2017 JUCO ATH D'Anfernee McGriff

RunInRed

I learned this weekend that McGriff will be moved to RB and Wildcat this year as a new QB, who supposedly has a cannon arm, is moving over from Marianna to take over the position. My first nephew was the LT last year and has received a scholarship to Alcorn State next year, and now his younger brother is apparently moving over from guard to LT this year (he's only about 6-3 280, so he's got some growing to do to catch his older brother at 6-8.)

Devil,

Great post. This is good info to have. Cool about your nephews too.

Careful now, according to some mods, posting personal source information without being able to provide a link constitutes "rumor" and is subject to deletion.

LINK????

Dang, Dixie. I almost posted exactly the same thing (well, maybe with fewer question marks). That's scary.

:blink:

Personally, I don't get why folks feel the need to antagonize the mods. They generally do a great job, and they do it for free. People seem to get their feathers ruffled easily online, and also feel free to say what's on their mind in a way that they wouldn't face to face, I guess. Maybe it's cool to hate on the mods, and some folks will no doubt see me as a brown-noser. But I'm actually genuinely flummoxed by those who feel the need to hate on the mods.

Teasing mods is totally different, of course.

Thanks, AUDevil, for the info!

That was intended more in the spirit of teasing than hating. Sorry if it came across as the latter. I, too, appreciate all the mods do for the love of Auburn.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I learned this weekend that McGriff will be moved to RB and Wildcat this year as a new QB, who supposedly has a cannon arm, is moving over from Marianna to take over the position. My first nephew was the LT last year and has received a scholarship to Alcorn State next year, and now his younger brother is apparently moving over from guard to LT this year (he's only about 6-3 280, so he's got some growing to do to catch his older brother at 6-8.)

Devil,

Careful now, according to some mods, posting personal source information without being able to provide a link constitutes "rumor" and is subject to deletion.

LINK????

Dang, Dixie. I almost posted exactly the same thing (well, maybe with fewer question marks). That's scary.

:blink:

Personally, I don't get why folks feel the need to antagonize the mods. They generally do a great job, and they do it for free. People seem to get their feathers ruffled easily online, and also feel free to say what's on their mind in a way that they wouldn't face to face, I guess. Maybe it's cool to hate on the mods, and some folks will no doubt see me as a brown-noser. But I'm actually genuinely flummoxed by those who feel the need to hate on the mods.

That was intended more in the spirit of teasing than hating. Sorry if it came across as the latter. I, too, appreciate all the mods do for the love of Auburn.

I am totally onboard. I love visiting this site and putting my 2 cents in. I think posters should be able to say what they think, within reason (and the posting rules set forth on this site).

Wasn't taken hateful at all, I just thought it had to be done in the name of smart-alecks the world over. Sorry, too many question marks! And these guys help :poke:when there is a question. Next time I will.

Devil,

LINK????

:blink:/>

Obviously we all need to appreciate what the mods do around here(whatever that may be) , but the mod that this particular jab was aimed at is one of the most erratic, short tempered posters on the board. Moderator or not, a little poke in the ribs shouldn't be a big deal.

I can see requesting a link under most circumstances. However, when a member says something such as: "I talked to the player's family Saturday and....." there is obviously not going to be a link. To request one sort of implies that the poster is a liar.

One good thing about this message board is there are a lot of AU people with different sources. I don't think we should be questioning someone when they are relating a first-hand experience. If it's something like "My uncle's barber says...", that's the time to start on the link thing.

I can see requesting a link under most circumstances. However, when a member says something such as: "I talked to the player's family Saturday and....." there is obviously not going to be a link. To request one sort of implies that the poster is a liar.

One good thing about this message board is there are a lot of AU people with different sources. I don't think we should be questioning someone when they are relating a first-hand experience. If it's something like "My uncle's barber says...", that's the time to start on the link thing.

Link?

Link?

I got this link from Bird ;) ;)

Link?

Figures

His team plays in an officials' clinic open to the general public at Leon High this Saturday at 9. He's got another spring game in a few weeks.

Link?

So you HAVE heard. :bananadance:

I'm not really sure on how good this kids hands are but am I crazy for thinking he could be the next Alshon Jeffrey? I mean it's 100% gut feeling but I can't seem to stop feeling that way.

I can't even remember seeing him catch a pass in his highlight video (I may not have watched it all) so i really have no opinion of what he looks like as a receiver. I don't think your crazy that the guy could turn out to be realy good though :dunno:

I can't even remember seeing him catch a pass in his highlight video (I may not have watched it all) so i really have no opinion of what he looks like as a receiver. I don't think your crazy that the guy could turn out to be realy good though :dunno:

If you scroll down his OP profile, there's a vine of him catching a pass. Just one, but it's pretty impressive how he is able to get his arms up quickly to snatch the ball at the highest point and not lose stride. Could be a monster in the slot with that size and speed.

I can't even remember seeing him catch a pass in his highlight video (I may not have watched it all) so i really have no opinion of what he looks like as a receiver. I don't think your crazy that the guy could turn out to be realy good though :dunno:/>

If you scroll down his OP profile, there's a vine of him catching a pass. Just one, but it's pretty impressive how he is able to get his arms up quickly to snatch the ball at the highest point and not lose stride. Could be a monster in the slot with that size and speed.

It was mentioned earlier that McGriff will not be Leon's QB this year. They apparently have a big time transfer coming in. The poster said he is practicing at WR and at RB some.

I'm not really sure on how good this kids hands are but am I crazy for thinking he could be the next Alshon Jeffrey? I mean it's 100% gut feeling but I can't seem to stop feeling that way.

• 1 month later...

Fore some reason when I think of my favorite AU commit I just instantly think of him huge miss match in the slot especially if the 4.3 forty is correct!!

Hard for me to pick a favorite out of this class- probably will be in 4-5 years, too- but I'm with you. He's got the tools to be a breed of player we haven't quite seen yet.

He and Jovon both have skills on Offense that we have yet to see under Gus. They are just different beasts altogether.

On defense, Colbert and now Matthews?

He and Jovon both have skills on Offense that we have yet to see under Gus. They are just different beasts altogether.

On defense, Colbert and now Matthews?

Completely agree with this. Add to it that Lawson was/is a different breed already here. Cam was a different breed too.

Absolutely and add Kerryon who should be a 5*, Roc, and Jovon all in the same backfield with mcgriff at receiver all behind a tough offensive line!! The DC will have to pick his own poison. that's a good thing

Absolutely and add Kerryon who should be a 5*, Roc, and Jovon all in the same backfield with mcgriff at receiver all behind a tough offensive line!! The DC will have to pick his own poison. that's a good thing

If there is such a thing as too much backfield talent for 2015 and 2016 that would be AU assuming everyone stays healthy and out of trouble. A good problem to have though.

• 2 months later...

Glad to see he's getting reps to prepare him for college at his future position. Leon started the season off with a bang last week with a lopsided victory over Taylor County. The new coach down here has really turned the program around and is sending more and more kids to colleges on scholarship.

From the Leon Lion Facebook page:

Leon Varsity & JV Football

3 hours ago

Scout.com (article by Recruiting Analyst Patrick Burnham) and Coach Cokely comment on D'Anfernee's progress:

McGriff Continues Growth on Offense

Tallahassee (Fla.) Leon High School head football coach Tim Cokely talks to Scout.com about the development of Auburn commit D'Anfernee McGriff as a skill position player on the offensive side of the ball. Last season the 6-foot-3 and 225-pound senior played quarterback. This season McGriff will play four different offensive positions.

Tallahassee (Fla.) Leon High School class of 2015 Auburn commitment D'Anfernee McGriff didn’t play on the offensive side of the ball until last season as a junior. The 6-foot-3 and 225-pound senior played quarterback last season but will see time at several positions this season with the majority of his snaps coming at wide receiver and tight end. Leon head football coach Tim Cokely says McGriff has shown improvement in all areas of his game heading into the 2014 regular season.

"We are moving D’Anfernee around because it helps us as a football team. He worked in the off-season on running pass routes and running downfield so that we can take the top off the coverage and open up the field. He is going to play receiver, tight end, running back and quarterback. We are just going to move him around. When you have a guy like him, I like to move him around," Coach Cokely said.

In this case what is good for the team is good for the kid. McGriff is likely to get looks at multiple positions on offense once he arrives at Auburn and the way he will be used this year should only help speed up his development at the skill positions other than quarterback.

"Where he has improved the most is in his route-running and being versatile on offense. Just being able to play in space as a receiver. He played quarterback for us last year but he has become a much better receiver because he understands leverage, where the soft spots in the zone are and how to get open verse man coverage. He is just a better receiver because he has been going through receiver drills since spring," Coach Cokely said.

Please check back with Scout.com for future updated on D'Anfernee McGriff.

Archived