Notre Dame & Georgia

auburn4ever

I realize this has nothing to do with Auburn football, but I heard today that ND & Georgia have agreed to play one another starting 2017 I believe. ND will go to Athens in 2017 then Georgia will go to South Bend in 2018 or 2019.

We need to get someone like them on our schedule.

Would that qualify as an official rumor or is it from a reliable source? Interesting either way.......

Would that qualify as an official rumor or is it from a reliable source? Interesting either way.......

Apparently it's been booked.

A snippet:

Notre Dame and Georgia announced Wednesday a home-and-home series for the 2017 and 2019 seasons, marking the first regular-season matchups between the storied programs.

The Fighting Irish will host the Bulldogs on Sept. 9, 2017, in South Bend, Indiana, before visiting Athens, Georgia, on Sept. 21, 2019....

Full article

I think one tough OOC opponent per year is good enough. This is the SEC west, not the B1G west.

It must be time for me to go home to join Elizabeth, because I actually agree with the OP.

Here's the dilemma. Currently, AU has no future OOC opponents of the non-cupcake variety scheduled past 2015. Now I have read that Jacobs is supposedly working on this. Unfortunately teams that most would consider to be a major draw have just about filled their non-conference slates, Some of them have dates scheduled well into the next decade.

UGA v ND is a great matchup, IMO. Proof that there are still some heavyweights that are available for future games.

Keep pluggin away Jacobs!

I thought ND had refused to come to Auburn, but they'll goto Athens?

Or maybe I'm thinking of Michigan?

I think one tough OOC opponent per year is good enough. This is the SEC west, not the B1G west.

Which tough OOC opponent does Auburn have a home & home scheduled with? Louisville is a one-off, and doesn't look like they'll be especially tough. I would be happy if Auburn could sign a home & home with some marquee team that would have a draw in some major media market and be of national interest. One of the top teams from the PAC12 or B1G.

Probably a mixture of both. I think ND wanted Auburn to come to South Bend, and would only do a return trip to Atlanta, or some other neutral site in a major southeastern city.

And I think it was either AU, UGA or both were trying to schedule home-and-home arrangements with Michigan in the mid '00s, but they would only agree to a 2-for-1.

Which tough OOC opponent does Auburn have a home & home scheduled with? Louisville is a one-off, and doesn't look like they'll be especially tough. I would be happy if Auburn could sign a home & home with some marquee team that would have a draw in some major media market and be of national interest. One of the top teams from the PAC12 or B1G.

I wouldn't write off that Louisville game as a snoozer just yet. That will be a Louisville team in their 2nd season under Petrino.

Probably a mixture of both. I think ND wanted Auburn to come to South Bend, and would only do a return trip to Atlanta, or some other neutral site in a major southeastern city.

And I think it was either AU, UGA or both were trying to schedule home-and-home arrangements with Michigan in the mid '00s, but they would only agree to a 2-for-1.

I wouldn't write off that Louisville game as a snoozer just yet. That will be a Louisville team in their 2nd season under Petrino.

How silly does it look for those 2 soft-butt programs to disrespect AU like that? LOL Michigan and Notre Dame??? C'mon. A home game for a neutral site return trip? A 2 for 1? PLEASE. 2 national title game appearances along with an undefeated season and 1 crystal ball. That resume is better than both of those school's resume's COMBINED in the modern era.

I'll say this, AU books an away trip to a place like ND- I'll be there. I know it makes our schedule tougher, but a trip to a Notre Dame caliber school would be a real exciting deal for our entire fanbase and I think adds a lot of overall value to the program. Good for UGA and ND.

How silly does it look for those 2 soft-butt programs to disrespect AU like that? LOL Michigan and Notre Dame??? C'mon. A home game for a neutral site return trip? A 2 for 1? PLEASE. 2 national title game appearances along with an undefeated season and 1 crystal ball. That resume is better than both of those school's resume's COMBINED in the modern era.

I suspect this is why we rarely see regular season home-and home affairs between high profile SEC and B1G programs. I have posted on several national college football forums over the years, and you would be surprised at the arrogance and ignorance exhibited by the keyboard warrior fans of B1G schools and Notre Dame. The way some of them chatter about, one would think this was the 60's and 70's when B1G football was more nationally respected. It wouldn't be shocking if that train of thought is likely shared by the respective ADs at most of their programs.

I would not be bothered in the least if AU never schedules a regular season game against any B1G team or ND. Watching them get their teeth kicked in at a bowl game, followed by the usual online cry-fest by their fans about warm weather disadvantages in January keeps a Joker's grin on my face.

Auburn needs to play Ohio State,Texas,Oklahoma, or ND! Seeing us play Clemson never gets old, I would like to see more of those, along with FSU.

Auburn needs to play Ohio State,Texas,Oklahoma, or ND! Seeing us play Clemson never gets old, I would like to see more of those, along with FSU.

I've gotta disagree about Clemson--I'm sick of playing them. I'd like to see the other teams you mentioned, or even some schools like UCLA, TCU, Miami, or Baylor.

We play Clemson more often than we play some of our SEC East brothers.

ENOUGH WITH CLEMSON

We play Clemson more often that we play some of our SEC East brothers.

ENOUGH WITH CLEMSON

I agree 100%!!!!!

I'd like to see a GaTech rematch, we owe them an ass whipping. I'm also excited about the upcoming Louisville game. Would love a Miami or Ohio State game too.

We play Clemson more often that we play some of our SEC East brothers.

ENOUGH WITH CLEMSON

I agree 100%!!!!!

I'd like to see a GaTech rematch, we owe them an ass whipping...

Indeed.

Had they not backed out of the originally scheduled '04 Georgia Dome split from what started as a 3-game arrangement, then no one could ever utter a mention of Citadel.

Playing Clemson or Georgia Tech is not going to draw a national audience. Same with Washington State, Kansas State, Louisville. Nobody is going to write that down on their calendar. Auburn-USCw, Auburn-Stanford, Auburn-Oregon, Auburn-tOSU -- that would draw a national audience.

But it does make sense that those teams are not eager to play at Jordan-Hare. Why? Auburn is in the middle of nowhere. The other team's fans fly into -- where? -- Atlanta or B'ham and drive for hours, then stay overnight at a flea-bit motel in Columbus or Sylacauga after the game? Except more likely, they stay home. Those opponents are in bigger cities, easy to get to, lots of hotels, lots of restaurants, etc. So Auburn fans would find it easy to go to games at their house.

I'm not sure how UGA got ND to agree to visiting Athens, but I suspect it involves a lot of money that ND receives which any other team would not receive. I think Auburn would have to play its "home" game against one of those marquee teams in Atlanta. Or do the one-off games there.

I lived more years in Auburn than most people on this board and loved it. But I don't think you get any of those teams to come to Auburn.

But I'd love to be wrong. Prove me wrong, JJ. Yeah, right, you rock JJ.

Playing Clemson or Georgia Tech is not going to draw a national audience. Same with Washington State, Kansas State, Louisville. Nobody is going to write that down on their calendar. Auburn-USCw, Auburn-Stanford, Auburn-Oregon, Auburn-tOSU -- that would draw a national audience.

But it does make sense that those teams are not eager to play at Jordan-Hare. Why? Auburn is in the middle of nowhere. The other team's fans fly into -- where? -- Atlanta or B'ham and drive for hours, then stay overnight at a flea-bit motel in Columbus or Sylacauga after the game? Except more likely, they stay home. Those opponents are in bigger cities, easy to get to, lots of hotels, lots of restaurants, etc. So Auburn fans would find it easy to go to games at their house.

I'm not sure how UGA got ND to agree to visiting Athens, but I suspect it involves a lot of money that ND receives which any other team would not receive. I think Auburn would have to play its "home" game against one of those marquee teams in Atlanta. Or do the one-off games there.

I lived more years in Auburn than most people on this board and loved it. But I don't think you get any of those teams to come to Auburn.

But I'd love to be wrong. Prove me wrong, JJ. Yeah, right, you rock JJ.

USCw did come to Auburn in 2003. Alas, I attended that game and got to witness firsthand the birth of the atrocity now known as Nall-ball.

Disagree. This is where I believe in some instances a team's 'brand name' value can be overrated. The number of eyes tuned in is dependent upon how highly rated said opponent is at the time of play.

If 2014 AU were lining up against some of Petrino's first stint Louisville squads, or against some of the Colin Klein-led K-State teams from a few seasons back, the nation would be watching.

Lots of campuses around the country do not have the luxury of being in close proximity to a bustling metropolis.

To further prove the myth behind that theory, I will refer back to the Michigan example. They currently have a home-and-home series with Arkie in 2018 & 2019.

AU campus is less than 2 hours from one of the largest airports in the country and some of the best hotels/eating establishments in the South. AU is a quick and easy jaunt from Atlanta airport - is it too unreasonable to expect a visiting fanbase to fly into ATL, lodge there, drive to AU to watch their team play?

AU campus is less than 2 hours from one of the largest airports in the country and some of the best hotels/eating establishments in the South. AU is a quick and easy jaunt from Atlanta airport - is it too unreasonable to expect a visiting fanbase to fly into ATL, lodge there, drive to AU to watch their team play?

If you ask somebody not familiar with that particular set up, to some it can seem odd and above and beyond the effort and energy necessary to watch a football game when you can do so for muuuuch cheaper at home on a comfy couch with an inexpensive beverage..and in HD. The airport thing is probably the biggest hurdle though, flying to Atlanta only to drive 2 more hours is enough to turn away somebody from out of town, IMO.

If you ask somebody not familiar with that particular set up, to some it can seem odd and above and beyond the effort and energy necessary to watch a football game when you can do so for muuuuch cheaper at home on a comfy couch with an inexpensive beverage..and in HD. The airport thing is probably the biggest hurdle though, flying to Atlanta only to drive 2 more hours is enough to turn away somebody from out of town, IMO.

These big time programs have plenty of fans that would make that trip. We are talking about around 10,000 people. They could easily get to it. OSU plays Nebraska. Lincoln is not exactly a metropolis and it isn't really close to any major city. That is just anexcuse they use to not have to play Auburn.

These big time programs have plenty of fans that would make that trip. We are talking about around 10,000 people. They could easily get to it. OSU plays Nebraska. Lincoln is not exactly a metropolis and it isn't really close to any major city. That is just anexcuse they use to not have to play Auburn.

What you don't consider Omaha a metrepolis??????? Just an hour away........

J/K J/K I hate Omaha lived there two of the worst years of my life.

Archived