Calling Payton Barber

3Jtiger22

Barber's future will more than likely be at fullback or transfer, with Robinson coming in, it will be tough to beat him out.

Fulse does not have the mentality to be a fullback

just my stupid unqualified opinion

Peyton will likely get more carries as this season goes along (we're only 3 games in, after all), and he will probably be getting more touches next season than this one in any case. That's taking nothing away from Robinson, rather saying that I think we're going to see far more of a three headed monster next year than anything else.

Also, even if Jovon does have the kind of season that pushes Barber back down the depth chart, he's going pro, because he's almost certainly going to be one and done, anyway.

Now, I could see Peyton playing fullback, but if that happens I expect him to play more of a Ronnie Brown role, lining up at several different positions. He's just too good an athlete not to get him the ball.

I actually think with JJ next year will be MORE pass oriented than this year, which is not to say there won't be plenty of carries for the RBs in that version of Gusball.

And I suspect that Barber is going to catch the ball out of the backfield quite a bit, whether by design or on a checkdown when the primary receiver isn't open; that's why I used 'touches' instead of 'carries' when alluding to next season in my initial sentence. ;)

Think back a few years to when Erik (?) Smith played FB. He was tough as a pine knot, could run effectively and was very dangerous on the "wheel route". JMO but there is no reason that a tough back like PB could not play that role for us.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barber's future will more than likely be at fullback or transfer, with Robinson coming in, it will be tough to beat him out.

Fulse does not have the mentality to be a fullback

just my stupid unqualified opinion

Peyton will likely get more carries as this season goes along (we're only 3 games in, after all), and he will probably be getting more touches next season than this one in any case. That's taking nothing away from Robinson, rather saying that I think we're going to see far more of a three headed monster next year than anything else.

Also, even if Jovon does have the kind of season that pushes Barber back down the depth chart, he's going pro, because he's almost certainly going to be one and done, anyway.

Now, I could see Peyton playing fullback, but if that happens I expect him to play more of a Ronnie Brown role, lining up at several different positions. He's just too good an athlete not to get him the ball.

Um?.....The Roc!!?!

Do please note that I mentioned a three headed monster next year; Thomas is the other back I was talking about. Barber and Robinson are both big backs, which is what auburnphan was getting at (I presume). Roc isn't a scatback, but he's not the same kind of bruiser that the other two are.

ya never know he could put on some pounds and be that next year

hopefully someone else gets some looks at FB, because Fulse has been a failed experiment to this point

Agree....don't know the problem...maybe he's not quick enough to stay on defenders who are trying to shed his block...but something has to change if we are going to get the running game back to where it was late in the 2013 season.

Think he's physically capable just has looked confused or indecisive. Just takes a split second to let a defender muck up the play if he's shooting the gap into the backfield. K state exploited that flaw but hopefully can be corrected.

I was just thinking I'd like to see more of him too. Roc has gotten all the hype, but I want to see what Barber can do too.

Might like to see him in the fullback role....waaay to many missed blocks the last few weeks from that position.

True. A LOT. Should've cloned Prosch before he left.

I was just thinking I'd like to see more of him too. Roc has gotten all the hype, but I want to see what Barber can do too.

Might like to see him in the fullback role....waaay to many missed blocks the last few weeks from that position.

It took him some time, too. Maybe Fulse still has a shot. I guess the difference with Prosch was that he was still clearing a path even when he wasn't putting pads on guys.

Speaking of... just how athletic is Braden Smith? >:D

It took him some time, too. Maybe Fulse still has a shot. I guess the difference with Prosch was that he was still clearing a path even when he wasn't putting pads on guys.

Speaking of... just how athletic is Braden Smith? >:D

He'd surely open up some holes. Heck Braden could probably part the Red Sea. Hope Fulse can get his blocking down. Just think he's more of a receiver than blocker.

Payton Barber? Is that Peyton Barber's brother, or do they just share a last name? ;D

I considered starting a "Players' actual names" thread and just posting a link to the roster. Elijah Daniel, Trovon Reed and Josh Holsey thought it was a good idea, but Elijah Daniels, Travon Reed and Josh Hosely didn't, so I shelved it.

I saw and considered that but if jovon is back there and especially if Ford can switch back (that second one's unlikely IMO) they're much better RB receivers than Barber so they'll likely get that role. We know Gus will change the O early season to fit extraordinary talent (Cam and at Tulsa) so that's Barber's biggest chance to be a superstar next season. IMHO.

Ford won't be moving back, and if Jovon is utilized in that role, I suspect Peyton will get more carries than receptions (I was under the impression that Barber had pretty soft hands, which is why I thought he would be that guy).

Think back a few years to when Erik (?) Smith played FB. He was tough as a pine knot, could run effectively and was very dangerous on the "wheel route". JMO but there is no reason that a tough back like PB could not play that role for us.

Smith was never the runner that Barber has the potential to be. I'm not saying that Peyton couldn't be that kind of player, I'm saying that putting him in that kind of role is too limiting for his talent level.

Especially considering that Chandler Cox will be on campus next year.

Y'all are forgetting about one 6'0" 239 Kam Pettway next year. In fact if Fulse doesn't pick up the pace, I wouldn't be surprised if KP's redshirt comes off and we see him as a FB this year.

Y'all are forgetting about one 6'0" 239 Kam Pettway next year. In fact if Fulse doesn't pick up the pace, I wouldn't be surprised if KP's redshirt comes off and we see him as a FB this year.

Agreed

So, are we just going to forget this year and struggle with a FB that can't get the blocks made?

Worry about next year...next year....we need something to happen next week.

With k-state struggling against utep just shows me we were not playing our best ball. And they were playing their best and selling all out to beat us!

KState leading UTEP 31 - 0, and the game is not over!!

Doesn't sound like "struggling to me. :wareagle:

With k-state struggling against utep just shows me we were not playing our best ball. And they were playing their best and selling all out to beat us!

KState leading UTEP 31 - 0, and the game is not over!!

Doesn't sound like "struggling to me. :wareagle:

They "struggled" about 10 minutes if you ignore the two blocked punts....

Struggling? It's 38-0 KSU in the third. It was 31-0 at half.

Pettway is a guy I could absolutely see playing that role, and I agree completely that if he shows enough in practice to make coaches believe he can be an upgrade, his redshirt will likely come off.

So, are we just going to forget this year and struggle with a FB that can't get the blocks made?

Worry about next year...next year....we need something to happen next week.

No, it means that we shouldn't try forcing a square peg into a round hole just because we don't have a Jay Prosche equivalent on the team. I sincerely doubt that Barber is ever going to be a fullback with the same makeup as Prosche or Eric (had to check, but it is spelled with a 'c') Smith, and trying to change him into that instead of letting his ability evolve as best it can would be foolhardy, IMO. I could see him filling in at FB some, even making some strides as a lead blocker...but again, I think we're far more likely to see him in a Ronnie Brown type of role than anything else that has him run blocking.

Besides, let us not forget that Gus Malzahn is the master of adaptation. If we can't find an adequate lead blocker amongst the skill players, I suspect we'll see more misdirection plays and pulling linemen from one side to the other to lead the way, or maybe even putting Braden Smith in the backfield for a jumbo package.

I guess it was just a slow start

Ur late to the party, they were struggling the first 10-12 minutes of the game, where as they were not against AU!

Ur late to the party, they were struggling the first 10-12 minutes of the game, where as they were not against AU!

Yeah, well, having the defending SEC Champs coming into their stadium made that a HUGE game for them, whereas it's not uncommon for a good power conference team to start slowly against a clearly overmatched opponent. Honestly, the fact the Wildcats had to come back to beat Iowa State, who had lost to North Dakota St (I think) the week before, made me wonder if they weren't overrated, but then ISU beat Iowa last weekend, so I'm wondering if NDSU wasn't simply the letdown game and the Cyclones start clicking a little better against Baylor today. :dunno:

The first 10-12 minutes are way too early to classify a team as "struggling."

Archived