Living up to the expectations

tigerbrotha12

We all certainly can tell the expectations for this year's team are very high. Although not everyone has Auburn finishing the year in the college football playoff at all, and some do not even believe Auburn will finish inside of the top 10 in the nation ( *cough *cough http://gamedayr.com/sports/college-ncaa/college-football/tim-brando-preseason-top-10-ucla-pick-110469/ ) Auburn should in fact be a team that, if all goes well, should be projected to be at least a contender for the playoff. Sometimes, however, we have not lived up to said hype, such as the 2003 (http://preseason.stassen.com/consensus/2003.html ) and 2008 (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/31009-auburn-football-2008-game-by-game-preview-and-prediction ) expectations. What are your thoughts on this year's team dealing with such high expectations?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we have a group of coaches that will guide them through this better than others have done in the years cited in your OP. I hope these players will still have a chip on their shoulder after all the talk of us being "lucky" last year in some of the wins. I hope our Auburn family will have the attitude that this hype is going to be a yearly thing, and it will just become a normal part of our football program ( and other sports-basketball, softball, and baseball) expectations. War Eagle Baby!!!

Scares me, honestly, but I also tell myself not to overgeneralize based on past history. We're about to see something for which history gives us no guide: Mahlzan getting a 2nd year with his QB.

I think Marshal will step up and become a much better passer--we just need our recievers to do the same and the run game will take care of itself.

We all certainly can tell the expectations for this year's team are very high. Although not everyone has Auburn finishing the year in the college football playoff at all, and some do not even believe Auburn will finish inside of the top 10 in the nation ( *cough *cough http://gamedayr.com/...la-pick-110469/ ) Auburn should in fact be a team that, if all goes well, should be projected to be at least a contender for the playoff. Sometimes, however, we have not lived up to said hype, such as the 2003 (http://preseason.sta...ensus/2003.html ) and 2008 (http://bleacherrepor...-and-prediction ) expectations. What are your thoughts on this year's team dealing with such high expectations?

New sheriff in town who is not happy with just being there. He wants there and he wants to win! If the injury bug doesn't get us, even with one of the toughest schedules in the country, AU could very well, be there in the end!

As far as national expectations: (A) They still think the UGA game was luck and don't realize AU was up by 20 in the 4th and a couple bad calls let UGA back in the game.

(B) They think without the kick six, UAT would have won the game. It amazes me how many people (outside of the Southeast) I talk to that don't realize if the FG wasn't run back the game goes into OT all tied up!

First and foremost, Auburn fans have got to forget about the failures of past coaches and teams. They have nothing to do with the 2014 Auburn football team.

Not only were those previous coaching staffs, but each of the years you mentioned featured a new offensive coordinator- TWO new offensive coordinators in 2003- who would not return the following year. The 2013 staff- who, very much unlike the staffs from 2002 and 2007, was 13 seconds away from winning a national title- returns completely intact.

That's about all I got.

I'll echo what McLoofus said. 2003 and 2008 featured new coordinators on offense and 2006 featured Will Muschamp at DC in his first year.

Both 2003 and 2008 were teams with alot of talent and potential but success was squandered because of staff issues. I contend that both teams had the potential to be contenders in those years, especially 2003. The 2008 team lost 2 semi-blowouts to WVU and UAT but were close in all of their other wins/losses. Even without a decent QB (and Todd would have been just fine if he hasn't been that injured), I think the 2008 team could have managed at least 8 or 9 wins with some competent decision making and preparation on that staff. 2003 same thing if they had a decent OC.

2006 was a really good team hampered by Al Borges becoming the present day Al Borges and the typical Tuberville "lose a game or two we're supposed to win." We were legitimately a top ten team that year. I think the hype for all 3 of those years was deserved when you consider what those teams looked like on paper. Of course, no one knows how new staffs and players will work out - hence the issues in those years.

2014 is more like 1987 than any of those other years. Returning QB, staff, system, etc. we won the SEC that year. I think we deserve the hype and we have every reason to be excited.

I think the biggest obstacle for the 2014 team will be the schedule, not the hype. I feel really good that the team will win at least 9-10 games but will they lose 2-3 games? Even though teams in the SEC are replacing QB's some of our tough road games are later in the year. Even though teams have to replace QB's they will have an identity and be better than they would be earlier in the season. I'd feel a lot better if we could play Georgia and Alabama in September instead of November.

I had to laugh looking back at the 2008 BleacherReport article. That's just fantasy.

However, I think the schedule is our biggest obstacle. Honestly I'm not worried about focus for away games with our current staff, but the totality of the teams we play week in and out are really good.

2006 was a really good team hampered by Al Borges becoming the present day Al Borges and the typical Tuberville "lose a game or two we're supposed to win." We were legitimately a top ten team that year. I think the hype for all 3 of those years was deserved when you consider what those teams looked like on paper. Of course, no one knows how new staffs and players will work out - hence the issues in those years.

Our offensive struggles in '06 probably had a lot to do with losing all those receivers. We also had to play the whole season without an off week.

When Tubs goes to an amusement park, he loves the roller coasters but always gets sick on the carousel. :P

if Auburn lost every game but beat uga and bammer....that would be so Auburn of them.

Expectations are high and should be. A staff returning completely in tact, an offensive line with 4 of 5 starters returning, similar on d-line, most major skill players returning with some great additions. The last time we had something like that was in 2010 following 2009. The upgrade in skill positions then was the unknown of Cam Newton. This year we have a known commodity in Nick Marshall back for a second year under Gus. That along with improvement in the receiving corps (how they improved over the last year and the addition of Duke Williams) is where this team will make headway this year. However, every team needs some of the right breaks - limited injuries, the ball bouncing the right way etc... to get there. The known obstacle we have to overcome is the schedule and playing tough teams throughout. I believe the staff will have them mentally ready for each game and focused on the task at hand from week to week. Avoid injuries and get a few of the right breaks and we will be the first to fifteen (1st 2-15).

Gus has set new standards for excellence within the entire program. All bets are off! That goes for all the past trends and tendencies of the team under other coaching staffs as well. Not saying that to be argumentative at all. I just really feel this. I think we are watching the ushering in of a new Auburn Football program. We are going like this...^^^^^^^^^^ (that means up FYI, on my mobile)

Historically when we'd have been picked high we flop and when we are picked low we surprise. I don't think that means a thing with the HC and staff we have now. I think this team comes out ready fron the get-go and runs the table, possibly even becoming the first team to go 15 - 0 and the first playoff winner.

Historically when we'd have been picked high we flop and when we are picked low we surprise. I don't think that means a thing with the HC and staff we have now. I think this team comes out ready fron the get-go and runs the table, possibly even becoming the first team to go 15 - 0 and the first playoff winner.

Agreed 100%. We have the makings of a special year. There will be a lot of pundits, including slimebaum, that will be backtracking their statements and predictions about AU. FAST

Our offensive struggles in '06 probably had a lot to do with losing all those receivers. We also had to play the whole season without an off week.

No doubt. Courtney Taylor was good but he was not Aromashodou or Obamanou level. That had alot to do with it as did Cox's injury from the LSU game on. But 2007 looked so similar to the bulk of 2006 that I think it's safe to say that Borges couldn't adapt as well when he didn't have world class talent like he did in 2004 and 2005. Even so, Auburn was still a very solid team that year.

This is gonna be a good year but it could be similar to 2006 considering the schedule. We could be the best team in conference and still lose one or two games down the stretch and end up outside of the playoff. But like I said before, there's no reason not to hype this team as a legit top ten team. Auburn probably has the least questions of any SEC team this year.

Let's face it, this is looking like OUR best staff ever, from HC to overall

Best offenses, top 10 teams, and a staff that doesn't see much attrition (many have either hit their winter years or are at their golden destination)

10 wins SHOULD be the norm, as long as we don't have schedules of hell year in and year out.

With Greg Robinson gone, I wonder if Auburn will run successfully like they did last year. The big guy was a dominant force. I think Gus' forte is finding out what everyone does best and thinking on the fly, i.e. the run back in the iron bowl. He knows football and I'll bet has a high I.Q. He just needs to continue to trust himself and his judgement. Auburn loves to sneak up on other teams, that's when they play their best. Honestly, I love to see it. Still can't get that grin off my face from last year.

With Greg Robinson gone, I wonder if Auburn will run successfully like they did last year. The big guy was a dominant force. I think Gus' forte is finding out what everyone does best and thinking on the fly, i.e. the run back in the iron bowl. He knows football and I'll bet has a high I.Q. He just needs to continue to trust himself and his judgement. Auburn loves to sneak up on other teams, that's when they play their best. Honestly, I love to see it. Still can't get that grin off my face from last year.

I think what a lot of us are hoping for is that opponents will have to legitimately respect the pass this season, which will open up the run more this year. Last year, we just opened up the run ourselves :)

No doubt. Courtney Taylor was good but he was not Aromashodou or Obamanou level. That had alot to do with it as did Cox's injury from the LSU game on. But 2007 looked so similar to the bulk of 2006 that I think it's safe to say that Borges couldn't adapt as well when he didn't have world class talent like he did in 2004 and 2005. Even so, Auburn was still a very solid team that year.

This is gonna be a good year but it could be similar to 2006 considering the schedule. We could be the best team in conference and still lose one or two games down the stretch and end up outside of the playoff. But like I said before, there's no reason not to hype this team as a legit top ten team. Auburn probably has the least questions of any SEC team this year.

Courtney Taylor was lot better receiver than obamanu and aromashodu. Courtney Taylor was clutch. Obamanu, was more athletic but dropped several crunch time passes.

3rd and 12 against LSU in 2004. Had Courtney Taylor not caught the 4th and 12 pass, we would remember Obamanu's drop the play before.

Archived