Defensive Coordinator Diiscussion

DyeHardAllTheWay

Wow. He definitely did it with Charlie Weiss. Muschamp hated that guy, and he fired him at the first available opportunity. Weiss was Foley's choice all the way.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Florida friend says Foley basically wants new coach to retain entact the defensive coaches and further specifically wants trob retained. Take it for what its worth.

I just simply cannot imagine that an AD would handcuff his new head coach to the former staff, and further cannot imageine that the new coach would except such terms of employment.

maybe the coach wants this. I don't think Foley would handcuff his new head coach. He's never done that before that I know of.

I could legitimately see it being possible though. He hired an Offensive HC. The reason UF has been horrible the past few years isn't a defensive problem. For the vast majority their D has been fairly stout..so I can see Foley "advising" McElwain to keep the defensive staff intact if possible.

Wow. He definitely did it with Charlie Weiss. Muschamp hated that guy, and he fired him at the first available opportunity. Weiss was Foley's choice all the way.

Did not know that. Foolish move if true that he did that this time. I imagine Durkin would want to stay since he already has the DC title and could benefit from an offensive minded HC. As for T Rob, well I don't have any idea what he wants to do.

A Florida friend says Foley basically wants new coach to retain entact the defensive coaches and further specifically wants trob retained. Take it for what its worth.

What Foley wants doesn't mean that's what he'll get. I also have heard from a source that Muschamp is "definitely" bringing at least one of his assistants to AU. But my source is probably no better than yours.

Al long as we get muschamp I dont care as much who else comes with him or stays from the old staff simply because I dont put nearly as much blame on the staff for our problems as everyone else. Yes I want T Rob. But outside of him I dont care. I just want the type of player Muschamp can bring here. That is what is missing in my opinion. Honestly how can we have 3 or 4 coordinators over the past 5 or so years and all of them be bad coaches but when they move on they tend to do better? I know you all will disagree but I think this defense was doomed to fail no matter who coached it. There simply is not enough quality players top to bottom on this roster. Too many unproven guys playing this year. Yes I am disappointed that these guys have not performed better and some of that does go coaching but some of it is just players not doing what you have been taught. All the late hits and guys just getting beat are not the coaches fault. Thats on the players.

We have been consistently recruiting 4-stars at every position on defense since Chizik arrived, and a couple of 5-stars since Gus arrived. Recruiting talent has not been our problem. Developing talent has been our problem. Maybe we are still overcoming some issues with players recruited to Chizik's scheme, and then BVGs scheme. But 4-series defense DTs are 4-series defense DTs, and 4-series defense DEs are 4-series defense DEs, and 4-series defense LBs are 4-series defense LBs, and CBs are CBs and Safeties are Safeties.

The only bright spot I saw this past year was LB play, most of which was due to having two 4-stars in the roles, with a year of development and play in CEJs system under their belts. The line regressed, and not just due to the injury of one DE. We just didn't get 4-star performance out of the six 4-star players in the DL rotation. We did get solid performance out of 5-star Mo Adams, but even opposing offenses double-teaming him did not make room for those on either side of him from getting through.

Our secondary also regressed this year, despite an army of 4-star recruits over the last few years. We were 85th in Passing Yards per Game, 89th in Passing Yards per Attempt, and 95th in Sacks (I include sacks because coverage contributes to sacks). The only bright spot for the secondary was in Interceptions, where we were tied for 4th.

I just simply cannot imagine that an AD would handcuff his new head coach to the former staff, and further cannot imageine that the new coach would except such terms of employment.

maybe the coach wants this. I don't think Foley would handcuff his new head coach. He's never done that before that I know of.

Correct. Foley realizes that if McElwain fails then he will absolutely be fired. I highly doubt Foley would handcuff his new coach.

I saw an article that said it will be a couple weeks until Muschamp makes his decision. Don't know if some of you saw it

Not likely. The Rivals article yesterday said Gus would make a hire by end of next week at the latest.

http://flywareagle.com/2014/12/04/will-muschamp-to-auburn-update-decision-will-take-weeks/

hopefully that's in dog weeks ... Cuz if it is Internet weeks it will be received on this forum like people decades ...

It makes sense to lose our db coach. Garner will probably stay, imo.

If Harbison is considered our Db coach, Id say let him go, please. Issues between him, Whitehead and Holsey should be just cause to let him go. Plus Im not thinking as a whole they did very well this year.

Wow. How does he keep his job after bringing that cancer in on his own?

I would have to wonder if a coach would throw under the bus his entire defensive staff whose performacne helped him land a top SEC job. That said, all of McElwain's defensive staff are mountain state or west coast folks, so they have no knowledge of the SEC. McElwain will need assistants who know the recruiting territory and the opponents. Also, it may have been part of the deal: Bring your offensive staff, and use CWMs defensive staff. Not a bad idea if the personalities mesh, but if not--watch out.

I know what generally happens when a HC if fired is the assistants are retained, and the new HC dumps those he does not want to keep. However, I do not know if any assistants have clauses to release them if the HC is fired. It might play in buyouts.

I think CWM will want to bring some of his own. I also think he will want to keep some of our folks. CWM ran a thin defensive staff at UF, only three assistants: Line, LBs, and Secondary. LB coach doubled as DC.

Ideally, I would like to keep CRG and bring T-Rob. But CRG has to get more production out of our line next year. We have had four years of mediocre line play, with the only exception being a few standout individuals (Lemonier, Ford, Lawson). The closest we got to dominating line play was last year as Lawson became a force, combined with Ford on the other side. What we need is not necessarily multiple Mo Adams and Carl Lawsons, we need the guys playing next to them to be a Zach Clayton level of player--someone who will get through a single block when the 5-star player beside them is double-teamed.

And we need wholesale improvement in the secondary. Rudy Ford, a converted RB, out played 4-star DB recruits and snatched away a starting role. We recruited too many misses, and we didn't develop talent, and I saw too much back to the ball play by our secondary.

Deal could come at anytime the position coach issue still being worked out in as respectful a way possible. Also may hold off to announce on Saturday. It's a waiting game - Sources

It's possible someone has seen him in Auburn or around the area.

Al long as we get muschamp I dont care as much who else comes with him or stays from the old staff simply because I dont put nearly as much blame on the staff for our problems as everyone else. Yes I want T Rob. But outside of him I dont care. I just want the type of player Muschamp can bring here. That is what is missing in my opinion. Honestly how can we have 3 or 4 coordinators over the past 5 or so years and all of them be bad coaches but when they move on they tend to do better? I know you all will disagree but I think this defense was doomed to fail no matter who coached it. There simply is not enough quality players top to bottom on this roster. Too many unproven guys playing this year. Yes I am disappointed that these guys have not performed better and some of that does go coaching but some of it is just players not doing what you have been taught. All the late hits and guys just getting beat are not the coaches fault. Thats on the players.

We have been consistently recruiting 4-stars at every position on defense since Chizik arrived, and a couple of 5-stars since Gus arrived. Recruiting talent has not been our problem. Developing talent has been our problem. Maybe we are still overcoming some issues with players recruited to Chizik's scheme, and then BVGs scheme. But 4-series defense DTs are 4-series defense DTs, and 4-series defense DEs are 4-series defense DEs, and 4-series defense LBs are 4-series defense LBs, and CBs are CBs and Safeties are Safeties.

The only bright spot I saw this past year was LB play, most of which was due to having two 4-stars in the roles, with a year of development and play in CEJs system under their belts. The line regressed, and not just due to the injury of one DE. We just didn't get 4-star performance out of the six 4-star players in the DL rotation. We did get solid performance out of 5-star Mo Adams, but even opposing offenses double-teaming him did not make room for those on either side of him from getting through.

Our secondary also regressed this year, despite an army of 4-star recruits over the last few years. We were 85th in Passing Yards per Game, 89th in Passing Yards per Attempt, and 95th in Sacks (I include sacks because coverage contributes to sacks). The only bright spot for the secondary was in Interceptions, where we were tied for 4th.

I agree and disagree... While Cass and Frost had their games, the games we lost, their play was lacking. Frost in particular did not take on the block and stuff the hole against GA and turn Gurley/Chubb into help on several occasions. However, both Frost and Cass had their great games when each looked all world. I think LB play this year was much improved, but consistency was lacking. Maybe the 4-2-5 forces too much on the LBs, not really sure since it is not a scheme I played in back in the day. What I see consistently from good defenses, especially the front 7, is discipline in each role and trusting your teammate to make the play if your role is to fill the hole and turn the runner into your other 6x teammates who are responsible for the line of scrimmage. I saw that at times earlier in the year, but after the USC game, our front 7 had trouble playing disciplined football.

The whole defense had bad technique all around: d-line, lb, db's. It's time they all get proper training, I've never seen bump and run coverage without jamming the receiver. Something we never did, lb's are not getting off blocks and plugging holes, and I don't see stunts or swim move technique from our d-line. Waaaaay past time for good fundamental football on d

This is precisely what Tuberville did when he hired Franklin.

This is precisely what Tuberville did when he hired Franklin.

It's a little different for an AD to handcuff a coach than it is for a coach to handcuff a coordinator. The latter is fairly common while the prior is much more uncommon.

Archived