Defensive Coordinator Diiscussion

DyeHardAllTheWay

Found an article saying we could be a week away from signing Muschamp. It is from 247 but is free article ( I do not have an account and can read it) so I am guessing it is ok to post the link.

http://auburn.247spo...search-33533469

I think they will finalize before a formal announcement. Remember, Muschamp is on vacation with family and may want to enjoy that before heading to AU to be announced. Malzahn would want to have a presser with Muschamp present.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just in case it does affect Muschamp moving forward:

The buyout issues have been resolved, and Florida is expected to announce Jim McElwain as its coach later today.

@ClowESPN

How does it affect Muschamp that McElwain's buyout at CSU has been resolved?

Two ways....

One, dominoes will start to fall in regards to HC opportunities as CSU will begin looking for a new coach which could open up other opportunities. A school might be willing to take a chance on Muschamp as HC.

Two, current Florida assistants and who may be retained by McElwain and who might want to follow Muschamp. If McElwain is smart he'll keep Durkin. Its been said TRob really likes being at UF and may not be a "guarantee" to follow Muschamp. I know a lot of USCe fans want Lawing to come back, apparently he's an outstanding Dline coach.

"Pro football performance has nothing to do with college football performance."

Oh, I agree but my response was to the use of "transcendent talent". If Dee Ford was a transcendent talent he'd be playing on Sundays...he's on a team and that says a lot but transcendent talents play. My point being Auburn didn't have a transcendent talent and got pretty consistent pass rush last year form a true freshman and an over-achiever who earned his elite status

Gotcha, that makes sense. I'd still argue that there are the Tim Tebows out there, but if you were to counter that QB and DE are completely different conversations in terms of how college talent translates to the NFL, you'd be right :)

I dont know that I'd make that argument because Im not sure there is a position in the NFL thats easy to transition to from college ball. :dunno:

Oh, well in that case there is an extremely long list of transcendent college football talents who didn't make it in the NFL, just like transcendent high school talents regularly flame out in college. The counter argument I offered to myself is that quarterback is a more nuanced position than DE, and you are more likely to succeed strictly on pure athletic skill at the latter position than the former.

Agreed thats my point. I believe its been pointed out the transition from college to pros is much harder than HS to college. I also believe the use of transcendent talent shouldn't be so loosely used because a lot of what is thought to be transcendent doesn't turn out to be as you pointed out. Auburn has had some elite defensive ends leave and basically flame out in the pros..one was taken #1 pick in the entire draft back in the 80s

People forget how important Garner is when it comes to recruiting. Without him we don't have Lawson or Adams.

I'd say yes on Adams, not so much on Lawson. Lawson had bad blood with UGA and Garner before the staff turnover.

I agree. It looked like we got Lawson in spite of Garner.

Can we just name this board "Should Rodney Garner leave or stay"? I guess when the Muschamp news isn't coming in quick enough we tend to get off track.

I think it's odd that everyone thinks a new DC needs to pick his staff. Will Muschamp didn't get to pick his assistants in 2006. We walked in and coached with Dunn and Price. The only new face on the defensive staff was James Willis (aka, Benedict Arnold), and that was only because Joe Whitt decided to move to an off-field position. Muschamp picked exactly ZERO of his assistants despite the fact that we fired the DC from the previous season (David Gibbs). People loved to complain about how Tubs "handicapped" Franklin, but they never had similar complaints on the defensive side of the ball. That was true even though we had five DCs under Tubs, and NONE of them picked their own staff. If you have good position coaches, it's not necessary to burn the entire building down before you remodel.

Oh, I agree but my response was to the use of "transcendent talent". If Dee Ford was a transcendent talent he'd be playing on Sundays...he's on a team and that says a lot but transcendent talents play. My point being Auburn didn't have a transcendent talent and got pretty consistent pass rush last year form a true freshman and an over-achiever who earned his elite status

Gotcha, that makes sense. I'd still argue that there are the Tim Tebows out there, but if you were to counter that QB and DE are completely different conversations in terms of how college talent translates to the NFL, you'd be right :)

I dont know that I'd make that argument because Im not sure there is a position in the NFL thats easy to transition to from college ball. :dunno:

Oh, well in that case there is an extremely long list of transcendent college football talents who didn't make it in the NFL, just like transcendent high school talents regularly flame out in college. The counter argument I offered to myself is that quarterback is a more nuanced position than DE, and you are more likely to succeed strictly on pure athletic skill at the latter position than the former.

Agreed thats my point. I believe its been pointed out the transition from college to pros is much harder than HS to college. I also believe the use of transcendent talent shouldn't be so loosely used because a lot of what is thought to be transcendent doesn't turn out to be as you pointed out. Auburn has had some elite defensive ends leave and basically flame out in the pros..one was taken #1 pick in the entire draft back in the 80s

Really? This discussion has dissolved into bringing Aundray Bruce into it?

I went once upon a time (some time in the 17-20 years ago range, I think) to an Atlanta Auburn Club function at which Pat Dye spoke/drank plenty of wine. He told a bunch of stories, one of which was about Aundray Bruce. He said Bruce was a pretty big screw up and always getting in trouble with hijinks/stupid stuff and as a result he ran a ton of steps. Dye joked the reason he went #1 overall was because of how great a shape he was in due to all the steps he had to run.

Mcclwain wants to keep Trob.

Confirmed or assumed?

coworker said Miami Herald.

Yes, I'm hearing they want Durkin and T-Rob to stay, as well as a few others.

Really? This discussion has dissolved into bringing Aundray Bruce into it?

I went once upon a time (some time in the 17-20 years ago range, I think) to an Atlanta Auburn Club function at which Pat Dye spoke/drank plenty of wine. He told a bunch of stories, one of which was about Aundray Bruce. He said Bruce was a pretty big screw up and always getting in trouble with hijinks/stupid stuff and as a result he ran a ton of steps. Dye joked the reason he went #1 overall was because of how great a shape he was in due to all the steps he had to run.

Nope, its just a point of fact. There are no easy positions in the NFL to transition to from the college game, not to mention, he was the #1 pick regardless of the reasons. Thats all. There are quite a few guys that are screw ups playing in the NFL

I think it's odd that everyone thinks a new DC needs to pick his staff. Will Muschamp didn't get to pick his assistants in 2006. We walked in and coached with Dunn and Price. The only new face on the defensive staff was James Willis (aka, Benedict Arnold), and that was only because Joe Whitt decided to move to an off-field position. Muschamp picked exactly ZERO of his assistants despite the fact that we fired the DC from the previous season (David Gibbs). People loved to complain about how Tubs "handicapped" Franklin, but they never had similar complaints on the defensive side of the ball. That was true even though we had five DCs under Tubs, and NONE of them picked their own staff. If you have good position coaches, it's not necessary to burn the entire building down before you remodel.

We have ONE good position coach on defense and that is Garner. The rest can go.

And Tubs was a defensive mind and Muschamp was a relative newbie to being a DC. It makes sense at this point in his career if you are an offensive minded HC to let a veteran coach of Muschamp's esteem pick his own assistants. It will be HIS defense.

I don't think Malzahn would let Lashlee choose all the offensive position coaches nor would he let a new OC come in a replace people on that side of the ball he wants to keep.

And Tubs was a defensive mind and Muschamp was a relative newbie to being a DC. It makes sense at this point in his career if you are an offensive minded HC to let a veteran coach of Muschamp's esteem pick his own assistants. It will be HIS defense.

I don't think Malzahn would let Lashlee choose all the offensive position coaches nor would he let a new OC come in a replace people on that side of the ball he wants to keep.

You may well be right but IMO Melvin Smith is a good coach

Confirmed or assumed?

Miami Herald Story

"McElwain aims to “retain” defensive coordinator D.J. Durkin and defensive backs coach Travaris Robinson, and possibly defensive line coach Brad Lawing, per multiple reports."

I agree. I think Melvin Smith is a very good coach . He did coach a guy to a Thorp award. Give him some players and time to coach them. Plus if we did get Muschamp and he did bring in T Rob, i think the 2 of them coaching corners and safeties would be a fantastic duo.

Confirmed or assumed?

Miami Herald Story

"McElwain aims to “retain” defensive coordinator D.J. Durkin and defensive backs coach Travaris Robinson, and possibly defensive line coach Brad Lawing, per multiple reports."

This could actually make it easier and speed up the process of finalizing the deal with Coach Boom. We should see pretty soon.

Looks like Jim McElain is confirmed to become Florida's head coach. https://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11977425/jim-mcelwain-becomes-florida-gators-coach

I believe things will now speed up with Muschamp. He surely wants to bring some of his staff from Florida and their fate with Florida will be decided shortly.

If the rumors as true and we have approached some of the UF D coaches, it's their decision whether they stay or come to AU. Durkin probably stays but T Rob may decide to come home. We really need to get this done and go recruit.

Confirmed or assumed?

Miami Herald Story

How many of them want to stay there is the question. One or two may want to move with muschamp.

What is the hold-up?! If we know that we're going to get Muschamp, why the delay? Is this strategic or is the negotiations going to take that long?

Hopefully McElwain attempting to keep Durkin and T-Rob will speed this process up and Muschamo can go ahead and lock them up!

They had great penetration all year and our DB's couldn't cover a slant or a screen.

Yeah...no.

Um yea if you didn't see the Interior lines penetration in the run game and in the passing game then you need glasses

Dude, the pass rush was MIA on 90% of our snaps this year. I don't necessarily fault Garner for that, but it's true.

Probably because there was no elite pass rusher.

Lots of teams don't have an elite pass rusher but can still get pressure. It certainly helps, but you shouldn't need a transcendent talent on the line to get some pressure fairly consistently.

So you think Dee Ford is a transcendent talent? He was very good over achiever who had a knack for making a big play at a critical moment. Auburn had neither this season on defense. Lawson may turn into that kind of player but that's a heavy mantle to put on a young player. Losing those 2 hurt Auburn a lot more than I thought it would but it was the only difference but I wouldn't classify either as transcendent talents.

He was considered an elite pass rusher...hence being a first round draft pick. My point is simply that you do not need a Jadaveon Clowney to get a consistent pass rush if your tackles are performing.

Gotcha. We certainly didn't have any pressure from the edge this year and when EJ was expressing concerns about it preseason I had no idea it would become such a glaring liability. Dee hasn't lived up to his elite status and neither has Lemonier but Corey wasn't a 1st round pick. My point is Dee was very good but not transcendent and the fact that he rarely if ever plays for KC seems to bear that out. Auburn simply lacked quickness and athleticism from the outside and they covered it up pretty well early but couldn't keep it covered.

Every first round draft pick is supposed to be elite their ROOKIE season? He went from a DE to an LB and is making the transition. Give him a break.

Exactly. Greg Robinson #2 overall was not even on the Rams active roster the first 4 or 5 games.

I'm pretty sure GRob knows how to play...

Durkin will likely stay on since he is the DC now and would retain that spot. It would also give him the chance to work with an offensive minded HC. That would help him on down the road if he ever wanted to be a head coach himself.

Robinson is the only one of those guys I ever thought we had a shot at or a desire to land. I'd love to have Robinson, but I don't think Rodney Garner, Melvin Smith, or Cheese Harbison forgot how to coach. At the end of all this, if that's the staff under Muschamp, I'm happy. In a dream world, I'd love to add Robinson and move Cheese off-field or into Fountain's position. It's not a necessity though.

Archived