs to work on his footwork when throwing the ball. A lot of the time, he was not setting up before he threw it. But again, this is something I am sure Gus and Rhett can and will fix if he becomes a legit contender for QB.

Question for insiders/anyone that knows: McGriff is getting a shot a QB, but we project him at WR/TE (almost like a bigger Jason Smith). Does this mean we are still in the market to take another DT QB?

From his highlights, he's got REALLY good agility for a guy of his size. My concerns (and honestly, they are very small concerns and I'm just nit picking) are:

1) His top-end speed isn't great, but I think that is something that he can work on, and

2) He needs to work on his footwork when throwing the ball. A lot of the time, he was not setting up before he threw it. But again, this is something I am sure Gus and Rhett can and will fix if he becomes a legit contender for QB.

Question for insiders/anyone that knows: McGriff is getting a shot a QB, but we project him at WR/TE (almost like a bigger Jason Smith). Does this mean we are still in the market to take another DT QB?

1. At 6'3, 225 lbs he does have great speed for that size.

2. His footwork as a QB does not matter. We are not giving him a shot at QB. He is strictly coming in at WR/TE/3 Back.Yes we are still taking another athletic QB as we are not looking at McGriff there.

1. At 6'3, 225 lbs he does have great speed for that size.

2. His footwork as a QB does not matter. We are not giving him a shot at QB. He is strictly coming in at WR/TE/3 Back.Yes we are still taking another athletic QB as we are not looking at McGriff there.

Thanks for the clarification. My thought on his speed was me thinking of him as a QB, but you are correct that he has great speed for his size. And I thought BleacherReport said that he would, but obviously I trust you and AUF more than those guys.

Thanks for all the work you do E, 99% of us realize how much work you put into this and we are all grateful for it. Don't let the 1% keep you down! WDE!

Thanks for the clarification. My thought on his speed was me thinking of him as a QB, but you are correct that he has great speed for his size. And I thought BleacherReport said that he would, but obviously I trust you and AUF more than those guys.

Thanks for all the work you do E, 99% of us realize how much work you put into this and we are all grateful for it. Don't let the 1% keep you down! WDE!

Like you said, that was from BP. Nothing like that has been said by sources or AU recruiting reporters as far as I know. If that changes it will be passed along.

This guy might mitigate my OJ Howard envy a bit (even if they only meet on the field one or fewer times).

McGriff is very talented, but I do not see him as a typical TE liek OJ Howard is., Howard is much bigger and taller. I think McGriff is more of an H Back/slot receiver with better speed than Howard and great athleticism.

This guy might mitigate my OJ Howard envy a bit (even if they only meet on the field one or fewer times).

McGriff is very talented, but I do not see him as a typical TE liek OJ Howard is., Howard is much bigger and taller. I think McGriff is more of an H Back/slot receiver with better speed than Howard and great athleticism.

Yeah, mainly the speed and athleticism that I was thinking about. In fact, I'll just be honest- I want a big kid to line up in the slot and do this:

Archived