Ellis Johnson out as Auburn Defensive coordinator

tigerbrotha12

I can see him going to AM over us.

They could more easily afford his salary.

Word is, for various reasons, A&M isn't as high on his list as other options. They are taking a hard look at Odom from Memphis.

That's all the better for Auburn then.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking on twitter, ATM fans seem to think they're getting muschamp as much as Auburn fans. Seems to be all speculation. The only credible source I've seen is the guy from ESPN.

I Lol'd

Pat Narduzzi - Michigan State Best DC in the country. For 1.75 million, he would walk to Auburn

Would he? He might like it where he is. I have no idea one way or the other but not everyone wants to come to the SEC and coach.

Look across the conference at what we are recruiting against in Athens, Oxford, and Bammer town. Part of our issue is we are losing talent to conference opponents on the defensive side. I want a good coach AND a good recruiter. To me that is the allure of Muschamp and Robinson.

I am hearing Boom will bring trob with him. Harbison and Smith out. We will need a linebacker coach how about Spikes? A player with that many years NFL experience couldn't be a bad thing could it?

LB coach? #90 Wild Man Kevin Greene.

Better yet and he is not coaching now.

And he's not coaching- anywhere- for a reason.

And Meyer stepped away and came back... Your point?

Very true. I'm not trying to defend Meyer or predict if Kevin would want to come here, just relaying what Kevin himself has said. He loved being in Green Bay and loved the NFL, he chose to resign for family reasons and the issue wasn't the logistics of being in Wisconsin- it's the time consuming job itself. If you want to believe Kevin is a viable option than by all means please do so, I'm in no position to criticize anyone's opinion and wouldn't want to. WDE.

Looking on twitter, ATM fans seem to think they're getting muschamp as much as Auburn fans. Seems to be all speculation. The only credible source I've seen is the guy from ESPN.

I Lol'd

Nicely played :bow:

If Muschamp don't come, then Pat Narduzzi would be an awesome hire.

It's an interesting idea. It seems that often these hires are not the first person on the list or even the 2nd for that matter.

Phillip Marshall posting on Twitter that Muschamp is AUs No.1 target

I don't doubt that. That has been pretty much what we've heard ever since the opening occurred yesterday. Question is can they land him?

Guest jojo1515

Random reports on Twitter also that Muschamp is the new DC. Nothing credible yet but all posts have shown up the last 5 minutes. May be some small leaking going on

I'll be very surprised if Boom isn't our guy. I haven't seen this much unanimous buzz around an Auburn hire before. It makes too much sense. Gus and Will are perfect for each other because neither one likes the other side of the ball.

I haven't seen 95% of our fan base harp on one guy though. Make a hire alreadyyyy!!! Jeez! What are we supposed to wait 2 whole days for this?!!!!!

I am just hoping for the best possible coaching staff... Spikes with a players NFL championship ring or Greene with a coaches NFL championship ring and having it flashed could very well impress a recruit..

I looked at current FBS football defensive stats (Yds/Game and Pts/Game) to determine who the hot defenses were this year.

Here is a list of their DC's and their schemes, in no particular order:

D.J. Durkin - Florida [3-4 w/OLB-DE Hybrid]

Tyson Summers - UCF [4-3]

Barry Odom - Memphis [4-3 w/DE-OLB Hybrid]

Brent Venables - Clemson [4-3/4-2-5]

Dave Aranda - Wisconsin [3-4]

David Gibbs - Houston [4-3]

John Chavis - LSU [4-3/4-2-5]

Greg Mattison - Michigan [4-3]

Lance Anderson - Stanford [3-4]

Bob Shoop - Penn State [4-3/4-2-5]

Todd Grantham - Louisville [3-4]

Pat Narduzzi - Michigan State [4-3]

Robb Smith - Arkansas [4-3]

Geoff Collins - Mississippi State [4-3]

Phil Snow - Temple [4-3]

Bud Foster - Virginia Tech [4-3/4-2-5]

Tom Hayes - Kansas State [4-3]

Don Brown - Boston College [4-3]

Dave Steckel - Missouri [4-3/4-2-5]

It'll be Manny Diaz smh

I hope not. I used to like Manny, but what happened to him at UTX was similar to what happened with CEJ at AU. Manny brought in his 4-2-5, which was going to help UTX compete with the spread teams in the XII. Instead, UTX couldn't stop the run, then they couldn't stop anything.

There are other non-Power 5 conference DCs to consider: Tyson Summers at UCF and Barry Odom at Memphis are two of the hottest DCs out there. Both will end up at Power 5 conference teams within a year or two. Bert almost picked Odom for Arkansas.

Most times it seems the coach we harp on getting we don't get.

Until we got Gus Malzahn, and then he got whoever he wanted. We harped on Garner, Craig and Harbison, and we got them all. And Ellis Johnson was, on paper, about as good of a hire as we could have made at the time.

It'll be Manny Diaz smh

I hope not. I used to like Manny, but what happened to him at UTX was similar to what happened with CEJ at AU. Manny brought in his 4-2-5, which was going to help UTX compete with the spread teams in the XII. Instead, UTX couldn't stop the run, then they couldn't stop anything.

There are other non-Power 5 conference DCs to consider: Tyson Summers at UCF and Barry Odom at Memphis are two of the hottest DCs out there. Both will end up at Power 5 conference teams within a year or two. Bert almost picked Odom for Arkansas.

I don't know how good he is but the talent level at Texas dropped off a lot and the players had no discipline. Mack let that program go to seed over the last few years he was there.

Archived