Note on Corey Grant (A-Day)

StatTiger

Last season Corey Grant had a limited role in the Auburn offense when it came to actual touches. Grant carried the ball just 66 times during the 2013 season and caught 4 passes. He played in all 14 games during the past season but was limited to 5 carries or less during 9 games. With the departure of Tre Mason, look for Grant's role in the offense to likely expand in 2014.

Though he had less than 70 carries during 2013, Grant made the most of his opportunities. He averaged nearly 10-yards per rush and scored 6 rushing touchdowns. 14.8% of Tre Mason's rush attempts went for 10-yards or more. Cameron Artis-Payne produced 10+ yard rushes, 20.9% of the time. Corey Grant checked in at 34.8% with 23 of his 66 carries resulting in at least 10-yards.

The Play...

A-DayGrant54TD_zps0f48e1c0.jpg

During the 2014 A-Day game, Corey Grant was limited to just 5 carries but once again made the most of his offensive touches. Grant finished the game with 128-yards rushing, including the above 54-yard run for a touchdown.

The play is a speed-option, which quickly gets Grant on the edge and up the field. The play is a perfect display of his game-changing speed and his ability to get north & south very quickly. C.J. Uzomah and Brandon Fulse are key on the play, creating a running lane for Grant to explode down the side line.

At one point, it appears the CB and safety on the wide side of the field had the angle to make the play on Grant but Grant's speed allowed him to split the final two defenders. Once Grant makes it to the secondary, there are very few defenders in the country that possess the speed to to catch him.

I'm glad to see this play added to the arsenal. With the speed of Grant and Marshall they can really stretch defenses laterally. This will wear them out and enable CAP to beat them down inside and vice versa. This is going to be the best Auburn offense of all time I feel like.

he covered those last 40 yards very quickly. I like this play because he has his shoulders a little more square to the line when he gets the ball, so he's already close to top gear.

He ran about a 10.5 for the 100 meters in HS...110 yards basically ....and that was before he he developed physically to the extent he has now.

Something in the 4.1-4.2 sounds like a reasonable possibility. He definitely has a very quick start.

I think Cory Grant is one of the scariest runners in all of college football. Once he turns the corner, he is so scary. He runs so under control and he seems to know where and when to turn on the jets. He has a speed that few if any any can deliver. Other schools have to be very nervous when he touches the ball.

4.1.... Isn't this close to what Bo Jackson ran?

Corey is freaky fast, but I'm looking forward to him running between the tackles more this season and shedding this image that Auburn fans have assigned him of being strictly a speed back. He's only 5 lbs lighter than CAP and significantly faster, which- along with the stream of comments we've heard about him being a beast in the gym- says a lot to me about his leg drive, which is much more important in getting tough yards than size is. (And I am not discounting CAP at all. He's got a combination of vision, hip movement and balance that makes him an extremely elusive runner in his own right, and he is capable of laying the wood as well, even if he's not the bruiser that some folks make him out to be.)

Corey will get drafted as an NFL RB. Not a special teams guy or a DB project, but a running back. I'm so glad he came to Auburn.

The thing that I think makes Corey a star, far more than any speed back we've had in the past, is not only is he lightning quick, but he's not afraid to take a hit or plow through a defender. No, he's not a bruiser like CAP, but that kind of mental/physical toughness mixed with that kind of speed makes him a serious weapon on any level.

The thing that I think makes Corey a star, far more than any speed back we've had in the past, is not only is he lightning quick, but he's not afraid to take a hit or plow through a defender. No, he's not a bruiser like CAP, but that kind of mental/physical toughness mixed with that kind of speed makes him a serious weapon on any level.

Corey seems to bounce off defenders and then keep going. It's a good quality. He could be a very versatile back for us

Exactly. He isn't always looking to run in a straight line and get out of bounds. Great runner with a lot of speed.

Grant is more like 4.25 than 4.1. The main reason that Bo was so fast was the spread between Bo and his pursuers. When Bo ran a 4.12 at the combine most of the middle linebackers were running 4.76 and the DBs were running 4.5.

Now DBs run 4.4 - to see the difference, which is not linear, you would be around 3.9.

My grandson may see the days of players running 3.9 but I won't unless the new Bo comes to AU soon.

Grant is more like 4.25 than 4.1. The main reason that Bo was so fast was the spread between Bo and his pursuers. When Bo ran a 4.12 at the combine most of the middle linebackers were running 4.76 and the DBs were running 4.5.

Now DBs run 4.4 - to see the difference, which is not linear, you would be around 3.9.

My grandson may see the days of players running 3.9 but I won't unless the new Bo comes to AU soon.

if people keep figuring out better ways to time it they will anyway.

I hope and pray that Gus gives him more touches that way Oregon did with Thomas. Though Thomas can't take the hits the Grant has proven to be able to absorb.

I was trying to think of a way to mathematically evaluate just how "powerful" these runners are. Best formula I could come up with was the one for force, F=ma. I couldn't figure out how to confidently determine acceleration from their 40 times- I conservatively put Corey at 4.2 and put CAP at 4.4, since he came here at 4.5 and I couldn't find anything more recent- but any way I tried to calculate it, a guy at 4.2 and 205 lbs runs with more force than a guy at 4.4 and 210.

I was trying to think of a way to mathematically evaluate just how "powerful" these runners are. Best formula I could come up with was the one for force, F=ma. I couldn't figure out how to confidently determine acceleration from their 40 times- I conservatively put Corey at 4.2 and put CAP at 4.4, since he came here at 4.5 and I couldn't find anything more recent- but any way I tried to calculate it, a guy at 4.2 and 205 lbs runs with more force than a guy at 4.4 and 210.

Where is John Brenkus when you need him?

Sports-Science.jpg

Is Grant faster than Omac?

I would say so. Looks to be at least....also doesn't look like he is about to trip at any given moment when he runs lol

I would say so. Looks to be at least....also doesn't look like he is about to trip at any given moment when he runs lol

That is funny and true. I know exactly what you are talking about. Omac was a burner, but he got going like an old Lincoln.

They are about the same speed, but Corey accelerates faster than Omac. Corey Grant can get to full speed quicker than I have seen anyone since Bo.

They are about the same speed, but Corey accelerates faster than Omac. Corey Grant can get to full speed quicker than I have seen anyone since Bo.

Certainly seems to square his shoulders upfield a lot faster.

Certainly seems to square his shoulders upfield a lot faster.

Corey also won't fall over when hit nearly as easily as omac. As fast as omac was, he couldnt break tackles

Archived