Early/honest thoughts on where next years BBall team will finish

JFDTiger80

Ok, basketball folks, based on who we have and who we have committed and/or signed now, how do you think we will finish this year in Basketball? Also, do we have enough talent and coaching to go anywhere in the postseason?

I think we get to at least 18 wins and above 0.500 in the SEC. I think we go to the NIT in the first year and NCAA tourney in the 2nd year.

NIT if and only if the stars align in our favor. The talent level simply isn't there to accomplish anything beyond that. I'd take .500 in the SEC and laugh all the way to the bank, but I don't really see us doing that this year. The following season, with Pearl having a full year to recruit, should be better.

I can see us finishing inside the top 10 in the SEC at least. About a 9-9 record in the SEC would be a nice starting point for the Pearl era. If we can start out the non conference season with 10 wins or so, we can be an NIT team and depending on our SEC tourney success, could be a bubble team if we get very lucky. Remember though, this team hasn't played one second of basketball yet.

NIT if and only if the stars align in our favor. The talent level simply isn't there to accomplish anything beyond that. I'd take .500 in the SEC and laugh all the way to the bank, but I don't really see us doing that this year. The following season, with Pearl having a full year to recruit, should be better.

The rest of the conference is so bad we can make a pretty big move upward with just a minor improvement IMO. We threw away a handful of games last season...maybe a couple handfuls ....with bad foul shooting, poor floor discipline and lack of team play. Should not be impossible to overcome those shortcomings with a more disciplined scheme.

Honestly, i am just happy with the change. I really believe that CBP will turn this around. If he goes .500 in the league, he will get an NIT bid. Developing a winning and never say die attitude with these young men will go a long way towards getting the ship going in the right direction. WDE :jossun: :jossun: :jossun:

I'll be honest, this is the most excited I have ever been about AU basketball and I think this is Awesome!

14-0 SEC Champions and National Champion.

;D

I see you're a real basketball fan! If you're talkin' football, next year it will have to be 15-0. 14-0 won't cut it.

;D/>

I see you're a real basketball fan! If you're talkin' football, next year it will have to be 15-0. 14-0 won't cut it.

I was joking. I always put that in football prediction threads.

I think we will be much improved with Pearl at the helm, and we probably will make the NIT. Once Pearl is able to hit the recruiting trail, watch out. Never know though, having such a great bball mind as Pearl does, crap we may make the dance. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

I think we have more talent than people realize. Last year we were competitive in the SEC as we had two guards who could score. However we did not have enough pieces in other areas to get over the top we lost one of the two guards so that makes us worse. We have a 7 footer who didn't play last year but who worked out with team for a year. We have a JUCO forward with some skills and meat on his body that should help us. We are picking up some depth in frontline with incoming freshman. We have a solid returning point guard and we have a couple of transfers that may help us.

We should be better than last year just on talent plus we have a dynamic coach who will actually make them play as a team and get the most out of their talent. We can make NIT and have a change to get NCAA bid. We should be mid tier SEC team this year.

;D/>

I was joking. I always put that in football prediction threads.

I think we will be much improved with Pearl at the helm, and we probably will make the NIT. Once Pearl is able to hit the recruiting trail, watch out. Never know though, having such a great bball mind as Pearl does, crap we may make the dance. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

It wouldn't surprise me either, though I won't expect it. It will be nice to just see improvement throughout the year.

If the pattern remains the same (or similar) to what it was for football last year... guess 1st step depends on what kind of shape Coach Davis can get'em into.

(anyone with input ?)

We'll be better is all I know. I don't really have any expectations, just happy to have Bruce on our side. I could see an NIT bid happening though. Pretty reasonable I think.

I'll be honest, this is the most excited I have ever been about AU basketball and I think this is Awesome!

Me too!

I think we were spoiled with the miraculous turnaround in football last year. This is a MUCH different situation. I would be thrilled with a competitive team this year, and then the next year ramp up the expectations. One full recruiting class can transform a basketball team much quicker than football. 2015-16 will be our year to start competing at the elite level in basketball.

You guys aren't giving Pearl enough credit- his style of play might just win us 6-8 extra games.. We're going dancing next year. Probably a 12 seed or similar. We'll go somewhere in the 16-6 range in conference. I'd say we sit 20-30 in rank by seasons end.

You guys aren't giving Pearl enough credit- his style of play might just win us 6-8 extra games.. We're going dancing next year. Probably a 12 seed or similar. We'll go somewhere in the 16-6 range in conference. I'd say we sit 20-30 in rank by seasons end.

Easy there. This from a team that finished with 4 conference wins last year? I know we were a tad spoiled with Gus, but I wouldn't start expecting NCAA berths yet, rather than expecting serious improvement with an NIT berth and seeing the best case scenario as making the tourney. I still expect to see really really good things from this team though.

I will be excited just to see AU basketball getting respect in our conference and nationally.

We lost a very large percentage of our SEC games last year by a very, very small margin. A lot of them were very close that we should have sealed the deal on especially at the beginning of the year. I think Bruce will help us finish the drill on a lot of those. I say we finish a couple games over .500 for the year and a even .500 for conference play. I think due to our tough OOC schedule that is shaping up, I think we will only come out of it a couple games over .500. This will help our RPI and we will go to the NIT.

Archived